PDA

View Full Version : Does Nickelodeon hate us?

Andrew NDB
07-31-2017, 11:21 AM
This is literally the latest two TMNT offerings from Nickelodeon:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/db/2c/6f/db2c6fc992a5231e61d4253a92f67561.jpg

http://www.highlander-community.com/rise.jpg

Talk about a left AND a right hook.

Candy Kappa
07-31-2017, 11:22 AM
It's not been confirmed yet that that is the official look on Rises.

CyberCubed
07-31-2017, 11:26 AM
No, but Michael Bay is a moron.

Thankfully the movie series is done so it doesn't matter much anymore.

Utrommaniac
07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
I hate them back.

Why is your only nice TMNT thing from IDW? Or with IDW since they get more credit?

Andrew NDB
07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Why is your only nice TMNT thing from IDW?

Because Nick has zero to do with that beyond approvals and telling them, "No, no, that's too violent, dial it back."

Shark_Blade
07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
We actually got the most perfect modern April O' Neil in the silver screen tbh. :tlove: Heck, she even beaten the Shredder.

http://i.imgur.com/DsRJkRX.jpg

That Rise design tho... I'd reject that faster than Teen Titans Go if that is the final design. :tmad:

Vegita-San
07-31-2017, 11:51 AM
I think Nick doesn't really care what we think.

They have an audience of kids to please, that are only used to badly animated flash crap, badly stylized flash crap, or a few handful of CG comedy shows.

I worried that when the sale happened, this is EXACTLY what we would get. I guess we should be thankful it held off for one series at least, even if it hit the movies immediately.

And IDW is thankfully independent of nick. a Reboot from the ground up like that is really what the comic needed at this point.

but as far as TMNT movies and TV shows go, I think the days of appealing to older fans are long gone. might be best to just stick with the comics.

like I said in the other thread, RIP TMNT. but at least we all for the most part seem to agree this looks horrible for a change :)

Ninturtle
07-31-2017, 11:56 AM
It's not been confirmed yet that that is the official look on Rises.

basically what I was going to say. People need to chill out and wait for official confirmation about the design.

snake
07-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Yeah, probably.

Andrew NDB
07-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Imagine if this does end up being FAKE... but then the real designs end up actually being significantly worse?

plastroncafe
07-31-2017, 12:32 PM
They'd have to care about you in order to hate, you and they don't.
Welcome to Aging out of the Target Demographic.

(ftr: I think that design is adorable)

The Deadman
07-31-2017, 12:42 PM
I eagerly anticipate the rage from the portion of the fanbase that the show is NOT catering to.

Panda_Kahn_fan
07-31-2017, 12:47 PM
Nick doesn't hate us, they just don't care all that much about us. What they care about is profit. They get (most) of the adult fan profit from the IDW license, and collector toys. The non-comic media is made for the children's demographic, and as they see it, that brings in the the largest profit.

plastroncafe
07-31-2017, 12:49 PM
I eagerly anticipate the rage from the portion of the fanbase that the show is NOT catering to.

It's gotten to the point where I'm more excited about the backlash than I am the announcements that spawned them.

Shark_Blade
07-31-2017, 12:56 PM
Count me in the angry mob movement.

http://i.imgur.com/10HLhcy.jpg

First Trump, now this nonsense? Never! #NotMyTMNT

snake
07-31-2017, 01:08 PM
It's gotten to the point where I'm more excited about the backlash than I am the announcements that spawned them.

It doesn't matter how bad something is, as long as you get your superiority tears from angry fans, right?

plastroncafe
07-31-2017, 01:10 PM
It doesn't matter how bad something is, as long as you get your superiority tears from angry fans, right?

I prefer the tears of broflakes the best.
Because they're the ones who've spent the longest time telling me and mine that since we're not the target audience, we should pipe down.

And now...they're not the target audience either.

GoldMutant
07-31-2017, 01:29 PM
It could be worse, you could be getting no content at all like most Viacom properties that may want the opportunities of TMNT nowadays.

As others have said earlier, the Rise info is not "officially" confirmed yet, even if the artwork looks like it is. For the sake of argument, we're comparing one piece of artwork with info not fully elaborated on. It may turn out well, but it also may be weak.

Should the series bomb, however, we're looking at another few year break as we did following The Next Mutation. It'll be revived as a result, maybe with a different direction, or the same material.

As for the films... just let them die honestly. All the threads made won't change the fact that that series is done due to a box office disappointment. There are minimal things that could be reused in future incarnations (and that's being generous), but it's likely going to be forgotten. Even then, 2016 wasn't one of the best theater years as a movie goer myself.

What I'm saying is this though: many franchises under Nickelodeon deserve better. Fairly Odd Parents after being revived, Danny Phantom after its third season. Series such as Harvey Beaks that were squandered by the network. There are probably more examples, but those are notable ones, especially the first two that I grew up on.

Either way, if this is the direction going forward, I'm not following. I'm personally moving onto college by the time Rise officially airs; by then though, I'd rather invest time into other TMNT incarnations. The new will draw in audiences to keep the franchise alive as Nick and IDW have done (I don't know how much PD did in that regard), but eventually, something will have to give. That's the sense I'm getting with this.

Wow, I rambled on for a bit. :lol: These are my general thoughts based on this "leaked" news.

Andrew NDB
07-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Because they're the ones who've spent the longest time telling me and mine that since we're not the target audience, we should pipe down.

Who is saying that? No one above the age of 12 (and that's being generous) has been the target audience of anything TMNT for many years now.

plastroncafe
07-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Who is saying that? No one above the age of 12 (and that's being generous) has been the target audience of anything TMNT for many years now.

Says the guy who made the "Does Nick Hate Us?" thread...

Andrew NDB
07-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Says the guy who made the "Does Nick Hate Us?" thread...

It was kind of rhetorical.

snake
07-31-2017, 01:49 PM

Literally happened once or twice.

IndigoErth
07-31-2017, 02:21 PM
I hope they don't hate us. :ohwell: I mean, many of us aren't just first gen TMNT fans, but we're also first gen Nick kids. Sure, it's gotta remain a kid's network, but come on... don't ruin a 33 year old franchise we had first, and don't ruin today's kids from getting to see how great it should still be and why TMNT is awesome. Don't take away the substance.

We actually got the most perfect modern April O' Neil in the silver screen tbh. :tlove: Heck, she even beaten the Shredder.
April? Where? It's more like April playing Megan Fox rather than the reverse it should be. These Turtles don't even know April... They randomly befriended Megan Fox and Stephen Amell.

Wish we could have just sent her to your house instead of the movie set, then it would be a win-win. You get her and the films wouldn't.

Splinter the boss
07-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Judging by the design of Rise Of The Turtles, yes.

TigerClaw
07-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Nickelodeon wants to play it safe, by creating a more kid friendly version of TMNT, the 2012 kind of pushed the boundaries on what they can show on Kids TV programing.

snake
07-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Nickelodeon wants to play it safe, by creating a more kid friendly version of TMNT, the 2012 kind of pushed the boundaries on what they can show on Kids TV programing.

No, it really didn't because shows like BTAS, JL, and The Clone Wars had far worse sh*t and were a lot more popular and well made than TMNT12.

IndigoErth
07-31-2017, 03:04 PM
If it was even an issue they could have continued with that short stint of Friday night airings they did, and then put more effort into making Half Shell a real thing for the younger ones.

There was a time when the old show "Round House" on Snick actually mentioned sex back in the day. Before the internet came along and the subject became as open as it is now with tweens/young teens. Was surprising to hear on that channel back then. Nick isn't afraid to push it a little and TMNT is hardly the first, but maybe a better time slot would have sufficed rather than trying to neuter it.

Utrommaniac
07-31-2017, 03:26 PM

Korra had already gone way over with the way they killed a lot of the characters. The Earth Queen, P'li, Asami's father...

I think I'd actually love a version of TMNT that comes close to Avatar in terms of writing.

snake
07-31-2017, 03:32 PM
I think I'd actually love a version of TMNT that comes close to Avatar in terms of writing.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/b/be/01cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080205181213

Volume 1 atleast. 2 onwards is not for everybody.

DestronMirage22
07-31-2017, 03:37 PM
The only thing Nick cares about us is the money in our pockets. They don't care about satisfying the fans or creating worthwhile stories, just the profit they can make from 'merch.

Screw them.

Andrew NDB
07-31-2017, 03:40 PM
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/tmnt/images/b/be/01cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080205181213

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder340/500x/63098340/samuel-l-jackson-bitc-youre-goddamn-right.jpg

Splinter the boss
07-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Just wondering, how many of us here in this thread who watch 2012 TMNT will watch next year's show?

snake
07-31-2017, 03:44 PM
I'll watch it regardless. I wouldn't dismiss a TMNT show that quickly.

TurtleWA
07-31-2017, 03:44 PM

I think there could be an entire SNL commercial parody about a breakfast cereal called broflakes. I picture Andy Samberg in it even though he's not on the show anymore. :D

CyberCubed
07-31-2017, 03:47 PM
The Nick cartoon had tons of on screen death and violence. More than Inwould have expected.

IndigoErth
07-31-2017, 03:54 PM
More than Inwould have expected.
Who is Inwould, and why should we care what he/she expected? lol

Just wondering, how many of us here in this thread who watch 2012 TMNT will watch next year's show?
If it's legit like what is being discussed in that other thread and is anything like some of the stupid stuff on tv these days... I'll prob check it out, but I doubt that cartoon style would be able to hook me.

Splinter the boss
07-31-2017, 03:58 PM
I won't. The art style is... I can't find the word to describe it. It's in its own category, especially when we've had something like the current Nick cartoon.

DestronMirage22
07-31-2017, 03:59 PM

I'll give a few episodes a view to see how bad it is, then I'm abandoning it in favor of something competent.

Splinter the boss
07-31-2017, 04:03 PM
I like how you say you want "to see how bad it is" and that you already know you will abandon it.

ProphetofGanja
07-31-2017, 04:05 PM

I tried the Nick show but couldn't enjoy it. I'll give the new show the same chance

DestronMirage22
07-31-2017, 04:11 PM
I like how you say you want "to see how bad it is" and that you already know you will abandon it.

Yeah, Nick hasn't given me any reasons to believe this new show'll be any good. After the fiasco that were the PD films and the way the 2012 show turned out, they up and say they want to make a show that's even MORE childish and humor-oriented?

I already know this thing won't be for me.

TigerClaw
07-31-2017, 04:39 PM
The new TMNT series is Nickelodeon's way on cutting corners, by making it 2D instead of 3D, it will bring the cost down in producing the episodes, so they can probably produce more episodes in 2D then they did with 3D.

GoldMutant
07-31-2017, 04:43 PM

If it airs before the end of summer 2018, I'll give it a shot if we more info.

Otherwise, if the information is something I dislike or airs at a bad time, I'm probably going to skip out.

CyberCubed
07-31-2017, 04:44 PM
The Nick cartoon was easily the best western cartoon of the 2010's after Young Justice. I wouldn't even say Legend of Korra is as good as Nick TMNT outside of Season 3.

I can't think of any other cartoon from 2010 onward as good as those, except maybe the last season of Samurai Jack if you count it although that was a revived older show.

GoldMutant
07-31-2017, 04:50 PM
The Nick cartoon was easily the best western cartoon of the 2010's after Young Justice. I wouldn't even say Legend of Korra is as good as Nick TMNT outside of Season 3.

I can't think of any other cartoon from 2010 onward as good as those, except maybe the last season of Samurai Jack if you count it although that was a revived older show.

There are a few.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes prior to its cancellation. Archer is another. Depending on tastes, the likes of Harvey Beaks, Wander Over Yonder, Star Wars Rebels and various Cartoon Network shows such as Regular Show and The Amazing World of Gumball.

All depends on your viewpoint, but the Nickelodeon cartoon isn't what pops into my mind as the best western cartoon. For a TMNT cartoon, maybe. Not so much compared to others.

Vegita-San
07-31-2017, 04:56 PM
The new TMNT series is Nickelodeon's way on cutting corners, by making it 2D instead of 3D, it will bring the cost down in producing the episodes, so they can probably produce more episodes in 2D then they did with 3D.

i'd like to think it's easier to do 3D these days than 2D

Not as many, if any, Classicly trained animation studios around for one. it's all this horrid flash crap.

And I'd also like to think, that beyond initial show setup, you can save money on a CG show over time by reusing elements, so long as you don't have to create too many totally new elements.

joshvox
07-31-2017, 05:08 PM
They are indifferent to us. As several have said, they will make their money off of us anyway with toys and collectibles mostly. They need to get the kids on board to keep the "brand" rolling. I don't know if this is the final design, but it's definitely going to be something like this in my opinion.

Powder
07-31-2017, 06:50 PM

For sure. Even if its the sum of all fears, I gotta humor my boys. I can't see myself not following through 100% on ANY iteration of TMNT, no matter what. If I have to spend the duration of it complaining, then that's how it'll be, but I won't miss out. :tlol:

ProactiveMan
07-31-2017, 06:50 PM
Nickelodeon loves what Viacom contractually obliges them to love. Money! They probably also love synergy too, but mostly cash!

We'll all die or become financially responsible one of these days, so we're not long term prospects, and from a merch perspective, tweens have already been lost to the demon video games. I think if they want to sell toys these days, they have to aim low.

Having said that, I'll give the new show a shot, asuming that they don't make it too hard for me to access.

ABrown
07-31-2017, 07:07 PM

Transformers Prime says Hi. And then it kicks the shell out of those other three shows.

CyberCubed
07-31-2017, 07:09 PM
Transformers Prime says Hi. And then it kicks the shell out of those other three shows.

Well I don't follow Transformers so I don't know.

Splinter the boss
07-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Couldn't agree more, one of the best shows ever.

PApagreg
07-31-2017, 07:36 PM

Nick TMNT isn't even the best current nick show, that goes to the Loud House

Redeemer
07-31-2017, 08:51 PM

Transformers prime=overrated

DestronMirage22
07-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Transformers prime=overrated

Hey, but it's better than Animated right?

GoldMutant
07-31-2017, 10:15 PM
I think part of the thread's argument has now been shot in the foot. Not entirely, but to an extent.

Oh... Ok. I saw the sneak-peak of the new show. And the Turtles do not look the same as in this picture. Sorry, I can not say more now.

You can not believe me, it's your right. Unfortunately, now I can not say more.
I saw a sneak-peak. TMNT design is very similar to Bay-Turtles. The logo is similar to the one that is drawn here.
Sorry, but that's all I can say for now.

So, that art is a bit fake now for the cartoon design. Not the title, but at least the character design until further notice.

John Pannozzi
07-31-2017, 10:18 PM
What specific people/groups at Nick are you including? 'Cause I'd argue that Ciero Neili & co. care about the fans, though you could call them hired guns.

Cyma Zarghami, on the other hand, I'm not so sure.

It's sad, considering that Nick is producing TV movies of Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, and Invader Zim that are all very much geared towards their hardcore fans. Though these are all passion projects for the original creators, and the online fandoms helped make them happen.

It's funny to consider Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon for a moment. Spike TV (another Viacom network) wanted to make up to John K. for how Nick censored him on the original R&S. So Adult Party Cartoon was his chance to do R&S for adults. But it proved to be very divisive among fans.

So, I kinda wonder if the Adult Party Cartoon debacle has made Nick wary of letting their properties be featured in a more adult-oriented light.

IndigoErth
07-31-2017, 10:24 PM
So, that art is a bit fake now for the cartoon design. Not the title, but at least the character design until further notice.
Well... I dunno if I'd quite call it fake, per se, if the logo title is in fact the same or quite similar to what's real. I mean, no one is gonna come up with that at random, so then it's real...but maybe the Turtle design just wasn't a final concept yet. I guess only time will tell exactly how different it ended up being. (Though I'm kinda expecting some tweaks rather than being entirely different.)

GoldMutant
07-31-2017, 10:29 PM
Well... I dunno if I'd quite call it fake, per se, if the logo title is in fact the same or quite similar to what's real. I mean, no one is gonna come up with that at random, so then it's real...but maybe the Turtle design just wasn't a final concept yet. I guess only time will tell exactly how different it ended up being. (Though I'm kinda expecting some tweaks rather than being entirely different.)

Shh, let me pretend it's "fake news" for right now. :lol:

The logo I don't like if it's almost the same. Too cartoonish with the damn pizza.

Otherwise, eh. Another few months to see the real stuff. Until then, we at least know it's half and half. If the design is akin to the one we saw, meh.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 12:24 AM
This thread needs to be locked until we see what the 2018 show actually is.

Ninjinister
08-01-2017, 01:14 AM
I find it so disconcerting that people spend so much time being angry at things that aren't meant for them.

If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter. You aren't the target audience for most of this franchise's existence. You may never be again.

I mean if it turns out to be something I don't like... I might keep up with it just enough to make sure people don't fake news the S**t out of the Wiki but if it weren't for that I would just ignore it. There have been several incarnations of things I once enjoyed that weren't to my liking that I just straight up never thought about.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 01:33 AM
While I agree, I can see why TMNT is a different case compared to other franchises. For one thing TMNT hasn't really been around all that long. It's not like it has 70+ years of history like Superman/Batman or 50+ years like Spiderman and X-men with dozens of comics, cartoons, movies, etc.

For a long time the TMNT franchise was very small. It really only consists of 3 cartoons, 3 main comic series (Mirage, Archie and IDW), and some movies. Of course there's all the extra stuff like toys/videogames/other comic spinoffs, etc....but if you mean the big stuff it's pretty small.

When you realize there's like 100+ different incarnations of Batman out there, both for adults and for little kids, nobody cares. But TMNT doesn't have that many incarnations so it's weird to see the franchise go in a direction people aren't used to.

Andrew NDB
08-01-2017, 01:37 AM
I find it so disconcerting that people spend so much time being angry at things that aren't meant for them.

If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter. You aren't the target audience for most of this franchise's existence. You may never be again.

I mean if it turns out to be something I don't like... I might keep up with it just enough to make sure people don't fake news the S**t out of the Wiki but if it weren't for that I would just ignore it. There have been several incarnations of things I once enjoyed that weren't to my liking that I just straight up never thought about.

True, but well... here's the thing. You can be upset about a current incarnation of a thing that is selling itself short, populating said low-balled idea of a thing whose potential you wholly realize, even if you're not remotely the targeted audience.

Because guess what happens next? You get a generation of people growing up thinking that's the real deal. It's not.

It's a little like... World War I veterans, if they had the clairvoyance to know WWII was coming, because we were there and knew what to do and what not to do, what worked and didn't work, even if the technology is a little different.

myconius
08-01-2017, 05:55 AM

well the good news is i'll save a lot of time and money if this is in fact legit.

no way i'd waste a red cent on the dvd of this, nor bother an afternoon on something so uninspired.

they should name it- 'Tmnt: Out of the Sewers and into the Toilet'

myconius
08-01-2017, 06:01 AM
If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter.

i do not agree at all!

it might have been unbalanced, but at least the 2012 Nick series had something for old and new fans alike.

not at least trying to target some long-time fans, is what's called alienating.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-01-2017, 07:20 AM
True, but well... here's the thing. You can be upset about a current incarnation of a thing that is selling itself short, populating said low-balled idea of a thing whose potential you wholly realize, even if you're not remotely the targeted audience.

Because guess what happens next? You get a generation of people growing up thinking that's the real deal. It's not.

It's a little like... World War I veterans, if they had the clairvoyance to know WWII was coming, because we were there and knew what to do and what not to do, what worked and didn't work, even if the technology is a little different.

A well-made point, it just the only problem is... it's already too late for that.

Three generations have already been ingrained with other media adaptations that veer away from the source material- the 80/90's kids with fred wolf, the 2000's kids with the 4 kids series, and the most recent batch with Nick's TMNT series. Even if you peeled away the lighthearted Fred Wolf legacy, and darkened the material, a version that went as pure mirage as possible would probably only be seen as just another media incarnation by the casual fandom, possibly referred to as the 'dark turtles' or 'gritty TMNT'.

The genie is never going back into the bottle. New versions are going to keep coming, and as time passes, they are probably going to get even weirder than what we've seen so far. The only core elements that will probably be safe is the four mutant TMNT, raised by splinter, growing up in a city's sewer, and make friends with April and Casey- everything else will probably change, and change again. Sadly, pure TMNT only matters to a few individuals. Is that a really sad fact? Well, as the source material tells us, 'life, at best, is bittersweet'.

Bry
08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
So yeah, based on the confirmed-accurate information, and the blacked-out contact information in the corner, I'm assuming the leaked photo isn't a "fake" so much as it's one of many commissioned tentative/potential character designs made during development. (Obviously.)

So, y'know. They're going in a different direction. That much I think we knew, but I still feel that it has the hallmarks of attempts to "gimmick" up the concept to try to boost toy sales like we've seen in the past.

To answer the threat question: No. They don't care enough to "hate" us. Because really, this forum is a tiny collection of hardcore fans compared to the overall audience they're aiming at. There's nothing "good" or "bad" about that, it's just how the business works -- they're pursuing whatever path they think will bring in the most profit. Whether they're right or not remains to be seen.

It could be worse, you could be getting no content at all like most Viacom properties that may want the opportunities of TMNT nowadays.

I'd be very okay with that. Sometimes it's good for a franchise to take a break for a while. The media market is oversaturated right now, and every corporation is trying to milk every property they own for constant, endless content. Sometimes these properties just kinda... burn out. Better to let them cool off for a while before the next cycle, IMO.

mrmaczaps
08-01-2017, 09:56 AM
This is literally the latest two TMNT offerings from Nickelodeon:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/db/2c/6f/db2c6fc992a5231e61d4253a92f67561.jpg

Man alive. If they take color coding that far..........

Nick implying kids are stupid by making all accessories color coded... pads, wraps and bandana.... lol. Dumb it all down and its just dumb.

But folks will watch it and buy poorly made Playmates toys based off it... so money will still flow in for them.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-01-2017, 10:09 AM
A well-made point, it just the only problem is... it's already too late for that.

Three generations have already been ingrained with other media adaptations that veer away from the source material- the 80/90's kids with fred wolf, the 2000's kids with the 4 kids series, and the most recent batch with Nick's TMNT series. Even if you peeled away the lighthearted Fred Wolf legacy, and darkened the material, a version that went as pure mirage as possible would probably only be seen as just another media incarnation by the casual fandom, possibly referred to as the 'dark turtles' or 'gritty TMNT'.

I still disagree to that notion. While the 1990 film had some sprinkles of FW in it, it still was more successful than the sequels were. Even the most hardcore FW fans love the film and it was more Mirage than it was FW. This and Deadpool, being low-budget films, were successful enough at box office to make a profit. And if TMNT's fanbase is as small as some say it is, filmmakers should easily be able to do a darker take such as Mirage and there would likely be less complaints. As someone who works at a movie theater, surprisingly I saw a lot of kids being taken to see Deadpool by their parents. One boy and a girl even brought their own Deadpool dolls, which is odd. With a lot of fans having nostalgic feelings towards the original movie, something similar towards that direction would definitely get good buzz.

Beating a dead horse, if Batman can escape the camp association, so can TMNT. Anyone who says otherwise is selling this property short!

IndigoErth
08-01-2017, 10:57 AM
If you aren't the target audience, it doesn't matter.
Maybe for a particular series, but as a whole...? There's a very willing older target audience that just wants to be one of the targets, not necessarily the only target, and yet so far few are willing to accept that offer.

It's not kids who are buying two of everything, it's not kids who are buying all these adult-intended collectables in a collectables market that took notice, and yet... where is the media (aside from comics) to support it...

Mostly, it's just sad.

I don't want to feel like they've stopped existing. Sure, there will always be the old stuff, but it's not the same as feeling like they're continuing to thrive. And if they turn them into, well, as 2014 Vernon would say, "froth," and dumbed down until there is no reason for young viewers to find attachment to the characters anymore or any reason to care to see them stick around, what is there really.

I'm glad though that in this day and age there are people in these businesses now who are equally fans and would gladly throw them a lifeline if able and hopefully someday will.

edit: I mean, we're not asking for something like Romper Room/Sesame Street/Blue's Clues to make an adult version, we're asking for something that was originally for an older audience to at least still partly be, and not limited to just one media form.

plastroncafe
08-01-2017, 11:19 AM

This is pretty much exactly what I did with the Next Mutation and the Image run.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 11:33 AM
This is pretty much exactly what I did with the Next Mutation and the Image run.

The Image run had some good stuff in it, you missed out.

plastroncafe
08-01-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm sure it did, but at the time weeding through the books for that some wasn't worth the expenditure.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 11:38 AM
But the series was only 23 issues long, and the issues that were most skippable was the ones with the Image superhero crossovers. Skip those and everything else is there.

plastroncafe
08-01-2017, 11:40 AM
The hardsell isn't going to work on me, I don't have a time machine.
And if I did, going back in time to say: Hey! Instead of paying for textbooks and/or booze, maybe you should buy this ongoing monthly that isn't working for you.

Because...no.

CyberCubed
08-01-2017, 11:43 AM
That doesn't make sense though, many people go back and pick up comic runs years after they ended. I didn't collect all of Image until the early 2000's years after it concluded. You think you can't pick up comics after they end?

Bircher
08-01-2017, 11:46 AM
It seems they are trying to kill the franchise. They are doing to it what kills every other popular thing.

And saying that they are targeting a certain age demographic is bunk. My kids hate the crap they are pumping out in the name of TMNT.

If they were smart, they would try a couple different ways to reach the broad TMNT fan base.

a kid friendly cartoon

a annual or bi annual straight to DVD like DC does targeting fans of the Mirage line of comics.

Then perhaps a midrange to try and capture both. Kinda like IDW is doing.

plastroncafe
08-01-2017, 11:48 AM
No, I'm explaining why I didn't continue reading it when it was a live publication.

I read a couple of issues.
Didn't like them.
Stopped buying them.
Ignored the rest of the run.

No where did I say I haven't read it since, or don't have access to the issues.
As a series it's an interesting time capsule of one kind of 90s comic.
Especially since there's a damn near straight line from that incarnation to what we've got from the PD flicks.

TurtleWA
08-01-2017, 12:00 PM
well the good news is i'll save a lot of time and money if this is in fact legit.

no way i'd waste a red cent on the dvd of this, nor bother an afternoon on something so uninspired.

they should name it- 'Tmnt: Out of the Sewers and into the Toilet'

Why would an artist choose to use two shades of purple like that? Needs more contrast. All the lighter purple/pink needs to be black. And the belt needs a complete redesign.

IndigoErth
08-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Can't remember if I asked yet (in the other thread?) or only thought it... but what's up with the purple straps on Donnie's shoulders? Shell and plastron not real or otherwise removable...?

TurtleWA
08-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Can't remember if I asked yet (in the other thread?) or only thought it... but what's up with the purple straps on Donnie's shoulders? Shell and plastron not real or otherwise removable...?

My guess is that the straps are suppose to attach to the belt somehow. I would like to see some color fixes on this design.

myconius
08-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Why would an artist choose to use two shades of purple like that? Needs more contrast. All the lighter purple/pink needs to be black. And the belt needs a complete redesign.

this design is really an eyesore!
let's just say hypothetically- the show is really funny, and well written.
(very doubtful by looking at this design, but let's say it anyway.)

staring at these overly vibrant clashing colors is serious eyestrain just waiting to happen!

myconius
08-01-2017, 12:30 PM

i think those straps are for using one of those 'Magic Poop Collector' / 'Poop Trap' devices they were trying to sell to dog owners a while ago.

maybe this cartoon show is a new marketing strategy to try to bring them back?

TurtleWA
08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
this design is really an eyesore!
let's just say hypothetically- the show is really funny, and well written.
(very doubtful by looking at this design, but let's say it anyway.)

staring at these overly vibrant clashing colors is serious eyestrain just waiting to happen!

Agreed. It's like the artist is a troll:lol:. Though call me crazy with a total recolor the form isn't terrible. Perhaps someone could give Don some toenail clippers too.

IndigoErth
08-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Yeah, based on the example of that color pallet, I keep wanting to scan an image or two from my grown up TMNT coloring book and digitally give it the Lisa Frank treatment. (Maybe a Mirage page, that would be hilarious since it doesn't suit it.)

Because if Donnie's coloration is any indication, I feel like a whole series that looks like that is going to look like a Lisa Frank TMNT show.

And if the guys don't recall what Lisa Frank is, it's this stuff, beloved by middle school girls for ages:

https://cupofourtay.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/lisa-frank-is-real.jpg https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/21/8d/48/218d480b5ac02fe2f9aeb0f4a7a4dc08.jpg

myconius
08-01-2017, 12:45 PM
I feel like a whole series that looks like that is going to look like a Lisa Frank TMNT show.

And if the guys don't recall what Lisa Frank is, it's this stuff, beloved by middle school girls for ages:

https://cupofourtay.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/lisa-frank-is-real.jpg https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/21/8d/48/218d480b5ac02fe2f9aeb0f4a7a4dc08.jpg

YIKES!!!!!!! :o

yup! they Lisa Frank'd it!!!

they Lisa Frank'd it to HECK!!!!! :lol:

snake
08-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Not sure where anyone is seeing a Lisa Frank influence because that stuff is way better looking and aesthetically pleasing than the bland CalArts style we saw.

Stop sh*tting on Lisa Frank too, that art is candy in physical form.

myconius
08-01-2017, 01:26 PM
candy has been known to cause cavities and possibly lead to diabetes.

Candy Kappa
08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Maybe it's based off those terrifying figures that had removable shells.

John Pannozzi
08-01-2017, 06:48 PM
I still disagree to that notion. While the 1990 film had some sprinkles of FW in it, it still was more successful than the sequels were. Even the most hardcore FW fans love the film and it was more Mirage than it was FW. This and Deadpool, being low-budget films, were successful enough at box office to make a profit. And if TMNT's fanbase is as small as some say it is, filmmakers should easily be able to do a darker take such as Mirage and there would likely be less complaints. As someone who works at a movie theater, surprisingly I saw a lot of kids being taken to see Deadpool by their parents. One boy and a girl even brought their own Deadpool dolls, which is odd. With a lot of fans having nostalgic feelings towards the original movie, something similar towards that direction would definitely get good buzz.

Beating a dead horse, if Batman can escape the camp association, so can TMNT. Anyone who says otherwise is selling this property short!

And the 4Kids TMNT took far more from Mirage than from Fred Wolf, and it became a bit of a cult favorite among action animation fans.

IndigoErth
08-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Not sure where anyone is seeing a Lisa Frank influence because that stuff is way better looking and aesthetically pleasing than the bland CalArts style we saw.

Stop sh*tting on Lisa Frank too, that art is candy in physical form.
Ain't nothin' against Lisa Frank, that stuff was around back when I was young enough to appreciate it, but I'd prefer the Turtles not look like a similarly psychedelic sugar trip.

And that bright pinky purple Donnie has going on there... Not to ninja-ish if your gear is as bright as reflective safety tape. lol I'm a little afraid that whoever ends up with the lightest green skin may end up looking like a glowing Turtle.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-01-2017, 09:02 PM

My point never was how mirage 4kids was or was not, my point simply was 4kids is definitely a different animal than Mirage, and so were the movies.

Of course TMNT can escape camp, that wasn't my point. My point was how much TMNT had drifted from the source with the various incarnations, and how that continued drift is inevitable.

Coola Yagami
08-01-2017, 11:18 PM
They don't hate us, they just don't care about us. We are not the target audience. The only adults Nick thinks buy TMNT merchandise are only doing so to shut their bratty kids up at the toy store.

CyberCubed
08-02-2017, 03:27 AM
They don't hate us, they just don't care about us. We are not the target audience. The only adults Nick thinks buy TMNT merchandise are only doing so to shut their bratty kids up at the toy store.

That's not true at all. The IDW comics were greenlit for adults (everything that happens in it is a nod to older series only adults would know about) and half the toys made nowadays from all those other companies are aimed at collectors in the adult market.

The Nick cartoon was also written to be enjoyed by everyone of all ages.

Andrew NDB
08-02-2017, 10:10 AM
That's not true at all. The IDW comics were greenlit for adults

Why is Nick stepping in and making IDW censor it constantly, then? And Nickelodeon had nothing to do with the IDW comics beyond, "OK, we'll allow you to do this comic if you pay us X in licensing fees and give us veto power over every issue you put out."

ABrown
08-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Do they hate us? Nah, but they do need to copy off Disney's homework as to how to properly handle a popular franchise that they've purchased.

Andrew NDB
08-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Do they hate us? Nah, but they do need to copy off Disney's homework as to how to properly handle a popular franchise that they've purchased.

Remake the first movie but pretend it's a sequel with Venus leading the team, then make an April O'Neil spinoff movie?

I dunno...

ABrown
08-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Remake the first movie but pretend it's a sequel with Venus leading the team, then make an April O'Neil spinoff movie?

I dunno...

True, but I'll take the Rebels cartoon over Nickelodeon's TMNT series. I guess I should really give more credit to Dave Filoni than Disney for that though.

Xav
08-02-2017, 11:39 AM
As a series it's an interesting time capsule of one kind of 90s comic.
Especially since there's a damn near straight line from that incarnation to what we've got from the PD flicks.How is the Image series anything like the PD films?

plastroncafe
08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
How is the Image series anything like the PD films?

Bias on the table, I've read more Savage Dragon and Vanguard than I did the TMNT run from Image, and I've only seen the first PD movie.

That said, the 'roided out physiques, and bombastic violence and action set pieces in the first PD movie are very reminiscent of similar things found in 90s era Image books. Which, to me, seemed to take the muscle-bound stuff from the Two Big and turn them up to 11.

ACTION! BRAWN! RAWR! to the ^nth degree.

Vegita-San
08-02-2017, 12:22 PM

I dunno...

oh god no. disney is one more bad star wars movie away before i throw in the towel on seeing them first run in the theater. I almost wish they left the classic characters out of it. might have worked better with only the new ones.

we already had april defeating robo shredder. that was bad enough.

CyberCubed
08-02-2017, 12:40 PM
This thread needs to be locked.

Shark_Blade
08-02-2017, 06:32 PM

I dunno...

The shade is strong with this one. :tlol:

Rogue One > The Force Awakens anyway.

tmntfannumerouno
08-02-2017, 07:08 PM
to answer the op's question

Yes, have you seen spongebob?

ZariusTwo
08-03-2017, 04:08 AM

vhe3vSe-mmw

Update: Oh right, it's fake. Most relieved.

pferreira
08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Oh cool, you found that drawing I did when I was eight. :lol:

The new TMNT series is Nickelodeon's way on cutting corners, by making it 2D instead of 3D, it will bring the cost down in producing the episodes, so they can probably produce more episodes in 2D then they did with 3D.THAT is not 2D. I've seen 2D animation, that is not it. :o

The genie is never going back into the bottle. New versions are going to keep coming, and as time passes, they are probably going to get even weirder than what we've seen so far. The only core elements that will probably be safe is the four mutant TMNT, raised by splinter, growing up in a city's sewer, and make friends with April and Casey- everything else will probably change, and change again. Sadly, pure TMNT only matters to a few individuals. Is that a really sad fact? Well, as the source material tells us, 'life, at best, is bittersweet'.Yeah I think some fans need to embrace other versions of TMNT. Do Nick hate us fans? No otherwise they would have done nothing with the licence. Now I'm not saying they're doing this out of the goodness of their own hearts, they need to make money but the fact is they've been doing something with the licence. Every five years they'll be a new iteration of TMNT and we can either accept it or ignore it. But I would definitely try to consider and enjoy TMNT beyond Mirage Volume 1 which many fans really don't like to do.

Do they hate us? Nah, but they do need to copy off Disney's homework as to how to properly handle a popular franchise that they've purchased.For a second there I thought you were talking about Star Wars but then I immediately thought "no way has Disney done their homework". The Force Awakens was terrible to watch.

I almost wish they left the classic characters out of it. might have worked better with only the new ones.As some fans learned the hard way it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

Andrew NDB
08-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Rogue One > The Force Awakens anyway.

I guess so. If only because it's not a scene-for-scene remake, despite being pretty... empty.

myconius
08-03-2017, 11:23 AM
I guess so. If only because it's not a scene-for-scene remake, despite being pretty... empty.

it was pretty much a remake, only the more i watched SW:TFA the more the plot holes started glaring at me.

Vegita-San
08-03-2017, 12:17 PM
remake it was.

But i thought it had more of a sense of fun and character that Empty R One was missing.

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 12:19 PM
that Empty R One was missing.

I bet you thought you were clever when you made up that name.

neatoman
08-03-2017, 12:39 PM
I think we can all agree on one thing...
Last Jedi is gonna suck.

Vegita-San
08-03-2017, 12:52 PM
How dare you hate on Space Penguins ;o)..

snake
08-03-2017, 01:03 PM
I dunno. Maybe it'll be good.

Maybe?

Maybe?

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 01:13 PM
The new Star Wars films will be critically acclaimed.

Andrew NDB
08-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Probably the same as always. Everyone will swear it's the best movie ever for 2, 3 weeks and then the slow realization that it's sh*t will dawn on them.

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 01:19 PM
I think this one will be very good. Star Wars has great track record with middle films, they're usually the best.

snake
08-03-2017, 01:21 PM
It can't be worse than TFA. I think that it'll be good solely on the principal that it isn't TFA.

I think this one will be very good. Star Wars has great track record with middle films, they're usually the best.

uh
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fweekdaymatinee.files.wordpress.com %2F2011%2F10%2Fattackclones.jpg&f=1

Andrew NDB
08-03-2017, 01:25 PM
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fweekdaymatinee.files.wordpress.com %2F2011%2F10%2Fattackclones.jpg&f=1

That was really the only prequel I didn't like at all. So flat.

snake
08-03-2017, 01:27 PM
That was really the only prequel I didn't like at all. So flat.

Yeah, it's certainly the worst out of the bunch. Coincidentally, it has the least action figure potential out of the three as well.

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 03:33 PM
For some reason the prequels totally slipped my mind, I just meant the original trilogy. I liked most of Episode III and Episode I is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I think I was only like...13 or so when I saw Phantom Menace in theaters, so I was pretty much a kid at the time so I have fond memories of it.

snake
08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
It's nowhere near as bad as people say it is.

That being said, it's pretty bad.

Vegita-San
08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Probably the same as always. Everyone will swear it's the best movie ever for 2, 3 weeks and then the slow realization that it's sh*t will dawn on them.

it's ok that people like the new stuff... i just happen to think they are so used to crap, they don't realize true GREAT stuff when they see it.

studios don't have to try anymore.

it's all just recycled at this point..

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 06:37 PM
We're literally living in a golden age of superhero and sci-fi movies. You people aren't watching anything.

snake
08-03-2017, 06:45 PM
We're literally living in a golden age of superhero and sci-fi movies. You people aren't watching anything.

Quality>Quantity

GoldMutant
08-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Totally explains why we're getting quality television shows for superheroes. :roll: Movies are subjective.

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 07:24 PM
The 90's and 80's barely had any good superhero movies aside from like...3-4.

ZariusTwo
08-04-2017, 05:19 AM

If only Mark Hamil would get off his ''sequels are treating my character like crap'' soapbox. I don't know if it's just method or not though

Vegita-San
08-04-2017, 05:25 AM
well, they really are. no ones evolved since the last films and some have degraded.

they should be ruling the galaxy at this point. not doing the same crap.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-04-2017, 06:28 AM
The 90's and 80's barely had any good superhero movies aside from like...3-4.

The superhero film boom didn't start until around 2000. If characters like Batman and the TMNT are superheroes or not is also a question.

eskater
08-04-2017, 08:58 AM

I take it this sentiment comes a lot from the FW cartoon. Totally understandable, after I discovered the comics I realized a lot of people in my age group and around it barely know anything about the comics and it can be kinda weird talking to them about better versions of the turtles since they hold the FW cartoon in such high regard.

GoldMutant
08-04-2017, 11:14 AM
I'd be very okay with that. Sometimes it's good for a franchise to take a break for a while. The media market is oversaturated right now, and every corporation is trying to milk every property they own for constant, endless content. Sometimes these properties just kinda... burn out. Better to let them cool off for a while before the next cycle, IMO.

Eh, maybe I overreacted just a bit when I did that. :lol:

The point I did want to make is there are several Viacom properties that have been on the shelf for some time. They could definitely benefit from getting the exposure that TMNT as of late. Although I do feel the content should be accessible and, depending on who you're aiming for, entertaining.

As for TMNT, I do agree that it's nearing a point we may need another hiatus for the franchise. Personally, I'm okay with it. It did happen before I was born from Next Mutation up to the release of 2k3 Turtles for a few years. Otherwise, it's going to reach oversaturation, especially as the new cartoon (Rise) is either immediately after the Nick show ends or a few months after. It could definitely reach oversaturation.

Going off topic, but I do feel it's happening with the MCU. It just becomes the same to me after a while. Though I have fun watching them, it does become tiring.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 11:21 AM
I take it this sentiment comes a lot from the FW cartoon. Totally understandable, after I discovered the comics I realized a lot of people in my age group and around it barely know anything about the comics and it can be kinda weird talking to them about better versions of the turtles since they hold the FW cartoon in such high regard.

The story of my life.

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 11:32 AM
That's the same with any comic book franchise. In terms of Batman your average person still thinks Dick Grayson is Robin. You tell them there's been 4 Robin's and they'll stare at you dumbfounded.

You go to your average person and tell them Mile Morales is Spiderman, they'll ask you, "Who the hell is that, Spiderman is Peter Parker!"

You think your average person knows anything that goes on in DC or Marvel comics? I think some of you easily forget how "obscure" comic books are. They're far below movies, TV shows, cartoons or videogames.

neatoman
08-04-2017, 11:44 AM
You go to your average person and tell them Mile Morales is Spiderman, they'll ask you, "Who the hell is that, Spiderman is Peter Parker!"

Huh, that boring character might fade into obscurity sooner than I thought then...

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 11:52 AM
It's the same bizarre thing as Star Wars fans being upset the whole expanded universe from the comics was rendered non-canon when Disney bought the license. Your average person has no idea what happened in Star Wars comics, that Luke and Han/Leia have had kids or all these new characters or that the Emperor returned as a clone or other nonsense.

They made new Star Wars movies and the comics are irrelevant. Even the new current comics by Marvel don't really impact the movies at all, so to your average person they may as well not exists.

Comic books haven't been big since the 80's.

eskater
08-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Huh, that boring character might fade into obscurity sooner than I thought then...

I actually enjoy Miles Morales as Spiderman right now in the comics than I do Peter Parker honestly. I'm more into Peter's clones right now anyway....especially Kane.

ZariusTwo
08-04-2017, 12:32 PM
The Renew Your Vows Peter Parker should be the actual Peter Parker.

neatoman
08-04-2017, 12:39 PM
I actually enjoy Miles Morales as Spiderman right now in the comics than I do Peter Parker honestly. I'm more into Peter's clones right now anyway....especially Kane.

I haven't really read Peter since shortly after Superior ended, I don't really find the "Parker Industries" angle very interesting. It looks like they're winding that aspect down now, so I might pick up a used trade when it's over, see if it was any good. With Peter there's so much to read I prefer reading older stories I haven't gotten to before, more or less the same attitude I have to most "big" Marvel/DC books.

I did read Kaine's title until it was cancelled, shame too, I actually thought it was pretty decent. Same with Venom, the Flash one before he joined the Guardians. I'm trying to get into Venom now that Eddie is back, let's see how that goes.

As for Miles... I read his original series, it was so boring. I did not find Miles interesting on his own, he didn't seem to bring anything new to Spider-Man and the story felt like it took forever to get anywhere. From what I can tell, none of this has really changed, he's just been moved to the main universe and pretends like he always belonged there.

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Miles Morales is just spanish/black Peter, that's it.

neatoman
08-04-2017, 12:55 PM

Yeah, more or less. There's nothing wrong with him being spanish/black but he needs actual character traits or some conceptual differences to be worth reading, otherwise I might as well just read the original USM run.

plastroncafe
08-04-2017, 01:05 PM

How do you know this, Mr I Don't Even Read Comics?

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 01:38 PM
I base my knowledge off the wonder that is the internet. I have no time or money to spend on non-TMNT comics.

snake
08-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I base my knowledge off the wonder that is the internet. I have no time or money to spend on non-TMNT comics.

If you were really smart you'd read them for free.

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I know that too, but I don't really have any interest in doing that either. I'd rather catch up and watch old movies/tv shows/cartoons in my non-videogame free time than catch up on random comics.

snake
08-04-2017, 01:44 PM
I know that too, but I don't really have any interest in doing that either. I'd rather catch up and watch old movies/tv shows/cartoons in my non-videogame free time than catch up on random comics.

Fair enough. There's only so much time.

eskater
08-04-2017, 02:45 PM
The Renew Your Vows Peter Parker should be the actual Peter Parker.

I'll take back my liking Miles over Peter if this version of Peter becomes the mainstay.

I haven't really read Peter since shortly after Superior ended, I don't really find the "Parker Industries" angle very interesting. It looks like they're winding that aspect down now, so I might pick up a used trade when it's over, see if it was any good. With Peter there's so much to read I prefer reading older stories I haven't gotten to before, more or less the same attitude I have to most "big" Marvel/DC books.

I did read Kaine's title until it was cancelled, shame too, I actually thought it was pretty decent. Same with Venom, the Flash one before he joined the Guardians. I'm trying to get into Venom now that Eddie is back, let's see how that goes.

As for Miles... I read his original series, it was so boring. I did not find Miles interesting on his own, he didn't seem to bring anything new to Spider-Man and the story felt like it took forever to get anywhere. From what I can tell, none of this has really changed, he's just been moved to the main universe and pretends like he always belonged there.

I'm actually going to drop the current Amazing Spider-Man series because I just don't like the Parker industries angle anymore (if I even did to begin with). I loved and still love Kaine and hope he gets his own series again, for the meanwhile the new Scarlet Spider has him hunting down Ben Reilly again. I sorta like Miles just because it's a different angle on what Spidey should be, sorta like the makeup of his origin and all that right now at least, his original series was a little lackluster at times. Although thinking back on it I can see why other people wouldn't be on board with him right away.