View Full Version : Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza Vs. New York-Style Pizza

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 06:04 PM
What pizza gets your vote?

Zu9h41LfuOk

8l2zb2wGINc

Turo602
08-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Been to New York, had some Pizza around there, don't get it. Chicago all the way.

ToTheNines
08-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Both good, but I'm an Illinois boy. I'd kill for some Lou Malnati's or Gino's East right about now.

Candy Kappa
08-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Never had Chicago-Style, looks less like pizza and more like a greasy tomato pie. Looks gross but probably is delicious... if you survive the heart burn :lol:

Is New Yorker normal pizza?

plastroncafe
08-02-2017, 06:20 PM
I don't know that I would consider Chicago Pizza to be Pizza, it's more like a casserole or a lasagna.

IndigoErth
08-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I need some normal pizza. Don't care if it's deep dish or thin crust, but I'd go with whoever isn't putting anything weird in or on it. And both locations are capable of some strange ones I'm sure.

Just looked up the Chicago one... how is that pizza? Guess I'm going with closer NY, but still... nothing weird, please. Hopefully I can trust a place that's regionally closer.

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Never had Chicago-Style, looks less like pizza and more like a greasy tomato pie. Looks gross but probably is delicious... if you survive the heart burn :lol:

It could be considered more thin of a crust than your "normal" style pizza. SOTO opening scene has some if memory is correct.

Powder
08-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Not sure what passes for normal in Norway, but generally speaking, yeah. It's like the standard idea (as in, not "chain") of pizza. If you go to an actual pizzeria, their normal slice is basically what people consider New York styled.

snake
08-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Can't pick because I've never had Chicago Style. I'd try it in a heartbeat though. That stuff looks GOOD.

ToTheNines
08-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Can't pick because I've never had Chicago Style. I'd try it in a heartbeat though. That stuff looks GOOD.

There's probably an Uno Pizzeria near you. They do a good pie too.

snake
08-02-2017, 06:46 PM
There's probably an Uno Pizzeria near you. They do a good pie too.

Uno. Man, last time I went to Uno I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning because my pizza went straight into the toilet from both ends. They moved out awhile ago.

Turo602
08-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Giordano's is where you go if you want deep dish in Chicago. I don't know why people are turned off by the tomato sauce being on the outside, it's still got all the same ingredients.

snake
08-02-2017, 06:54 PM
It looks good too. The only turn off for me is the sheer amount of cheese on some.

Turo602
08-02-2017, 07:07 PM
It looks good too. The only turn off for me is the sheer amount of cheese on some.

A lot of the pictures on google seem to be grossly overdoing it with the cheese. I think this is a more accurate depiction of what it's like.

http://giordanos.com/content/uploads/14-giordanos-restaurant-pizza.jpg

IndigoErth
08-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Sir, are you aware that your pizza is inside out...?

I love a lot of sauce on mine, but how is that even gonna hold it on. (Although chunky sauce is a no-go.)

edit: All I have in the freezer is some store brand knock off of Ellio's... but now I'm gonna havta' eat it.

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Sir, are you aware that your pizza is inside out...?

I love a lot of sauce on mine, but how is that even gonna hold it on. (Although chunky sauce is a no-go.)

edit: All I have in the freezer is some store brand knock off of Ellio's... but now I'm gonna havta' eat it.

Inside out pizza now that's funny. If I had that pizza pictured I would dip breadsticks in the top layer and then when I consumed enough sauce I would dig into the rest. Carb overload Nom nom nom.

Turo602
08-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Inside out but de-f*cking-licious. :tgrin:

Cure
08-02-2017, 08:32 PM
I prefer New York style pizza. Nothing against Chicago style, though.

TurtleWA
08-02-2017, 10:05 PM
If you like watching things about pizza and have the time I added two videos in the first post.

snake
08-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Margherita pizza is great too. It beats typical new york style any day.

plastroncafe
08-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Where does Sicilian Pizza rank?

Powder
08-02-2017, 10:36 PM

Super high on the hella good chart.

snake
08-02-2017, 11:03 PM

I've yet to have a Sicilian pizza that impresses me.

TurtleWA
08-03-2017, 12:12 AM

I have no idea. But I would love to find out by way of taste test.

triplexxx
08-03-2017, 01:11 AM
Large & Flat vs Thick & Compact. The New York style does fascinate me, probably pretty darn good as long as it's not too crispy, as for the Chicago style, probably more appetizing to me, though you need silverware to eat it, kind of like a quiche. I remember seeing the turtles eat deep dish at least once (Ninja Sword of Nowhere), but never does it look like actual New York style.

snake
08-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Do you guys really use silverware to eat deep dish? I always assumed you could pick it up.

Turo602
08-03-2017, 01:42 AM
Do you guys really use silverware to eat deep dish? I always assumed you could pick it up.

You could if you want. You can still pick it up like a normal pizza though.

ProactiveMan
08-03-2017, 01:58 AM
I'm going to say New York, because we don't really have Chicago-Style here. I guess we have something similar to New York-style in that you can get thin-crust pizza virtually everywhere. I always picture New York-style as being really large though, and our pizza isn't like that. You wouldn't typically buy it by the slice for example.

Deep-pan pizza isn't very common here outside of fast-food chains, and those guys go in for all kinds of degeneracy, like putting things in the crusts, and shaping the pizza like a snack bowl 'n stuff.

asfaloth12
08-06-2017, 02:51 PM
While living in Chicago, I loved Giordano's deep dish pizza (as Turo602 mentioned earlier). Highly recommend it to anybody visiting Chicago. Delicious (but only as a rare treat :D. Don't want to think about how many calories are in it. ).

Candy Kappa
08-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Not sure what passes for normal in Norway, but generally speaking, yeah. It's like the standard idea (as in, not "chain") of pizza. If you go to an actual pizzeria, their normal slice is basically what people consider New York styled.

ah, both thick crust and thin crust are "normal" pizza in Norway. I wasn't sure if there was anything "weird/unique" with the NY style since Chicago Deep Dish was so different.

Usually restaurants have pizza closer to traditional Italian pizza and take-out places are more thick crust "American style". The most exotic you'd find would be like a calzone, we're very conservative with pizzas, although that was that one pizza-burger that came in the stores, but that's discontinued.

Frozen Pizza are a lot bigger in Norway since take-aways are more expensive, like with delivery you'd easily look at a $40 for one pizza if not more.

This is the most eaten frozen pizza in Norway, called Grandiosa (200 thousand people have it as Christmas dinner :lol:) They have different variations but they're usually thinner in crust.
http://matgrossisten-trondheim.no/sites/matgrossisten-trondheim.no/files/product_display/1540-pizza-grandiosa-/product_image.jpg

The biggest rival is Big One which is a bit thicker in crust and sports a American image.
http://img.bramat.no/images/stories/tester/frossenpizza_2014-04/bigone-classic_american_580.jpg

DestronMirage22
08-07-2017, 12:28 AM
New York style for the win! That stuff's the bomb!! :D