PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Should the non-TMNT sections of the forums be closed down?

CyberCubed
08-03-2017, 11:50 PM
For one thing, the main and original reason any of us came to the Technodrome was to discuss TMNT. We're all TMNT fans here, or else none of us would have discovered this forum in the first place. The TMNT sections could use more activity, but they're there for proper discussion.

A lot of the problems of this forums in terms of trolling/controversy/bashing/debates happens in all the non-TMNT sections. The Everything Else section in particular, the Current Events section due to politics and religion, and to a lesser extent the TV and Movies section. Almost all the worst threads or worst debates with people insulting each other happens in those sections the most. You can see it happen regularly and anyone who has been there knows this is true.

If all the non-TMNT sections of the forums were closed, then people would be "forced" to discuss TMNT here, and thus all off-topic discussion can be had in social groups where you have to ask to become a member of. Granted I know the TMNT forums have debates too, but at least it's the main reason we come here.

Should all non-TMNT discussion go to social groups instead of the forums? What do you think?

Discuss.

And before anyone asks, no, this is not a parody thread. Let's see how this thread turns out. As I said before:

Discuss.

IndigoErth
08-04-2017, 12:05 AM
No.

This thread needs to be locked.

While maybe some behavior needs to be curbed, no one is forced to respond. Or read it. Or visit sections they want closed down.

Powder
08-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Honestly, I would have no problem with that.

But really I think it's just the Current Events section that needs to go. People can't respect the no politics/religion thing, & beyond that it only serves to be a celebrity obituary anyway.

Other than that, the only problems are with certain people who create flame-bait threads with the sole intention of watching things burn, because they know the mods aren't around to deal with it.

Autbot_Benz
08-04-2017, 12:15 AM
ya get rid of current events and keep the movie/TV show section that gets a lot of buzz

snake
08-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Ban politics. Keep the rest, sometimes we can have fun.

Krutch
08-04-2017, 12:35 AM
I mostly hang out in the General Discussion side of things so I'd hate to see it axed... but I'm with Powder on this. It's not the section itself thats the problem, it's the people who actively look to cause issues that need to be straightened out.

snake
08-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Interesting to see how the quality of the forums began to decrease as soon as the "no politics/religion" rule was ignored. If you go back to the GD from, say, 2005/2006 you can see people having actual fun. Coincidentally the rule was enforced then. Really makes you think.

Papenbrook
08-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Interesting to see how the quality of the forums began to decrease as soon as the "no politics/religion" rule was ignored. If you go back to the GD from, say, 2005/2006 you can see people having actual fun. Coincidentally the rule was enforced then. Really makes you think.

Yeah. The environment was different.

Anyway, I do think that the "No politics!" rule should be enforced.

snake
08-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Yeah. The environment was different.

Anyway, I do think that the "No politics!" rule should be enforced.

Pretty ironic coming from someone who used to instigate all the time.

DestronMirage22
08-04-2017, 12:59 AM
NO.
Of course not.
I don't know about others, but I like being able to post my thoughts about non-TMNT stuff or how my day went or just chat about anything with fellow members.

I admit things can get heated up, but that's no reason to remove those entire sections because of a couple threads or whatever. The issues need to be solved directly.

newfan
08-04-2017, 01:14 AM
I don't think it's a bad thing, not all of them anyway. TMNT is the main focus of course but a lot of the fans seem to like the same kind of movies/shows so i can't see that it hurts to talk about that. Ive only just joined so not sure how it was to start, have you always done this? I don't care about politics being on here, it doesn't suit this kind of site and there is enough of it everywhere .....but then I don't have to read the threads if I choose not to.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 01:16 AM
Message boards are a dying breed. You remove the community aspect of it that transcends the topic said forum is based... you end up with the same boring thing that every boring Facebook "fan page" is left with.

But the OP didn't make this thread as a serious post. C'mon.

TurtleWA
08-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Forum rules are rarely followed or enforced. Especially rule number six and four. I guess not so much rules as guidelines in the first place. Removing a certain topic area or thread won't stop anything. It will just force those topics to trickle into other areas and really derail threads. If we keep a place for the "hot" issues they can be contained at least. And people can get it out of their systems rather than dumping the issue sneakily into random threads. Trolls and folks that need drama don't care about the section title so much. It basically comes down to mod enforcement if change is required. It would be an interesting experiment if certain sections got closed down for a week or so. You know for "routine maintenance." :tgrumble: :roll:

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 11:30 AM
It would be an interesting experiment if certain sections got closed down for a week or so.

That'd be pretty dumb.

It seems there might be a failure to consider the most obvious of all solutions as to the "hot" threads, political threads, what-have-you: don't click on them. If you're simply unable or unwilling to resist the urge to click on one and then inevitably become upset, that speaks more to you than the original poster.

It'd be like, morbidly obese people asking the government to ban all twinkies from stores so they can't even be tempted to buy them, ever.

IndigoErth
08-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Though I'd like to smack him on the arm sometimes and should in theory be tucking his tail in over the possible link between this thread and the current most inflammatory 'Everything Else' one, I have to agree with Andrew on the community thing. If the thing a forum is dedicated to is in a bit of a lull and not offering all that much to talk about, it's nice to at least keep people around a bit with other things they can connect (or debate) over.

And private groups are just too hidden, they aren't going to encourage a lurker to participate more or catch the eye of someone who isn't in it but might have had something to offer to a discussion...

Hate on the PD films all you want, but after I joined I never had time to check out other parts of the forum until that all settled down. That stuff and the series was enough to keep up with and I didn't bother with non-TMNT areas. But since that isn't really a thing anymore and the series is winding down (with little knowledge of the next), it's nice to have other sections now.

It'd be like, morbidly obese people asking the government to ban all twinkies from stores so they can't even be tempted to buy them, ever.
Off topic (thus spoiler), but I just envisioned them being locked in a glass case like spray paint, razors, and other items, and requiring a doctor's note saying that they believe you can reasonably be okay with eating one of those things, that probably no one should be consuming anyway.

TurtleWA
08-04-2017, 11:34 AM
That'd be pretty dumb.

It seems there might be a failure to consider the most obvious of all solutions as to the "hot" threads, political threads, what-have-you: don't click on them. If you're simply unable or unwilling to resist the urge to click on one and then inevitably become upset, that speaks more to you than the original poster.

Don't click on them? Now that's dumb, my friend.

Warning! Don't click.

you clicked didn't you

Jester
08-04-2017, 11:58 AM
No, that's too draconian. We already have rules for those non-TMNT, they just need more enforcement...and I would if I could, but that sub-forum is out of my limited jurisdiction

GoldMutant
08-04-2017, 12:03 PM
I don't really see the point in doing that. Lately, General Discussion has the more frequent discussion.

At this point with TMNT, there's not a whole lot to fully discuss in the cartoon sections outside new episodes and info relating to the next series. Same with the movies. You can get a discussion out of them, but it does become irritating, especially when a certain someone wants threads locked.

Of course, there's still tons of content that can be discussed. Personally speaking, there just aren't many threads I seek out in TMNT. It brought in many users, that much is true. However, some have fallen out and want to discuss other topics; in general, it does offer some variety as a result.

I will admit that as of late, General Discussion has had a few bad threads. Some of them have been locked, some are in usage. I do feel Current Events should be locked in the distant future because there's really no activity in it. Powder said it best earlier, it's just not working with the current crop of users on specific topics compared to past users.

Locking anything else would be a detrimental blow, especially the Everything Else, Movie, and Video Game sections. There's a ton of content in them, so what would be the point of locking it? You're essentially asking for the forums to speed up their decline by removing a good percentage worth of discussion.

eskater
08-04-2017, 01:26 PM
I honestly didn't think people had a problem with the current event section to be honest. Guess I really need to stick around more. Personally it wouldn't hurt me but I don't really see a reason to get rid of it, just don't go there as often.

plastroncafe
08-04-2017, 02:04 PM
That'd be pretty dumb.

Where as I think it'd just be easier to ban people who go out of their way to be dickrinses.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Where as I think it'd just be easier to ban people who go out of their way to be dickrinses.

Probably just as easy to add them to an "Ignore" list, I would tend to think.

ProphetofGanja
08-04-2017, 02:30 PM
No........

Krutch
08-09-2017, 12:36 PM

The ignore feature is worthless on this forum since you still see threads created by the user, it creates ugly breaks within threads where a post from that user would have posted, and since "ignored" users are generally attention seekers, you're almost guaranteed to read every comment they wrote anyway through other people's posts quoting them.

BubblyShell22
08-09-2017, 02:24 PM
No, I don't think the GD forums need to be closed permanently as it's nice for some of us to vent about our bad days or talk about good things. I agree about the politics thing, but the best thing to do if you don't want to talk about such subjects is to just not click on those threads and only pay attention to the ones you want to add the discussion to.

CyberCubed
08-10-2017, 03:16 AM
The ignore feature is worthless on this forum since you still see threads created by the user, it creates ugly breaks within threads where a post from that user would have posted, and since "ignored" users are generally attention seekers, you're almost guaranteed to read every comment they wrote anyway through other people's posts quoting them.

Heh, this reminds me of how Vegita-san said he has like 10-13 members on his ignore list yet for some reason still posts in threads where apparently everyone is blocked to him.

The Deadman
08-10-2017, 08:26 AM
If only TMNT talk was the only thing to talk about, it would get pretty boring pretty fast. I don't know why people complain about what others talk about on forums. Maybe some aren't Turtles fans but they're here anyway cause they like interacting with others on different topics.

newfan
08-10-2017, 08:46 AM
I've been enjoying reading some of the non TMNT threads today, I'd be up for keeping them.

BubblyShell22
08-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Yeah, some of them are pretty amusing at times.

Prowler
08-10-2017, 04:15 PM
If this became a TMNT only discussion forum it'd lose a lot of activity. The video game and especially the tv and movies sub-forums are quite active.

If anything, maybe forbidding political and religion discussion should suffice it? I used to think it was silly to disallow those, but after so many threads getting disintegrated I can now see why :lol:

sdp
08-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Not only is Cubed correct yet again, but I say he is not going far enough with his post. Clearly this forum is named after "The Technodrome" of the original series. As an official drome t-shirt (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=1373) wearing member I know what I'm talking about.

Clearly many of the users we have now have not only not watched the entire OT but have never even visited thetechnodrome.com and seen this month's POTM! Most only know the forums and not what this site is a tribute to, hint: It's the original cartoon.

I remember when even discussing 2k3 was debated about, so I say we close all non-OT TMNT sections as well and that way all users will be forced to discuss the Fred Wolf cartoon only. We can maybe allow discussion of the original TMNT trilogy and Archie/Mirage comics. Of course we don't need to alienate everyone and any non-OT TMNT discussion can all be held in a single "Other TMNT media" thread where anything post-1999 TMNT related can be talked about.

https://web.archive.org/web/20051215070305/http://forums.thetechnodrome.com:80/

#dromeshirts #delete #commente43didnothingwrong #whereisbenvenuto

Redeemer
08-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Not only is Cubed correct yet again, but I say he is not going far enough with his post. Clearly this forum is named after "The Technodrome" of the original series. As an official drome t-shirt (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=1373) wearing member I know what I'm talking about.

Clearly many of the users we have now have not only not watched the entire OT but have never even visited thetechnodrome.com and seen this month's POTM! Most only know the forums and not what this site is a tribute to, hint: It's the original cartoon.

I remember when even discussing 2k3 was debated about, so I say we close all non-OT TMNT sections as well and that way all users will be forced to discuss the Fred Wolf cartoon only. We can maybe allow discussion of the original TMNT trilogy and Archie/Mirage comics. Of course we don't need to alienate everyone and any non-OT TMNT discussion can all be held in a single "Other TMNT media" thread where anything post-1999 TMNT related can be talked about.

https://web.archive.org/web/20051215070305/http://forums.thetechnodrome.com:80/

#dromeshirts #delete #commente43didnothingwrong #whereisbenvenuto

I think thats a bit too far :lol: I like your enthusiasm though :lol:

Unfortunately TMNT is starting to go into hibernation phase again with the current tv series winding down and the movie franchise pretty much dead. I mostly post in the Non-TMNT section or the Comic section of TMNT. Bc everything else is kind of dead or dying off.

BubblyShell22
08-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Well once Rise of the TMNT starts up and we get more news on that, then discussion will come back again.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Well most younger fans discuss TMNT on tumblr or social media. I'm honestly surprised so many people don't know how huge the Nick TMNT fandom is on tumblr. Mostly consisting of teenagers or young girls, but they're there.

Nobody comes to forums anymore.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 08:16 PM
Tumblr is also filled with plenty of adults. I also don't have a tumblr myself I just use the tags to find TMNT stuff.

Jester
08-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Nines...enough. There are better ways to disagree with Cubed than constantly calling him names.

BubblyShell22
08-15-2017, 11:16 AM
People come here quite a bit. However, you also have to remember that a lot of us have lives outside of the forums and don't get on some of the time.

The Deadman
08-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Well most younger fans discuss TMNT on tumblr or social media. I'm honestly surprised so many people don't know how huge the Nick TMNT fandom is on tumblr. Mostly consisting of teenagers or young girls, but they're there.

Nobody comes to forums anymore.

Pls stop

*10 characters*

Splinter the boss
08-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Ge rid of the messed up sections, not the entire "non tmnt" section. I haven't watched tmnt in a while, and I still come to this forums, why? Because there are other interesting sections, like the tv and movie section, videogame section etc... It would hurt a lot of people if it got taken down as a whole.

ProactiveMan
08-22-2017, 04:15 AM
I dunno man, the PD movie section has caused way more trouble than the GD board in the past. I think the problem is behavior as opposed to topic.

snake
08-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Admit it, the PD board was the best thing to happen to the forums. We got an influx of new members as well as a reason to argue with them!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Admit it, the PD board was the best thing to happen to the forums. We got an influx of new members as well as a reason to argue with them!

:tlol: I like your logic...

Vegita-San
08-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Message boards are a dying breed. .

Yep. and it's mostly because people don't know how to moderate them anymore. force things too much, due to the extreme nastiness of some people, and you loose folks. Force things too little, and things get heated and out of control rather fast due to over emotional people who like to cause trouble.

Message boards where much more fun not even more than 6 years ago.

it's really rather sad.

And Facebook pages are LONG ago a lost cause. they make message boards look like a safe haven.

Ignoring only goes so far.

Once people you ignore realize you have them on ignore, they odly still try to engage you and the cycle continues. you see those quoted posts and feel the need to respond after a while and..ugh.

People come here quite a bit. However, you also have to remember that a lot of us have lives outside of the forums and don't get on some of the time.

unless it's once a thursday ;o).

too quote some popular users, I think this thread needs to be locked. ;o)....

Andrew NDB
08-25-2017, 10:57 AM
Admit it, the PD board was the best thing to happen to the forums. We got an influx of new members

We got an influx of something, anyway...

http://www.1800flowerswindsorheights.flowerama.com/assets/1996/6/web_plant_a_palooza_banner_green.jpg

TurtleWA
08-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Yep. and it's mostly because people don't know how to moderate them anymore.

It's a shame that people can't moderate themselves a little more and that mods are even necessary. I think it's easy to sometimes forget there is another person behind the screen opposite yours.

Vegita-San
08-25-2017, 11:57 AM
It's a shame that people can't moderate themselves a little more and that mods are even necessary. I think it's easy to sometimes forget there is another person behind the screen opposite yours.

yep, but sadly i think the lack of knowing how to mod and adjust modding in this over reactive, overly sensitive world, is part of that too. but that's a tough job i wouldn't want a part in deciding.

there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

BubblyShell22
08-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Well, the best thing to do is if a topic isn't something you want to discuss, don't go there. I think the mods do the best they can, but as I said before, they are just like anybody else and have lives outside of the forums that sometimes take them away from the boards. I think at times like these, we just need to look at what's being discussed and if things get out of hand, report it to the mods or just don't click on those topics if you don't like what's being said.

TheCanadiandrome
09-14-2017, 12:56 AM
No, that's too draconian. We already have rules for those non-TMNT, they just need more enforcement...and I would if I could, but that sub-forum is out of my limited jurisdiction

See maybe then there needs to be more Mods/Admins or things like this need to change and you can do more. What's the point of having Mods if they can't do bugger all?

myconius
09-14-2017, 03:19 PM
We got an influx of something, anyway...

http://www.1800flowerswindsorheights.flowerama.com/assets/1996/6/web_plant_a_palooza_banner_green.jpg

https://resizing.flixster.com/SRt_zscot7DErCWTlYrO_nDL-vc=/720x481/v1.bjsyMzkzNDQ7ajsxNzQ2MjsxMjAwOzcyMDs0ODE

TurtleWA
09-14-2017, 07:12 PM
See maybe then there needs to be more Mods/Admins or things like this need to change and you can do more. What's the point of having Mods if they can't do bugger all?

I wonder where mods/admins even come from. Craigslist? How they get the gig in the first place?

Vegita-San
09-14-2017, 07:25 PM
the mod fairy, between 12AM and 2AM, duh..

Prowler
09-15-2017, 11:23 PM
I wonder where mods/admins even come from. Craigslist? How they get the gig in the first place?
I'm guessing due to 3 main factors:

- Being a good and reasonable poster;
- Being on good terms with the staff;
- Being a veteran user.

CyberCubed
09-15-2017, 11:31 PM
Machias is basically head mod of the entire forums now, isn't she? She's been around for over 15 years.

Prowler
09-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Machias is basically head mod of the entire forums now, isn't she? She's been around for over 15 years.
Yeah, I think so. After the admins/founders Shredder and Krang, she is the user with the most authority around these parts, I believe.

TurtleWA
09-16-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm guessing due to 3 main factors:

- Being a good and reasonable poster;
- Being on good terms with the staff;
- Being a veteran user.

Are you saying mods became members first and then got asked to become a mod?

CyberCubed
09-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Jester became a mod only a few years ago and he's been here since 2004, so over 14 years. But that's because Jester used to be very active on the forums before he became a Dad and was a hardcore TMNT fan for many years. And a fan of all the cartoons and comics. Jester was so hardcore he achieved mod status.

Prowler
09-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Are you saying mods became members first and then got asked to become a mod?
Yes. That's usually how it goes in forums. Admins are the people who found a forum and then they recruit members as moderators as the forum grows.

TurtleWA
09-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Yes. That's usually how it goes in forums. Admins are the people who found a forum and then they recruit members as moderators as the forum grows.

This is the only forum I'm a part of so I don't know a lot about the inner workings. That makes sense though.

TheCanadiandrome
09-19-2017, 12:15 AM
This is the only forum I've been a part of where the inner workings hardly work lol

***First of Two Latin Kings***
09-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Jester became a mod only a few years ago and he's been here since 2004, so over 14 years. But that's because Jester used to be very active on the forums before he became a Dad and was a hardcore TMNT fan for many years. And a fan of all the cartoons and comics. Jester was so hardcore he achieved mod status.

If that's true though, that's ridiculous. Being a hardcore fan doesn't qualify you to be a moderator any more than it would qualify you to be a plumber, electrician, or accountant. Being a moderator requires an ability to solve disputes fairly and diplomatically.

I was a moderator when we had the Volcanic Asteroid, and because people didn't respect the authority Krang had given me and I only had moderation abilities for that section, it didn't last long. People who didn't agree with the decision to make me a moderator purposefully tried to cause problems/havoc.

@CanadianDrome: What are you even talking about?

Vegita-San
09-24-2017, 08:08 AM
If that's true though, that's ridiculous. Being a hardcore fan doesn't qualify you to be a moderator any more than it would qualify you to be a plumber, electrician, or accountant. Being a moderator requires an ability to solve disputes fairly and diplomatically.

perhaps. but i got to stick up for jester on this one. he's one of the saner mods i've come across over various forums. got no beef with him :).

some mods are down right antagonistic, and no better than the people causing problems on said forums that you go to them for help with. some will even stick up for those types of people because of hollywood connections, or other reasons, causing said forum to become a miserable place. i just left one of those recently.

ToTheNines
09-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Serious question: are you retarded?

The Deadman
09-24-2017, 11:36 AM

I was a moderator when we had the Volcanic Asteroid, and because people didn't respect the authority Krang had given me and I only had moderation abilities for that section, it didn't last long. People who didn't agree with the decision to make me a moderator purposefully tried to cause problems/havoc.

@CanadianDrome: What are you even talking about?

You don't become a mod because you're a super fan....

CyberCubed
10-06-2017, 01:21 AM
Maybe the current events section needs to be closed down. Keep the TV/movies section, Videogames, and maybe the Everything Else forum. Close the rest of it down.

Powder
10-06-2017, 01:37 AM
Like I said on page one. I dunno how it hasn't been done already.

newfan
10-06-2017, 08:31 AM
I'm guessing all threads but those are public, except those in groups?

Coola Yagami
10-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Just keep em. If you can't take the heat, stay out of that kitchen. I barely ever visit the current event forums so I'm not getting triggered and calling for a safe place.

Drama only works if someone starts it and if someone is looking for it. Break the chain and you end the drama.

Vegita-San
10-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Just keep em. If you can't take the heat, stay out of that kitchen. I barely ever visit the current event forums so I'm not getting triggered and calling for a safe place.

Drama only works if someone starts it and if someone is looking for it. Break the chain and you end the drama.

hence why the ignore button is your best friend of defense. you don't have to see the constant nasty insults. if only people used it both ways.

Coola Yagami
10-14-2017, 01:05 PM
hence why the ignore button is your best friend of defense. you don't have to see the constant nasty insults. if only people used it both ways.

Or get a thicker skin... or you know, just don't visit that forum.

Vegita-San
10-14-2017, 01:06 PM
thicker skin only works to an extent. if people are constantly nasty, constantly insulting, constantly looking for a fight, that'll wear down even the toughest skin after a while.

sdp
10-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Can we at least NUKE this thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58951)?
My stomach turns just looking at it and the insides of it are already awful, some of the worst the drome has seen in the past decade