PDA

View Full Version : Karate Kid sequel TV series... with Macchio! "Cobra Kai"

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 11:44 AM
http://www.darkhorizons.com/original-karate-kid-gets-a-sequel-series/

This could be awesome!

newfan
08-04-2017, 11:48 AM
hmmm not sure how that will turn out but I will take a look, I did like the movie as a child

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 11:53 AM
The only Karate Kid I've seen is the one with Jackie Chan and Will Smith's son from 2010. Funny how that never got a sequel, but that's because his son became "whack" when he got older.

newfan
08-04-2017, 12:03 PM
I didn't bother watching the new one, which is unusual for me as I usually watch the remakes to compare/see the different take on it.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 12:15 PM
I didn't bother watching the new one, which is unusual for me as I usually watch the remakes to compare/see the different take on it.

It wasn't a remake. It was supposed to be called "The Kung Fu Kid" until they lost their nerve.

newfan
08-04-2017, 12:17 PM
It wasn't a remake. It was supposed to be called "The Kung Fu Kid" until they lost their nerve.

Oh, so a totally different movie?

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Oh, so a totally different movie?

Similar in some ways, but it wasn't made as a remake or a stealth sequel or anything pertaining to the original Karate Kid movies.

newfan
08-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Similar in some ways, but it wasn't made as a remake or a stealth sequel or anything pertaining to the original Karate Kid movies.

Thanks, not sorry about not watching it then :)

CyberCubed
08-04-2017, 12:41 PM
It's worth watching for Jackie Chan alone.

https://martialartsactionmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Jackie-Chan.jpg

The movie came out in 2010, 7 years ago, so Jackie was still in his mid 50's at the time. A lot more active than he is now, although he doesn't do much more than train in the movie. He does get a good fight scene with some punk kids early on though.

newfan
08-04-2017, 12:43 PM
It's worth watching for Jackie Chan alone.

https://martialartsactionmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Jackie-Chan.jpg

The movie came out in 2010, 7 years ago, so Jackie was still in his mid 50's at the time. A lot more active than he is now, although he doesn't do much more than train in the movie. He does get a good fight scene with some punk kids early on though.

That's a point, Chan I mean.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Is it bad that I hope that Hillary Swank returns in this?

newfan
08-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Is it bad that I hope that Hillary Swank returns in this?

Lol, I didn't like 'The Next Karate Kid' as a movie, but sure why not have her in it :)

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Lol, I didn't like 'The Next Karate Kid' as a movie, but sure why not have her in it :)

Would be a neat twist if her character is married to Johnny. The "rivalry" would be even more interesting.

I wonder if Old Daniel-san will be with Elisabeth Shue or Robyn Lively.

newfan
08-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Would be a neat twist if her character is married to Johnny. The "rivalry" would be even more interesting.

I wonder if Old Daniel-san will be with Elisabeth Shue or Robyn Lively.

Is Shue still in CSI? If it's still running... stopped watching a few years back. He had a different girlfriend in each movie so who knows but really it would be Shue. I wonder if they will bring anyone (even just character) back.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Man, it's been a long time... I don't remember Karate Kid II's climactic scene being this lame.

5whE6r-lreE

Quick cuts to pretend Daniel-san is hitting that guy.

chrisdude
08-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Is Shue still in CSI? If it's still running... stopped watching a few years back. He had a different girlfriend in each movie so who knows but really it would be Shue. I wonder if they will bring anyone (even just character) back.It'll open with one line of dialogue about why she's gone.

I always imagined a fourth Karate Kid movie where Kreese and Silver open that chain of Cobra Kai dojo's they were talking about, and all those kids grow into a legit street gang.

But this could be fun, I guess. Looking at the series, as a whole, I don't consider Johnny a big important character. I'm sure the actor is half the reason this show is happening, I just don't care a whole lot where Johnny is in his life.

sdp
08-04-2017, 03:54 PM
This is awesome news if true but I don't know if I trust that site. the fact that its a continuation is just awesome. The Jayden remake was pretty good and I think the sequel is still in development hell but could happen.

I believe he is mocked in one scene as the "karate kid" for knowing kung fu, hence the title. I always wanted the sequel to feature Ralph Macchio to formally put it "in continuity" with the other Karate Kid films. It tells a new story basically and doesn't re-use any one character, only concepts.

I watched and reviewed all the movies and cartoon on a karate kid thread here but I need to find it.

Hillary Swank just got fit recently so she'd be perfect to return, I'd like to see her.
https://la-confidential-magazine.com/get/files/image/galleries/Hillary-Swank.jpg

newfan
08-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Yeah that clip was awful :) I don't think Martial Artists liked those movies much.

Johnny and Daniel are probably the only characters young enough still to bring back still.

Andrew NDB
08-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Is Shue still in CSI? If it's still running... stopped watching a few years back. He had a different girlfriend in each movie so who knows but really it would be Shue. I wonder if they will bring anyone (even just character) back.

No idea about CSI. Maybe they should really throw us for a loop, and bring back Kumiko. Tamlyn Tomita still looks great!

https://pics.wikifeet.com/Tamlyn-Tomita-Feet-1648639.jpg

Storm Eagle
08-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Is Shue still in CSI? If it's still running...

It's not. It ended in 2015.

Faster and Cheaper
08-04-2017, 10:43 PM
I love that a near 50 years old Daniel is still a loser who can't get by without Me Miyagi lol

DestronMirage22
08-04-2017, 11:47 PM
This'll be interesting. Never thought they'd bring back Karate Kid with the old characters, but I'm down for it.
I love that a near 50 years old Daniel is still a loser who can't get by without Me Miyagi lol

So true. Wonder if he'll get a girl in this series only to lose her after his big victory. Again. :roll:

sdp
08-04-2017, 11:57 PM
He always got the girl during the movie, he just somehow lost her before the next movie. :lol:

newfan
11-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Sorry to revive this, they've been filming... I'll watch it but I don't think this is going to be good :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4961472/Ralph-Macchio-William-Zabka-film-Karate-Kid-reboot.html

Andrew NDB
11-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Sorry to revive this, they've been filming... I'll watch it but I don't think this is going to be good :lol:

Why not?

I do worry they might be trying too hard for comedy in this. It can be funny without beating us over the head.

newfan
11-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Why not?

I do worry they might be trying too hard for comedy in this. It can be funny without beating us over the head.

It was the comedy description and that it's only on youtube that kind of put me off but as I said, still gotta watch it :)

TigerClaw
02-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Here's the Teaser for the series.

xLtYmhj-0Kg

Andrew NDB
03-24-2018, 03:17 PM
The full trailer.

xCwwxNbtK6Y

Looks fantastic. I see my worries about them calling it just a straight up "comedy" are unfounded.

Powder
03-24-2018, 03:38 PM
I can't believe this is even a real thing. :tlol: I'll check it out, despite how cornball it looks.

PApagreg
03-24-2018, 03:50 PM
This looks interesting

"On Youtube Red"

Whelp won't be watching that anytime soon

sdp
03-24-2018, 10:21 PM
This is all I would've ever wanted form a Karate Kid sequel three decades later. I hope it's a success and we not only get a second season but we get more high quality shows on youtube red instead of the giving "content creators" a budget that they don't know how to use properly because at the end of the day they're still amateurs even if they're making money.

I'd love to see Jayden and Hillary Swank in a second season.

Roseangelo
03-24-2018, 10:24 PM
My karate instructor is so excited for this. :lol:

And, honestly, so am I. :D

Andrew NDB
03-25-2018, 02:33 AM
It's like the best thing ever. Potentially. This is, like, an example of nostalgia utilized... the correct way. Taking something that connected with an entire generation and don't attempt recreate it... but stay within its spirit and grow it up.

The early press stuff mentioned that this is a Daniel that has become lost without Miyagi to guide him. I wonder if we'll see Miyagi family members showing up? I saw some blurry pictures in the trailers that look like they could be Miyagi... I wonder if they hit a wall on likeness rights.

sdp
05-05-2018, 12:39 AM
So, apparently this is great, anyone watch it? I don't have youtube red but I might just for this. The first two episodes are free but I don't want to be hooked if I won't get to watch it :lol:

Andrew NDB
05-05-2018, 02:45 AM
Saw the first three. Yeah, they're totally making Daniel the bad guy (though they're clearly building an arc for him). It's great. Highly entertaining.

newfan
05-05-2018, 02:49 AM
I need to get a bit more in touch with things, I don't know what youtube red is other than guessing it's something you subscribe to.

Interesting take to make Daniel the bad guy

Andrew NDB
05-05-2018, 04:33 AM
It's definitely not "Comedy™" like I feared. It's totally filmed like as if it's Daniel and Johnny's story is in 2018, with very real, very believable new high school kids in 2018 coming into the picture.

I love this.

Sage Ninja
05-05-2018, 11:15 AM
was kind of afraid they would make Daniel the bad guy (he has gotten way too big for his britches and is stupid cocky now apparently) because I think that is kind of a cliche move, but someone who has seen the first two episodes says that yeah he is but it's a bit more nuanced than that. So maybe I will give this a try. I just hope that Daniel does not get totally sh*t on through out this and he has his redemption. I would be pissed if he is just a cocky Sh*t and nothing more in this series.

oldmanwinters
05-05-2018, 12:38 PM
I am curious how much of a local celebrity a kid can become after winning a high school karate tournament.

I do love the poetic justice that Daniel LaRuso wanted Miyagi's car so bad in the first movie, won college tuition money in the 2nd movie, blew said tuition money by going into a bonsai tree business with him in the third movie, and eventually became a high-end car sale mogul who still held onto that bonsai tree fixation.

Bonus cameo from an old NASCAR commercial:
pPDp4PDwCAQ

Roseangelo
05-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Watched all the eps.

The character arcs are all very interesting and I like how everything builds throughout the episodes. The end obviously sets up season 2, so I hope to see that confirmed soon.

The karate aspects are kinda cringe-y, although the original movies weren't a whole lot better. When someone starts karate, their movements are generally stiff and awkward, because they haven't yet learned how to control their bodies to be able to do all of these new things. Basically all of the actors have this stiffness and awkwardness, especially Daniel and Johnny.

The real-world karate scene has also changed A LOT from the 80s, so it was kind of interesting to see this be completely ignored.

I am curious how much of a local celebrity a kid can become after winning a high school karate tournament.

Yeah, you can't. If you are in a school/organization that actively competes, you might get known within your school/organization, but no one outside the group is going to give a flying flip. And honestly, the larger organizations are kind of pseudo cults that position students to compete a lot and earn a lot of trophies, all while their actual skills are pretty crap.

sdp
05-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Watched the first two episodes and man now I'm hooked, it's easily the most entertaining show I've ever watched. Not nostalgia either since I hadn't watched the Karate Kid until like 3 years ago. I'm glad they played with the Daniel was the bad guy meme but didn't over do it since the original video was for comedic purposes but some things mentioned fit perfectly with this show.

This show just gets things so right, it's new/fresh and yet respects the source material, why can't other revivals do the same?

I was sure they were going to retcon the sequels since they're kinda out there but they already referenced the second movie. I wonder if they reference the third, I mean wouldn't the sensei and his vietnam buddy own the name of Cobra Kai?

I mean, he won with an injured leg and a flashy movie, I can see a video tape of this thing becoming an early viral video online in the early 2000's. Also the show doesn't imply that because he got famous from the karate tournament he became successful.

This is especially true if we count the films in continuity where he isn't famous and already failed at a business. He seems to love Japanese culture as seen in the movies and this show so when he started his used car sales business he just used his karate gimmick in commercials and it worked. The free bonsai is a tribute to Mr. Miyagi who you can tell he still really loves.

Andrew NDB
05-05-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm going to discontinue watching episodes (again, I finished 3) until I rewatch Karate Kid 1-4.

I heard there's some nods to "The Next Karate Kid." Is that true? And wasn't there something in that movie about Larusso having moved away from California?

Andrew NDB
05-28-2018, 04:44 AM
Finally saw the entirety of "Cobra Kai." I can say nothing but great things about this. The reviews are right... it's absolutely the best thing we never knew we wanted. It's awesome beyond all measure, more entertaining, moving, funny, and with more heart than I had any idea it would have. I can't say a single bad thing about it, not one. Not even nitpicks (OK, maybe just one: since KK2 and KK3 are obviously in canon in this and mentioned at various times... why does Johnny get a worse rap as a Cobra Kai over, say, Mike Barnes from 3? that guy didn't give a f**k, he was going to drop Daniel off a mountain and punched women in the stomach for no reason).

Also, to prepare for "Cobra Kai," I rewatched all 4 of the movies which I literally haven't seen in about 20 years...

Karate Kid: Still awesome! I forgot many scenes in this, and I can tell a lot of the deeper stuff went over my head as a kid. Miyagi's drunken breakdown about his deceased, pregnant wife was particularly wrenching this time out.

Karate Kid: Part II: Also good. I dig the Japanese vibe and the raised stakes. For some reason the lighting in this really bothered me, at least at night. No matter which way anyone is facing in the movie, there's this flat, yellow light right in their face.

Karate Kid: Part III: I think I watched this more than any of the other ones as a kid. For some reason, part 3 was always on HBO/Cinemax/Showtime and never part 1 or 2. Maybe 1 sometimes.

The Next Karate Kid: Oh, man... so terrible. Even some pretty good Miyagi scenes can't save this one. There is no plot... the bad guys' motivations are nonexistent. Apparently the main guy really, really wants to rape Hillary Swank and doesn't like her sort-of boyfriend because... no reason? With Michael Ironside around to hate on Miyagi because... no reason? And did Miyagi really yank Swank's character out of high school mid-year for a few weeks? He'd never do that. Paper thin. But I'd love to see Swank return in a new season of Cobra Kai, particularly as one of the only two known, living students of Miyagi.

Andrew NDB
05-31-2018, 11:23 PM
Mike Barnes from Karate Kid 3 is confirmed for season 2.

https://youtu.be/kPaBrd1F6tY

sdp
06-03-2018, 10:24 AM
I guess if the show gets a season 3 then Swank may get some role for an extra "umph" in marketing it "oh remember her? She's back in the popular Cobra Kai series". And if it gets like a season 4 or whatever then even Jaden Smith might be shoved in there, I mean that remake was well received IIRC and even though it follows the same theme of the original movie it doesn't use any of the characters names or exact situations.

Andrew NDB
06-03-2018, 11:17 AM
And if it gets like a season 4 or whatever then even Jaden Smith might be shoved in there, I mean that remake was well received IIRC and even though it follows the same theme of the original movie it doesn't use any of the characters names or exact situations.

Or any karate (there's a reason it was titled "Kung Fu Kid" in other countries). But yeah... there's technically no reason the events of the remake couldn't have happened in the KK universe.