PDA

View Full Version : Disney ending Netflix Deal going to start own streaming service

Autbot_Benz
08-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Disney will end its distribution deal with Netflix and launch its own streaming service, the company announced today. It intends to launch the service in 2019.

The move is a huge blow to Netflix, which secured a valuable streaming deal with Disney back in 2012 — before streaming really took off. The deal only kicked into effect last year, so Netflix is barely seeing any benefit here.

At the same time, it’s a natural step for Disney, which has a huge library of valuable content to offer.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/8/16115254/disney-launching-streaming-service-ending-netflix-deal?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

NinjaPug
08-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Don't see how this is a huge blow to Netflix. They lose a few Disney movies. All of those new releases had expiration dates to begin with once they hit the broadcast cable networks.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-08-2017, 03:36 PM
I wonder if that means most of the Marvel content will also migrate away from Netflix...

Autbot_Benz
08-08-2017, 03:38 PM
I wonder if that means most of the Marvel content will also migrate away from Netflix...

Marvel Movies are included but I don't think the Netflix Marvel shows are affected since they are Netflix originals.

NinjaPug
08-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah the Marvel Netflix shows aren't going anywhere. I wonder if this will hurt future seasons of these existing shows though. I'm sure Disney would rather have Marvel TV working on new shows that will be on this new service.

TigerClaw
08-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Yeah the Marvel Netflix shows aren't going anywhere. I wonder if this will hurt future seasons of these existing shows though. I'm sure Disney would rather have Marvel TV working on new shows that will be on this new service.
I could see future Marvel animated shows being exclusive on Disney's streaming service.

Candy Kappa
08-08-2017, 04:30 PM
I'm really not a fan of this excessive amount of streaming services that have and are popping up. Netflix was convenient for having a little bit of everything for a reasonable price, but now there's so many with their own shows and I'm not interesting in paying a premium for 7-8 different services.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-08-2017, 04:48 PM
I'm really not a fan of this excessive amount of streaming services that have and are popping up. Netflix was convenient for having a little bit of everything for a reasonable price, but now there's so many with their own shows and I'm not interesting in paying a premium for 7-8 different services.

Same. HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and I'm sure there are many more. I'm not paying for a bunch of subscriptions. One and done.

Candy Kappa
08-08-2017, 04:53 PM
DC is getting one, the Star Trek one... there's way too many of them.

Jester
08-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Indeed. My wife and I have Netflix and Amazon Prime...and I wonder how long those won't be worth it because everyone will just start their own service.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-08-2017, 05:47 PM
DC is getting one, the Star Trek one... there's way too many of them.

I wonder, if in any way, this will boost DVD/Bluray sales.

Rather than have a ton of subscriptions, wait a few months and then buy the DVDs. That's my strategy, anyway...

TigerClaw
08-08-2017, 05:51 PM
I have a feeling, cause they are Disney, they are gonna charge a premium price for there streaming service.

Autbot_Benz
08-08-2017, 06:45 PM

CEO Bob Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin Disney had a "good relationship" with Netflix, but decided to exercise an option to move its content off the platform. Movies to be removed include Disney as well as Pixar's titles, according to Iger. Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disn...-services.html

ProphetofGanja
08-08-2017, 07:10 PM
The excessive proliferation of streaming services is highly annoying

Jester
08-08-2017, 07:33 PM
The only thing that could make this worth while if it essentially threw open the "Disney Vault" for good and for ill.

Autbot_Benz
08-08-2017, 07:41 PM
The only thing that could make this worth while if it essentially threw open the "Disney Vault" for good and for ill.

agreed get rid of that unnecessary Cash Grab aka the Vault.

Jester
08-08-2017, 08:27 PM
And I mean EVERYTHING! Song of the South...EVERYTHING!

oldmanwinters
08-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Hope y'all got your VHS copy of Walt Disney's Pinocchio before April, 1994:
kRcza_H3Xic

Jester
08-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Hope y'all got your VHS copy of Walt Disney's Pinocchio before April, 1994:
kRcza_H3Xic
My parents did...*wipes brow*

oldmanwinters
08-08-2017, 08:35 PM
My parents did...*wipes brow*

Well, that's a good thing, because all those internet clickbait articles are so dutiful to inform us that our Disney VHS collection is now worth a fortune big enough to pay for a kid's college education!
:lol:

TurtleWA
08-08-2017, 09:25 PM
And I mean EVERYTHING! Song of the South...EVERYTHING!

I know some people that would like all the Five Mile Creek episodes get a release as well. I remember watching Song of The South as a kid at my Grandmas house. Never thought of it as racist when I was a kid.

ProactiveMan
08-08-2017, 09:30 PM
It was only a matter of time before the studios set up their own services - I think Warner Brothers have one already for their classic catalog.

Netflix don't pay very well apparently, and the barrier for entry into VOD is getting lower every day.

Jester
08-08-2017, 09:31 PM
My local library has a Chinese bootleg, somehow. It's probably about as much a "product of it's time" as Gone with the Wind.

TurtleWA
08-09-2017, 02:38 PM
In my opinion I think Netflix sees 'the writing on the wall.' That's why the push for more original content. It's only a matter of time before Nickelodeon and probably NBCuniversal and all others pull away from NF as well.

We are moving from the time of channel surfing to now app surfing. All owners of content will want to keep said content and not allow other streaming services access. But then probably a big company like Comcast will come along and offer all the apps in a bundle for $300 a month.

Maybe I'll get a library card and start checking out seasons of popular shows. Never seen Game of Thrones do to not having HBO, also need to watch last few seasons of Big Bang Theory because I don't have the CBS app.

oldmanwinters
08-10-2017, 12:26 PM
We are moving from the time of channel surfing to now app surfing. All owners of content will want to keep said content and not allow other streaming services access. But then probably a big company like Comcast will come along and offer all the apps in a bundle for $300 a month.

Haha, this is totally the way the cable companies (or company, after they all buy each other out) will try to stay in business by creating a new monopoly.

Shark_Blade
08-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Well I'm a sucker for Disney films, marvel and Star Wars, so bring it on Disney.

Cure
08-10-2017, 08:02 PM
I see. So maybe that's why there's no Star Wars on Netflix yet...

Rogue One is on Netflix.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2017, 10:41 AM
http://screenrant.com/disney-netflix-marvel-star-wars/

Netflix is trying to keep Star Wars and Marvel content on their site... we'll see if Disney plays ball or not...

oldmanwinters
08-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Netflix is trying to keep Star Wars and Marvel content on their site... we'll see if Disney plays ball or not...

What a high-stakes hostage situation!

TurtleWA
08-11-2017, 12:08 PM

I think if Netflix manages to keep StarWars and Marvel the licensing price is going to be so huge that is won't easily be publicly disclosed. Disney has all the power in this negotiation. If I was Disney I would give Netflix nothing. Lower their value enough and then buy them out.

oldmanwinters
08-11-2017, 12:20 PM
I think if Netflix manages to keep StarWars and Marvel the licensing price is going to be so huge that is won't easily be publicly disclosed. Disney has all the power in this negotiation. If I was Disney I would give Netflix nothing. Lower their value enough and then buy them out.

-ke87AhXxag

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2017, 12:25 PM
-ke87AhXxag

Wrong lever, Kronk.

TurtleWA
08-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Netflix who? Disney doing this all the way to the bank.
617MTpJnOZQ

Shark_Blade
08-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Rogue One is on Netflix.

Cheers!

That is so evil, it just might work. :evilgrin: :shredder:

Autbot_Benz
09-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Marvel and Star Wars movies will be moving to the Disney Streaming site

http://collider.com/marvel-star-wars-movies-disney-streaming-service-app/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social#images

but Disney CEO Bob Iger announced today what we already figured: Marvel and Star Wars movies are also moving to the Disney streaming service and the Netflix deal is not being renewed.