PDA

View Full Version : Should the next film be another chapter in the Original trilogy or a new reboot?

FredWolfLeonardo
08-10-2017, 06:16 PM
I was recently having this thought, that I would not want the next tmnt film to be an origin story since it has been done many times in the past and gets repetitive after a while in my opinion.

Instead, I think that the next film should be a full CG animated continuation of the original trilogy and tmnt 2007, showing older turtles in a new situation rather than the old "we tell April where we came from then beat Shredder" story.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the Original movie turtles being in the next movie will work, or does the next film need to start completely fresh?

ToTheNines
08-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Reboot.

I would really like an animated feature or comic book with some Steve Barron involvement that is a true sequel to the 1990 movie and totally ignores SotO.

The Deadman
08-10-2017, 06:35 PM
The only way I'd be alright with another movie in the original trilogy is if they brought back the suits and the voice actors.

Shark_Blade
08-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Reboot.

I don't see the turtle suits coming back, it's ancient technology. In TMNT 1, in some scenes like when Mikey raised his head screaming "I love being a turtle!", I can see the suit's crumpled line opening under his neck and that took me out of believing the character is real. :/ Nope, that simply will not do. No more.

CGI is the way to go: most creatures are cgi nowadays: Hulk, Avatar, Beast (from Beauty & the Beast), Caesar (War for Planet of the Apes), Smeagol (Lord of the Ring), etc.

Andrew NDB
08-10-2017, 07:25 PM
There's really not enough "good" in the first four movies that it's worth getting back into now. And no one is going to invest in such a movie. "30 years later, the sequel." That's only been tried once with comic book movies, with Superman Returns, and that was a flop.

mrmaczaps
08-10-2017, 09:49 PM
They can make a new movie using suits and use cgi as touchups... that would be the way to go... this full on cgi crap has to stop. Did movie makers not learn from the Star Wars Prequels?!? Lol

CyberCubed
08-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Fun Fact: Robbie Rist plays Mondo Gecko in the Nick cartoon and can still do his original movie Michelangelo voice perfectly....and the last time he played Mike was in Movie III which came out in 1993....20+ years ago.

Man, how do VA's still have the same voice after 20 years?

sdp
08-10-2017, 09:58 PM
A sequel to OOTS.

Fight me.

mrmaczaps
08-10-2017, 10:06 PM
A sequel to OOTS.

Fight me.

Easy solution.

Bay Turtles decide to go find Shredder, pre opening credits... Donnie has off screen created a vortex device... Opens it, they jump in and land at the feet of the Mirage Turtles first seen in greyscale... open credits... new scene, four dead Bay Turtles burning in NY Harbor... commence R rate Turtles movie. :lol:

DestronMirage22
08-11-2017, 12:44 AM
Reboot.
We need a good retelling of the original origin story.
And as much as I like the original films, I think too much time has passed to try to continue with them.

neatoman
08-11-2017, 05:10 AM
Probably best just to reboot this whole thing again.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Reboot.

I would really like an animated feature or comic book with some Steve Barron involvement that is a true sequel to the 1990 movie and totally ignores SotO.

Great, so we could have a real "Secret of the Ooze", with Utroms as first planned.

The Deadman
08-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Fun Fact: Robbie Rist plays Mondo Gecko in the Nick cartoon and can still do his original movie Michelangelo voice perfectly....and the last time he played Mike was in Movie III which came out in 1993....20+ years ago.

Man, how do VA's still have the same voice after 20 years?

The last time he actually voiced the character was in a Casey Jones fan film

-LWrEDkzaF4

Shows up towards the end.

eskater
08-11-2017, 08:10 AM
There's really not enough "good" in the first four movies that it's worth getting back into now. And no one is going to invest in such a movie. "30 years later, the sequel." That's only been tried once with comic book movies, with Superman Returns, and that was a flop.

As much as a continuation sounds enticing and I'm not a huge fan of reboots, I have to agree with Andrew on this one. 2007 TMNT tried doing a sort of "hiatus" for the turtles and although I loved their personalities in this one it really didn't feel quite right, and Superman Returns was a pretty bad flop. I'd go for a reboot for sure.

eskater
08-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Easy solution.

Bay Turtles decide to go find Shredder, pre opening credits... Donnie has off screen created a vortex device... Opens it, they jump in and land at the feet of the Mirage Turtles first seen in greyscale... open credits... new scene, four dead Bay Turtles burning in NY Harbor... commence R rate Turtles movie. :lol:

Did ask for it lol :tlol:

Krutch
08-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Reboot.

I agree about not wanting to see another origin movie but there's a few issues with skipping it entirely when a new reboot comes along...

For starters, there's so many different origins that exist between Mirage, IDW, Fred Wolf, Nick, 2k4, each with their own unique spin on things, that you'd need to clarify the origins when introducing a new iteration.

Why not just skip the origin entirely?

You need to establish their relationship with Shredder, and that always comes back to the origin. So unfortunately, I believe it's an origin you can't really skip out on when rebooting.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2017, 08:48 AM
A proper origin doesn't take an entire movie to cover.

Have a 5-10 minute flashback narrated by Splinter to April or even to the Turtles, same as pretty much every iteration before.

It's not hard to do it right. Except for Hollywood, apparently.

eskater
08-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Reboot.

I agree about not wanting to see another origin movie but there's a few issues with skipping it entirely when a new reboot comes along...

For starters, there's so many different origins that exist between Mirage, IDW, Fred Wolf, Nick, 2k4, each with their own unique spin on things, that you'd need to clarify the origins when introducing a new iteration.

Why not just skip the origin entirely?

You need to establish their relationship with Shredder, and that always comes back to the origin. So unfortunately, I believe it's an origin you can't really skip out on when rebooting.

I wouldn't want to skip out the origin entirely, especially with the Shredder. Although I think there is merit in not spending too much time in the origin.

GoldMutant
08-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Why the shell would there be another movie in the original trilogy? A book or comic, maybe, but a movie? The trilogy I feel were products of their time and the magic from the 90s cannot be replicated.

As others have said, a reboot is what'll be needed, but currently, it shouldn't be done. If Out of the Shadows did poor at the box office due to the first film and other better movies at the time of its release, it's best for the films to lay low for a few years. Then, reboot it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Nobody's continuing the Tim Burton Batman movies. Batman needed a Christopher Nolan to "Dark Knight" the franchise after the abysmal Joel Schumacher filmes.

Hopefully, TMNT can follow the same trend...

Burton/Bannon... enjoyable but ultimately dated

Schumacher/Bay... a lot of disrespect to the franchise, wacky, stupid, toys

Nolan/???... a fresh new interpretation that brings the franchise back to prominence and success

eskater
08-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Why the shell would there be another movie in the original trilogy? A book or comic, maybe, but a movie? The trilogy I feel were products of their time and the magic from the 90s cannot be replicated.

As others have said, a reboot is what'll be needed, but currently, it shouldn't be done. If Out of the Shadows did poor at the box office due to the first film and other better movies at the time of its release, it's best for the films to lay low for a few years. Then, reboot it.

Agree, no TMNT movies for awhile for now. Have to let PD movies fade a little bit more into obscurity first.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Agree, no TMNT movies for awhile for now. Have to let PD movies fade a little bit more into obscurity first.

I'm pretty sure they already have. At the rate cinemas have been blasting CBMs and kid movies out in the last decade, the bad ones get forgotten reaaaaaaaaally quickly.

Andrew NDB
08-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Reboot.

I agree about not wanting to see another origin movie

Why not? There hasn't been an origin movie since 1990. The PD ones didn't even have one.

The Deadman
08-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Nobody's continuing the Tim Burton Batman movies. Batman needed a Christopher Nolan to "Dark Knight" the franchise after the abysmal Joel Schumacher filmes.

Nolan/???... a fresh new interpretation that brings the franchise back to prominence and success

Forever and &Robin were enjoyable for what it's worth...besides, everyone...chill.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Why not? There hasn't been an origin movie since 1990. The PD ones didn't even have one.

:tlol: I forgot that, and you're absolutely right. Man oh man, you are absolutely right.

#karatefordummies #sewerlibrary

Krutch
08-11-2017, 11:18 AM

True. Guess I'm just burnt out on origin movies in general.

...I just want to see some damn Mousers already :P

eskater
08-11-2017, 11:18 AM

I'm really hoping this is the case, it would be the best case scenario....I'll hold off for our "Nolan"

I'm pretty sure they already have. At the rate cinemas have been blasting CBMs and kid movies out in the last decade, the bad ones get forgotten reaaaaaaaaally quickly.

Really hope so....but at the same time I wouldn't want MORE bad TMNT movies to ultimately fade into obscurity further tarnishing the franchise. I say wait for the next one for a good good while.

Forever and &Robin were enjoyable for what it's worth...besides, everyone...chill.

Like I said....even as a kid I didn't like them all too much. Maybe it's the Batman: animated series influence in me but they pushed the camp way too much even for 7 year old me lol.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-13-2017, 03:01 PM
I still think if a reboot is necessary, limit the origin to a flashback/recap at the beginning, then give us a film with rat king, purple dragons, and leatherhead as the enemies. heck, bring in Angel bridge/Nobody as and Radical as the TMNT's allies instead of April and Casey, and set the classic elements (April, Casey, Shredder and the foot) up for the sequels. That way we get to know the turtles first in a new story, before we begin the retread.

eskater
08-14-2017, 07:47 AM
I still think if a reboot is necessary, limit the origin to a flashback/recap at the beginning, then give us a film with rat king, purple dragons, and leatherhead as the enemies. heck, bring in Angel bridge/Nobody as and Radical as the TMNT's allies instead of April and Casey, and set the classic elements (April, Casey, Shredder and the foot) up for the sequels. That way we get to know the turtles first in a new story, before we begin the retread.

I second this motion, it'd be a good twist and probably has the most potential IMO.

GoldMutant
08-14-2017, 10:41 AM

I do know some of my friends think OOTS was better than the first and enjoyed it. Something tells me they're not going to easily fade. Considering the upcoming show, Rise, may have PD elements, it's clear it won't fade entirely yet, especially with taking jabs at them. I get that it is humor, but constantly repeating the same jokes, whether references or any form, gets old really fast.

I do wonder if Viacom could allow TMNT to air on a different station or on Netflix with a different direction at some point. It's wishful thinking on my part, but it could very well convey TMNT as more than a kid's property. It was one of the best-selling kid properties last year according to a thread about merchandise, but otherwise, not sure.

Until then, we have a long way to wait.

eskater
08-14-2017, 10:45 AM
I do know some of my friends think OOTS was better than the first and enjoyed it. Something tells me they're not going to easily fade. Considering the upcoming show, Rise, may have PD elements, it's clear it won't fade entirely yet, especially with taking jabs at them. I get that it is humor, but constantly repeating the same jokes, whether references or any form, gets old really fast.

I do wonder if Viacom could allow TMNT to air on a different station or on Netflix with a different direction at some point. It's wishful thinking on my part, but it could very well convey TMNT as more than a kid's property. It was one of the best-selling kid properties last year according to a thread about merchandise, but otherwise, not sure.

Until then, we have a long way to wait.

Honestly Netflix is the absolute dream. It'll take awhile for the OOTS Bay Turtles to fade a little bit at least, I'm still holding out on Rise though.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 05:18 PM
We'll probably get another TMNT movie somewhere between 2021-2025.

eskater
08-15-2017, 07:50 AM

At least they'll have waited more than 3 years by then

Weapons@theready
08-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Preferably a reboot, but if they decided to go sequel, go sequel to the original movie only, like how Jurassic Park did with Jurassic World.

pferreira
08-17-2017, 02:59 PM
I'd actually like them to continue with the original trilogy because I'd be interested to see the direction they would go in. To see the advancements in visual effects and creature design applied to a continuation of the original three movies interests me.

Nobody's continuing the Tim Burton Batman movies. Batman needed a Christopher Nolan to "Dark Knight" the franchise after the abysmal Joel Schumacher filmes.Leave Batman Forever alone thank you.

Also the Nolan films were overrated. ;)

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Preferably a reboot, but if they decided to go sequel, go sequel to the original movie only, like how Jurassic Park did with Jurassic World.

That's never going to happen. Too much poo between movie #1 and movie #6.

https://charts.stocktwits.com/production/original_28388957.gif?1414158406

raph27
08-20-2017, 05:13 PM

I would love to see this as an animated movie similar to some of DC's direct to video stuff. Bring back as many of the original cast as possible. Since it's animation, they could bring back those turtles without messing with the animatronics, and any human characters can look younger than their actors/actresses currently are. (Assuming a sequel would keep relatively close to when the original took place and not almost 30 years later like in real life.)

eskater
08-21-2017, 07:44 AM
I would love to see this as an animated movie similar to some of DC's direct to video stuff. Bring back as many of the original cast as possible. Since it's animation, they could bring back those turtles without messing with the animatronics, and any human characters can look younger than their actors/actresses currently are. (Assuming a sequel would keep relatively close to when the original took place and not almost 30 years later like in real life.)

I love this...the DC direct video stuff is pretty good as a whole. Gives them more creative freedom too.

Tetsu Deinonychus
08-23-2017, 12:55 PM
That's where I've been hoping they take this. A DTV animated film could cater to the hardcore fans more than a theatrical live-action film (which to make enough money have to try to extract the mainstream). And, a series of such videos in different continuities could cater to the varying tastes of different segments of the fandom.

pferreira
08-24-2017, 10:33 AM
I would love to see this as an animated movie similar to some of DC's direct to video stuff. Bring back as many of the original cast as possible. Since it's animation, they could bring back those turtles without messing with the animatronics, and any human characters can look younger than their actors/actresses currently are. (Assuming a sequel would keep relatively close to when the original took place and not almost 30 years later like in real life.)I like that idea but don't set it 30 years into the future.

Andrew NDB
08-24-2017, 12:19 PM
I like that idea but don't set it 30 years into the future.

That would actually be the only way a sequel to the old movies would be of any interest to me. Same Turtles, same universe... but 30 years later, and they're all 30 years older now. Rated R. Logan-style, their last stand.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2017, 12:49 PM
That would actually be the only way a sequel to the old movies would be of any interest to me. Same Turtles, same universe... but 30 years later, and they're all 30 years older now. Rated R. Logan-style, their last stand.

Wouldn't it just suck if the first good TMNT movie was also the one to kill them all off...

FredWolfLeonardo
08-24-2017, 02:26 PM

Thats exactly what I had in mind when wanting the original trilogy to continue. This is something thats never been done before although tmnt 2007 is still in that universe,the turtles arent much older and they arent in any sort of last stand.

syk_skillz
09-06-2017, 11:12 PM
I want a reboot with mix of Practical and CGI. Body mostly being practical with heads being the heaviest part of the CGI. When comes to tone needs to go back to the original 1990 movie with Splinter & Shredder having reason for their grudge unlike how the Bay movies completely ignored them having a backstory. I'd really enjoy it taking a lot of the inspiration coming from IDW comics.

pferreira
09-07-2017, 12:34 PM
That would actually be the only way a sequel to the old movies would be of any interest to me. Same Turtles, same universe... but 30 years later, and they're all 30 years older now. Rated R. Logan-style, their last stand.Why does every film today have to be Fury Road or Logan in conception? Why not a film everybody can enjoy? :roll:

Andrew NDB
09-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Why does every film today have to be Fury Road or Logan in conception? Why not a film everybody can enjoy? :roll:

Because when you try and make everyone happy... _____________.

But this is a very specific example. "If the original trilogy TMNT continued now." If they just made TMNT 4 (or 5, if you prefer) today, set now, pretending TMNT 1-3 just happened a year or two ago... that'd be possible, but at this point only about 5 people are going to care. You set it now and make the Turtles 30 years older and wiser and embittered, that's something new. That's something interesting.

It's not the ideal TMNT movie but I'd definitely support it.

myconius
09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
for the next Tmnt film, there has to be a full reboot. origin story and all.

there are new fans to Tmnt that need that P.D. Bay-turtles washed from their brains.

and setting up the world from the ground up is the only way to really accomplish that.

as much as i love the 1990, there was too much malarky in parts 2 and 3 that needs to be wiped clean to continue.
i'd hope the story would stick as close to the original Mirage #1 as possible. but i wouldn't even mind a re-telling of the origin story similar to what IDW did, just so long as -

A- it wasn't a butchery of the IDW story like how P.D. mutilated it.

B- there isn't a f%%k load of other Mutants running around.
maybe 1 or 2 mutant villains or a hench-mutant like Hob.
but no Mutanimals!! i love the Mutanimals, but the focus needs to be solely on the Turtle brothers and Splinter.

though we've all seen it before, a new movie series has to be accessible and bring in new fans if it's going to really thrive.

eskater
09-12-2017, 09:20 AM

there are new fans to Tmnt that need that P.D. Bay-turtles washed from their brains.

and setting up the world from the ground up is the only way to really accomplish that.

as much as i love the 1990, there was too much malarky in parts 2 and 3 that needs to be wiped clean to continue.
i'd hope the story would stick as close to the original Mirage #1 as possible. but i wouldn't even mind a re-telling of the origin story similar to what IDW did, just so long as -

but no Mutanimals!! i love the Mutanimals, but the focus needs to be solely on the Turtle brothers and Splinter.

though we've all seen it before, a new movie series has to be accessible and bring in new fans if it's going to really thrive.

I'm wondering if a successful Turtles reboot could possibly make a Mutanimals spinoff at some point. A really really long shot but we've heard mumurs of other spinoffs of successful franchises.

Andrew NDB
09-12-2017, 10:01 AM
I'm wondering if a successful Turtles reboot could possibly make a Mutanimals spinoff at some point.

Probably. I'm sure the current PTB would love to do that, making a TMNT shared universe with gangs of mutants like an encyclopedia of different animals everywhere. The path to that, though, would take the TMNT movies down a road they probably shouldn't be going down this next time out.

mrmaczaps
09-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Hell no. No more Origin stories. The ONLY origin needed is five minutes prior to or during the credits. Truck in traffic, kid with small bowl of turtles... crash... canister, turtles and then Splinter in the sewers. Go always a rat mutated or Hamato Yoshi turned rat... either way, don't care there... more sense that its a rat but whatever...

Start things off on the run. Skip the MF'n Shredder. Lets have Baxter. Lets have Utroms. Better idea, make it 25 years after TMNT 3 and have Utroms landing ala volume 4. Aliens are real. Earth freaks out. Michelangelo the Third Kind would make a great movie with some more meat on its bones.... then Raph Bad Blood... lol Donatello the Brain Thief and then do Leo Blind Sight last.... or mash them into at least 2 movies. I don't think anything in those stories would bother the original 3 movies... And nothing in the movies would have to be retconned to really make sense...

Andrew? Lol

09-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm wondering if a successful Turtles reboot could possibly make a Mutanimals spinoff at some point. A really really long shot but we've heard mumurs of other spinoffs of successful franchises.

I want the Archie-set of Mutanimals, with Brazil-setting and the old villains.

eskater
09-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Probably. I'm sure the current PTB would love to do that, making a TMNT shared universe with gangs of mutants like an encyclopedia of different animals everywhere. The path to that, though, would take the TMNT movies down a road they probably shouldn't be going down this next time out.

Yeah I'll agree with the last sentence especially, I mean I like the idea of a shared TMNT movie universe sure but I'm a little wary of how it would be handled obviously. Even the successful Marvel universe is starting to bog me down a little bit honestly.

LeotheLateBloomer
09-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Even the successful Marvel universe is starting to bog me down a little bit honestly.

The whole shared universe idea in films will eventually phase out by the time we get another movie.

pferreira
09-14-2017, 08:41 AM
But this is a very specific example. "If the original trilogy TMNT continued now." If they just made TMNT 4 (or 5, if you prefer) today, set now, pretending TMNT 1-3 just happened a year or two ago... that'd be possible, but at this point only about 5 people are going to care. You set it now and make the Turtles 30 years older and wiser and embittered, that's something new. That's something interesting.

It's not the ideal TMNT movie but I'd definitely support it.I can see it working as well.

The whole shared universe idea in films will eventually phase out by the time we get another movie.Lots of studios are currently trying shared universes with mixed results. Marvel will go strong for a couple of years but it won't last much longer. I'm surprised there isn't fatigue right now.

pferreira
09-14-2017, 08:42 AM
The whole shared universe idea in films will eventually phase out by the time we get another movie.Lots of studios are currently trying shared universes with mixed results. Marvel will go strong for a couple of years but it won't last much longer. I'm surprised there isn't fatigue right now.

Chris
09-19-2017, 03:46 AM
Reboot.

As others have said the only way to really do a sequel to the originals would be to set it 30 years later, Logan style. Whilst potentially a very interesting and a unique take it's a ender, not something that's going to revive a franchise. Direct to DVD or Netflix? That would be a great project. Big budget summer blockbuster aiming to build a franchise? It's not the right story.

Reboot and start fresh. And don't fall into the franchise building trap. Treat each film as the only one you're doing and tell the best story you can. You can build on it with sequels but don't assume you're getting a sequel whilst making this movie and don't waste time setting them up as you may never get to the pay off.

For me the next movie could feature just the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder and the Foot. Save everyone else for possible sequels. Just get that origin and those relationships right and let that drive the story (something PD completely screwed up). I wouldn't have a problem with April and/or Casey being in it as long as they served the story but they don't need to be.

myconius
09-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Start things off on the run. Skip the MF'n Shredder. Lets have Baxter. Lets have Utroms. Better idea, make it 25 years after TMNT 3 and have Utroms landing ala volume 4. Aliens are real. Earth freaks out. Michelangelo the Third Kind would make a great movie with some more meat on its bones.... then Raph Bad Blood... lol Donatello the Brain Thief and then do Leo Blind Sight last.... or mash them into at least 2 movies. I don't think anything in those stories would bother the original 3 movies... And nothing in the movies would have to be retconned to really make sense...

but you realize none of these stories will ever get made into a film though.

i could see the 4kids cartoon attempting some of those stories way back.
but they'd have been so defanged it would have been unrecognizable.

especially Blind Sight.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-19-2017, 10:06 AM
I think the best route to go is a new film not beholden to what has come before, but doesn't overwrite previous movies. A simple premise is set up; brief flashback at the beginning with the turtles origin, Turtles already know April, turtles have already defeated shredder and the foot. That's all you need to know, adapt whatever Mirge/Archie/IDW story you want, or create your own, or whatever. You do a mirage #1/return to new York film, a lot of people are going to call you on making a 1990 movie remake/ripoff. And some of us won't buy a ticket.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Lots of studios are currently trying shared universes with mixed results. Marvel will go strong for a couple of years but it won't last much longer.

Utter nonsense.

neatoman
09-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Utter nonsense.

Which part is especially nonsensical to you?

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Which part is especially nonsensical to you?

That MCU films are going to go bust in a couple of years. There aren't even early warning signs of that happening... the opposite, if anything.

neatoman
09-19-2017, 12:14 PM
That MCU films are going to go bust in a couple of years. There aren't even early warning signs of that happening... the opposite, if anything.

Yeah there hasn't been any sort signifigant drop in box office or mostly negative reviews for any of those movies. The Inhumans premiere was a bust but I think it's safe to discount that because it's not really a movie and got a limited release.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Yeah there hasn't been any sort signifigant drop in box office or mostly negative reviews for any of those movies. The Inhumans premiere was a bust but I think it's safe to discount that because it's not really a movie and got a limited release.

Yeah, the Inhumans... thing is much ado about nothing.

Spike Spiegel
09-19-2017, 12:22 PM
I'd love to see a variety of animated spin off projects--like what Nick has done with their one-off animated TMNT shorts, but with movies instead.

The kiddies could have their version in the 2012 show/Rise, and there'd be a variety of different iterations for everyone else.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Everyone keeps suggesting that Nick "play the field" and offer media for both kiddies and older teens (and up), but that's not gonna happen. Not now, maybe never.

Nick is content to take the grade school slice of the money pie, but we've seen NOTHING to indicate they want to try to "break bad" and make it in the older teen crowd.

I mean, c'mon. This is the age of playing the field... Marvel has kiddie cartoons and toys, mainstream teen movies and merch, and adult collectibles and Netflix shows.

If Nick wanted to get into that mode of business, they'd have already done so.

sdp
09-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Like it or not they tried their "appeal to nostalgia" with the PD movies and they're not making a new chapter of an old movie. The only thing left is making an animated movie aimed at kids and we won't get that version for a few years. Best we can hope for another live action movie aimed at kids and adults is in many many years.

Jurassic World is not a reboot or ignore the other sequels, it's a direct sequel to the first three movies.

Coola Yagami
09-19-2017, 03:20 PM
How about the fact that they aren't really shared universes. All if Marvel and all of DC have always been their own universe.

A real shared universe/crossover would be something like Men in Black meeting Ghostbusters. Or hell, the Avengers teaming up with the Justice League.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-19-2017, 05:54 PM
AvengersJustice League isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. They did several crossover stories back in the 80's I think it was, with the likes of Supes/Hulk, Batman/Spider-Man, and a few other team-ups.

eskater
09-20-2017, 08:21 AM
AvengersJustice League isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. They did several crossover stories back in the 80's I think it was, with the likes of Supes/Hulk, Batman/Spider-Man, and a few other team-ups.

It's still highly improbable though

pferreira
09-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Utter nonsense.How? Ever hear of saturation? I already hear people online complaining about superhero film fatigue.

Sumac
09-21-2017, 10:26 AM
How? Ever hear of saturation? I already hear people online complaining about superhero film fatigue.
I've heard people complaining about that 2 years ago and...?

Andrew NDB
09-21-2017, 10:34 AM
How? Ever hear of saturation? I already hear people online complaining about superhero film fatigue.

And, Pedro...? They're sure not complaining with their wallets.

myconius
09-22-2017, 06:37 AM
a proper reboot of the Tmnt film franchise should be what we've never gotten before (nor probably ever will)

it needs to be a complete overhaul starting from the very beginning, sticking as closely to the original Mirage comics as possible.

.....that's just my own two cents.

sgtfbomb
09-22-2017, 07:32 PM

I've heard complaints about superhero films since 2002. It'll happen eventually, because fads go away eventually. But there are no signs of it happening yet.

09-23-2017, 05:50 AM
I've heard complaints about superhero films since 2002. It'll happen eventually, because fads go away eventually. But there are no signs of it happening yet.

When something is very popular, there are always a lot of people complaining, some of them just for the sake of complaining.

Weapons@theready
09-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Jurassic World is not a reboot or ignore the other sequels, it's a direct sequel to the first three movies.

It's actually just a direct sequel to the first movie according to director Colin Treverrow. While it doesn't do anything to discredit the fact that the 2nd and 3rd movies happened, it can stand as a direct sequel since it doesn't have any plots related to the other two movies.

pferreira
09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
I've heard people complaining about that 2 years ago and...?

And, Pedro...? They're sure not complaining with their wallets.The point is if you milk something for all it's worth eventually people get bored of it because there's too much of it unless you do something to change it up. There's only so many A-list superheroes you can make films from going you have to start adapting C list ones.

When something is very popular, there are always a lot of people complaining, some of them just for the sake of complaining.I don't know. I see legit complaints. Take a popular game series that gets yearly releases and people complain about these endless sequels that don't do anything new each year.

I've heard complaints about superhero films since 2002. It'll happen eventually, because fads go away eventually. But there are no signs of it happening yet.Okay. :)

sgtfbomb
09-28-2017, 06:34 PM
First, there are always people who say these things. "They've milked this. They've milked that." It's hardly an original argument and it has been around for a long time. People have been claiming that Hollywood is unoriginal for decades, insinuating that it was at some point original. :lol:

Second, they are not facts, just opinions.

Third, if opinions had a valid impact on the box office, Michael Bay would be managing a Burger King instead of making his trademark bloated, obnoxious movies.

Fourth, saturation is an illusion. What we are dealing with are people who can't see past the major trends and only pay attention to the most marketed films. They look at the 8 or so biggest films of the year, ignore the dozens of others, and whine, "this all Hollywood makes!" and then claim they are not being sheep like everyone else who see these movies, when in fact those are the only movies they willingly pay attention to. There's a lot more variety out there if you actually look for it. Of course, generally these kinds of people also claim superhero movies are devoid of intelligence, yet when they see a film that is bold, thought-provoking, etc., they claim it's boring. Funny how that works.

Finally, these movies (or at least a majority of them) are still making money. It's also worth noting that they have taken risks with a lot of these major films. Civil War is pretty subversive at times and has a final act that I guarantee would have been changed had the film been made years prior.

eskater
09-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Third, if opinions had a valid impact on the box office, Michael Bay would be managing a Burger King instead of making his trademark bloated, obnoxious movies.

Fourth, saturation is an illusion. What we are dealing with are people who can't see past the major trends and only pay attention to the most marketed films. They look at the 8 or so biggest films of the year, ignore the dozens of others, and whine, "this all Hollywood makes!" and then claim they are not being sheep like everyone else who see these movies, when in fact those are the only movies they willingly pay attention to. There's a lot more variety out there if you actually look for it. Of course, generally these kinds of people also claim superhero movies are devoid of intelligence, yet when they see a film that is bold, thought-provoking, etc., they claim it's boring. Funny how that works.

Bay managing a Burger King sounds like a fantasy I once had :tlol:
I do agree that there is a lot more going on in the industry people like to admit to, I mean half the time when people watch the Oscars it'll be the first time they've even heard of most of the films that are put up for nomination.

sgtfbomb
09-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Bay managing a Burger King sounds like a fantasy I once had :tlol:
I do agree that there is a lot more going on in the industry people like to admit to, I mean half the time when people watch the Oscars it'll be the first time they've even heard of most of the films that are put up for nomination.

And a lot of those titles were out there waiting to be discovered by those who claim to love movies, yet only seem to pay attention to those unoriginal, brand-name films they claim to despise.

inaheap
09-29-2017, 01:14 PM
I'd most want a continuation after the first 3 films. Definitely set in New York. Tone and style more like the original film.

09-29-2017, 01:54 PM
First, there are always people who say these things. "They've milked this. They've milked that."

Also, some people feel the need to bash everything that's commercial, just because rich businessmen make money on it. They hated ABBA and Roxette and they hate Hollywood, Disneyland and whatever. But who judges what's commercial or not? Themselves, of course.

pferreira
10-05-2017, 09:49 AM
First, there are always people who say these things. "They've milked this. They've milked that." It's hardly an original argument and it has been around for a long time.Yeah but there have been great examples of saturation and milking franchises. Anything from Star Trek to Star Wars to horror sequels has been milked to death. Personally I find people just want creativity, something new.

Coola Yagami
10-05-2017, 03:39 PM
You forget the sequels have to take place in the 90s so no. Though I'd be curious about them using the scepter to go into 2018 or whatever modern would be upon release to stop Baxter or whoever. I'm curious how the 90s tmnt would react to modern day.

Reminds me of the Nick crossover when Shredder and Krang didn't know what Nick Bebop and Rocksteady meant when they asked for the Techmodrome's wifi password.

sgtfbomb
10-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Personally I find people just want creativity, something new.

What people want are good movies. People have a tendency to conveniently bypass the fact that a movie is a sequel, remake, adaptation, or part of a fad if it's something they like.

10-06-2017, 04:01 PM
You forget the sequels have to take place in the 90s so no.

Why can't it do that?

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Why I think they should do (and they never will), Is a movie series set in the 80's/90's where the TMNT's origin is told in a flashback in the beginning, with narration of Splinter telling the origin, accompanied by showing six Japanese woodcuts: the first is the turtles fighting shredder on a rooftop from the original film, a second with them duking it out with tokka and rahzar in a nightclub, the third with them in Samurai armor holding the time scepter, the fourth shows them fighting Yatol's stone generals in front of a giant portal, the fifth depict the turtles battling chrome dome/robo-shredder on a big truck sliding down a snowy mountain, and a sixth woodcut with the team fighting krang, bebop and rocksteady in the middle of the assembling technodrome. A way of saying. 'Hey, a greatly different version of this stuff happened in our universe, but a lot of it didn't happen the same way, and didn't suck. So instead of insulting your intelligence and retelling the same story you've seen and heard in other media a dozen times over the past thirty years, we're acknowledging the past, and moving ahead with our own story.' In other words, a movie that loosely acknowledges the events of all six films, not ignoring the fact of the reboot and how terrible it could get, and move ahead with something new.

eskater
10-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Why I think they should do (and they never will), Is a movie series set in the 80's/90's where the TMNT's origin is told in a flashback in the beginning, with narration of Splinter telling the origin, accompanied by showing six Japanese woodcuts: the first is the turtles fighting shredder on a rooftop from the original film, a second with them duking it out with tokka and rahzar in a nightclub, the third with them fighting Yatol's stone generals in front of a giant portal, the fifth depict the turtles battling chrome dome/robo-shredder on a big truck sliding down a snowy mountain, and a sixth woodcut with the team fighting krang, bebop and rocksteady in the middle of the assembling technodrome. A way of say. 'Hey, a greatly different version of this stuff happened in our universe, but a lot of it didn't happen the same way, and didn't suck. So instead of insulting your intelligence and retelling the same story you've seen and heard in other media a dozen times over the past thirty years, we're acknowledging the past, and moving ahead with our own story.' In other words, a movie that loosely acknowledges the events of all six films, not ignoring the fact of the reboot and how terrible it could get, and move ahead with something new.

That's quite bold indeed, although not too far fetched. They might acknowledge the first films MAYBE but the Bay turtles I doubt it.

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-07-2017, 10:50 AM
That's quite bold indeed, although not too far fetched. They might acknowledge the first films MAYBE but the Bay turtles I doubt it.

You're probably right, it would be too much to hope for. But I don't see it as 'oh, all these movies happened in the same universe'- since the bay films were a reboot, that is impossible. What the intent more is is that 'yeah, the turtles fought Chrome Dome, and stopped Shredder and his evil businessman ally from poisoning the city', or 'we stopped shredder, krang, rocksteady, and bebop from bringing the technodrome through to earth'. It's more an in-universe acknowledgement of the franchise's history, the good and the bad. And an indication that the new continuity of turtles we are following have ther own history of great battles. A history that viewers of the six films would be familiar with, even if it's not exactly the same.

Coola Yagami
10-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Why can't it do that?

Cause most people want movies taking place in modern day. A true sequel to the 3 movies couldn't work in modern day because the turtles would be in their 40s by now.

eskater
10-09-2017, 08:17 AM
You're probably right, it would be too much to hope for. But I don't see it as 'oh, all these movies happened in the same universe'- since the bay films were a reboot, that is impossible. What the intent more is is that 'yeah, the turtles fought Chrome Dome, and stopped Shredder and his evil businessman ally from poisoning the city', or 'we stopped shredder, krang, rocksteady, and bebop from bringing the technodrome through to earth'. It's more an in-universe acknowledgement of the franchise's history, the good and the bad. And an indication that the new continuity of turtles we are following have ther own history of great battles. A history that viewers of the six films would be familiar with, even if it's not exactly the same.

That's probably way more doable...but again very ambitious. Maybe if they set it up right it could be done this way and it would set up for different TMNT movies but they way most lay people view the franchise it'd be shooting for a lot, just in my opinion.

10-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Cause most people want movies taking place in modern day..

Why is that so important.

Powder
10-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Why is that so important.

Wish I knew. I for one would love more movies that take place in the past. Focuses on cooler culture & helps me escape. + some things, like TMNT, just feel like they belong in the 80's/90's.

AquaParade
10-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Wish I knew. I for one would love more movies that take place in the past. Focuses on cooler culture & helps me escape. + some things, like TMNT, just feel like they belong in the 80's/90's.

I think throwing the TMNT into the 1960's or 70's could really give it a fresh shine while allowing us to reatin everything we love about the franchise. Go back even further, as long as you retain other important elements of the franchise.

That said, I agree that the turtles totally feel at home in the 1980's/1990's. The clothing, music, and general attitude of that era are a part of TMNT.

Spike Spiegel
10-11-2017, 03:06 PM
What if we got a period piece TMNT film that actually takes place in 1984?

You wouldn't have to adapt or modernize as much and focus on translating the storytelling of Mirage into something that works as a film. They could even use older film stock or digital effects to create a vintage look similar to those of Kung Fury or Black Dynamite. Like an adult oriented approach similar to Deadpool but with more grounded humor.

Then if they did more movies, a 'City at War" sequel/finale could take place in '92-'93.

10-13-2017, 02:52 AM

Or maybe for the 35th anniversary in 2019? If production starts in early-2018.

eskater
10-13-2017, 07:34 AM
What if we got a period piece TMNT film that actually takes place in 1984?

You wouldn't have to adapt or modernize as much and focus on translating the storytelling of Mirage into something that works as a film. They could even use older film stock or digital effects to create a vintage look similar to those of Kung Fury or Black Dynamite. Like an adult oriented approach similar to Deadpool but with more grounded humor.

Then if they did more movies, a 'City at War" sequel/finale could take place in '92-'93.

Best approach IMO

10-13-2017, 02:30 PM
I think throwing the TMNT into the 1960's or 70's could really give it a fresh shine while allowing us to reatin everything we love about the franchise. Go back even further, as long as you retain other important elements of the franchise.

That said, I agree that the turtles totally feel at home in the 1980's/1990's. The clothing, music, and general attitude of that era are a part of TMNT.

Imagine how great Big Louie and his mob would be in a 1920's-1930's setting! Krang would probably be from Mars, and Channel 6 would be a radio station.

PizzaPower1985
10-16-2017, 10:40 AM
We should just do a new movie in a few years and give it the sense of urgency that the IDW books have. The more cartoonish you make a TMNT film in live action the more it will suffer.

AquaParade
10-16-2017, 10:43 AM
We should just do a new movie in a few years and give it the sense of urgency that the IDW books have. The more cartoonish you make a TMNT film in live action the more it will suffer.

My dream for the franchise is for it to have it's big "Burton Batman break". A return to form and embracement of the root-characters by mass audiences.

PizzaPower1985
10-16-2017, 11:38 AM
My dream for the franchise is for it to have it's big "Burton Batman break". A return to form and embracement of the root-characters by mass audiences.

Your franchise dream sounds excellent!

AquaParade
10-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Your franchise dream sounds excellent!

I Appreciate that. I believe it's a dream shared among many. It's desirable because we've seen Batman walk a similar path, from the Adam West show's success being somewhat of a double-edged sword for the franchise. Batman was able to break free from the mold pop-culture had placed him in. Are the turtles capable? Maybe with the right help.

eskater
10-17-2017, 08:05 PM
I Appreciate that. I believe it's a dream shared among many. It's desirable because we've seen Batman walk a similar path, from the Adam West show's success being somewhat of a double-edged sword for the franchise. Batman was able to break free from the mold pop-culture had placed him in. Are the turtles capable? Maybe with the right help.

Got to play the cards right and not keep clamouring for it though.....it should happen naturally. I fully believe the Bay turtles were an honest to God opportunity that just developed into something just so meh.

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-19-2017, 11:31 AM
If we have to have a reboot, I want to see a TMNT movie with a dark tone, something that re-introduces them to the audience, but in a totally new way, that isn't anything like what we've seen before. I want a good martial arts film, with a new foe we haven't seen before on the big screen.

(I personally have my own really radical, crazy idea for a reboot that's different from all other previous TMNT films, but I think it's too radical and different for most TMNT fans.)

pferreira
10-26-2017, 08:25 AM
What people want are good movies. People have a tendency to conveniently bypass the fact that a movie is a sequel, remake, adaptation, or part of a fad if it's something they like.True to an extent but do we really need endless remakes or prequels?

mrmaczaps
10-26-2017, 02:50 PM
What if the "next movie" is all three?

Get some guys in suits that are based off the 90 movie, CGI Shrekurtles and then a new nice combination of both in a live Action Turtles Forever.

Start in Dimension X with the OOTS Krang having the Shrekurtles somehow get there but doing so kind of rips the fabric of space time. Then have the Shrekurtles somehow, for some unexplained reason bring the 1990 Turtles into it but this, for some unexplained reason sucks the "new" Turtles into things first... then commence with movie. Shrekurtles die, 1990 movie turtles go home and then we follow this new style Turtles into a new trilogy. Everyones happy. :lol:

eskater
10-27-2017, 07:14 AM
What if the "next movie" is all three?

Get some guys in suits that are based off the 90 movie, CGI Shrekurtles and then a new nice combination of both in a live Action Turtles Forever.

Start in Dimension X with the OOTS Krang having the Shrekurtles somehow get there but doing so kind of rips the fabric of space time. Then have the Shrekurtles somehow, for some unexplained reason bring the 1990 Turtles into it but this, for some unexplained reason sucks the "new" Turtles into things first... then commence with movie. Shrekurtles die, 1990 movie turtles go home and then we follow this new style Turtles into a new trilogy. Everyones happy. :lol:

Sounds like something DC would do

mrmaczaps
10-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Sounds like something DC would do

I was thinking the way Trek rebooted.... but sure, DC Comics....

eskater
10-27-2017, 03:31 PM
I was thinking the way Trek rebooted.... but sure, DC Comics....

I still need to see the second Star Trek movie :tlol: I could behind something like that though.

10-28-2017, 12:20 PM
I want a good martial arts film, with a new foe we haven't seen before on the big screen.

John Bishop or Triceratons may be the best opponents for that.