PDA

View Full Version : Official Discussion Topic: S5 E10 - Lone Rat and Cubs

Ninjinister
08-13-2017, 02:01 AM
Watching it now... actually surprised nobody's made a topic yet lol

Man, the way Splinter attacked that Kraang sentry was badass.

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 02:09 AM
Sorry I woke up late :P

Ninjinister
08-13-2017, 02:15 AM
Man Splinter's just a boss altogether in this!

And you'd think Raph would be much more phased by how his shell was broken. Even a tough baby like him should have reacted more.

But yeah, no big secrets or reveals like some people were assuming. Just... a bunch of really strong scenes of Splinter bonding with the Turtles and being a badass.

Redworld96
08-13-2017, 02:23 AM
I could not tell: Which turtle activated the water outlet when everyone was at the bottom of the water?
http://i.imgur.com/Ukayyz8.png http://i.imgur.com/jqds7Dg.jpg Was it Donnie? Sometimes I can not recognize them :lol:

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Oh my god!!!! that was a awesome episode, the baby turtles were adorable.

I could not tell: Which turtle activated the water outlet when everyone was at the bottom of the water?
http://i.imgur.com/Ukayyz8.png http://i.imgur.com/jqds7Dg.jpg Was it Donnie? Sometimes I can not recognize them :lol:

Yeah it's Donnie, he has a different shaped head

Redworld96
08-13-2017, 03:01 AM
Oh my god!!!! that was a awesome episode, the baby turtles were adorable.

Yeah it's Donnie, he has a different shaped head

Thanks Vicky :) man Donnie was really smart

I wonder if when Splinter said: "The weapons chose you", it's because all those times we saw the babies involved with their weapons (Like Mikey sucking The Nunchaku; Raph and Leo giving to Splinter a Sai and a Katana. Although I didn't see baby Donnie with a stick during the episode).

Powder
08-13-2017, 03:02 AM
A fantastic episode. Not much else I can say, thoroughly pleased. :)

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 03:28 AM
Thanks Vicky :) man Donnie was really smart

I wonder if when Splinter said: "The weapons chose you", it's because all those times we saw the babies involved with their weapons (Like Mikey sucking The Nunchaku; Raph and Leo giving to Splinter a Sai and a Katana. Although I didn't see baby Donnie with a stick during the episode).

When we first saw the Baby Turtles and Splinter gave them food, he gave Donnie a stick (of food). I guess Splinter didn't have a Bo Staff at the time.

Redworld96
08-13-2017, 03:38 AM
When we first saw the Baby Turtles and Splinter gave them food, he gave Donnie a stick (of food). I guess Splinter didn't have a Bo Staff at the time.

You can see a bo staff in the shopping cart all the time, but Donnie didn't do anything with that I think

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 03:46 AM
You can see a bo staff in the shopping cart all the time, but Donnie didn't do anything with that I think

I didn't notice that. Maybe something was cut out for timing or the fact that baby Donnie doing smart things was more important.

Redworld96
08-13-2017, 03:54 AM
I didn't notice that. Maybe something was cut out for timing or the fact that baby Donnie doing smart things was more important.

Yeah it must be. But it was cool to see the other babies involved with their weapons. And I was really worried when the wheel of the shopping cart crushed Raph, but you can see how hard is the shell when he was even happy after that :lol::lol:

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 04:19 AM
Yeah it must be. But it was cool to see the other babies involved with their weapons. And I was really worried when the wheel of the shopping cart crushed Raph, but you can see how hard is the shell when he was even happy after that :lol::lol:

It was pretty scary seeing him fall down the steps and get hit by the trolley as he's a only a baby but it didn't phase him at all. He was born to be tough.

Autbot_Benz
08-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Love this episode. This episode proves to me that Hoon Lee is the best iteration of Splinter in my opinion.

Also the Kraang yelling Exterminate was very dalek like. My one issue is they had Splinter and the turtles living in the subway hideout in this episode when they were young. Could have sworn they had a different home in Season 1.

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Ugh!!!! some people on tumblr are idiots.

They are complaining that Mikey wasn't taken seriously and wasn't given a serious reason on why he got the nun chucks. Hello it's a flashback episode, so they had to keep up the continuity with season 1.

Redworld96
08-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Ugh!!!! some people on tumblr are idiots.

They are complaining that Mikey wasn't taken seriously and wasn't given a serious reason on why he got the nun chucks. Hello it's a flashback episode, so they had to keep up the continuity with season 1.

Let it go Vicky :ohwell: The best thing is to ignore if you don't like to read it. To be honest I understand them.

drgon78
08-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Good episode, liked that Splinter couldn't think of a fitting reason to give Mikey his weapons.

ranger_scout
08-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Every time the Baby Turtles appeared on my TV screen I just couldn't stop smiling. They were just the cutest things. I think this was probably one of the best origin stories that I've seen in a superhero cartoon. There's no doubt that Splinter was an outstanding father figure and seeing him be so protective and loving in this episode makes me miss him even more than I did before.

neatoman
08-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Pretty good episode, even if the framing device of Splinter telling a story creates a contradiction with the first two episodes.

Liked the little nod there of having the Turtles mimic Splinter as a subsitute of Splinter mimicking Yoshi.

victory_angel
08-13-2017, 12:04 PM
I guess Splinter's reasons for giving Donnie the Bo Staff is a good explanation to Leo yelling "Donnie, don't lose sight of who you are!" Back in "Heart of Evil"

I admit the weapons origin wasn't what I expected, but I do like how it was done. Particularly with Donnie graciously accepting his bo staff, but still saying "Oh man, it's just a stick." in disappointment. While we don't see Donnie using or interacting with the staff like we see the others do with their weapons, we do see Splinter use a broom stick as a bo staff and Splinter does call Donatello "Smart one" after he plugs in that lamp but has no pet names for the others.

Originally in one of the first fics I did of this series I had described the weapons origin as Donnie being brought out of the Dojo feeling disappointed that the only weapon to choose him was a giant stick. Raph sees it and immediately starts teasing his brother about how he got the most useless weapon ever. Splinter then demonstrates what the Bo Staff was capable of, which impresses Leo, Raph, and Mikey. But Raph still points out that Donnie isn't the most effective fighter which causes Donatello to go running in the direction of the dorms in tears.

A year or so ago a person on FF.Net emailed me about that scene and said they had come up with part of a fic expanding on that moment and they wanted to see what I would do with it. So I looked it over and I came up with how I believed the Weapons Origin could have gone. In that fic I wrote that the Turtles were about 10 years old when they received their weapons. Splinter summons each Turtle one at a time into the Dojo starting with Leo, Raph, and Mikey. Their weapons are found almost instantaneously because they knew which ones called them. Donnie on the other hand was wanting a cool weapon because his brothers often tease him about being a weaker fighter, so he was wanting something to show he was just as capable as everyone else. When he's called into the Dojo, much like April's weapon search he tries several weapons and doesn't find one that wants him. After a bit, Splinter then says "Perhaps you are looking at the wrong sort of weapons, my son." Before picking up the Bo Staff and suggesting that he try it out. Donnie tries it out with some reluctance, and when he sees it's responding to him he tries to figure think of ways to prove it wasn't such as messing up on purpose. But ultimately accepts that this is the one that felt was meant to be his.

myconius
08-13-2017, 12:05 PM
very cool episode.

it was pretty Awesome seeing Kevin Eastman on the writing credits.

matteso586
08-13-2017, 12:43 PM
It's about time we learn how Raph got that crack on his shell.

Without the multi colored masks, it's hard to tell which baby Turtle is which.

It appears that some of the Kraang's technology doesn't work well underground.

Ninjinister
08-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Love this episode. This episode proves to me that Hoon Lee is the best iteration of Splinter in my opinion.

Agreed. I also have felt since episode 1 that he gives the strongest performance in the series.

Autbot_Benz
08-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Agreed. I also have felt since episode 1 that he gives the strongest performance in the series.

glad to hear that. I even tweeted that I thought his splinter was the best out of all the other splinters to him a few months back and he said it was very much appreciated.

GoldMutant
08-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Man, with listening to a clip of the younger Turtles, it does feel weird with Seth Green being there instead of Jason Briggs. I know the vocal change was explained in season 3, but for young Leo, it feels weird to me despite being used to his voice now.

Reviewing this soon.

newfan
08-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Man, with listening to a clip of the younger Turtles, it does feel weird with Seth Green being there instead of Jason Briggs. I know the vocal change was explained in season 3, but for young Leo, it feels weird to me despite being used to his voice now.

Reviewing this soon.

They can't really ditch Green and ask Biggs back for the episode though.

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Without the multi colored masks, it's hard to tell which baby Turtle is which.

At first it was confusing but the way I figured it out, got easy for me.

Mikey and Donnie are both light green, Mikey has the freckles and Donnie has a different shaped head.

Leo and Raph was a bit harder, they are darker but Raph is more darker than Leo and he has the evil face look sometimes. Then Raph had the chip in the plastron and it got more easy to tell them apart.

This is the only bit that I couldn't tell them apart

https://68.media.tumblr.com/efc5b62b705e98a66a03b8356d8f662b/tumblr_oumqniZ4U61rk9c31o2_540.gif

Reviewing this soon.

Last year Dominic (2nd Leo voice) did tweet he was voicing Leo again, so I though it was for this episode but it was Seth Green that voiced Leo.

GoldMutant
08-13-2017, 01:07 PM

I get that.

I know that in Darkest Plight, they redubbed some of Jason's lines with Seth. That I can understand from a story perspective. This time though, it feels... off. Young Leo feels like he's hit puberty too soon. :lol:

However, for this episode, it feels more noticeable. Obviously bringing in Jason here would be possible confusion for younger fans, but for here when the Turtles are children, it's especially weird at least to me.

Last year Dominic (2nd Leo voice) did tweet he was voicing Leo again, so I though it was for this episode but it was Seth Green that voiced Leo.

That's something I don't get. Dominic Catrambone was getting better as Leo after filling in. He's not my favorite Leo (that would be Brian Tochi), but if he continued, I still feel his voice could've justified being deepened with the voice box damage.

I got nothing against Seth Green at all. I've gotten used to him, but for this episode, he feels a bit out of place with sounding younger. Not to the same extent as the 2k3 Turtles team, but a bit jarring for my tastes.

CyberCubed
08-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Man, Nick's Splinter really is one of the best incarnations of Splinter ever. I'm really going to miss this Splinter the most when this show ends, (and technically I miss him now because he's dead and this is probably his last episode).

Really great episode, feels like it was a Season 1 episode. In fact this probably should have been a Season 1 episode...instead of being made now at literally the end of the show. :lol: I guess better late than never.

I'm glad we finally know how the Turtles got their names and weapons, something not revealed before in this series. I almost kind of wish they made a sequel episode featuring the Turtle toddlers with their weapons, but oh well, the show is over. Great ep.

newfan
08-13-2017, 01:24 PM
I get that.

I know that in Darkest Plight, they redubbed some of Jason's lines with Seth. That I can understand from a story perspective. This time though, it feels... off. Young Leo feels like he's hit puberty too soon. :lol:

However, for this episode, it feels more noticeable. Obviously bringing in Jason here would be possible confusion for younger fans, but for here when the Turtles are children, it's especially weird at least to me.

That's something I don't get. Dominic Catrambone was getting better as Leo after filling in. He's not my favorite Leo (that would be Brian Tochi), but if he continued, I still feel his voice could've justified being deepened with the voice box damage.

I got nothing against Seth Green at all. I've gotten used to him, but for this episode, he feels a bit out of place with sounding younger. Not to the same extent as the 2k3 Turtles team, but a bit jarring for my tastes.

I didn't notice as much difference with Dominic where as Green was very different (also sounds less like a teen), but I like him as Leo.

Biggs will always be the American pie guy to me :)

Fang Wolf
08-13-2017, 02:13 PM
For me was this episode the best of this season for now.
Baby turtles is sooo cute....:tlove:

victory_angel
08-13-2017, 02:18 PM
At first it was confusing but the way I figured it out, got easy for me.

Mikey and Donnie are both light green, Mikey has the freckles and Donnie has a different shaped head.

Leo and Raph was a bit harder, they are darker but Raph is more darker than Leo and he has the evil face look sometimes. Then Raph had the chip in the plastron and it got more easy to tell them apart.

This is the only bit that I couldn't tell them apart

https://68.media.tumblr.com/efc5b62b705e98a66a03b8356d8f662b/tumblr_oumqniZ4U61rk9c31o2_540.gif

My speculation from right to left...Mikey would be the one that Splinter tucks in since we hear Greg Cipes make the yawning noise and Mikey is also the most affectionate of the turtles so having him cuddle against the Turtle next to him is something Mikey would have done.

Raph is the one loudly snoring, because his complexion is darker then Mikey's. And loud is one of the words is used to describe Raph.

The other two are harder to tell apart. All we know is one is showing some discomfort when he's being pushed into his to his other sleeping brother. And the other one is just sleeping peacefully with his mouth hanging open.

I at first thought the one with his mouth hanging open was Donnie since at first glance the head is a similar shape. But he has a darker complexion compared to the one showing discomfort.

But on closer look, Donnie is the one showing discomfort at being sort of pressed into Leo, and Leo is the one just peacefully sleeping with his mouth open.

ToTheNines
08-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Such a good episode! I totally teared up when Splinter had the vision of Shen and Miwa, afraid he didn't deserve a second chance to be a father. Also when he gave Leo the sword, since that's what he flashed back to when Splinter died.

Pretty egregious of Nickelodeon to not air this one on Father's Day like they originally planned. But probably for the best, since I would have been ugly crying lol.

it was pretty Awesome seeing Kevin Eastman on the writing credits.

Agreed!

Reviewing this soon.

That's my one nitpick too. I figured they'd use Catrambone, but I guess he's just doing an additional voice in another episode.

Really great episode, feels like it was a Season 1 episode. In fact this probably should have been a Season 1 episode...instead of being made now at literally the end of the show. :lol:

I don't see what's so funny, but you're totally wrong. First of all, the episode is especially poignant because Splinter is dead. Secondly, the Shen/Miwa vision wouldn't have been as effective coming before "Tale of the Yokai".

Redworld96
08-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Vicky and Victory

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20707963_2407588736048029_6854379130292083625_n.jp g?oh=8f5e378d8aa2bfd1433844742a421f95&oe=5A2830DB

You're welcome

Vicky82
08-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Vicky and Victory

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20707963_2407588736048029_6854379130292083625_n.jp g?oh=8f5e378d8aa2bfd1433844742a421f95&oe=5A2830DB

You're welcome

It's so cute seeing Mikey cuddle up to Raph. I love there moments together.

CyberCubed
08-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Also when toddler Don was talking, he sounded just like the kid version of Raphael in the two original cartoon episodes. Not a surprise since Rob Paulsen used the same type of high-pitched light voice.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Great to have a Splinter-focused episode.

BubblyShell22
08-13-2017, 04:58 PM
I loved this episode to death. The baby Turtles were so cute and I think the voice actors did a great job sounding younger and pulled it off too. I always felt like the 2k3 actors were sort of forced when trying to sound younger, but the Nick cast nailed it for me. I loved how the Turtles each handled their weapons as a baby and the origin of Raph's crack in his shell. The flashback to Yoshi as his human self and of Shen and Miwa was also a nice touch to how Splinter doubts himself as a father. Loved how they got their home and their weapons at the end. Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the season and a great last appearance for Splinter.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
08-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Alright, I have to eat crow about what I've been saying about the baby turtles, that they are creepy looking. They were actually pretty darn adorable in the episode!

Did any one else watch "Rise of the Turtles" right after watching this? :tsmile:

FredWolfLeonardo
08-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Man, I don't know where to start. This episode was PERFECT. It made my day, until the new tmnt summer short came in and ruined it.

It was the perfect send off to Master Splinter and wraps up his entire story from the very 1st episode flawlessly.

The baby turtles were very cute and the story was fascinating.

I think having Splinter stay in a Water tower and then an abandoned house before moving into the sewers was a genius idea, especially considering that he was a human not too long ago and no human would think first of living in the sewers.

What really made it work was seeing the bond between Splinter and the turtles develop and flow very naturally, you do feel that they are a family.

10/10, I would put this in my top 5 favourite episodes of this show.

And by the way, I can't believe we're already half way through the season. If this was the final episode, I would've been satisfied but seeing as how much I liked the first half of season 5, I have VERY high hopes for the second half.

CyberCubed
08-13-2017, 11:30 PM
The water tower is also from City at War in Mirage, (and also the 4kids version of it), where the Turtles stayed for a while when they were hiding from the Foot, it's nice to see another Mirage reference there.

MarsicornYT
08-13-2017, 11:58 PM
That episode was so good!!! I'm so glad they remember'd about Raph's shell being cracked, cause that was probably one of my favourite bits of thr episode.

I also noticed that the Kraang in this episode seemed less advanced here, than in previous episodes. That's really cool. Like their guns didn't have chainsaws on them like usual, the Kraang's bodys couldn't turn in all directions at the same time, like the bottom half changed first then the rest of the body moved. Idk I just thought since it was like 10 years in the past it was a cool little thing they did.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-14-2017, 12:32 AM
Also, just a little side-note, did anyone find it odd that the episode didn't start with the present day turtles talking about their past and establishing the scene?

If it weren't for the theme song and I was shown this episode without having watched the Nick show, I wouldve thought this was the 1st episode of the series. Heck, Anyone who plans the marathons the show in the future could start with this episode instead of the season 1 premiere.

Enscripture
08-14-2017, 04:06 AM
Watched this one the Rise of the Turtles. Doesnt seem to be any continuity errors watching this as the 1st episode. All Splinter says about the Kraang is angrily "And you Let them get away?!"

ToTheNines
08-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Also, just a little side-note, did anyone find it odd that the episode didn't start with the present day turtles talking about their past and establishing the scene?

I think a framing scene would have been cool. Even if it was just Leo looking at a picture of Splinter and closing his eyes to meditate.

But that would have just taken screen time from the flashback. I thought it was perfectly plotted and paced. And we all know that's not always easy for a 22 minute program.

If it weren't for the theme song and I was shown this episode without having watched the Nick show, I wouldve thought this was the 1st episode of the series. Heck, Anyone who plans the marathons the show in the future could start with this episode instead of the season 1 premiere.

I could see that. But like I said, it looses a lot of impact if you don't watch it after Tale of the Yokai and Requiem/Owari.

Watched this one the Rise of the Turtles. Doesnt seem to be any continuity errors watching this as the 1st episode. All Splinter says about the Kraang is angrily "And you Let them get away?!"

I was also compelled to watch the pilot later yesterday.

I guess you just have to assume that Splinter never really described the aliens he fought since no one believed Mikey when he saw a robot with a brain in its chest.

neatoman
08-14-2017, 06:05 AM
I was also compelled to watch the pilot later yesterday.

I guess you just have to assume that Splinter never really described the aliens he fought since no one believed Mikey when he saw a robot with a brain in its chest.

But he did explain they were machines and that they were aliens in disguise, so it's still a contradiction.

Not that I really mind that much since this is probably one of the best episodes of the show, that and it's not like it's nearly the worst of the inconsistencies in the show.

THGhost
08-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Only just got round to watching this and episode 9 due to the confusing episode numbers caused by some sites classifying When Worlds Collide as either 1 episode or 2 episodes.

The turtles as toddlers are so cute! :tsmile:
A slightly different origin story. I like it.
"Written by Kevin Eastman". Awww yeah! :tcool:
The turtles as babies are even cuter! :tgrin:
You can tell which one is Mikey ^_^
That Doctor Who reference was a bit on the nose. :tlol:

Man, this episode really put Splinter through the ringer. It was nice to see him again, and the Kraang, and New York.

This is one of my favourite episodes of the entire series. It almost brought me to tears.

Eastman managed to write a better origin story than the recent movies did. When is Hollywood going to learn and just let him or someone else close to the franchise write the movies?

I couldn't even tell what they were doing, never mind which turtle it was.:lol:

Vicky82
08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Just a little thought

I know we all consider Mikey the youngest, but as Donnie didn't have any teeth and Splinter named him first, I wonder if Donnie is the youngest turtle and not Mikey.

Redworld96
08-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Just a little thought

I know we all consider Mikey the youngest, but as Donnie didn't have any teeth and Splinter named him first, I wonder if Donnie is the youngest turtle and not Mikey.

Surely it's just a malformation of the denture. I think there's a certain video from Nickelodeon telling a comic of them training with Splinter and overcoming psychological tests, and in that story it says Leo is the older, Raph the second, Donnie the third and Mikey the younger one.
Edit: I found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkL3scmD8Y

On the other hand, Kevin Eastman said on Reddit Donnie was the second older, but if the comic of Nick.com is canon, Donnie is the third one in the 2k12 universe.

Vicky82
08-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Surely it's just a malformation of the denture. I think there's a certain video from Nickelodeon telling a comic of them training with Splinter and overcoming psychological tests, and in that story it says Leo is the older, Raph the second, Donnie the third and Mikey the younger one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkL3scmD8Y

On the other hand, Kevin Eastman said on Reddit Donnie was the second older, but if the comic of Nick.com is canon, Donnie is the third one in the 2k12 universe.

Yeah i'm not 100% on teething babies so your probably right with malformation of the denture thing.

It was just a small thought.

As Mikey is the youngest, There were couple of other things that Mikey seemed to develop faster than the others

He was able to stand and balance on a skate, while the others were still crawling, even Leo had trouble standing up on his own as he kept losing his balance.
Mikey was almost able to say Yum.
He certainly wasn't the runt because he was able to get the food first.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Fun fact: This is the first time Splinter told us how he named the Turtles in this series. I always found it weird the early Season 1 eps skipped over how the Turtles got their names, and they waited all the way till now to do it.

One other thing though, they never did explain how Yoshi got called, "Splinter" as his nickname. Since Shredder called him Splinter too, I think they must have named him that when they were war buddies if that picture in that Season 1 episode is any indication. But they still never directly said that.

victory_angel
08-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Fun fact: This is the first time Splinter told us how he named the Turtles in this series. I always found it weird the early Season 1 eps skipped over how the Turtles got their names, and they waited all the way till now to do it.

One other thing though, they never did explain how Yoshi got called, "Splinter" as his nickname. Since Shredder called him Splinter too, I think they must have named him that when they were war buddies if that picture in that Season 1 episode is any indication. But they still never directly said that.

i wouldn't call them war buddies I would say they were likely part of the Japanese Self defense force.

neatoman
08-14-2017, 12:34 PM

The war buddy photo is itself kind of weird, it just raises more questions than it answers. What war was it? Why what army did they serve in? How old were they? How does it relate to ninja clan crap? I think they might have had different ideas of what their backstory was in season 1 and they were for some odd reason ignored in season 3.

i wouldn't call them war buddies I would say they were likely part of the Japanese Self defense force.

Even if we just assume they were in the military without ever serving in a war (which I don't buy, nobody ever writes a character with a military past without serving in combat unless it's for a joke) it still kind of clashes with the whole ninja clan thing.

victory_angel
08-14-2017, 12:40 PM
The war buddy photo is itself kind of weird, it just raises more questions than it answers. What war was it? Why what army did they serve in? How old were they? How does it relate to ninja clan crap? I think they might have had different ideas of what their backstory was in season 1 and they were for some odd reason ignored in season 3.

Even if we just assume they were in the military without ever serving in a war (which I don't buy, nobody ever writes a character with a military past without serving in combat unless it's for a joke) it still kind of clashes with the whole ninja clan thing.

It was likely they were part of the JSDF for training purposes. Such as training to hone their combat skills. Or maybe even teaching stealth techniques.

http://images05.military.com/media/news/people/marines-demonstrate-defend-attack-900x600-ts600.jpg

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Well what war could Yoshi/Saki have been in? Since they look like they were in their 20's then, and in the current time they were in their mid/late 30's I guess, what war was it?

Does the Nick show in-universe start in 2012? So then 15 years prior it would be the 90's. Japan didn't have any major wars in the 90's.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-14-2017, 12:48 PM

I think the only two reasons we know they were in the military is to know that:

1.) They had experience honing their fighting skills even outside their dojo, making them as strong and skiled as they are in the series.

2.) How they were once very close brothers and their experiences together being in the army only strengthened their bond.

ToTheNines
08-14-2017, 03:49 PM
I also noticed the local Chinese place was called Shanghai Sternin's Stirfry. Was that a deliberate season 1 reference or has that been there the whole time and I've just missed it?

BubblyShell22
08-14-2017, 04:34 PM

No, he explained that he named them after Renaissance artists in the season 2 episode "The Good, The Bad, and Casey Jones." However, this is the first time we have learned that he wanted to be an artist as a child and that was why he liked the artists of the Renaissance.

Faster and Cheaper
08-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Fun episode and super cute. I know people were a little off put at first but I was pretty confident that people would turn around and see how cute they were.

This was the first red team episode, team Raphael to be exact. Long overdue as this was the first episode worked on after the Kavaxas arc. They did a great job and they got another episode to come. From my own experience I slightly helped out here. Nothing big as usual but I remember some specific shots that I helped with layout or fixes and a few other minor stuff.

The action was good as usual and it was great to see Splinter for the last time. And we got to see a lot of sides to him in the half hour which is great. His strength, his fears, regrets, humor, and kindness. I haven't watched the pilot in a long time and I remember thinking when I first saw the rough cut of this episode way back when and thought it might muddy continuity. But it seems that isn't too much of the case.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 05:04 PM
No, he explained that he named them after Renaissance artists in the season 2 episode "The Good, The Bad, and Casey Jones." However, this is the first time we have learned that he wanted to be an artist as a child and that was why he liked the artists of the Renaissance.

I must have completely forgot about that then. After the Nick show ends I'm going to have to marathon through all 5 seasons at once, I really need to give the show a proper viewing again when it's all said and done.

Kit31
08-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Did anyone else tear up when the Turtles were swimming Splinter to their new home? It just gave me shades of the end of "Requiem" when the Guys were all carrying Splinter back to the Shellraiser. It almost seemed like a "full circle" moment to me.

Darth Knuckles
08-14-2017, 11:48 PM
This was a wonderful episode! The baby turtles were cute and it was a great story for Splinter. It was very cool to see him transition from Hamato Yoshi and sort of accept his fate as a rat and gain the confidence to raise the turtles as his second chance at having a family. It was great to finally see how Raph got his cracked shell as well. Tough little Raph! :tgrin: It was really neat that Kevin Eastman wrote this episode. It reminded me of the first season of this Nick series and also the Mirage comics so that seems fitting.

CyberCubed
08-15-2017, 02:12 AM
Was that a Kill Bill reference when that horn started beeping and the screen went red when Splinter got really angry over Raph's shell getting chipped? For those who saw the Kill Bill movies the same thing happens when the main character gets angry and wants to kill her target.

Powder
08-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Was that a Kill Bill reference when that horn started beeping and the screen went red when Splinter got really angry over Raph's shell getting chipped? For those who saw the Kill Bill movies the same thing happens when the main character gets angry and wants to kill her target.

Yes/no.

The sirens in Kill Bill are the opening to the theme to Ironside, a crime drama from the late 60's/early 70's, not only is the song recycled but that sequence itself is also borrowed. A lot of old kung fu & exploitation films from the same period would have stare-downs set to wailing sounds, basically signifying that sh*t is about to pop-off.

No idea if the credit for that moment goes to Eastman or a storyboard artist or whoever else but odds are it's more of an homage to martial arts cinema in general as opposed to Kill Bill, which as with all Tarantino works, is a pastiche.

Either way I thought it was a great inclusion!

ToTheNines
08-15-2017, 03:08 AM
Splinter was totally killing all of those Kraang in the sewer. He was mostly slicing right at the torso and none of them ran away squealing like they normally do.

And if you look closely, you can see the he chopped one in half vertically. It's the one he cuts down right before the one Norman comes after the turtles in the cart and Splinter yells "leave them be!"

BubblyShell22
08-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Fun episode and super cute. I know people were a little off put at first but I was pretty confident that people would turn around and see how cute they were.

This was the first red team episode, team Raphael to be exact. Long overdue as this was the first episode worked on after the Kavaxas arc. They did a great job and they got another episode to come. From my own experience I slightly helped out here. Nothing big as usual but I remember some specific shots that I helped with layout or fixes and a few other minor stuff.

The action was good as usual and it was great to see Splinter for the last time. And we got to see a lot of sides to him in the half hour which is great. His strength, his fears, regrets, humor, and kindness. I haven't watched the pilot in a long time and I remember thinking when I first saw the rough cut of this episode way back when and thought it might muddy continuity. But it seems that isn't too much of the case.

Wait, you worked on the show? Cool! I never knew that!

I must have completely forgot about that then. After the Nick show ends I'm going to have to marathon through all 5 seasons at once, I really need to give the show a proper viewing again when it's all said and done.

Yes, it seems you have forgotten that. But at least I was here to remind you. :lol:

Did anyone else tear up when the Turtles were swimming Splinter to their new home? It just gave me shades of the end of "Requiem" when the Guys were all carrying Splinter back to the Shellraiser. It almost seemed like a "full circle" moment to me.

Yes, I certainly did and I did feel it was a full circle moment as well.

Vicky82
08-15-2017, 10:32 AM

They were almost in the exact same position too

https://68.media.tumblr.com/d8267d9b25c5230bcfb71253dbb33fd6/tumblr_inline_oumzgkf1Xq1t3idq6_540.png

https://68.media.tumblr.com/91227710881ef665d7ceb243b7b6987b/tumblr_inline_oumzhagWv21t3idq6_540.png

It was only Donnie and Mikey that were swapped round but are on the same side.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/8cc9040a004266e417e71fd66c6bbcca/tumblr_inline_oumzk24lu41t3idq6_540.png

Splinter was totally killing all of those Kraang in the sewer. He was mostly slicing right at the torso and none of them ran away squealing like they normally do.

And if you look closely, you can see the he chopped one in half vertically. It's the one he cuts down right before the one Norman comes after the turtles in the cart and Splinter yells "leave them be!"

I screen capped it

https://68.media.tumblr.com/2f086ba8f0e0ef0475d404f377b57df4/tumblr_inline_ouqljlRyJR1sz1u74_540.png

https://68.media.tumblr.com/6657e047b428a967690e0d31192871ab/tumblr_inline_ouqlcj6iKD1sz1u74_540.png

IndigoErth
08-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Great episode, nice to see it touch on various things. And good seeing Splinter one last time. Adorable tiny Turtles. Don't really understand the lack of eye color - just an artistic choice I guess - but adorable.

This one is a stand alone episode, I assume? Wish there was more to it.

Also, I kinda always figured they really hadn't only been eating worms and algae all those years... :P

Wildcat
08-16-2017, 12:12 AM
Don't really understand the lack of eye color - just an artistic choice I guess - but adorableI thought the same thing.

Also the Kraang's DNA scanner not working underground did not make sense.

Advanced alien tracking device is no match for the walls of the NY city subway system and sewers. :lol:

It was a good episode though.

ABrown
08-16-2017, 12:46 PM
This might just be my favorite episode of the series. It was very emotional to see what Hamato Yoshi's struggles were like early on after becoming a rat. Also, I really like episodes featuring the Kraang. Whatever happened to them? Are they even still around in present time?

ToTheNines
08-16-2017, 01:07 PM
This might just be my favorite episode of the series. It was very emotional to see what Hamato Yoshi's struggles were like early on after becoming a rat. Also, I really like episodes featuring the Kraang. Whatever happened to them? Are they even still around in present time?

Agreed!

Kraang Prime was killed by the Triceratons in the season 3 finale, along with Sub-prime. Then history repeated itself in Earths Last Stand, but I'm not sure if Sub-prime died this time because he was flung into the Mirage universe at the end of Trans Turtles.

Ever since Prime died, the hive mind effect wore off and they all reverted back to regular Utrom. Pretty sure they addressed that in When Worlds Collide.

BubblyShell22
08-16-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't know if all of them reverted back though. Some of them could have gone rogue and are still out there.

And it does make sense that the scanners wouldn't work as this was probably the first time they were used and hadn't been perfected yet.

ToTheNines
08-16-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't know if all of them reverted back though. Some of them could have gone rogue and are still out there.

No reason to believe that. We haven't seen a single Kraang since the space arc. Only Utrom.

CyberCubed
08-16-2017, 04:22 PM
There's a small possibility of Kraang sub-prime appearing in the 80's Turtles crossover arc since he's Krang's "cousin" apparently, but if we don't see him there than his last appearance was falling into the Turtle Prime universe. He probably wouldn't survive there very long as the Turtles there are killers.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-16-2017, 04:32 PM
No reason to believe that. We haven't seen a single Kraang since the space arc. Only Utrom.

Also worth noting out that Bishop acknowledged the Kraang were still a threat in "When Worlds Collide" when he realized they brainwashed the Newtralizer.

I predict that if the Mirage turtles make another cameo in the upcoming crossover, then Kraang Subprime will also make a cameo setting him up for the series finale where he and Kraang Prime are the main antagonists. So far, the the villains of each finale have been:

1. Showdown (Foot, Krang)
2. The Invasion (Foot, Krang)
3. Annihilation Earth (Triceratons, Foot, Krang)
4. Requiem + Owari (Just the Foot Clan)

Since the Kraang missed out on one finale, I expect the last one to be dedicated to them solely since the Foot Clan are no longer a threat and the Triceratons have been completely eliminated). Plus, they were the main villains in the 1st episode, so I think its fitting to end with them.

ToTheNines
08-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Also worth noting out that Bishop acknowledged the Kraang were still a threat in "When Worlds Collide" when he realized they brainwashed the Newtralizer.

I didn't interpret it that way. The brainwashing had already happened long ago. Bishop was just pointing out the irony of him doing the dirty work of his former captors.

ABrown
08-16-2017, 06:40 PM
We haven't seen a single Kraang since the space arc. Only Utrom.

Yeah, that's what I had thought. Really does seem most likely that the threat of the Kraang is 100% over.

CyberCubed
08-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Kind of ironic then that Fred Wolf Krang, the original Krang, would be the last "Kraang" to appear in the show.

The one who started it all. Before him Utroms were just benevolent creatures.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Kind of ironic then that Fred Wolf Krang, the original Krang, would be the last "Kraang" to appear in the show.

The one who started it all. Before him Utroms were just benevolent creatures.

Also ironic that the last Shredder to appear is 80s Shredder and not the Nick version.

CyberCubed
08-16-2017, 07:12 PM
Yes, it is doubly ironic. Even more ironic given Kevin Michael Richardson is voicing him too since he did Nick's Shredder, rather than going with any other voice actor who could theoretically imitate the original Shredder's voice.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Yes, it is doubly ironic. Even more ironic given Kevin Michael Richardson is voicing him too since he did Nick's Shredder, rather than going with any other voice actor who could theoretically imitate the original Shredder's voice.

Regarless of how Shredder and Krang are wrapped up, I think no one will get a better final appearance than Bebop and Rocksteady. They not only get to meet their classic counterparts, but they even get to wear their outfits and from we've seen, it seems like they will be legitimate threats in the upcoming episodes.

CyberCubed
08-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Yeah I wonder about Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady's finale fates. Will they stay in the original cartoon universe? Will they go to jail? Be de-mutated?

I mean unlike the old villains who will largely just go back to the 80's universe and continue on as usual, we have no idea what will happen to Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady. Given Rahzar died, Tiger Claw declared a truce, Baxter got demutated and Fishface just went back to petty crime...I think anything could happen to them.

newfan
08-17-2017, 12:56 AM
Yeah I wonder about Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady's finale fates. Will they stay in the original cartoon universe? Will they go to jail? Be de-mutated?

I mean unlike the old villains who will largely just go back to the 80's universe and continue on as usual, we have no idea what will happen to Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady. Given Rahzar died, Tiger Claw declared a truce, Baxter got demutated and Fishface just went back to petty crime...I think anything could happen to them.

Given that they are more comical than the other villains I wonder if their end would have a comical tone.

TheJ-manTurtleMan
08-17-2017, 08:59 AM
I agree with others in that this might be the best version of Master Splinter, we needed more episodes with just him as the focus.
https://youtu.be/ibQO--Y9XLA

Cjmart019
08-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Nice tribute on the title referencing Lone Wolf and Cub, in which the protagonist Samurai pushes a cart with his baby in it while he wanders. Great episode!

MsMarvelDuckie
08-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Just finished catching up with this one, and I loved it! Seeing them as babies was so cute, and I loved seeing how Splinter's bond with them grew. I noticed the scene of him putting them to bed seemed like the one out of the 2014 movie, which made me smile a bit at the shout out (since they seemed to enjoy razzing on it in other eps) and the way they "chose" their weapons was so fitting. Figures Mikey would be sucking on his....

victory_angel
08-27-2017, 01:02 AM
Nice tribute on the title referencing Lone Wolf and Cub, in which the protagonist Samurai pushes a cart with his baby in it while he wanders. Great episode!

Not so much a Samurai but an executioner who is accused of a crime he didn't commit, and finds his entire house hold with the exception of his infant son murdered.

Knowning the child will be a problem, he gives his young son an ultimatum by placing two objects before him. A ball and a sword. He tells the child that if he chooses the ball he would join his mother in death, but if he chooses the sword he would become a demon like his father and seek vengance for the wrongs done to them.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-30-2017, 08:42 PM
I just recently read the volume that story of Usagi is from and I don't recall him giving the boy that choice. He was actually more of an assassin masquerading as a pilgrim or simple traveler. The cart was full of hidden weapons and even the child had a couple. He was hunting Usagi because of a duel he had fought with a former general.

victory_angel
08-30-2017, 10:54 PM
I just recently read the volume that story of Usagi is from and I don't recall him giving the boy that choice. He was actually more of an assassin masquerading as a pilgrim or simple traveler. The cart was full of hidden weapons and even the child had a couple. He was hunting Usagi because of a duel he had fought with a former general.

That choice occurs when Daigoro is one year of age.

Here is a link to that moment http://imgur.com/gallery/A7JFf

Ogami Ito was the Shogun's chief executioner which was a position of High power during the Tokugawa Shogunate. His family was murdered by the Yagyu Clan as a ploy to control the three keys to power. To incriminate Ito a funeral tablet with the Shogun's crest which was meant to symbolize that he desired the shogun's death which brands him as a traitor. So in order to avenge his post and clear his name, he needs to walk the demon's path of an assassin, but his son needed to choose his own path which is why he gives him the choice of following him or join his mother in death.

I like in the story Splinter took the Turtles (Leonardo in particular) attempting to mimic his katas as them choosing to learn Ninjitsu rather then him giving them that life style simply because that was the knowledge he had to pass on to them.

I also liked how Splinter didn't consider himself their father at first. Rather he saw them as a group of helpless innocents who were cursed with the same affliction he had been. And where someone else might have fled and left them to their fate, he took responsibility for them and it's only when he came to that sense of catharsis where he was asking if he should take this as a second chance to take on the fatherly role that he began to see them as his sons.

Casey
09-17-2017, 12:00 AM
Am I the only person who just views this as an Eastman episode with no ties to the show? Splinter never knew that much about the Kraang. If he did, the turtles wouldn't have said it was weird when Mikey talked about them in the first couple episodes. Also, half of the bots Splinter destroyed didn't have Kraang come out of them and he cut one in half which would've killed one.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Am I the only person who just views this as an Eastman episode with no ties to the show? Splinter never knew that much about the Kraang. If he did, the turtles wouldn't have said it was weird when Mikey talked about them in the first couple episodes. Also, half of the bots Splinter destroyed didn't have Kraang come out of them and he cut one in half which would've killed one.

Splinter might just have never told them anything about the kraang. He might've kept it all a secret.

victory_angel
09-17-2017, 12:29 AM

Well, Splinter may have just said they were robots, not aliens. From the sound of things, he has told the Turtles only the truncated version of their origin and this is the only time he is telling them the full story. We only saw the Kraang because we know these are the Kraang they are dealing with. In a way it does give some more insight to why Splinter was so hesitant about letting the Turtles out of the Lair in the pilot episode.

When we see Splinter being unsure the Turtles were ready to see the surface we are lead to believe he was afraid they would be careless and draw attention to themselves which would bring the Shredder to New York. And this is exactly what happened.

But looking at this episode, he has no reason to assume the Kraang had given up on looking for them. But his sons were only babies when they first encountered the Kraang so they would have very little memory or understanding of what was hunting them. All they would have really been cognizant of at that time was that they were in danger. So when they were saying they wanted to go to the surface they were ignorant of the dangers that still existed there. And yet in order to become the people they were to become they had to journey to the surface.

Also with the whole Mikey explaining that he saw an alien robot. Even if any of the Turtles remembered the story that Splinter told them, Mikey still has a wild imagination. So the Older Brother Trio would have learned long ago to take everything Mikey says with a grain of salt. And the fact that the Kraang Bot he destroyed was missing only proved to them Mikey's imagination was running away with him again.

Plus in the beginning of that exchange, Mikey phrases the sighting in a way that sounded like he was seeing things.

This is the exchange:

Mikey: Guys! Guys! You're never going to believe this! That dude! He...he had a brain!

Leo: We all have brains, Mikey!

Donnie: Not all of us!

Mikey: In our chests!

Leo: No Mikey, not in our chests!

Mikey: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!!!

(Bit where Leo slaps Mikey ala Captain Ryan style)

Donnie: I think he's delusional.

Mikey: Come here! The big guy was a robot and he had a freaky looking brain thing in his chest! You've got to believe me!

Raph: I'm not sure we do!

Yet this story would have made more sense if it started out the with the turtles in their present-day forms discovering something that could segway them into the flashback rather then having the entire episode start out with Splinter recounting their origin.

The only reason the episode was the way it was, was because they were tying it into the weapons origin.

Some families express their grief for their lost loved one by keeping the dead person's room and belongings intact. Part of this is to keep a small shred of normalcy, to keep the person in their life as they remembered them because if they change anything they would be afraid of losing all memory of that person if they changed or gave away anything. And also part of it is because by clearing that space they are accepting that person is gone for good.

Following the Kavaxas Arc, the Turtles do have a chance to say their goodbyes to their father before he ascends into heaven. So that moment may give them more of an inclination that it's time to let go of Master Splinter and depend on one another, after all, they are all they have now.

So the episode could have begun with the Turtles and family deciding to clean out his room. And while they are cleaning they find a secret journal that Splinter had written about his experiences in raising them. And it's here they learn about the full story of their origin.

DVD
09-17-2017, 05:57 AM
I am officially back up to speed with the TV adventures of our favorite Turtles.
I watched 4 of them back to back today.
The three parter was good fun and really well made. The environments were classy.

Then, episode 10. First thoughts: we were going to get a small filler ep. Then: written by Kevin Eastman..... and man , did he deliver. Superb episode.

Candy Kappa
09-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Also, half of the bots Splinter destroyed didn't have Kraang come out of them and he cut one in half which would've killed one.

It's the last season, I don't think the team cares about casualties being depicted as long as it isn't too explicit. Plenty of ronin bandits and neko ninja must have died in the Usagi crossover.