PDA

View Full Version : Best Version of Master Splinter

Autbot_Benz
08-13-2017, 11:39 AM
I figured since we are done with Splinter after Lone Wolf and Cubs id ask who's your favorite version of Splinter.

Personally for me I love Hoon Lee's take. He is the Father The Teacher and Ninja Master and plays all 3 of those perfectly.

I am only including the main 4 splinters.

ProphetofGanja
08-13-2017, 11:50 AM
IDW Splinter

neatoman
08-13-2017, 12:05 PM
IDW Splinter

Yeah, as for a voice actor... Mako, you can't beat Mako. You can tell from the writing in the Nick show they wish they could have cast Mako.

fAuRvX4Phpg
89rKnkNDKdM
CnPmtwBiD8I
sMqQOGTshak

Autbot_Benz
08-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Sorry I should have put an other option. Stupid thing won't let me add an extra option to my poll :lol:

Utrommaniac
08-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Nick, since it's the one I'm most familiar with.

I haven't watched the 2007 movie, nor do I particularly want to, but Mako as Splinter is brilliant.

newfan
08-13-2017, 01:07 PM
I haven't seen enough of all of the others to make a non bias choice but I do think it would still be Hoon Lee's Splinter.

CyberCubed
08-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Nick's Splinter is the best.

I haven't watched the 2007 movie, nor do I particularly want to, but Mako as Splinter is brilliant.

Well, why don't you? It's only an 80 minute movie, you can watch it online very easily. It's something worth seeing at least once.

GoldMutant
08-13-2017, 01:29 PM
I haven't seen Next Mutation nor played the 2007 video game. I can't count Stephen Mendel or Terrence Scammell because of that. Otherwise, here are my thoughts:

1. Hoon Lee- One of the best casting decisions of Nick. He nails the softness and warmth of a father while also being wise and even stern as a father.

2. Kevin Clash- "I've always liked Cowabunga. I made a funny."

"Go, Ninja! Go, Ninja! I made another funny!"

Pure gold. :lol:

3. Mako/Greg Baldwin- In his final role, Mako definitely shows the best wisdom of the Splinters. I wish we had gotten more of him; I also gotta show respect to Greg Baldwin for stepping in. I really hate Mako died, but this was a nice final role for him.

4. Peter Renaday- Peter is honestly just middling to me. I like him, but not as much as the others.

5/6. Darren Dunstan/Tony Shalhoub- Both these guys are just unmemorable in the role. Dunstan felt too soft and Shalhoub, to me, a bit gruff. Hard to decide one over the other though.

7. James Murray (Clash's replacement)- No. Just no.

Personally speaking, with the exception of Murray, Coming Out of Shells, and personally, Woodburn, I really don't think Splinter has had a bad voice actor. Each has something different brought to the table.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Woodburn didn't voice him- he only did the mo-cap. Big disagreement over it too. He was voiced by Tony Shaloub in the PD movies. Not BAD per se, but not really that great either.

GoldMutant
08-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Woodburn didn't voice him- he only did the mo-cap. Big disagreement over it too. He was voiced by Tony Shaloub in the PD movies. Not BAD per se, but not really that great either.

Yep, corrected myself when I saw.

If I recall, Woodburn did voice him, but not in the movie. Instead, it was a mobile version of the 2014 game.

He still sounded weak though. :lol: Mistake corrected.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Yeah I almost forgot about the game but then I never played it so I wouldn't know. I think he might have been in the original trailers but wouldn't swear to it.

ToTheNines
08-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Greg Baldwin? I thought Mako finished all his lines before he passed.

GoldMutant
08-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Greg Baldwin? I thought Mako finished all his lines before he passed.

If I recall, Mako provided the majority of the recording until his passing.

As with Aku in the Samurai Jack revival and Uncle Iroh in Avatar, Greg took over a bit following Mako's passing. I may be wrong though.

Powder
08-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Prolly a tie between '87, '90, & '12, so no vote just yet.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Nick > 2007 > FW > 1990+SoTo > 2k3 >>>>>>>> Bayturtles >>>>>>> tmnt 3

Vegeta
08-13-2017, 08:54 PM
IDW and Nick Splinter are my favorites. I think i like the nick splinter more than the Nick turtles.

Optimus Primer
08-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Nick Splinter is my favorite.

DestronMirage22
08-13-2017, 11:39 PM
2k3 Splinter.

Andrew NDB
08-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Are we talking about "who did the best Splinter voice"? Are we talking about "what is the best version of Splinter in any universe"? These are very different things.

How confusing.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Are we talking about "who did the best Splinter voice"? Are we talking about "what is the best version of Splinter in any universe"? These are very different things.

How confusing.

I think its a mix of all factors to see who is the overall best.

Andrew NDB
08-14-2017, 01:30 AM
I think its a mix of all factors to see who is the overall best.

If so... that seems wildly unfair. And unclear. Would, say, Archie Splinter be judged poorer than Movie #1 Splinter, because Movie #1 Splinter had a better voice actor and Archie Splinter had no voice actor at all?

Shark_Blade
08-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Nick Splinter.

I love that he towered tall over his children. And he's so sarcastic and a powerful force to be reckoned with.

Krutch
08-14-2017, 06:49 AM
One of the few times I'll vote for the Fred Wolf option. I like the show, don't get me wrong, it's just one of my least favourite incarnations. But that Splinter was great. Warm, wise, skilled... just an awesome character. And I liked how in Turtles Forever, the 2k3 Turtles admit to feeling that Splinter was the one thing in that universe that felt like home.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
If so... that seems wildly unfair. And unclear. Would, say, Archie Splinter be judged poorer than Movie #1 Splinter, because Movie #1 Splinter had a better voice actor and Archie Splinter had no voice actor at all?

Well he (The OP) didn't mention Archie Splinter at all. The only options in the poll are movies and tv shows which are comparable.

Splinter the boss
08-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Nick splinter is killing it.

TurtleTitan97
08-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Nick Splinter would have to get my vote as well.

pferreira
08-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Peter Renaday Splinter I liked the most. Was the most approachable, most friendly Splinter but also the most caring. I can see from him how the Turtles ended up the way they did. Kevin Clash comes close in that he was more a father but FW Splinter was a combination of all the great qualities of the character.

I didn't like 4Kids Splinter that much.