PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Tales Trades

Vegeta
08-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Did IDW D/C these? I took a few year break from collecting the idw books and I see its still not even close to nearing the end but adventures is getting up there. Thanks for the help.

neatoman
08-14-2017, 04:09 AM
There hasn't been any new ones since March 2016, not really sure why and there's no point in asking Bobby since it's not his department. My guess is that had to prioritise certain series to print and since by that point Adventures was like five or six trades away from completion while Tales was nine and needed new coloring with much higher quality paper, they just went with the cheaper option. Maybe they'll finish up Adventures and continue Tales then?

Editor's Note Comics
08-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Tales Vol. 9 has a placeholder date right now through Diamond of 12/31/2019. So not officially cancelled, but not super likely.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Tales Vol. 9 has a placeholder date right now through Diamond of 12/31/2019. So not officially cancelled, but not super likely.

Yeowch. That's a terrible placeholder date.

I wish we had someone we could ask who actually works in that department...

neatoman
08-14-2017, 10:15 AM
12/31/2019

Two years, four months, two weeks and three days from now... That's pretty bad.

The Fifth Turtle
08-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Two years, four months, two weeks and three days from now... That's pretty bad.

Only thing worse is if they stop these all together and those of us who have been collecting them get stuck with an incomplete collection. WTF

neatoman
08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Hopefully that preliminary date is nothing but an arbitrary number chosen for the large window of opportunity and the actual release date is much closer to the present.

If my guess is that it's been held back because it'd be cheaper to print the rest of Archie first is correct, then let's hope they'll hurry up with announcing the last two volumes of that so we get back on track with Tales.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 12:29 PM
The sad thing is the Tales trades were the only Mirage trades IDW was still putting out. Since we don't get Image/Vol 4, the Tales stuff was the only Mirage material we were getting.

Since they stopped Tales too, now we're not getting *any* Mirage releases. We just keep getting issue #1 reprinted over and over.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-14-2017, 01:10 PM
I wonder if the decline in IDW reprinting Mirage volumes has anything to do with the decline of the Nick show and toyline, or if the timing is a matter of coincidence...

neatoman
08-14-2017, 01:22 PM
I wonder if the decline in IDW reprinting Mirage volumes has anything to do with the decline of the Nick show and toyline, or if the timing is a matter of coincidence...

Seeing how they're still doing the Archie Trades, I'd say coincidence.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Seeing how they're still doing the Archie Trades, I'd say coincidence.

Good point. Maybe instead it's Nick clamping down on Mirage stuff... getting ready to push their new Rise of the Toddler Turtles Go show or whatever it turns out to be?

Vegeta
08-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Image and volume 4 reprints have been ruled out? Nick doesnt have the rights to those? Whew, these trades come out at a glacial pace, wish they did bigger trades.

neatoman
08-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Good point. Maybe instead it's Nick clamping down on Mirage stuff... getting ready to push their new Rise of the Toddler Turtles Go show or whatever it turns out to be?

Don't think so either, they're still printing Mirage stuff (just last week there was that Artisan edition), they just haven't come out with any new trades for over a year.

I'm still sticking to the budget excuse, it just makes more financial sense to finish up the low-quality Archie trades when there's so few left to make (and let's just be clear here, the Archie trades are really awful, like stupid awful), than it does to make the higher quality Tales reprints when they're not even a third way through. I would have prefered it if it was the other way around but if it was a budget reason I don't blame them...

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 02:16 PM

What on earth would the TV shows have anything to do with the comics? Or what IDW reprints?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-14-2017, 02:38 PM
What on earth would the TV shows have anything to do with the comics? Or what IDW reprints?

I dunno, man, but they're all owned by ONE company. That one company makes decisions based on what it wants to promote and what it doesn't want to promote.

CyberCubed
08-14-2017, 02:56 PM
It's more likely the Mirage trades just weren't selling that well outside the Ultimate Collections. They made 10 Mirage Volumes after that (which was the guest issues of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2), and they made 8 Tales trades.

Altogether that was 18 TPB's, but I don't think sales were too great. I don't think we've seen the last of Mirage trades from IDW and I'm sure they'll print more stuff eventually, but I can understand the break.

ToTheNines
08-14-2017, 06:28 PM
I dunno, man, but they're all owned by ONE company. That one company makes decisions based on what it wants to promote and what it doesn't want to promote.

Also consider that we now have TWO ongoing TMNT comics, we got an FCBD ish, two 5-issue weekly minis and the Usagi one-shot all in one calendar year. Plus we had the Batman Adventures mini and Robotanimals this year.

They just might be trying to not overload retailers with TMNT sh*t. And I'll certainly sacrifice reprints for more new material.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Also consider that we now have TWO ongoing TMNT comics, we got an FCBD ish, two 5-issue weekly minis and the Usagi one-shot all in one calendar year. Plus we had the Batman Adventures mini and Robotanimals this year.

They just might be trying to not overload retailers with TMNT sh*t. And I'll certainly sacrifice reprints for more new material.

I can live with that. :tgrin:

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-15-2017, 05:35 AM
Ugh, guys I do NOT think there is some kind of anti-Mirage conspiracy going on. I agree with some here it's just how much material- both reprint and new- they can put out at one time. Let's wait until Archie is fully reprinted, before concluding Mirage reprints have been shelved. :/ (and as somebody already stated, Mirage stuff is still coming out) I'm still hoping Nick has a change of heart, and allows the image run to see print again someday.

ToTheNines
08-15-2017, 06:01 AM
Curnow recently suggested that it's more likely that we get Image reprinted before Volume 4. Plus the rumors from a while back that they were gonna do an official Image conclusion.

Diorm
08-17-2017, 12:31 PM
The only reason I didnt continue reading the tales TPB from IDW is because I don't want to get spoiled for the Volume 3 and 4 since I didnt read those. Why? Because i'm still waiting for TPB collection from IDW. I'm not the kind of guy who buy single issues. I like trades because it looks better on a shelf (Hell Hardcover is even better). And I'm okay with the conclusion Andrew gave us for the Volume 3.
Heck I didnt even read my Odyssey TPB because I didnt read Volume 4! And I just backed Origins!
If there is a collection that needs a real conclusion is the Aventure one. With Forever War.

member_removed
08-17-2017, 02:36 PM
There hasn't been any new ones since March 2016, not really sure why and there's no point in asking Bobby since it's not his department. My guess is that had to prioritise certain series to print and since by that point Adventures was like five or six trades away from completion while Tales was nine and needed new coloring with much higher quality paper, they just went with the cheaper option. Maybe they'll finish up Adventures and continue Tales then?

I would be ok if they choose to carry on without colour. It was originally in Black and White.

pferreira
08-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Since they stopped Tales too, now we're not getting *any* Mirage releases. We just keep getting issue #1 reprinted over and over.That is sad. Would love to complete my trades collection. :-?

Image and volume 4 reprints have been ruled out? Nick doesnt have the rights to those? Whew, these trades come out at a glacial pace, wish they did bigger trades.No one at IDW has said yet they won't get reprinted, it's just a case of waiting. At this point Volume 3 seems most likely.

Diorm
08-17-2017, 02:49 PM
No one at IDW has said yet they won't get reprinted, it's just a case of waiting. At this point Volume 3 seems most likely.

It would be about time. We've been asking them for years now to reprints those and they never answered even to the simple question: if they had the rights to do it.
Just say no and we wont hope and wait for them...

neatoman
08-17-2017, 03:58 PM
I would be ok if they choose to carry on without colour. It was originally in Black and White.

Sure? It's just going to look rather weird to continue it uncolored. They could in theory republish the 80's era Tales and Volume 2 as Ultimate Collection 7-9, but then you'd get more of the material they've already printed.

CyberCubed
08-17-2017, 04:39 PM
IDW said the reason they color them in the first place is because of sales. Your average casual fan isn't going to pick up a black and white comic.

Diorm
08-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Well people who are used to manga can buy black and white comics.

neatoman
08-18-2017, 04:39 AM
Well people who are used to manga can buy black and white comics.

Do they sell just as well though? Are we talking enough of an overlapping audience here?

Diorm
08-18-2017, 06:26 AM
Well Walking Dead is popular isnt it? And there was Sin City too when the movies came up. It goes with the flows. But yeah indy black and white comic isnt that popular. It needs to be something popular. Like TMNT.

pferreira
08-24-2017, 10:23 AM
It would be about time. We've been asking them for years now to reprints those and they never answered even to the simple question: if they had the rights to do it.
Just say no and we wont hope and wait for them...I get your frustration although they have been busy with reprinting Volume 1 and 2. It's possible Volume 3 might be in colour which is why there's the delay.

Well Walking Dead is popular isnt it? And there was Sin City too when the movies came up. It goes with the flows. But yeah indy black and white comic isnt that popular. It needs to be something popular. Like TMNT.Kind of agree with CyberCubed here, it's about maximising sales but very possible they'll do a Colour Classics and Ultimate Collection for Volume 3. I personally am quite excited to see how Volume 3 is brought into colour.

DestronMirage22
08-24-2017, 10:32 AM
I personally am quite excited to see how Volume 3 is brought into colour.

Even though I'd rather Vol. 3 be reprinted in its original/unaltered format, I'd be interested in seeing how they manage to color in those issues. There was a lot of plain white space and the inking sometimes left a lot to be desired, so it would be a bit of a challenge coloring it all in without changing too much.

TristanHuwJones
08-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Tales stuff's been stopped. Wasn't told why. Paul Harmon just found a bunch of his original art files and offered to hand them over and colour his own work, and I reached out to the guys in charge and was told the above. Sorry guys.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Tales stuff's been stopped. Wasn't told why. Paul Harmon just found a bunch of his original art files and offered to hand them over and colour his own work, and I reached out to the guys in charge and was told the above. Sorry guys.

Not surprised. :tsad: The writing seemed to be on the wall already...

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-24-2017, 08:59 PM
The big question I'd want to ask then, is this; how were sales on the tales trades doing? If they were selling high, I don't' see why they wouldn't continue, unless Nick actually did pull the plug on Mirage reprints.

Sabacooza
08-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Kind of lame to start doing collected books and then never finish. Who wants to collect only half of a collection?

Powder
08-24-2017, 09:30 PM
That's why I never bought into these. Knew it'd be cut short. Not exactly happy to be right, but yeah...

neatoman
08-25-2017, 03:35 AM
XhI0OVs_zj0

DestronMirage22
08-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Geez, that doesn't bode well.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Huh, from what Bobby was saying in another thread, I guess it's just poor sales that ended the trades. :(

bjaxx87
08-26-2017, 09:19 AM
That's a real bummer... Harmon's work would have appeared in Volume 10 (or 11 if they went back to 4 issues per volume). Maybe that was too far in the future to have concrete plans considering they're still holding back volume 9? They just announced an omnibus collecting volumes 1-4 (current release date: May 15, 2018), so I have hopes that they will pick the series up again once the second omnibus was released (which will take a while...).

John Pannozzi
08-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Well, what do you know, we're getting a Tales omnibus.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tales-Teenage-Mutant-Turtles-Omnibus/dp/1684051703/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503773677&sr=1-1&keywords=idw+publishing

CyberCubed
08-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Hopefully they're just taking a break from new Tales trades then. Maybe after they finish collecting the Archie run they'll start up Tales again.

pferreira
08-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Hopefully they're just taking a break from new Tales trades then. Maybe after they finish collecting the Archie run they'll start up Tales again.That's what I think will happen. It's about resources.

THGhost
09-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Been meaning to start this series for a while. Not sure if I should pull the trigger just yet until I know for sure that it's coming back. Unless any of you guys reckon I should just go for it? :ohwell:

Chris
09-30-2017, 03:42 PM
I'd say if you've enjoyed the other Mirage reprints then go for it!

THGhost
10-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Gone with the Omnibus, Vol. 1. Since it comes out next May that should give me plenty of time to finish Mirage vol. 4 and at least start the IDW series.