PDA

View Full Version : Which incarntion first drew you in?

newfan
08-15-2017, 11:14 AM
I'm a little uneasy posting a thread as I've not been here long and I'm sure something like this would have been done previously, so apologies if is has.

I just wondered where everyone started with TMNT, was it the comics, one of the cartoons or movies which first drew you in? Were you a child, teen or late starting adult? (like me)

Andrew NDB
08-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Some awareness of the TMNT from friends at school talking about the cartoon. I remember a friend passing around a copy of the Archie TMNT comic #6 and perusing it. Then the cartoon and toys. First couple of movies. Then one day I was digging in the TMNT back issue bins at my comic store and bought Mirage TMNT Vol. 1 #21.

Candy Kappa
08-15-2017, 11:29 AM
I don't remember my first contact with TMNT, it was either the toys or the FW show. But as a kid I absolutely hated the show since I only got to see episodes that did not engage me at all such as the Super Irma episode and Musketeer episode etc. So the toys, 1990 movie and the Archie comics is what made me drawn to the property and when I had access to the internet I discovered the Mirage Comics which cemented it all.

neatoman
08-15-2017, 11:34 AM
I would assume it's the 4kids version.

IndigoErth
08-15-2017, 11:38 AM
The original cartoon. I had only just turned 5 two weeks before the first ever comic came out, so, unfortunately, I was definitely too young for it and it would be a few years until I knew about them. But I was there when they exploded into pop culture history, so that makes up for it.

Utrommaniac
08-15-2017, 11:40 AM
2012. I tried to watch it simultaneously with FW, but then I got caught up in the action/storyline. IDW is what sealed the deal though.

ToTheNines
08-15-2017, 11:54 AM
I guess the toys and the NES games as a kid.

Finding the first movie on VHS at Walmart during the dead years (2001/2002) reignited my flame, and just in time for the 2003 boom.

ABrown
08-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Seeing the first movie in the theater in 1990 is what made me a TMNT fan. I didn't become of fan of the first cartoon until after the movie made me a fan of the franchise.

FredWolfLeonardo
08-15-2017, 01:52 PM
tmnt 2003/2007 made me interested in tmnt but Nick/FW got me hooked.

sdp
08-15-2017, 02:00 PM
If we go by general consensus of the internet then everyone was a mirage TMNT fan from the start :lol:

snake
08-15-2017, 02:48 PM
My uncle's OT toys around 2003/04. Had some great memories of playing with that stuff. He had the Technodrome, the Lair, and just about every figure up until 1993.

discordiatookie
08-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Can't remember what came first, the toys or the cartoon for me. Then all the merchandise, movies, Archie comics, etc. Then grew out of them as I hit my teens.

Then in late 2002, early 2003 I found the four colour collections by First of the original 11 or so Mirage comics in a used book store. Rekindled my love for (mostly) all things TMNT.

CyberCubed
08-15-2017, 03:05 PM
I saw the original cartoon since I was 3 years old, and being a child of the 80's Turtlemania was everywhere at the time, so between that and the toys and videogames I was taken in by a lot of 80's kids.

People often forget TMNT was the "Pokemon" of the 80's and early 90's. It was a huge fad phenomenon that every kid back then pretty much got into, in almost the same manner that Power Rangers or Pokemon were huge fads afterward.

Powder
08-15-2017, 03:41 PM
The original toyline, subsequently its accompanying cartoon.

oldmanwinters
08-15-2017, 03:48 PM
The original toyline, subsequently its accompanying cartoon.

Same here. Spotted the toyline on the shelves in Wal-mart and was absolutely amazed that it was a thing of beauty. First figure I got was Raphael. First cartoon episode I remember seeing was a portion of "The Fifth Turtle" when the show aired early in the morning on the FOX affiliate before I had to leave for school. Never did catch the end of those pre-CBS episodes until they finally came out on DVD!

Wesley
08-15-2017, 04:51 PM
The Fred Wolf toon in the early 90s when I was 3 or 4.

MrPliggins
08-15-2017, 04:58 PM
I first saw them when the first wave of action figures caught my eye in a local department store circa 1988. Then my cousin brought over some of the figures to play with one day and he told me there was a cartoon show at 6am Saturdays. I caught my first episode, "Splinter No More", that Saturday, and pretty much just kept watching and recording them every Saturday from then on out.

DevilSpooky
08-15-2017, 06:05 PM
FW for me, then the toys/videogames and Archie, to this day I still favor the character designs from FW, although nowadays I can't really stand the show itself anymore.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Seeing the first movie in the theater in 1990 is what made me a TMNT fan. I didn't become of fan of the first cartoon until after the movie made me a fan of the franchise.

Pretty much the same here. I went to see the movie with my two best friends on opening weekend, and fell in love with the characters and their story. I knew of the cartoon but didn't become hooked until the movie. Fell out of it around NM, and was only vaguely aware of the 2003 series. Took a fellow writer to reignite my love.

TurtleTitan97
08-15-2017, 07:57 PM
The 2003 animated series.

Ulisa
08-15-2017, 11:35 PM
The original series was my first introduction to it and I loved it. It was very popular when I was in elementary school and I remember having a few of the books that were released. The live action movies kept me interested about through...I'd say after the release of the 3rd movie.

Lost interest for a bit but then I heard they were releasing a new animation series when I was in high school. I was skeptical, especially since I heard it was very different from the 80s series. Avoided it for a time but, oddly enough, I read a fanfiction around 2004-2006 called "The Couch" which took placed after 'Return to New York' and it got me intrigued enough to try it. (Ironically, I have never been able to find that story again) Needless to say, I fell in love with turtles again. Still love me the 80s series but I have almost equal love for the 2003 series.

I think that's about the time I started to read Archie and tried Mirage as well though I can't recall exactly.

newfan
08-16-2017, 02:30 AM
I managed to miss most of the 80's show with a vague memory of watching a few of them. No-one could have missed the hype when the first movie came out, I watched it eventually but forgot about it.
Last spring my son found the 2012's on sky, their new look caught my attention and I watched a little with him....and here I am!.
I've since read up a little on the various incarnations and caught up on all the movies (incl animated) except the 3rd movie in the original trilogy. There's a lot of TMNT though :)

newfan
08-16-2017, 02:42 AM
My uncle's OT toys around 2003/04. Had some great memories of playing with that stuff. He had the Technodrome, the Lair, and just about every figure up until 1993.

That's cool, always good to keep those kind of toys.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Can you please make this a poll?

newfan
08-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Can you please make this a poll?

Is it not a little bit late to do that now? I can if people want.

pferreira
08-17-2017, 04:37 PM
First saw the FW series on Going Live on BBC 1. The first episode I saw I think was Return of the Shredder or it was the next episode. Was totally hooked into it. I went and read the Mirage comics and experienced other iterations of TMNT but I never felt any were as enjoyable and good as the 80s series.

ZacksSoUgly
08-20-2017, 12:05 PM
I was born in '88, so I was too young to understand my fandom for a while. I'm assuming my parents just bought me the toys 'cos they were popular at the time and I watched the cartoon 'cos I had the toys. I was in love with the Turtles before I could speak coherent sentences. Even though the original movie (1990) came out before I was 2yrs old, that's the version that cemented my love for TMNT. I had a copy on VHS that my brother and I ran into the ground. That's my favorite version of the Turtles. From their look to their personalities, that's the version I look to when comparing/contrasting any other version.

TurtleWA
08-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Original toys followed by cartoon and associated merch. :tcool:

BubblyShell22
08-20-2017, 05:11 PM
FW cartoon when I was younger. Then I saw the toys again in 2003 and found out from one of my friends that a new show was on. First ep I saw of that was "Meet Casey Jones" and I was hooked from then on but really didn't like FF or BBTS that much. Have stuck with the 2012 series thus far and that's it really.

eskater
08-21-2017, 08:57 AM
The original FW series for sure, as a baby/toddler mind you lol. My older cousins watched it and I got hooked. The comics side the Archie series, only had one since I lived out in the sticks (I don't even know where it was bought honestly), got into the Mirage series when they had the original site up and you could read the originals for free. Exploded from there.

inaheap
08-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Started hearing kids playing turtles on the playground. Finally saw one of the OT episodes. That was it. I have been hooked ever since.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-22-2017, 12:22 AM
The OT got me started, then Archie and the movies. I loosely followed other versions over the years, until IDW started and cemented it for me.

cammy85
08-22-2017, 08:52 AM
The OT for sure. I don't remember the episode unfortunately. I'm thinking the Killer Pizzas episode. The Archie comics weren't easy to find but I did manage to get 3/4 of the Final Conflict arc and where they meet Jagwar. Other than specials, I was only able to get the movie adaptations and the Mutanimals mini-series.

Tarris Vaal
08-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Kinda similar to NewFan on this one... I was there for the FW series but never really got into it (Star wars was my big thing - turtles never appealed much)

I do remember going to and enjoying the first 90s movie however, but after that Turtles fell completely off the radar. Then in 2014 I bought season 1+2 of the 2012 series for a birthday present for my daughters friend. He had it already - we got him something else and I was curious enough to watch an episode.... And then binge watched the entire series.

And here we are.

Not really sure what drew me in so much really. I think that it was a combination of it being much more serialized as a show, but also that I liked the 2012 character designs (especially the main cast and Shredder).

I've since drifted towards IDW a little as well, but I still dont find the early comics and 2k3 especially appealing. I think the character designs have a lot to do with that.

neatoman
08-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Alright here's a hypothetical, given that there are multiple easily obtained trades for Mirage via IDW, how likely is it that more people will be drawn in through Mirage?

Vicky82
08-22-2017, 03:27 PM
The 80s cartoon.

newfan
08-22-2017, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Tarris Vaal;1708917]

Glad I'm not the only one :) I too sort of binge watched the first two series as they were on sky on demand.

2K3
08-23-2017, 10:15 AM
I grew up with the 80s series and films but it was the 2003 series that stapled it for me!

Cyndaquilfan123
08-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Randomly tried out a Nick toon episode after hearing good things on IGN. Made me a fan, and I've been dipping my feet into other versions as well.

Tetsu Deinonychus
08-23-2017, 01:50 PM
Alright here's a hypothetical, given that there are multiple easily obtained trades for Mirage via IDW, how likely is it that more people will be drawn in through Mirage?
I guess it depends on how many people who have never really checked out TMNT before are cruising the comic shop (or comic section of a book-store), see it, and decide to give it a whirl.

It's possible, I guess.

KillCrites
08-24-2017, 11:20 AM
My first exposure to the Turtles was the 2003 cartoon. I didn't get big into it until the 2012 series though.