PDA

View Full Version : Cilantro: Soapy or Delicious?

Krutch
08-17-2017, 10:15 AM
http://edengourmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/cilantro_garden_of_eden.png

Where do YOU fall?

tmntfannumerouno
08-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Have people actually described it as having a soapy taste? I've never heard that before:lol:. I think it taste great and it's easy to grow. Just chop up some tomato, Seranos, Onion, and Cilantro and put it on your tacos with some lime hmmmm:D. I'm hungry now.:lol:

Candy Kappa
08-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Yeah, it's a genetic thing. So for some people it tastes like soap.

plastroncafe
08-17-2017, 10:43 AM
My mom thinks it tastes like soap, but me and my sibling do not.

It is a delectable thing that brings joy and light into the world.

Krutch
08-17-2017, 10:51 AM
It is a delectable thing that brings joy and light into the world.

Preach it, brother.

IndigoErth
08-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Ew. No thanks. I don't actually quite taste the soap that my mom does, but I find it still an unpleasant flowery perfume flavor.

So it's in-between for me. I'm not left trying to rinse the flavor out of my mouth, but I still don't care for it. I don't enjoy the flavor of what, in theory, rose perfume might taste like, sans other perfume chemicals.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-17-2017, 03:26 PM
As one who has eaten rose petals/hips, they actually taste a little bland but also faintly sweet. I like cilantro but find it a bit "hot".

Utrommaniac
08-17-2017, 03:31 PM
I get something more bitter, personally, but I'm not an enormous fan.

TurtleWA
08-17-2017, 03:54 PM
I enjoy pico de gallo and I'm pretty sure has cilantro as an ingredient.

edit: yep it does
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pico-de-gallo-fresh-tomato-salsa-364429

MsMarvelDuckie
08-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Hence why I said it tastes hot. Its part of what makes pico spicy.

TurtleWA
08-17-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm sure it depends on the recipe and also the personal taste of the person because I don't think pico is spicy at all and I often mix a more spicy salsa with it. Also didn't read previous posts before posting. :lol:

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 04:33 PM
There is very little that cilantro does not improve at least 25%.

IndigoErth
08-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Interesting because I never knew that cilantro was supposedly spicy. Or bitter. So maybe those are other genetic variants?

I'm sure actual roses probably taste far better, but rose perfume would be gross...much like cilantro. lol

I enjoy pico de gallo and I'm pretty sure has cilantro as an ingredient.

edit: yep it does
"Pretty sure," aka must be immune to it then. :trazz: If it's in something I will notice that flavor immediately. More of a "has to be" situation. lol

TurtleWA
08-17-2017, 05:16 PM
"Pretty sure," aka must be immune to it then. :trazz: If it's in something I will notice that flavor immediately. More of a "has to be" situation. lol The onion is what I notice most often and it seems to overtake the cilantro in my circumstance. Taste is a strange and varied thing forsure. :tsmile:

Ninjinister
08-17-2017, 06:05 PM
This is a weird topic even for this place.

ProactiveMan
08-17-2017, 06:10 PM
It's know as coriander here - I think it's OK. My dad and one of my sisters have the soap problem. Dad really hates it.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Im not 100% sure but I THINK coriander is a different plant. It's always listed seperately in my herbals.

Katie
08-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Coriander is the seed that a cilantro plant makes.

Any and all my southwest food must include cilantro. It is amazing.

DestronMirage22
08-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Cilantro tasting like soap?

Huh?

I've never heard it described like that before. Weird.

Anywho, I like cilantro on my tacos. It's also alright when they throw some in some stew. But apart from that, I never really eat the stuff.

Candy Kappa
08-18-2017, 02:21 AM
Coriander is the seed that a cilantro plant makes

Cilantro is just the Spanish word for coriander, so I don't think most of euorope uses the word cilantro to refer to coriander leaves

ProactiveMan
08-18-2017, 04:53 AM
Cilantro is just the Spanish word for coriander, so I don't think most of euorope uses the word cilantro to refer to coriander leaves

That is my understanding too. I think coriander is from a French (maybe Greek) root word.

We refer to the plant, leaves and all, as coriander.

Katie
08-18-2017, 05:31 AM
I was just talking about the difference in Amercan English (which is why Ducky has two separate herb book listings). Same plant, but two different words in American English to describe two different parts of the same plant, which are used in different ways.

Candy Kappa
08-18-2017, 05:33 AM
That is my understanding too. I think coriander is from a French (maybe Greek) root word.

We refer to the plant, leaves and all, as coriander.

Yeah iirc it's from a Old French word that originated from a Latin/Greek word.

I've never heard of the word cilantro until a couple of weeks ago when it was mentioned on Major Spoiler's Top 5 Podcast

Prowler
08-18-2017, 06:11 AM
I had to google the word Cilantro since I had no idea wtf it was. According to wikipedia, it's what we call "Coentros" in my country. They don't taste like soap. Why would they? O_o

ProactiveMan
08-21-2017, 03:12 AM
I had to google the word Cilantro since I had no idea wtf it was. According to wikipedia, it's what we call "Coentros" in my country. They don't taste like soap. Why would they? O_o

It's something to do with the taste receptors in people's tongues. Apparently it differs between ethnic groups, but a small to moderate percentage of the population are sensitive to a substance in the plant, which they describe as tasting like soap, or like it's rotten. Another theory is that coriander really tastes like soap, but most people don't have the olfactory senses to taste it.