PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Kenobi movie in development

NinjaPug
08-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Sigh. More of the same from Lucasfilm.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Could be great. But hard to get excited about another ANH prequel/lead-in at this point.

Autbot_Benz
08-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Fans have been begging for an Obi-Wan Movie. more so than the Han Solo movie that is being made

sdp
08-17-2017, 01:36 PM
While not what I exactly want, it at least makes sense to make this now since Ewan Mcgregor is the right age and we need to take advantage of that so I'm good.

Casting a new Han-Solo on the other hand was not didn't make sense and no one wanted it either. The only way a Han-Solo movie would've been accepted was if it were Harrison Ford.

Vegita-San
08-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Could be great. But hard to get excited about another ANH prequel/lead-in at this point.

agreed. Disney better shape up fast. if eight isn't great, I may just skip nine at theaters at this rate. and that's coming from a huge star wars fan.

CyberCubed
08-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Well if they make a movie between Episode 3 and 4 this will be perfect. If they don't use Ewan Mcgregor though I'll lose all interest. He played Obi-Wan very well.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 01:40 PM
If they don't use Ewan Mcgregor though I'll lose all interest.

I can't imagine they wouldn't use him. Even the sternest prequel haters don't really have anything bad to say about him as Obi-Wan.

NinjaPug
08-17-2017, 01:41 PM
What is left to tell for Obi-Wan? A movie set between III and IV does not excite me. Maybe a smaller, Western-like story on Tatooine that didn't connect to anything we've seen before could be ok but I don't see Lucasfilm taking that chance. They'll have to have all the spectacle and fan service.

I guess you could ditch Ewan and do a movie set before ep I but that also seems dull.

I think I hate this idea more than the young Han Solo movie.

The director choice isn't anything to get excited about either.

oldmanwinters
08-17-2017, 01:49 PM
What is left to tell for Obi-Wan? A movie set between III and IV does not excite me. Maybe a smaller, Western-like story on Tatooine that didn't connect to anything we've seen before could be ok but I don't see Lucasfilm taking that chance. They'll have to have all the spectacle and fan service.

I am all for bringing back the "Western in Space" tone that was so prevalent in 1977.

newfan
08-17-2017, 02:10 PM
I wonder what time point it would be. Not feeling too excited about it but see how it turns out.

TigerClaw
08-17-2017, 02:14 PM
It would have to take place before Episode 4, and have Obi-Wan spending most of his time on Tatooine.

CyberCubed
08-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Do you guys serious believe Obi-wan did nothing for 17 years and just sat on Tatooine as a hermit? There's obviously stories that happened inbetween there just like they fill the gaps between the movies in every other era.

newfan
08-17-2017, 02:27 PM
It would have to take place before Episode 4, and have Obi-Wan spending most of his time on Tatooine.

So it will turn out he wasn't an old hermit hiding away all that time after all :) He did have...how old was Luke in Ep 4? ..... well that many years to do something interesting, hopefully he would be off Tatooine for a good proportion of it...when he wasn't watching over Luke.

ranger_scout
08-17-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm really hoping like with Wicked, which Daldry is also directing, that by the time cameras roll, he will enough experience with special-effects because if you look at the list of films he's done, you don't really see any of those big blockbuster fantasy or science-fiction films listed.

TigerClaw
08-17-2017, 02:38 PM
What I can see happening with this movie, is a cameo by Luke Skywalker, What they could do is have Mark Hamill play the Young Luke, and ILM can use the same technology that recreated Grand Moff Tarkin, to recreate a younger version of himself.

ToTheNines
08-17-2017, 02:38 PM
I'm betting we eventually find out he's Rey's grandfather and this will act as her origin story.

So it will turn out he wasn't an old hermit hiding away all that time after all :) He did have...how old was Luke in Ep 4? ..... well that many years to do something interesting, hopefully he would be off Tatooine for a good proportion of it...when he wasn't watching over Luke.

19 years.

Autbot_Benz
08-17-2017, 02:47 PM
do like a Ronin Story for Obi Wan where he is the wandering Jedi on Tattooine or something like that.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 02:54 PM
I'm betting we eventually find out he's Rey's grandfather and this will act as her origin story.

There was a rumor floating around about that a few months back.

I guess they could go that route, but it's not terribly exciting. And if Rey turns out to be some kind of super Jedi doing crazy Jedi stuff even beyond what Yoda could do, she didn't get that from Obi-Wan... he's just a pretty average Jedi.

ToTheNines
08-17-2017, 03:01 PM

I guess they could go that route, but it's not terribly exciting. And if Rey turns out to be some kind of super Jedi doing crazy Jedi stuff even beyond what Yoda could do, she didn't get that from Obi-Wan... he's just a pretty average Jedi.

Agreed. If anything, I'd find it more interesting if she was Qui-Gon's granddaughter.

But the fact that both Alec Guinness and Evan McGreggor had clearly audible lines during her force vision has to mean something.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 03:12 PM
But the fact that both Alec Guinness and Evan McGreggor had clearly audible lines during her force vision has to mean something.

Probably. Though Yoda's voice was in there, too.

ToTheNines
08-17-2017, 03:16 PM
That was so Easter eggy though. Never caught it until the internet told me. And like I said, they used both versions of Obi-Wan. We'll see.

sdp
08-17-2017, 09:15 PM
There are so many possibilities to make this an original film, a Western of a lonely Obi-Wan or even a Clone Wars era adventure since Ewan could still pull it off. Both of these are popular opinions of what the movie should be...

..but who am I kidding, it'll be an empire is attacking Tattooine leading up to ANH.

So...

EpVII
Rogue One
Ep VIII
Han Solo
EP IX
Obi Wan
?????

Will we get Episode X or another spin off after Obi Wan? No way Disney is letting the franchise rest after Ep IX and the Obi Wan spin-off but I don't know if it would be Ep X or just more spin offs.

Also will we continue to get a new movie every 6 months or yearly? Han Solo is less than 6 months after VIII but maybe May will become the yearly SW spot instead of December or will they continue to try to make more than one SW film per year?

CyberCubed
08-17-2017, 09:18 PM
There were rumors of a Yoda and Boba Fett film around the same time this Obi-wan rumor started, so those are probably in the pipeline eventually.

Xav
08-17-2017, 10:09 PM
And if Rey turns out to be some kind of super Jedi doing crazy Jedi stuff even beyond what Yoda could do, she didn't get that from Obi-Wan... he's just a pretty average Jedi.He took down multiple Sith, how many other Jedi can say that?

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 10:20 PM
There were rumors of a Yoda and Boba Fett film around the same time this Obi-wan rumor started, so those are probably in the pipeline eventually.

The Boba Fett film is pretty freaking far from a rumor. It was in full-on production with Josh Trank before he was snitched out because of his behavior on F4.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 10:25 PM
He took down multiple Sith, how many other Jedi can say that?

Did he kill any Sith in the cartoons? I have no idea. By my count he only took down one... and that was after Qui-Gonn softened him up. He didn't finish the job on Anakin and lost when they met up again.

DestronMirage22
08-17-2017, 10:33 PM
I'd be down for a Ewan Mcgregor Obi-Wan movie. I think a new film featuring a familiar and decently developed character is better than those other new ones with the horrible characters.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 10:50 PM
I wonder what an Obi-Wan movie will be like with lots of Empire, Walkers, X-Wings, and TIE-Fighters and Vader. Because that's probably what we'll get with Kennedy and Disney.

TigerClaw
08-17-2017, 11:00 PM
I wonder what an Obi-Wan movie will be like with lots of Empire, Walkers, X-Wings, and TIE-Fighters and Vader. Because that's probably what we'll get with Kennedy and Disney.
I bet it'll even have a Luke Skywalker cameo somewhere, all they need to do is use the same technology they had to bring back Tarkin and Leia, but do it with Luke by making him look younger.

Andrew NDB
08-17-2017, 11:06 PM
I bet it'll even have a Luke Skywalker cameo somewhere, all they need to do is use the same technology they had to bring back Tarkin and Leia, but do it with Luke by making him look younger.

There's no need for any of that if Luke is like 10 in this. Just cast a 10 year-old Luke.

But yeah, I'm sure we'll see Luke.

newfan
08-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Did he kill any Sith in the cartoons? I have no idea. By my count he only took down one... and that was after Qui-Gonn softened him up. He didn't finish the job on Anakin and lost when they met up again.

I thought Obi-Wan let Darth Vader kill him in Ep 4, it looked that way to me anyway.

newfan
08-18-2017, 01:55 AM

Maybe she has a newly created, interesting origin seen as obviously she didn't come from Yoda and I doubt they'd have her come from Palpatine :)

Anyway, this post and the following discussion on Obi-Wan got me thinking of the most powerful Jedi's/Siths, also questioning the Skywalker's power. I don't want to risk steering the conversation from the thread so is anyone interested in talking about it separately or does it seem like a weak thread? or already been done?

Andrew NDB
08-18-2017, 11:48 AM
"Governor Kennedy, I've just been informed that Director Daldry has completed 95% of the filming."

"You may fire when ready."

Xav
08-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Did he kill any Sith in the cartoons? I have no idea. By my count he only took down one... and that was after Qui-Gonn softened him up. He didn't finish the job on Anakin and lost when they met up again.He straight up killed Maul in the rematch. He also killed Jedi hunter General Grievous. The very fact that he beat the chosen one Anakin says something. Even when he fought Vader again he let him kill him to encourage Luke. So he definitely was one of the more accomplished Jedi.

CyberCubed
08-22-2017, 12:14 AM
I bet they're kicking themselves for having Obi-wan kill Darth Maul in the cartoons instead of saving that for a movie. You know good and well the movie would be hyped if they advertised it as the long awaited rematch between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul.

Andrew NDB
08-22-2017, 12:45 AM
I bet they're kicking themselves for having Obi-wan kill Darth Maul in the cartoons instead of saving that for a movie.

I think you're dead on with that. But they know if they kick the "we've got a firm grip on continuity in even the books/comics/cartoons" now, they would be shooting their credibility in the foot.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-22-2017, 12:48 AM
HAS to be Ewan Mcgregor, or not interested.

NinjaPug
08-22-2017, 06:49 AM
I bet they're kicking themselves for having Obi-wan kill Darth Maul in the cartoons instead of saving that for a movie. You know good and well the movie would be hyped if they advertised it as the long awaited rematch between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul.

I'm not sure they would want to do a movie with Maul knowing that the majority of the audience would have no clue how/when/why he was resurrected.

CyberCubed
08-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Well it couldn't have been too hard to give a brief flashback or backstory. In fact for all we know the movie could still adapt stories from the cartoons or comics and just flesh them out more.

Andrew NDB
08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure they would want to do a movie with Maul knowing that the majority of the audience would have no clue how/when/why he was resurrected.

A glimpse of robot legs at some point (maybe Obi-Wan gives one of them a glancing blow) would be explanation enough for viewers.

snake
08-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Flashback scene would be used to introduce Maul. It doesn't matter either way, because Maul is dead and they wouldn't "adapt" a story we already saw in Rebels.

sdp
08-22-2017, 12:02 PM
EP. VII didn't explain anything and people accepted the empire being back. That's no problem, just have a 10 second scene of Maul coming out and saying "after all these years and struggles I'll finally get revenge against the Jedi". Done. .

That way people who saw Rebels (thanks for spoiling S3 for me btw) and people who saw Episode I have their explanation. It was already ridiculous how they brought him back from Episode I so I doubt his new death can be any more definitive, the new EU is as silly as the old one.

Even if "everything is canon" now, you will not see much crossover with the movies because they know who their audiences are, scam the hardcore nerds with stories that are "canon" but don't reference them int he movies. If they were really honest about them we would've seen the Rebels cast in Rogue One. At this point the PT has more references to the EU than the NT.

I would :lol: if they cast someone new as Obi Wan.

snake
08-22-2017, 12:30 PM
We had Saw Guerrera and Chopper in RO. Yeah, I know Saw could've been any other character and Chopper was a cameo, but that's more than an EU character ever got.

Pablo said that the interconnectivity in the anthology movies is going to increase and that RO was a testing ground to see if the concept would appeal to casual audiences.

The only reason the rest of the rebels didn't appear is because they don't want to spoil their post season 4 fates. The Ghost was present.

sdp
08-22-2017, 12:49 PM
The Special Editions had a bunch of EU cameos, my favorite being the outrider which means no matter if Disney got rid of Shadows of the Empire, Dash Rendar is still canon.

Episode I had similar cameos and Ep.II and III featured EU characters really well. Many things are actual EU in the prequels including the name of Coruscant and it being the capital/all city world. As much as Lucas ignored what he didn't like, if he liked the ideas he incorporated them as hard canon.

I'll give you Saw Guerrera, but even he was an old EU character.

snake
08-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Seeing the Outrider does not make Dash Rendar canon. It just makes the ship model canon. It's not even the Outrider anymore. That's like saying Revan is canon because Malachor is.

Guerrera appeared in 2012. Hardly an old EU character.

Spike Spiegel
08-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Guerrera appeared in 2012. Hardly an old EU character.

The first episode of Clone Wars he appeared in aired a few weeks before the Disney sale was finalized...so that might count for something.

He was technically part of the old canon, especially when you consider the episode would have been written/produced months before that.