PDA

View Full Version : August 21st Eclipse!

Splinter the boss
08-18-2017, 07:50 PM
What are your plans for Monday? Excited?

Utrommaniac
08-18-2017, 10:35 PM
I'm going to a park with my boyfriend. With a charcuterie picnic.

Powder
08-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Absolutely nothing. Nope.

DarkFell
08-18-2017, 11:47 PM
I'll be at work. If we're lucky, we might see about 75% of the overall solar eclipse.

Utrommaniac
08-18-2017, 11:58 PM
I've seen that we'll be getting 90% where I'm at.

sdp
08-19-2017, 12:09 AM
I'm way too late to the party and now have no easy means to get eclipse glasses I feel comfortable are "real" without paying too much. ;(

I'll be in school during most of it anyway and it's been raining so most likely it'll be impossible to see.

snake
08-19-2017, 12:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing the moon cuck the sun.

Wildcat
08-19-2017, 12:18 AM
We'll I checked for my location and seems were only getting a partial eclipse.

Even if it was full is it really that amazing to see? From videos it doesn't look like it. Unless it's something that you have to see in person.

It gets dark, the sun looks more like a dot and it's not exactly safe to watch except when it's directly covered.

Some of the videos I saw had pretty big reactions but I don't know.

PApagreg
08-19-2017, 12:49 AM
Looking forward to seeing the moon cuck the sun.

Its not really cucking if its an open relationship based on time.

snake
08-19-2017, 02:54 AM
Its not really cucking if its an open relationship based on time.

That's what the sun tells itself to make it feel better.

Splinter the boss
08-19-2017, 07:01 AM
I think this is my first eclipse, my mom won't even buy me glasses even when I tell her they're approved by the ASA. Just gonna stream it online.

DestronMirage22
08-19-2017, 07:30 AM
I'll be at home, bumming it and trying my best to watch it.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-19-2017, 11:12 AM
There are other ways to watch it guys. You could make an eclipse box very easily with a few simple items. Google how to build one. I've seen an eclipse once before and it is so much better to see it in person in real life than to watch someone's video of it. Go outside and at least watch the sky go dark.

I will be at work for it but I normally work the cash window so I might be able to see some of it.

ToTheNines
08-19-2017, 11:17 AM
I'll be at work, outside, where we have no choice but to look up. I guess I'll just bring a welding mask or something.

Tetsu Deinonychus
08-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Got my eclipse-glasses (I checked. They're legit), and I'll be out there watching.

Cure
08-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Absolutely nothing. Nope.

Yeah, same. Don't care.

Prowler
08-19-2017, 02:37 PM
I've seen a few eclipses in my life already. They're all the same. Who cares.

Katie
08-19-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty excited. Making a short trip north to Nashville to experience totality. I bougt a ton of glasses from Rainbow Symphony back in January. I've been looking forward to this for years!

IndigoErth
08-19-2017, 03:45 PM
I'll be at work... with no windows on that floor. Maybe I step out for just a min, but chances are I'll prob end up forgetting entirely amid all the nonsense of my job.

ProphetofGanja
08-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Y'all some jaded motherfvckers

BubblyShell22
08-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Mom and I are going to build a projection box and watch it outside. Last eclipse I saw was in fourth grade so I think this will be cool. We aren't taking Dad out because I could see him looking up at it even when we tell him not to. He's stubborn like that and the last thing we need is for him to suffer eye damage.

Refractive Reflections
08-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Good thing we have The Atlantic magazine, to point out the solar eclipse's racist trajectory by Alice Ristroph (https://www.brooklaw.edu/faculty/directory/facultymember/biography?id=alice.ristroph) (a Brooklyn Law School Professor):

On August 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse will arrive mid-morning on the coast of Oregon. The moon’s shadow will be about 70 miles wide, and it will race across the country faster than the speed of sound, exiting the eastern seaboard shortly before 3 p.m. local time. It has been dubbed the Great American Eclipse, and along most of its path, there live almost no black people.

Presumably, this is not explained by the implicit bias of the solar system. It is a matter of population density, and more specifically geographic variations in population density by race, for which the sun and the moon cannot be held responsible. Still, an eclipse chaser is always tempted to believe that the skies are relaying a message.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/american-totality-eclipse-race/537318/

BubblyShell22
08-21-2017, 07:33 AM
WTF does race have to do with an eclipse? Some people are just f*cked up with their thinking.

Jester
08-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Good thing we have The Atlantic magazine, to point out the solar eclipse's racist trajectory by Alice Ristroph (https://www.brooklaw.edu/faculty/directory/facultymember/biography?id=alice.ristroph) (a Brooklyn Law School Professor):

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/08/american-totality-eclipse-race/537318/
wKjxFJfcrcA

2 things:

1. My son's school piped Total Eclipse of the Heart over the speakers as kids walked in today. I wonder how many radio stations nationwide will think they're clever by playing it today.

2. Are people and animals so dumb that they will look directly at the sun? Mostly pets. I saw an image telling pet parents to keep their fur babies indoors to keep them from going blind....but I honestly don't think my pooch is dumb enough to stare directly at the sun, no mater how much of the moon obscures it.

The Deadman
08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream
https://www.twitch.tv/nasa

plastroncafe
08-21-2017, 09:54 AM
I'll probably duck out of my office periodically through out the day sporting my free swag from blerDCon eclipse glasses.

GoldMutant
08-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Keep the political stuff out of this. Doesn't a solar eclipse's location change more often not?

I'll probably stream it just to protect my eyes. I've never seen a solar eclipse before.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
08-21-2017, 11:09 AM
I recall a lot of people in Thailand or somthing becoming blind when watching a Solar eclipse.

Here are 20 people becoming blind in the UK during a 1927 Solar eclipse

https://www.wired.com/1999/08/the-greatest-show-from-earth/

TurtleWA
08-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Big eclipse festival in Oregon. Link to some photos of the setup.
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/the-time-is-here-live-updates-as-the-solar-eclipse-crosses-the-northwest-seattle/

Andrew NDB
08-21-2017, 11:55 AM
People are going loony about this. I hear it will be available on Youtube in 1080p later.

sdp
08-21-2017, 12:21 PM
I can only understand the apathy if you're not going to have a total eclipse but if you are int he narrow path where you can see totality and you prefer to see it over video then I don't know what to tell you, I guess you don't need to visit any country or monument and just look at pictures.

If it isn't a total eclipse then yeah you'll have plenty chances of catching partial eclipses over your life. They're still cool but maybe not worth all the hysteria being made for it, especially the further away you are from it like me, it'll mostly be like the sun with a small bite.

Andrew NDB
08-21-2017, 12:26 PM
I walked out of the office and looked up at it with sunglasses through the leaves of a nearby tree a bit. Didn't look like much of anything. Got slightly dark for a few minutes.

Vicky82
08-21-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm watching this on Twitter.

TurtleWA
08-21-2017, 12:37 PM
I was expecting more. No big black out or amazing spectacle in the sky. The sun basically looked the same the entire time. It was just the surrounding environment was dimmed. Like if you had a lamp on with no ceiling light. I took my clothes off and covered myself in mud for nothing I suppose.

RaphaelinSTL
08-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Pretty wild how dark it got!

CyberCubed
08-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Went outside at 2:40 since they said 2:42 EST is when the sun would be the most covered. Saw nothing, it was still bright outside, no shadows, no nothing. Went back inside and started Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Fun times.

Jester
08-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Went outside at 2:40 since they said 2:42 EST is when the sun would be the most covered. Saw nothing, it was still bright outside, no shadows, no nothing. Went back inside and started Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Fun times.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/nasa_eclipse_map.jpg

IndigoErth
08-21-2017, 04:28 PM
We were in the only 75% range, so not dark at all, but just felt a bit oddly lit for early-ish afternoon.

Didn't think I'd be able to check it out since I'd be at work, but brother-in-law lent me goggles he has for welding or whatnot, so I tossed those in the car just in case and at 2:50 just went to visit the car for a min. to check it out.

BubblyShell22
08-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Mom and I went outside to watch it. She made a projection box for herself and made the pinhole in a paper plate with another paper plate for me to look at it. Only got a partial one here and at times the clouds obscured it, but it was still cool to see. Saw the total one on TV and it was neat.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-21-2017, 05:33 PM
We were around 75-80% here, It dimmed a bit, but never got very dark. Tried to see it but the drive through awning was in the way most of the day. Finally went outside for a minute to see if I could see it through my phone(didn't really show anything) and there was a guy outside with a pair of viewing glasses watching it. He let me use them, so at least I got to see it for a few second before I had to run back in! It was pretty cool even though it wasn't total here. Just a tiny sliver at 1:12 when I went outside.

DestronMirage22
08-21-2017, 09:30 PM
It was fun. I took my mom out for burgers and we ate lunch while watching it.
I'm glad I was able to see something so special. :)

MsMarvelDuckie
08-21-2017, 09:54 PM
This eclipse has gained a deeper meaning for me in spite of only getting to see it for a few seconds during work hours. It struck me that it was a very visible mirror to my current situation in terms of life stages. As the sun goes from light to dark and back again, I was reminded that a woman goes through a similar journey from maiden(youth) to mother(sometimes literal), to crone(age and wisdom) before finally returning to the earth and beginning anew(rebirth). I think I've learned something from it, which makes it much more special than just a minor event in the sky.

Utrommaniac
08-21-2017, 10:05 PM
I spent most of my day feeling pretty pitiful...not helped by the fact that I had to see the eclipse through a cereal box. And even with a supposed 90% coverage, it didn't get all that dark at its peak...

Roseangelo
08-21-2017, 10:07 PM
I live where the summers are always foggy. Today was no different. But I still saw the eclipse...

http://i65.tinypic.com/11r9cwm.jpg

Wildcat
08-21-2017, 11:37 PM
My area was only gonna have a partial eclipse so I didn't even bother checking. Never got dark.

I was thinking back when there was no scientists people probably thought the world was about to end when they first saw an eclipse.

It must have been scary for the sun to suddenly turn black. That's what it would have seemed like. Then a couple minutes later everyone is left wondering what just happened. Was it aliens? Is there something wrong with the sun?

Katie
08-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Stryker and I were in Nashville for totality. It was absolutely breathtaking. You could see the shadow coming. We took my 8 year old niece and Stryker's kid brother. All around amazing day.

I couldn't believe how dark it got. The eclipsed sun was easily one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life. It was absolutely worth the traffic jams and 3 hour drive to go see it!

Splinter the boss
08-22-2017, 07:33 AM
My area got 90% coverage and the sunlight got dimmed a bit, but since there were clouds in the sky, it was almost unnoticeable. Got to stream totality in 7 or 8 states, it was magnificent. I can't imagine what the real feeling was.

DarkFell
08-22-2017, 10:31 PM
We got to see a partial eclipse at work. It was still pretty cool nonetheless.

BubblyShell22
08-23-2017, 05:50 PM
My aunt, uncle, and grandma saw it in Tennessee where they are visiting my other aunt and they said it was amazing.

I just liked how something so cool could bring everyone together for one day to just enjoy a natural phenomenon. Makes me wish there was an eclipse more often.

Katie
08-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Well, there's another one in 7 years, so get ready!

After that you have to wait until 2045.

Splinter the boss
08-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Makes me wish there was an eclipse more often.
Then it would become the norm and people would be way less excited.

ProphetofGanja
08-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Well, there's another one in 7 years, so get ready!

After that you have to wait until 2045.

I'm mos def traveling to somewhere that's getting totality for the 2024 eclipse

Katie
08-23-2017, 10:44 PM
Sooooooooooo worth it. I'm gonna try to go to Dallas or Little Rock

BubblyShell22
08-24-2017, 07:31 AM
I know there's one in seven years and Mom read that Indianapolis is going to be in the path of totality. I told her we should go down there then and see it.

Lisardo
08-31-2017, 10:43 AM
I saw it for a few minutes at work. We all went outside and one gal had the special eclipse glasses and we took turns using it. It only got mildly darker outside and the eclipse did gradually move position. I heard that Oregon was more in the path of the eclipse so that was the place to be in the Pacific Northwest to watch it, and I heard people because of this were like camping out over there to watch it.