PDA

View Full Version : "The Joker" DCEU movie NOT starring Jared Leto

Andrew NDB
08-22-2017, 04:43 PM
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/joker-origin-story-in-the-works-at-warner-bros-suicide-squads-jared-leto-will-not-reprise-the-role-a153415

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lSLto3wzWuN9Be/giphy.gif

TurtleTitan97
08-22-2017, 04:50 PM
They're planning on making a Joker movie? And it's an origin film???

Good grief. :roll:

snake
08-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Why though?

NinjaPug
08-22-2017, 04:58 PM
So WB is creating a new DC label for new DC movies set outside the current DCEU? We'll be getting two versions or characters (with different actors) on the screen at the same time? What could go wrong?

Autbot_Benz
08-22-2017, 04:59 PM
so is this gonna be Killing Joke the live action movie or what? Wow Martin Scorse is going to be producer on this.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Not true.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Leto doesn't return (except maybe due to contractual obligations)...

But http://batman-news.com/ isn't carrying this news story so... in the immortal words of Senator Vreenak...

https://angrytechnician.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/its-a-fake.jpg?w=479&h=232

Autbot_Benz
08-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Variety broke the story they are pretty credible. Batman-News is just slow.

NinjaPug
08-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Yeah every Hollywood trade is reporting this. It's legit.

plastroncafe
08-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Guess people finally got fed up with his method-acting shenanigans.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Yeah every Hollywood trade is reporting this. It's legit.

Variety broke the story they are pretty credible. Batman-News is just slow.

You're all right; Batman-News has the story now!

Well, I still don't think this film will actually get made, given WB's astounding DC track record of late. :tlol:

But shoot... my bad, guys. :tsmile:

Powder
08-22-2017, 05:33 PM
This is dumb.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 05:39 PM
I just think it's really sad that Marvel could announce "We're making a Howard the Duck / Squirrel Girl / Hit Monkey movie in 2025" and I'm absolutely believe it...

But WB/DC could tell me "We're making both Batman & Robin and Man of Steel 2: Supergirl in 2020", and I'd probably herniate myself laughing in scornful disbelief.

MikeandRaph87
08-22-2017, 05:41 PM
So WB is creating a new DC label for new DC movies set outside the current DCEU? We'll be getting two versions or characters (with different actors) on the screen at the same time? What could go wrong?

What ever happened to that embargo concept that prevented Batman villains from appearing in Justice League as well as forcing Wonder Woman in Aquaman's place in To Another Shore? Not to mention so many examples going back to the Super Friends?

Jester
08-22-2017, 05:46 PM
So the company that "Bat-embargoed" Batman characters from the Justice League series because it'd confuse people watching it and The Batman are gonna have 2 dueling cinematic universes? Sure...that makes sense.

Dang...I need to read all of a thread....RAPHANDMIKEY87 GET OUTTA MY HEAD!

MikeandRaph87
08-22-2017, 06:09 PM
So the company that "Bat-embargoed" Batman characters from the Justice League series because it'd confuse people watching it and The Batman are gonna have 2 dueling cinematic universes? Sure...that makes sense.

Dang...I need to read all of a thread....RAPHANDMIKEY87 GET OUTTA MY HEAD!

My Bizarro Image loving self would love to.:trazz:

Here is a good question, how many of the several Joker and Harley Quinn related projects will actually happen? Aside from maybe Gotham Sirens I do not see this clownish oversaturation happening. DC or is it Warner Bros. does not know when to stop and likely have been sharing the same LSD bag with Sony.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 06:19 PM
My Bizarro Image loving self would love to.:trazz:

Here is a good question, how many of the several Joker and Harley Quinn related projects will actually happen? Aside from maybe Gotham Sirens I do not see this clownish oversaturation happening. DC or is it Warner Bros. does not know when to stop and likely have been sharing the same LSD bag with Sony.

The only movies I believe are happening are Justice League, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman 2.

This is not the way to run a cinematic universe.

MikeandRaph87
08-22-2017, 06:25 PM
The only movies I believe are happening are Justice League, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman 2.

This is not the way to run a cinematic universe.

The Batman and Flash seem to be at least at some point in preproduction and determined to get out. The others, I agree. I don't really care about the properties enough aside from where this The Batman project ends up, if only to give a cinematic debut to another Bat Rogue. Aquaman, even if he is a dark haired pirate, I want to see what can be done with him on screen, Aquaman is poster hero of the underrated heroes in all of fiction and utilizing his only two villains at the same time seem to show the production team is going all out.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 06:34 PM
The Batman and Flash seem to be at least at some point in preproduction and determined to get out. The others, I agree. I don't really care about the properties enough aside from where this The Batman project ends up, if only to give a cinematic debut to another Bat Rogue. Aquaman, even if he is a dark haired pirate, I want to see what can be done with him on screen, Aquaman is poster hero of the underrated heroes in all of fiction and utilizing his only two villains at the same time seem to show the production team is going all out.

Yeah, some shape or form of The Batman will eventually happen, because nothing puts butts in seats more reliably than the ol' Dark Knight. But it may not be in this DCEU.

The Flash... that's had a more troubled production than a cursed play in a Scooby Doo cartoon. :tlol: Not happening unless Ezra Miller WOWS audiences this November. But if he's just okay--or meh--then consider it the final nail in the coffin.

MikeandRaph87
08-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Yeah, some shape or form of The Batman will eventually happen, because nothing puts butts in seats more reliably than the ol' Dark Knight. But it may not be in this DCEU.

The Flash... that's had a more troubled production than a cursed play in a Scooby Doo cartoon. :tlol: Not happening unless Ezra Miller WOWS audiences this November. But if he's just okay--or meh--then consider it the final nail in the coffin.

The Flash T.V. show popularity may play into it as well. What will the ratings be a year from now and is it a long-term success of quality story that has made fans for Barry Allen? I honestly do not know as I only watched two season one episodes for Grodd and Captain Cold/Heatwave. It's Wally that had the fun and humor qualities. Seeing Ezra as a comedic relief character strikes me as odd as Barry is supposed to a straight laced guy who has string of bad luck yet one others can look to to trust or idolize such as Wally. Ezra comes off in the little we have seen as a nerdy Wally West.

Ninjinister
08-22-2017, 06:59 PM
I feel like Scorsese directing is a hell of a lot more noteworthy than Leto not being in it.

Not true.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jared Leto doesn't return (except maybe due to contractual obligations)...

But http://batman-news.com/ isn't carrying this news story so... in the immortal words of Senator Vreenak...

https://angrytechnician.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/its-a-fake.jpg?w=479&h=232

Really? That is your meter of authenticity?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 07:01 PM
I feel like Scorsese directing is a hell of a lot more noteworthy than Leto not being in it.

Really? That is your meter of authenticity?

Yep. They don't carry fake stories, and the article Andrew posted came from comicbookmovie.com... I should have checked their source. :tlol:

ProactiveMan
08-22-2017, 07:36 PM
WB need to sort out their external comms. I don't know how, but they have to plug the leaks and keep a tighter reign on outgoing communication. If Casey Affleck shoots his mouth of for example, someone has to break his thumbs.

They need to get to a point where they only announce things they can actually deliver on.

NinjaPug
08-22-2017, 07:49 PM

Scorsese isn't directing it.

Ninjinister
08-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Scorsese isn't directing it.

I misread then. My mistake!

GoldMutant
08-22-2017, 08:12 PM
What's the point of making a Joker movie without Leto? If that's the case, why bother casting him at all during Suicide Squad? I find it a bit ridiculous.

DestronMirage22
08-22-2017, 09:36 PM
I think my response in the Joker/Harley Quinn film thread applies here too:
It's adorable they think the DCCU will last long enough for this to be made. :lol::roll:

Ninjinister
08-22-2017, 11:37 PM
What's the point of making a Joker movie without Leto? If that's the case, why bother casting him at all during Suicide Squad? I find it a bit ridiculous.

Well it might make it watchable for one....

sdp
08-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Jerome Valeska seems like a good fit for the DCEU

The Deadman
09-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Is Leonardo DiCaprio Warner Bros.’ Top Choice for Joker Movie?
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/884499-is-leonardo-dicaprio-warner-bros-top-choice-for-joker-movie#H1PUcX7bTPyij47R.99

RaphaelinSTL
09-01-2017, 09:03 AM

This ^ Among other horrible things in Suicide Squad ... Leto was easily a standout piece of garbage in a rotting landfill.

The whole idea of pre-Joker Joker movie does just seem a little odd, even with some great people behind it.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Is Leonardo DiCaprio Warner Bros. Top Choice for Joker Movie?
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/884499-is-leonardo-dicaprio-warner-bros-top-choice-for-joker-movie#H1PUcX7bTPyij47R.99

I saw that. I hope they go with someone else, though... I want Leo for Riddler or Hush or somebody of that ilk. A more refined, calculating presence, not the psycho clown.

MikeandRaph87
09-01-2017, 09:12 AM
I saw that. I hope they go with someone else, though... I want Leo for Riddler or Hush or somebody of that ilk. A more refined, calculating presence, not the psycho clown.

DC needs to carefully plan and work behind the scenes until it is solid inside announcing a bunch of ideas out of their butt.

I like the idea of Leo as Hush. That actually would make a solid film over what Deathstroke could bring as the central antagonist.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-01-2017, 09:17 AM
DC needs to carefully plan and work behind the scenes until it is solid inside announcing a bunch of ideas out of their butt.

I like the idea of Leo as Hush. That actually would make a solid film over what Deathstroke could bring as the central antagonist.

Leo DiCaprio would be an amazing Tommy Elliott. Or Edward Nygma. Heck, he'd probably be a great Roman Sionis, too.

Andrew NDB
09-01-2017, 09:41 AM
And Jared Leto is unhappy about this, having his agent go to war about someone other than him playing the Joker:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/warner-bros-eyeing-leonardo-dicaprio-for-the-joker-origin-story-jared-leto-unhappy-with-studios-plans-a153586

Scorsese: Hey, I want to do a movie for youse guys. With the Joker. And my guy DiCaprio. I don't wanna use your guy, Leto, and I don't want it to be with those other movies of yours.

WB: Wow! No problem, we'll announce a new brand where this is OK!

Leto: Not so fast, ****ers. You got me playing the Joker for your DC shared universe. That makes me look sh***y. What am I, chopped liver?

WB: Er, um. Announcement: the Joker movie is now part of the shared universe!

Scorsese: I don't think so. We had a deal. I do this my way or I walk.

WB: Errr.... eh... the Joker movie is standalone again!

I expect something like that in the days ahead. Followed by the movie quietly dying at some point. No way this gets made.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-01-2017, 09:54 AM
And Jared Leto is unhappy about this, having his agent go to war about someone other than him playing the Joker:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/warner-bros-eyeing-leonardo-dicaprio-for-the-joker-origin-story-jared-leto-unhappy-with-studios-plans-a153586

Scorsese: Hey, I want to do a movie for youse guys. With the Joker. And my guy DiCaprio. I don't wanna use your guy, Leto, and I don't want it to be with those other movies of yours.

WB: Wow! No problem, we'll announce a new brand where this is OK!

Leto: Not so fast, ****ers. You got me playing the Joker for your DC shared universe. That makes me look sh***y. What am I, chopped liver?

WB: Er, um. Announcement: the Joker movie is now part of the shared universe!

Scorsese: I don't think so. We had a deal. I do this my way or I walk.

WB: Errr.... eh... the Joker movie is standalone again!

I expect something like that in the days ahead. Followed by the movie quietly dying at some point. No way this gets made.

Of course it will be made! Right after Man of Steel 2 and Green Lantern Corps... :trolleye:

Katie
09-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Didn't the DiCaprio thing's original story author admit that they made it up? I honestly don't know why people get so worked up over this sh!t. Its hyperbole put up for clicks.

sdp
09-01-2017, 09:31 PM
I would love to be a fly on the wall of WB, a documentary of their handling of DC movies even as far back as Superman Returns should all be fascinating.

GoldMutant
09-02-2017, 08:50 AM

That I can understand.

My point though is this: why remove Leto from this film if you cast him as the Joker in Suicide Squad? Better yet, why even cast him in the first place now? It doesn't make sense to me.

If Leo were to be Joker, I'd be interested in seeing what he does. Cy pointed this out though: I'd rather he be a different character. I love Leo as an actor, but it depends if they make it work. Origin wise though it seems like an odd move.

Coola Yagami
09-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Leto was a horrible Joker... I don't blame him though, I blame whoever came up with his look. I wouldn't want to waste money on an origin story of Leto NotJoker, but if they're doing an origin to a more faithful portrayal of the Joker, then hell yeah, I'm all aboard.

I could care less about the DCCU, it's all a mess anyways.

Vegita-San
09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
go home wb. you're drunk..

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/fan-art-heres-what-leonardo-dicaprio-could-look-like-as-the-joker-a153603
ledger, leto, and this guy? what are they doing to this poor character?

Spike Spiegel
09-03-2017, 08:01 AM
So are they open to an "Elseworlds" approach with some of these new movies or what?

Vegita-San
09-03-2017, 08:04 AM
they are just throwing darts at a dart board and seeing what sticks at this point.

myconius
09-03-2017, 02:31 PM
they are just throwing darts at a dart board and seeing what sticks at this point.

close! i was gonna say, WB throws poo at the wall and sees what sticks.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Since this is the same universe as Suicide Squad then it should be Leto, but if they want to do something outside the DCEU, then no problem.

This is one of my issues with an extended/cinematic universe; every movie that comes out has to fit into this established continuity, and if you have a creative idea that doesn't fit (Say, golden age superman, Victorian batman, etc.) you're sore out of luck. I think there should be extended universe films connected to justice league, but independent 'elseworlds' films should be permitted, as well.

Sumac
09-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Since this is the same universe as Suicide Squad then it should be Leto, but if they want to do something outside the DCEU, then no problem.

This is one of my issues with an extended/cinematic universe; every movie that comes out has to fit into this established continuity, and if you have a creative idea that doesn't fit (Say, golden age superman, Victorian batman, etc.) you're sore out of luck. I think there should be extended universe films connected to justice league, but independent 'elseworlds' films should be permitted, as well.
The problem is Warners barely can manage DCCU as is, even though it has only 4 movies at the moment. I am not sure, if I can trust them to properly manage both DCCU and "elsewords" at the same time.

myconius
09-03-2017, 04:56 PM
i wonder if this multiple live action versions of the Joker would lead WB to do like DC does with the Batman comics?
having like 4 or 5 different Batman titles on the market all with different writers/directors, and none really lining up in a very cohesive continuity, unless they can market it into a cross-over event.

i can see it now.

3 or 4 different live action Batman movie series all with different actors portraying Batman/Bruce Wayne. i mean they already do that with their animated versions of Batman. don't they have simultaneous dvd releases of Batman voiced by Adam West (RIP), Kevin Conroy, Jason O'Mara, and Roger Craig Smith.
i'm probably even missing one or two.

sad thing is, it'd probably actually sell tickets.

ProphetofGanja
09-03-2017, 08:21 PM
I would totally watch an animated direct-to-DVD movie or read a comic series about all the different live-action Batmans meeting up and having to team-up, clash of the multiverse-style

Andrew NDB
09-04-2017, 02:27 AM
I would totally watch an animated direct-to-DVD movie or read a comic series about all the different live-action Batmans meeting up and having to team-up, clash of the multiverse-style

Everyone else: wow, what a toxic weird comic universe/multiverse thing they got going there. Best just avoid it entirely.

myconius
09-04-2017, 02:34 AM
i'd like to see them actually slinging poo at the wall, pitching for ideas.

....bet they do really that too!
it'd explain a LOT!