PDA

View Full Version : What is the one incarnation of the tmnt you could never get into?

FredWolfLeonardo
08-30-2017, 02:02 PM
As a part of being a tmnt fan, alot of us have come to appreciate alot of differentt versions over the years.

However, is there any one particular version you were never motivated to check out at all or if you did, not get into it one bit?

For me, that version is the IDW comics. Now dont get me wrong, I didn't get into it not because of quality reasons (the comics look pretty well made to me), but because Im not much into comic books in the first place.

Whereas I find Archie interesting because its related to the Original Cartoon and Mirage because its the Original tmnt, I cant motivate myself to get into IDW at all. If those comics were a tv show or a movie in the future I probably would check em out and probably even like/love them but for now, Im not a tmnt IDW fan.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Archie.

Never got into it as a kid, even less desire now as an adult.

plastroncafe
08-30-2017, 02:11 PM
For me it as The Next Mutation.
It's of a style that's never worked for me, and it came out at a time when I had even less interest in that sort of thing than I do now.

CyberCubed
08-30-2017, 02:16 PM
I've watched/read everything, so no. Even saw all of Next Mutation when it originally aired.

I guess the only thing I haven't read is the UK TMNT comics based on the original cartoon, but those have never been made available here so I can't read them.

Wesley
08-30-2017, 02:19 PM
I've never had an interest in reading the comics, but aside from them, I was never able to get into the 2012 tv series. Thought it suffered from an identity crisis, as it couldn't strike the right balance between being lighthearted and serious. Didn't care much for the 1990 movie either when I first watched it as an adult, though I liked the 2007 film.

CyberCubed
08-30-2017, 02:21 PM
For those who can't get comics in their country, I'm pretty sure you can buy them digitally nowadays. You don't even have to buy physical comics anymore in the modern year of 2017.

mrmaczaps
08-30-2017, 02:26 PM
The Archie comics... I own the 3 issue mini series but I couldn't see spending the cash to find great copies of the 72 issue run... I hear its kind of political... hahaha

And I wish I had never seen either new movies... the nightmares just never end... :lol:

newfan
08-30-2017, 02:36 PM
A bit premature for me to give and answer as I'm still exploring but I did catch a glance of Next Mutation and I'm confident I wouldn't get into that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-30-2017, 02:37 PM
And I wish I had never seen either new movies... the nightmares just never end... :lol:

That's not even an incarnation. More like an abomination. :trazz:

Utrommaniac
08-30-2017, 02:41 PM
I think I tried for the Archie comics, but got bored.

Anything theatrical doesn't really grip me - least of all the 2007 movie.

Not because of an "Utroms or gtfo" thing (though it doesn't help), but because they seem bottom of the barrel riding on Turtlemania™...no matter how good the 1990 movie apparently is. Though, the only thing the PD movies have done for me is design ideas. Krang's was the only thing I liked about the entire abomination.

AND LAST MUTATION...

neatoman
08-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Gee, let's see here.

The FW cartoon is just awful in a boring kind of way.
The Archie stuff is just a sloppy but somewhat better version of the FW cartoon.
The second and third movies are kinda trashy.
Next Mutation isn't something I've bothered to check out in full.
I haven't read the Image series because of lack of availability, the same goes for the Dreamwave comic.
The first PD movie is generically bad and the second one legitimately pissed me off.
The Nick comics are just kind of pointless additions to the Nick continuity.

It's not like all of these are irredeemable or anything, just that I've never really been into any of them.

Then there's the Nickelodeon cartoon which is a bit of a mixed bag, I started out generally positive and to be fair it does have decent episodes throughout. However, it got so damn tiresome so early on and kept being so damn awkward, I just wish the last three episodes would get dumped on DVD within the next few weeks like the rest of them so I can just finish it and put it behind me already.

Powder
08-30-2017, 03:17 PM
I've watched/read everything, so no. Even saw all of Next Mutation when it originally aired.

I guess the only thing I haven't read is the UK TMNT comics based on the original cartoon, but those have never been made available here so I can't read them.

Pretty much this.

That said, the only universe I really take any issue with is the Platinum Dunes one, but I'm not gonna beat that dead horse. I revisit all iterations pretty frequently, but I won't say that same of that one.

Additionally, Mirage Vol. 4. It's decent but not really my cup of tea. I don't casually re-read those issues as I do most others. No hate, just find it a bit of a boring chore at times, to be honest. The Tales Vol. 2 stories that take place during that same time period are pretty good, though.

Andrew NDB
08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
However, is there any one particular version you were never motivated to check out at all or if you did, not get into it one bit?

Probably the "Half Shell Heroes" stuff, or anything showcasing the TMNT when they were little in any kind of an exaggerated cutesy fashion.

It's creepy, it's weird and it seems like just about one shade way from being pedophilic. It's weird that they love making that stuff and it's weird that grown adults want to see it.

Papenbrook
08-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Probably the "Half Shell Heroes" stuff, or anything showcasing the TMNT when they were little in any kind of an exaggerated cutesy fashion.

It's creepy, it's weird and it seems like just about one shade way from being pedophilic. It's weird that they love making that stuff and it's weird that grown adults want to see it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2d/e1/7b/2de17bb0e346f67c0fcf6c6b40387b5f.png

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not invested with the Nick cartoon anymore, and every other TMNT incarnation doesn't interest me.

Personally, I am more interested in the characters than the franchise itself.

IndigoErth
08-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Comics... Only because I didn't grow up a comic reader and was never really a thing I've done much of in general.

That said, I've still enjoyed some of what I've come across online now and then and I've considered getting collect volumes someday, so at the very least when I have the interest in doing so and can better afford it, it at least still gives me something to look forward to when TMNT is in a lull. :twink:

Had I been paying attention to the franchise at the time, Next Mutation would probably be on that list. However it was just a guilty pleasure semi-binge watch a couple/few years ago when I found it available on demand.

Wait, but it's no longer weird if they're teenagers that adults are watching? :P

I dunno, to each their own. I just find it on the adorable side. Don't really see how it would be almost pedo unless someone is not only attracted to the Turtles, but to every version. o.O Which I hope isn't the case with most normal people and just see the Turtles in that stuff as cute kids (Nick included unless a fan themselves is currently around that age), and no more attracted to it than someone would, say, be attracted to their spouse's childhood photos. Definitely a separation there that I hope most recognize.

TurtleWA
08-30-2017, 04:48 PM
I give most official TMNT a chance. I've never been motivated to explore any non official stuff such as bootleg toys, comics or graphic novels. There is so much authentic stuff I don't like to waste my time on other things. But who knows what the future holds I could change my mind.

MikeandRaph87
08-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Image. It has the black and white print and all red mask that Mirage had. Also, Shredder and Rat King are dead. No familiar reoccurring characters aside from April. It had all the Mirage qualities that made it boring to an other media fan. Not only that it was something that is so dark and depressing. It was willing to maime the Turtles and willing to kill one off too. Nothing familiar, only turn offs. Nothing about the Turtles I love is present. I may be older now and prefer more mature taste, but nothing like Image.

I spit venom on The Next Mutation as well especially the female Turtle concept, but I was initially taken to it during its run thinking it needed a second season to introduce old characters. I thought it could change direction from its campy tone and may be bring Shredder in full-time, but it did not get a chance. A year after cancellation I was over the hope of something silly and mediocre could be something interesting to me. I looked down upon it like I do Image be living the two contributed to the 4 plus year of a dark era and pretend neither exist.

BubblyShell22
08-30-2017, 06:12 PM
The PD movies and Next Mutation hold no interest for me.

Powder
08-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Image. It has the black and white print and all red mask that Mirage had.

This whole post is just patently wrong, & goes to show that most people who dislike Image, didn't actually f**king read it. Roast time.

Shredder and Rat King are dead.
Shredder was dead long before volume 3, but there are TWO Shredder's in volume 3. Rat King was also dead long before volume 3, & it's not as if he was a major player in the first place, so I don't see why his absence would be so glaring an omission for you.

No familiar reoccurring characters aside from April
Splinter, Casey, Shadow, The Foot, Shredder, Leatherhead, Utroms, Triceratons, they all say hi.

It had all the Mirage qualities that made it boring to an other media fan.
I didn't realize high stakes, heavy action/violence, new foes, crossovers, astral projection, warring factions, mysteries from the past & thensome were so boring. Guess those "other fans" are absolute dullards. Or is it that these folks can't enjoy a series which lacks slapstick, puns, & bumbling henchman, aspects added only to make it palatable to children with attention deficit issues?

Not only that it was something that is so dark and depressing.
Not any more than past Mirage material, which it's in-keeping with tonally/continuity wise. It's not without it's share of humor or light-heartedness, though. Take Michelangelo becoming a love-novel writing babysitter, for example. Lots of sweet moments with him & Shadow.

It was willing to maime the Turtles and willing to kill one off too.
In one of the earliest Mirage issues Raphael tried to bash Mike's skull in with a wrench. They were regularly cut/stabbed/burned/shot at/dropped from heights/etc. over the course of their ~30 year comic run. In time they would all get screwed physically one way or another (Donnie blinded by Shadow, Raph lost an eye, Mike likely killed himself, etc.). Archie's Raph lost an eye, SAINW in 4kids did them ALL dirty. IDW "killed" Donatello too, don't forget. It's by no means new, nor was anything Image did intended to be permanent.

Nothing familiar, only turn offs.
Except for the fact it's a direct continuation of all that came before it, features the same cast of characters, virtually unchanged. Sure thing.

Nothing about the Turtles I love is present.
Nor was there in Mirage, then. Cowabunga.

I may be older now and prefer more mature taste, but nothing like Image.

I question that. & you seem to like the IDW series just fine even though they did the exact same thing to Don that Image did, regularly feature beheadings, Shredder is dead, etc. Cool. I guess it gets a pass for going balls-deep into the action figure rogues gallery & Fred Wolf fanboy wish fulfillment.

Don't get me wrong, you're more than entitled to your opinion, to dislike it, but come correct, son.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-30-2017, 06:28 PM
This whole post is just patently wrong, & goes to show that most people who dislike Image, didn't actually f**king read it. Roast time.

Shredder was dead long before volume 3, but there are TWO Shredder's in volume 3. Rat King was also dead long before volume 3, & it's not as if he was a major player in the first place, so I don't see why his absence would be so glaring an omission for you.

Splinter, Casey, Shadow, The Foot, Shredder, Leatherhead, Utroms, Triceratons, they all say hi.

I didn't realize high stakes, heavy action/violence, new foes, crossovers, astral projection, warring factions, mysteries from the past & thensome were so boring. Guess those "other fans" are absolute dullards. Or is it that these folks can't enjoy a series which lacks slapstick, puns, & bumbling henchman, aspects added only to make it palatable to children with attention deficit issues?

Not any more than past Mirage material, which it's in-keeping with tonally/continuity wise. It's not without it's share of humor or light-heartedness, though. Take Michelangelo becoming a love-novel writing babysitter, for example. Lots of sweet moments with him & Shadow.

In one of the earliest Mirage issues Raphael tried to bash Mike's skull in with a wrench. They were regularly cut/stabbed/burned/shot at/dropped from heights/etc. over the course of their ~30 year comic run. In time they would all get screwed physically one way or another (Donnie blinded by Shadow, Raph lost an eye, Mike likely killed himself, etc.). Archie's Raph lost an eye, SAINW in 4kids did them ALL dirty. IDW "killed" Donatello too, don't forget. It's by no means new, nor was anything Image did intended to be permanent.

Except for the fact it's a direct continuation of all that came before it, features the same cast of characters, virtually unchanged. Sure thing.

Nor was there in Mirage, then. Cowabunga.

I question that. & you seem to like the IDW series just fine even though they did the exact same thing to Don that Image did, regularly feature beheadings, Shredder is dead, etc. Cool. I guess it gets a pass for going balls-deep into the action figure rogues gallery & Fred Wolf fanboy wish fulfillment.

Don't get me wrong, you're more than entitled to your opinion, to dislike it, but come correct, son.

Thank you, Powder. I thought of replying to this myself, but you did it far better than I could've.

Preach.

ToTheNines
08-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Thank you, Powder. I thought of replying to this myself, but you did it far better than I could've.

Preach.

Yes, same. I started but didn't have the energy to refute someone who clearly hasn't even read it. I too had a bad perception of Vol. 3 way back when, only bought it for completions sake. Had no choice but to love it.

Thanks, P.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-30-2017, 07:00 PM
For me, it's bits and pieces of different versions I couldn't get into. The first Platinum Dunes movie; this was the opposite of EVERYTHING the TMNT should be. I did kind of like the second one... sort of. :ohwell: I didn't care for Fast forward, but like most of the rest of the 4kids series.

And with Mirage, there's only certain story arcs I can get into. I love issue one, Baxter and the mousers, the turtles in space arc, Return to New York, the River, City at War, the first image arc with the dragon lord, Sons of the silent age, I monster, the Renet/Savante Romero stories, Gang wars, and the Usagi and Moo Mesa crossovers. The rest of Mirage I just can't get into, really. Heck, the only mirage writers and artists I really like are Kevin Eastman, Tristan Jones, Rick Veitech, and (sometimes) Peter Laird.

MrPliggins
08-30-2017, 07:46 PM
I just can't get into the Nick show. It will keep my attention and mild interest, but I have no interest in pursuing watching the entire series. If it was easily accessible on Netflix, maybe.

LeotheLateBloomer
08-30-2017, 07:48 PM
PD is the most obvious for me but I've said my piece on those.

I didn't care for the 2 episode OVA but it's pretty forgettable.

DestronMirage22
08-31-2017, 12:21 AM
The PD films and Nick's 2012 series.

The PD films for obvious reasons (horrid designs, brain-dead attempts at humor, idiotic plots, bad acting choices, etc).
And the Nick version because of its poor plots, 3D animation (bleh), in-name-only characters, overload of FW pandering, infantile humor, bad attempts at continuity, the list goes on and on.

CyberCubed
08-31-2017, 01:57 AM
The Nick cartoon doesn't have any more FW pandering than IDW does, and the humor is mostly hit than miss with me even in the recent seasons. I wouldn't say it has poor plots or continuity either, this is a kids show after all. Nobody is expecting Citizen Kane.

DevilSpooky
08-31-2017, 03:28 AM
I'll take anything TMNT thrown my way, like it or not is irrelevant (and I do dislike a lot of them), I'll still watch/read through everything released officially at least once.

Powder
08-31-2017, 03:49 AM
I'll take anything TMNT thrown my way, like it or not is irrelevant (and I do dislike a lot of them), I'll still watch/read through everything released officially at least once.

Everything deserves a fair chance. I wish more fans had this attitude (casuals, I mean).

mrmaczaps
08-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Image. It has the black and white print and all red mask that Mirage had. Also, Shredder and Rat King are dead. No familiar reoccurring characters aside from April. It had all the Mirage qualities that made it boring to an other media fan. Not only that it was something that is so dark and depressing. It was willing to maime the Turtles and willing to kill one off too. Nothing familiar, only turn offs. Nothing about the Turtles I love is present. I may be older now and prefer more mature taste, but nothing like Image.

I spit venom on The Next Mutation as well especially the female Turtle concept, but I was initially taken to it during its run thinking it needed a second season to introduce old characters. I thought it could change direction from its campy tone and may be bring Shredder in full-time, but it did not get a chance. A year after cancellation I was over the hope of something silly and mediocre could be something interesting to me. I looked down upon it like I do Image be living the two contributed to the 4 plus year of a dark era and pretend neither exist.

You should give Image a try if and when it gets reprinted. Its not nearly as dark & depressing as you describe... and none of the Turtles die... Karai is there, Casey is there and some other Turtles characters... their personalities are all spot on too. Leo is the harsh on himself leader. Raph is always pissed off. Donnie is a tech genius. Mikey is a loveable goofball. Funny because from one or two issues it seems really dark and I almost decided to skip it too. Then I didn't...... And I'm glad.

Bodycount on the otherhand I can do without....

Edit: Powder is spot on and we rarepy agree on anything....

plastroncafe
08-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Oh yeah, the image stuff is a hoot.

I didn't like it when it first came out, but I've grown a new appreciation for it since then. It's like a time capsule to everything that Comics became in the 90s.

Andrew NDB
08-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Or is it that these folks can't enjoy a series which lacks slapstick, puns, & bumbling henchman, aspects added only to make it palatable to children with attention deficit issues?

Yes. This.

pferreira
08-31-2017, 12:18 PM
I can't get into the Nick series or IDW from what I've seen so far. I suppose I'll give time to Volume 3 and 4 at some point.

The FW cartoon is just awful in a boring kind of way.
The Archie stuff is just a sloppy but somewhat better version of the FW cartoon.
The second and third movies are kinda trashy.
Next Mutation isn't something I've bothered to check out in full.
I haven't read the Image series because of lack of availability, the same goes for the Dreamwave comic.
The first PD movie is generically bad and the second one legitimately pissed me off.
The Nick comics are just kind of pointless additions to the Nick continuity.
Sooooo pretty much everything apart from IDW? Fair enough. :lol:

I guess the only thing I haven't read is the UK TMNT comics based on the original cartoon, but those have never been made available here so I can't read them.Wow, now I can say I've experienced a TMNT media that CyberCubed hasn't. Nah, don't worry you're not missing much. :D

Krutch
09-08-2017, 06:21 AM
For me, I think the 2014 TMNT is the one thing I can't get into. I usually find some kind of sick joy in watching anything from We Wish You a Turtle Christmas, through Next Mutation, to the freakin' Operation Blue Line.

But, TMNT 2014? Just left me feeling empty inside. I just can't bring myself to ever revisit it.

...Actually, Sachs had a couple good lines. So, theres that at least.

https://media.tenor.com/images/d1fce90793971c3086a5477a31eb292c/tenor.gif

CyberCubed
09-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Man, the Nick cartoon is great. Watching the new Monster arc eps now that I had no expectations for and I'm enjoying them quite a bit. This show has so much subtle adult humor that flies over kids heads and some great action scenes and set pieces.

dragonside
09-08-2017, 05:49 PM
the hardest thing to get into was...

The korean bootleg version. AHAHAHHAHA

Our Friend Power 5.

It had a gundam in it, a girl turtle, really bad costumes.

Turtle Tunes and Turtle Christmas were so bad too, but not as bad as that.

Technogeek29
09-09-2017, 03:43 AM
PD movies but I'm not going on about that anymore.

IMAGE, Archie and Dreamwave but only from not reading all of them. I have a large collection of scattered issues here and there which is why I seem so informed.

Shark_Blade
09-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Next Mutation & Anime TMNT.

DestronMirage22
09-10-2017, 12:50 AM
the hardest thing to get into was...

The korean bootleg version. AHAHAHHAHA

Our Friend Power 5.

It had a gundam in it, a girl turtle, really bad costumes.

Oh man, I had no idea that existed until now.
It's amazing.
It's so bad it's actually kind of good. :lol:

Candy Kappa
09-10-2017, 03:56 AM
The obvious answer is the PD universe.

Our Friend Power 5.

Is a national treasure!

biganimefan
09-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Honestly, I never watched the TMNT "specials" released on stage and screen back in the early 90's. Don't have any inclination to watch them now.

Haven't gotten into Dreamwave either. Unless IDW brings that out in a trade, I'll probably end up passing on it.

Powder
09-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Haven't gotten into Dreamwave either. Unless IDW brings that out in a trade, I'll probably end up passing on it.

There actually is a trade, I think. Not from IDW, but still.

Storm Eagle
09-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Just Next Mutation and that's it.

Fishface
09-15-2017, 04:54 AM
The 2012 series, Seasons 3-5. Seasons 1 and 2 were SO GOOD and then these three came along. Although I will admit, they did have some okay things about them and are definitely NOT NEARLY as bad as what people bash it for and say about it, they just were not my cup of tea.