PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irma

The Deadman
09-05-2017, 07:14 AM
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-united-states-hurricane-warning-puerto-rico-leeward-islands-0

Storm is now a Cat. 5 and Florida is under a state of emergency. Current models have it reaching Florida as a Cat. 4 and is unknown if it'll turn north off the east coast or the west coast of the state.

IndigoErth
09-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Poor Florida. I suppose when you're a large peninsula that sticks out like a sore thumb down that south, it's to be expected sometimes, but one that strong...? :ohwell:

For their sake, I hope it turns sooner, only skirts the coast, and they end up on the "safer" side of it. Comparatively speaking of what the worst side (north/east) could do if it hits from the gulf side instead. :tsad: (But then at the same time, where does it go after that.)

I trust FL's got this though, they know the drill and doubt most will just sit in place like Texas unfortunately did. Now to just check in on a friend though and see what her plans with her husband and handful of pets is...

BubblyShell22
09-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Horrible to hear this might hit Florida. Looks like hurricane season is starting off with a bang.

plastroncafe
09-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Irma's going to hit both the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico at Category 5 levels.

From the National Weather Service as of 3 hours ago:
Irma has increased in strength to Category 5 with winds of 185 mph and is expected to continue as a potentially catastrophic hurricane as it approaches Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands late Wednesday morning. Irma is forecast to move northeast of the local islands, but through the local outer Atlantic waters Wednesday afternoon through early Thursday Morning. Irma is expected cause dangerous winds, storm surge, rip currents and rainfall impacts across the local islands. Hurricane force wind gusts are possible across the Northern U.S. Virgin Islands, Culebra, Vieques and Northeast Puerto Rico with strong tropical force winds likely.

Stay safe, everyone.

Katie
09-05-2017, 06:43 PM
All I know is that I have a beach house rented next week in Florida so Irma better stay the f&ck out of the Gulf. If it goes in the Gulf and its a Cat 5 it won't even matter if I stay home. I'll still have a hurricane to deal with.

TigerClaw
09-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Horrible to hear this might hit Florida. Looks like hurricane season is starting off with a bang.
Florida is no stranger with Hurricanes, you been through one, you been through them all.

BubblyShell22
09-06-2017, 06:18 AM
I know that, but it's still not a good thing that they have to deal with.

The Deadman
09-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Florida is no stranger with Hurricanes, you been through one, you been through them all.

That line of thinking is silly, especially considering how they dont experience the same type of hurricane every time.

IndigoErth
09-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Add in the fact that it has been, I believe, quite a while since FL has had a major hurricane make landfall, right? You could have a lot of newcomers to the state in that time that haven't seen more than a minor one or tropical storms.

Sure there have been some near misses, like Matthew last year, but skirting the coast to the east is nothing in comparison to a landfall or a bad one on the Gulf side.

Irene (who I keep trying to mistake Irma's name for!) did that to us here. Being on the better side of that thing I was surprised how little impact there was. Being on the "bad" side of Isabel, however, weakened to a TS, in '03 was worse for us, even at the distance it was. Fingers crossed that Irma turns sooner and spares FL the same. Don't want to think about hit hitting anyone else if that happens, but hopefully it might weaken by then.

BubblyShell22
09-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Yeah, Hurricane Andrew was the last major one they had in 1992 and I doubt a lot of people have forgotten that horrific storm. I would hate for something like this to happen again.

Katie
09-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Really, as was said, its not that people who went through it forget, its that 1 million or so people have moved to Florida since Andrew. Those people have no Idea what they're in for.

If you have been through a big one, you don't forget. Mine was Ivan. It made me paranoid about any hurricane that even LOOKS like it might come towards me.

snake
09-06-2017, 05:20 PM
2 more hurricanes are coming. Katia and Jose.

These are the end times, I tell you.

IndigoErth
09-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Eh, Katia looks to be a short lived TS affecting Mexico only. (edit: Never mind, guess I saw 'old' info, Katia became a hurricane. That fast. Wtf.) Was surprised to just see that one on a radar map thing I just looked at.

End times, no. Common busy part of the season, yes. Shame Irma's projected path doesn't seem to have shifted much from this morning. :ohwell: Just a little more to the east.

And Jose is now a hurricane, assumed to become major as well. Lovely. And now that they've put a projected path on that one... Are they spreading out so that everyone can have one? (Turn out to sea, jackass...and drag your big sister off with you.)

TigerClaw
09-06-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm ready for Hurricane Irma.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJEIm1cWsAE6mJ9.jpg:small

IndigoErth
09-06-2017, 06:01 PM
She's bringing the big guns, alright.

Ivan, Irma, Isabel, Irene... I-storms are such hurricane I-holes. :tmad:

Prowler
09-06-2017, 09:18 PM

I actually wanted to make a joke like that but was afraid people would take it the wrong way. :P

She's bringing the big guns, alright.

Ivan, Irma, Isabel, Irene... I-storms are such hurricane I-holes. :tmad:
Hurricanes seem to usually have female names or is it just me?

MsMarvelDuckie
09-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Hurricane names alternate male and female. We've just gotten a run of fairly strong female ones lately.

Prowler
09-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Hurricane names alternate male and female. We've just gotten a run of fairly strong female ones lately.
This sounds like a dumb question, but why do they name hurricanes? Do they do that for tornados and other natural disasters as well?

MsMarvelDuckie
09-07-2017, 04:14 AM
No. I'm not sure why they name them other than that it is easier than referring to "the second F3 hurricane in the Atlantic of the 2017 season". People would not remember which one it is. So they just give them names. Mention Sandy or Katrina though and they know EXACTLY which one it is!

Katie
09-07-2017, 05:54 AM
They started naming them for simplicity of plotting and because people seem to pay attention when they are named. They used to name them by where they did damage, but then you may have had one storm with multiple names and they would have had no idea it was the same storm.

In the 30's or 40's the started being able to track them and decided to name them. The first batch of named hurricanes were named with the military alphabet. (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, etc).

Then they did all female names alphabetically.

Then they changed to alternating male and female names alphabetically. They have six or seven lists that they run through each year. This year happens to be the same list from the year Katrina hit. When a storm is particularly deadly or costly they retire names.

Like the year Katrina hit, if they run through all the names on a list for a certian year, they go to the Greek alphabet.

....weather nerd

BubblyShell22
09-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Good to know. So then a hurricane will never be named Katrina or Andrew again since those were deadly hurricanes. You learn something new every day.

The Deadman
09-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Yeah Harvey and possibly this one will definitely be retired after this season.

IndigoErth
09-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Like the year Katrina hit, if they run through all the names on a list for a certian year, they go to the Greek alphabet.

Have we ever even gotten to the Greek names other than in 2005? That was wild. I remember even at the end of the year we still had a named storm. Two that December. Only reason that list stopped was because the year did! :lol: (I'd thought we might start on the next list early in Jan. but they oddly stopped after Zeta died post-New Year.)

So Irma is edging eastward? This is good I hope for a portion of FL, even if just a little?

plastroncafe
09-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Three confirmed deaths in Puerto Rico. 70% of people without power, 18% without access to running water, and 42% of the hospitals being operational.

Refractive Reflections
09-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Good thing we have CNN to inform us, that maybe if this hurricane had a masculine name, maybe this gender-biased society would have taken Hurricane Irma more seriously:

(CNN)Apparently sexism isn't just a social problem -- if you're in the path of a hurricane, gender bias might actually kill you.

A study suggests people prepare differently for hurricanes depending on whether the storm has a male or female name.

"Feminine-named hurricanes (vs. masculine-named hurricanes) cause significantly more deaths, apparently because they lead to a lower perceived risk and consequently less preparedness," a team of researchers wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In other words, a hurricane named "Priscilla" probably wouldn't be taken as seriously as a hurricane named "Bruno," which might spark more fear and prompt more people to flee.

Researchers backed up their claims with death rates from U.S. hurricanes from 1950 to 2012. (They also conducted experiments on how people would react to hypothetical male and female hurricanes -- more on that later.)

The study suggests that changing a severe hurricane's name from Charley to Eloise could nearly triple its death toll.

"For severe storms, where taking protective action would have the greatest potential to save lives, the masculinity-femininity of a hurricane's name predicted its death toll," the study said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/01/health/female-hurricanes-deadlier-than-male-hurricanes-trnd/index.html

IndigoErth
09-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Saw that turn up on Google the other day, and via multiple sources... so it wasn't CNN's study, so why blame them. Not like they're the only ones who reported on it.

And if a study did find that some people seem to stupidly take a storm less seriously based on its name, so be it. Some humans are dumb like that. Survival of the fittest will take care of them.

Undoubtedly similar might happen with softer sounding male names vs more macho sounding. Only an idiot will judge it by its name, but... let said idiot go ahead with it.

plastroncafe
09-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately Survival of the Fittest really means Survival of the Just Fit Enough To Eek By.

The study on Female Named Storms being more deadly isn't some grand new revelation, it's from a 2014 paper.

You can read a dissection of the paper Here. (http://www.snopes.com/female-named-hurricanes-death/)

Or the paper itself Here. (http://www.pnas.org/content/111/24/8782.full)

It important to note that only female presenting names were used to name storms between 1950 and 1978, so that kind of skews the data a bit.

Honestly? There's just way too many variables to consider when one looks at the overall danger of a given storm.

The socio-economic background of the community. The severity of the storm. The infrastructure. Where the people in said community get their information.

I just read a transcript of a hard-right leaning talking head who told people not to worry about buying bottled water, because the stuff from the tap is fine.

Which, I'm sure in their neck of the woods it is...but that's not always the case. And might not be the case after the storm hits.

Katie
09-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Have we ever even gotten to the Greek names other than in 2005? That was wild. I remember even at the end of the year we still had a named storm. Two that December. Only reason that list stopped was because the year did! :lol: (I'd thought we might start on the next list early in Jan. but they oddly stopped after Zeta died post-New Year.)

So Irma is edging eastward? This is good I hope for a portion of FL, even if just a little?

That was the only year besides the years with no naming convention that the Greek names were used.

There's still alot of play in the track. I see they have moved it back slightly to the west again so they have it running straight up the peninsula again.

I just hope it stays out of the Gulf. For my vacaton and home's sake. If it goes in the Gulf it will stay HUGE. Its already the longest lived Cat 5 in recorded Atlantic history.

IndigoErth
09-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Bleh, that sucks that it moved back over. :( Best of luck with this thing...

I just read a transcript of a hard-right leaning talking head who told people not to worry about buying bottled water, because the stuff from the tap is fine.
He really didn't think that through nearly enough. :roll: Sure, if you already have old clean milk jugs or other containers you can fill up, do it. (And some news sources have been suggesting people do.) But as you said, post storm... then what? A little listeria (or whatever is more likely) goes a long way. :sick:

Those unsealed containers will also only keep for so long, of course. Better to use those first and still have some sealed ones for backup later.

plastroncafe
09-07-2017, 04:22 PM
He really didn't think that through nearly enough. :roll: Sure, if you already have old clean milk jugs or other containers you can fill up, do it. (And some news sources have been suggesting people do.) But as you said, post storm... then what? A little listeria (or whatever is more likely) goes a long way. :sick:

Those unsealed containers will also only keep for so long, of course. Better to use those first and still have some sealed ones for backup later.

Better their GI tract than mine. Honestly, anyone who considers him, or those like him, to be reliable or credible in any way only have themselves to blame.

TigerClaw
09-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Here's video of Hurricane Irma from the ISS today, she's HUGE!

C-mBf0rjXpc

The Deadman
09-07-2017, 05:20 PM
The fact anyone is talking about a study based on what named hurricanes are taken more seriously boggles my mind. We just had Harvey which devastated Houston and now Irma is about to unleash on Florida. Who cares. What's next, are we gonna waste time talking about how hurricanes with latino names arent taken seriously like Jose?

Katie
09-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Nah, you missed the point. He posted that to be political. "Oh hai guiz! Isn't CNN such fake news! LOL. stupid feminists."

Never mind that plenty of other news outlets posted it as an interesting phenomenon and CNN didn't create the study

The Deadman
09-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Everyone and their mother tried to make Harvey political and even then, that got annoying. Let's stick to what's important here and that's the safety of the people in the southeast.

Shark_Blade
09-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Good thing we have CNN to inform us, that maybe if this hurricane had a masculine name, maybe this gender-biased society would have taken Hurricane Irma more seriously:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/01/health/female-hurricanes-deadlier-than-male-hurricanes-trnd/index.html

Maybe they deserve to die due to their own stupidity. :trolleye: A hurricane is a hurricane, their own gender bias to the names doesn't change the danger it brings.

plastroncafe
09-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Everyone and their mother tried to make Harvey political and even then, that got annoying. Let's stick to what's important here and that's the safety of the people in the southeast.

Except that keeping those people safe IS political.
Infrastructure maintenance and upgrades are political.
Disaster relief is political.

All of that stuff comes from somewhere, and has to be paid for somehow.
A bunch of the lawmakers looking for funding for Houston denied similar funding for New York for the damage done by Sandy.

TurtleWA
09-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Some are saying Harvey funding will be tied to funding "the wall." That sounds political to me and also reminds me of the following quote.
"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." -Rahm Emanuel

Katie
09-08-2017, 05:57 AM

Everything's always political these days. There's a huge online laugh fest about that CNN story and on the other side, Rush Limbaugh basically said all the coverage if the hurricanes by media was part of a money grabbing conspiracy between the local news and retail stores. TLDR: he says hurricane coverage is fake news.

I am constantly amazed at what can be exploited to fit some narrative these days.

Both sides of the political spectrum have lost their minds.

BubblyShell22
09-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Everything in our lives is going to be political nowadays. That's just the way things are and we just have to either deal with it or ignore it. I'm definitely more concerned about the safety of others, but certain things are funded by the government such as FEMA.

Sumac
09-08-2017, 07:27 AM
That's what you get, when technology allows to develop "infobubbles" which unite people based on their "beliefs".

Before, people could be united by their beliefs, but they still were forced to interact with outside world, so their insanity / zelousness was kept in check, either because of ethics or because their day-to-day interactions were not allowed them to become completely brainwashed.

Nowadays, people can create an environment, where they can be surrounded by only like-minded individuals almost 24/7. Which allow their zealousness to grow and fester unchecked. Add to this default teenage maximalism and people who want to use others for their own gain (but not necessarily believing in whatever they are preaching), and you are in one heck of a ride.

Personally, I have grown weary of this left-right tug-o-war, and really want both radical sides of the spectrum to fall under the earth or something, because at this point it's not battle for progress or status quo, its just dickwaving contest, which doesn't lead to anything, but to more division, confusion and hatred. Both sides, have compromised themselves to the point, when they have become laughing stock for normal people, but I guess, it will take time to tide of insanity to die down.

Of course, it doesn't mean that this insanity is something new (idiots were always part of the humanity), but those unstable individuals, who could not influence a lot of people before and were mostly silent, nowadays receive a platform and a way to affect lives of other people. And this is a problem.

Sorry, for being slightly off-topic.

plastroncafe
09-08-2017, 08:30 AM
The thing is this sort of stuff has been said with the Advent of every new form of information technology.

First it was the printing press, then novels, then telegraph, then radio, then movies, and television....

Everything has always been political.

What's extra funny about taking head pundits complaining about how other people make things unnecessarily political is that they very literally make they're living by being devil's advocates.

Normally this is at best amusing it at least annoying. But when the topic at hand is public safety, they can be dangerous.

Sumac
09-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Everything has always been political.
From my understanding, when people say "making it political" they mean it not as "related to government, policies, e.t.c", but promoting some agenda, using disaster and death as a vehicle.

Many people see such thing as unethical and outright vile. Which is fully understandable.

sdp
09-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I've had a hellish time recently, the hurricanes have caused flooding where I live and I also got hit by an earthquake that also did some damage.

Everything has always been political but things are indeed worse now as the narrative has been taken up to 11 and you harassed by people about it now.

Good thing is more and more people are noticing and the extreme sides are alienating more people so things should get better eventually. it's really vocal minority groups on both sides and the media trying to cash-in by creating controversy and divide for ratings.

plastroncafe
09-08-2017, 09:50 AM
From my understanding, when people say "making it political" they mean it not as "related to government, policies, e.t.c", but promoting some agenda, using disaster and death as a vehicle.

Many people see such thing as unethical and outright vile. Which is fully understandable.

That's interesting, normally when I see people complain about everything being political, it sounds to me like they feel as though they're being bombarded by things that don't directly affect them, and would prefer it if those things would just go away.

I'd say that it's entirely unethical to use a tragedy as a means by which to create change, but there are some tragedies that could have been avoided had people taken precautions beforehand.

So I hesitate to agree with that blanket statement.

The Deadman
09-08-2017, 10:01 AM

This is a perfect example of just that

http://www.thewrap.com/jennifer-lawrence-blames-hurricanes-harvey-irma-on-trump-win-mother-natures-rage-and-wrath/

Sumac
09-08-2017, 02:40 PM
That's interesting, normally when I see people complain about everything being political, it sounds to me like they feel as though they're being bombarded by things that don't directly affect them, and would prefer it if those things would just go away.
Depends on what they mean - if it means if they constantly under "bombardment" of propaganda - than such sentiment is justifiable.
If they talk like that about any case of whatever they understand as "unwanted information" - than it's just foolish ignorance.

I'd say that it's entirely unethical to use a tragedy as a means by which to create change, but there are some tragedies that could have been avoided had people taken precautions beforehand.
I think, we can agree, that hurricanes are not this case.

This is a perfect example of just that

http://www.thewrap.com/jennifer-lawrence-blames-hurricanes-harvey-irma-on-trump-win-mother-natures-rage-and-wrath/
It's not making it political - it's just separate case of idiocy.
Or rather stupid attempt at PR.

plastroncafe
09-08-2017, 02:51 PM
I think, we can agree, that hurricanes are not this case.

You don't think damage from hurricanes could be mitigated by precautions taken beforehand?

snake
09-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Hurricanes are racist. Known fact.

Sumac
09-08-2017, 11:31 PM
You don't think damage from hurricanes could be mitigated by precautions taken beforehand?
Mitigated - yes, avoided - no.

I am maybe a bit too pedant about wording, though.

BubblyShell22
09-09-2017, 04:34 PM
I think if people take precautions, things are going to get better. There will still be devastation, but at least some things can be protected if people just take precautions and either leave or at least go to a shelter somewhere instead of trying to ride it out. Heard on the Today Show this morning that Homestead has definitely learned their lesson from Hurricane Andrew and that they have better protection for their buildings which is a good start.

TigerClaw
09-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Looks like Irma is gonna hit on the West Coast of Florida, Its currently a Category 3, but it could become a Category 4.

BubblyShell22
09-10-2017, 07:58 AM
There was one gentleman who wanted to evacuate but couldn't because his daughter was born jaundiced and he had to ride it out. Hope people stay safe out there.

TigerClaw
09-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Irma is going to the West side of Florida, while on the East Coast, were experiencing Tropical Storm style winds.

BubblyShell22
09-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I see that. Eye just passed Marco Island and Naples now. Everyone, please stay safe.

IndigoErth
09-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Glad it has dropped down to a Cat 2 at this point. A friend in FL had hoped and figured they wouldn't get too much out of this, but since the track had shifted westward... yeah, her area is apparently due for the eye wall shortly. :ohwell: Luckily she's still posting on FB.

At least an old friend of my mom's, formerly of Sarasota, is living with a Daughter in Atlanta these days. Though a son is in Sarasota...

BubblyShell22
09-11-2017, 07:31 AM
Atlanta's going to get it, too, so they aren't out of the woods either. Now Irma is a tropical storm. Heard Tennessee is also under a tropical storm warning and my aunt lives there along with two of my cousins. Hope they don't get hit too hard.

IndigoErth
09-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Yeah, a tropical storm can be a little rough as well, depending on the storm itself and esp if on the 'bad' side, but provided they don't cause bad flooding they're usually do-able with just scattered clean up.

If on the better side, flooding might be more of a concern than winds, but TN (or at least parts of it?) should have the benefit of having some higher ground, unlike FL. (Or poor Texas.)

Can't ever trust them though, not even the remnants. Which is why I'm also keeping an eye on Irma's path because some of the models seemed to think it may exit land over my area... as they most often tend to do. :roll:

Case in point... Tropical storm Henri, which was right before Isabel in '03. Very minor, it hit FL, but didn't do much to them or any other states along it's path north (a few inches rain max in some)...then the remnants of it hit us (north DE) and PA and suddenly turned into a total a**hole with flash flooding and $16 mil in damages in my state.

But, on the up side, I think it helped protect people when Isabel came past three days later. No one was brushing that one off prior as they might have otherwise...

Katie and our other Floridians, I hope you guys are okay and mostly spared!

Is it just me getting tired of these storms...? I don't look forward to moving onto [more prolonged coverage] of drunken loop-de-loop Jose just quietly out there plotting it's plan of attack. (Irma could at least try to make up for itself a smidge by pushing that one away.)

BubblyShell22
09-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Katie lives in Alabama, not Florida.

They say Jose won't hit the States, but you never know if tracks can change as shown by Irma. Best to be prepared.

IndigoErth
09-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Ah, my mistake, a FL beach house was mentioned. Hope those plans at least aren't ruined.

Katie
09-11-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm good. :)

I am in Florida now. Had tropical storm conditions today, but my butt was sitting on the beach this morning before the rain started and had my free microderm abrasion courtesy of Irma.

Now its sitting over my house in Birmingham. Cold and windy, but otherwise ok per Stryker.

So far so good!

Tomorrow and the rest of the week is sunny and low 80's.

Shells were fantastic this morning. I found some amazing ones.

IndigoErth
09-11-2017, 07:22 PM
and had my free microderm abrasion courtesy of Irma.
:lol:

Admit I'm a tad envious, I almost wish Jose would come up along the coast, just enough to wash up whatever neat shells and cool stuff that might be out there to find.

BubblyShell22
09-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Glad to hear it worked out, Katie, and that you found some awesome shells.

Klunk1234
09-13-2017, 01:31 PM

I know you want to make a joke, but this Irma was horrible...:tsad: South Florida was saved, but Key West, Cuba, Barbuda, Saint Martin/ Sint Maarten were demolished by her.

Andrew NDB
09-13-2017, 01:44 PM

I actually wanted to make a joke like that but was afraid people would take it the wrong way. :P

Yeah, I was about one minute away from making a Photoshop of Irma's face onto the hurricane, like the Steve Harvey meme that was going around when Harvey was happening. Stopped myself.

Klunk1234
09-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Good to know. So then a hurricane will never be named Katrina or Andrew again since those were deadly hurricanes. You learn something new every day.

Yes. Harvey and Irma will be retired next year. This year they retire 2016 hurricanes Matthew and Otto. But there are cases, a hurricane is not retired despite the damage and loss of life it cause. An example: Hurricane Gordon (1994). He was catastrophic.

Klunk1234
09-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Here's video of Hurricane Irma from the ISS today, she's HUGE!

C-mBf0rjXpc

And unlike Andrew who affected one area of Florida, Irma affected many Floridian cities with her rain and howling winds. Key West is destroyed. :tsad:

Klunk1234
09-13-2017, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew NDB;1713869]Yeah, I was about one minute away from making a Photoshop of Irma's face onto the hurricane, like the Steve Harvey meme that was going around when Harvey was happening. Stopped myself.[/QUOTE

Good for you! I don't think no one would do a joke with your avatar, either. After all, your namesake Andrew destroyed South Florida 25 years ago.

IndigoErth
09-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Only seen this via FB, but kinda neat! :)

https://www.facebook.com/randy.shots/posts/1601130489943647?pnref=story

Look what Irma kicked up out of the bottom of the Indian River, a dugout canoe. Florida State Dept of Historical Resources has been notified, they'll get back with me tomorrow, offices closed yesterday. ( a gentle reminder, this belongs to the people of Florida, and hopefully will be preserved and exhibited in the future) Thank you all for your interest! I got to it before it was picked up by the county with all the other storm debris and placed in a landfill.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21462911_1601130189943677_3853554986751618082_n.jp g?oh=5e9642b3ef87fbf0be55f4907d1d3728&oe=5A14A5BE

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21463189_1601130219943674_6210549957017462312_n.jp g?oh=3981f39254e4cd5590113031aff7b833&oe=5A5BB8EC

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21557891_1601130186610344_7699228502966603580_n.jp g?oh=f8f467b6cbe6119fcbbe4350eabb93b5&oe=5A16BD28

BubblyShell22
09-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Wow! That is very pretty neat! Hope they preserve it.

Leofan26
09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
I'd glad people are learning past mistakes with hurricanes, I know what happened with hurricane Andrew I think that's the name of it back in the 90s, sounds like you guys were more prepared this time.

Hurricane Harvey was pretty bad too, hope Trump does just as much to help them like what he did for Texas.

BubblyShell22
09-14-2017, 03:13 PM
He was going to visit Naples today and I'm sure he will do all he can to help them out.