PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy the Turtles fighting traditional monsters?

CyberCubed
09-09-2017, 12:21 PM
In the Nick cartoon there's a monster arc coming up, or already out if you're watching the DVD, so I'm wondering do people enjoy the Turtles fighting traditional monsters?

This all stems back to Mirage. The Mirage comics had a TON of vampires, werewolves, skeletons, goblins/demons, mummies, gremlin's, etc. throughout it's entire run. A ton of Volume 1, Tales, and Volume 4 issues deal with monsters that aren't aliens or mutants. So this is all in the source material.

The other TMNT universes did the same thing. The 2k3 series has episodes where the Turtles fight skeletons, monsters, gremlin's, or demons in Season 5. etc. Archie had a zombie arc in the Cyber Turtles story arc and Monsterex which was a Frakenstein/wolf combo. IDW as far as I remember had at least two monster-centric arcs.

How do you feel about this?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Archie even had demons from Japanese mythology.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-09-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of traditional monsters but I certainly love seeing the Turtles fight them.

Wesley
09-09-2017, 01:05 PM
I'm not a big fan of traditional monsters, but I do enjoy seeing the Turtles fight them every now and then.

Panda_Kahn_fan
09-09-2017, 01:26 PM
yeah, I think the traditional monsters make for good foes, and depending on how it was handled (movie characters brought to life by magic, being actual monsters, etc.) I think it could work in any continuity, Mirage included. I'd love to see a story where they fought wolf man, Dracula, and the creature, who then all combined into monsterex for the TMNT to fight.

Powder
09-09-2017, 01:51 PM
No qualms here.

CyberCubed
09-09-2017, 02:28 PM
It's kinda funny that people blame Nick for being monster/horror heavy when the Mirage comics did this all the time.

09-09-2017, 02:37 PM
I liked this

http://tmntentity.blogspot.se/2009/01/tmnt-adventures-27.html

great mix of environmental-politicial messages and monster horror.

CyberCubed
09-09-2017, 02:45 PM
There's also a ton of issues about ghosts. I loved one of the Tales issues where the ghost of Oroku Nagi returns in Yoshi's original home. One of the best issues.

09-09-2017, 02:51 PM
I wonder if some people will complain over the new monster-episodes...

neatoman
09-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Don't see why I would be against it, you could make the argument the monsters in the Monster Arc had kind of a stock potrayal but even that isn't bad.

09-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Don't see why I would be against it, you could make the argument the monsters in the Monster Arc had kind of a stock potrayal but even that isn't bad.

I'm not talking about fans. I mean parents complaining because of their faith...

neatoman
09-09-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm not talking about fans. I mean parents complaining because of their faith...

A very vocal minority.

CyberCubed
09-09-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't think religious nuts would really care. What would they complain about? Ghosts, crosses, the living dead? There are monsters in kids media all the time.

IndigoErth
09-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Those sorts would definitely care about that stuff. But oh well... don't like it, then don't watch it. (Just a shame if it's parents once again banning kids from it. Someday I still want to grab a copy of that anti-TMNT/Saturday morning book. Shame to think there are those today who could still write a new one.)

As to the topic... I don't mind the idea of it as a standalone gimmick.

CyberCubed
09-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Well if the Christian Soccer Mom's are upset that "Little Timmy" will be exposed to monsters and the dead coming to life in kids cartoons, then that's their problem. Maybe they can go back to claiming the TMNT franchise is Satan, like they did with other franchises like Pokemon and Harry Potter and Power Rangers as well.

Haha. I don't know where these people come from.

Prowler
09-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Are those people around still? Blaming tv and video games for violence still happens in 2017? I've honestly never met anyone like that.

CyberCubed
09-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Are those people around still? Blaming tv and video games for violence still happens in 2017? I've honestly never met anyone like that.

It's a generational thing. The Soccer Mom's and "Little Timmy" of the 2010's are not the same ones as the ones from the 80's, or the 90's, or the early 2000's...of course.

It's like there's a new generation of them every 10 years, because the old mothers and kids grow up, and new mothers and new "Little Timmies" take their place.

I honestly wonder what happened to the crazy ones from the 80's and 90's....they're probably all in their 50's by now.

Prowler
09-09-2017, 04:19 PM
It's a generational thing. The Soccer Mom's and "Little Timmy" of the 2010's are not the same ones as the ones from the 80's, or the 90's, or the early 2000's...of course.

It's like there's a new generation of them every 10 years, because the old mothers and kids grow up, and new mothers and new "Little Timmies" take their place.

I honestly wonder what happened to the crazy ones from the 80's and 90's....they're probably all in their 50's by now.
The only people I see bitching about kids cartoons and video games nowadays are the infamous SJWs complaining that there should be more gays and black people in said cartoons and games.

Candy Kappa
09-09-2017, 04:45 PM

The Satanic Panic is long gone, and the loons that still believes in that crap is a minuscule minority with little to no impact on anything.

IndigoErth
09-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Although with the schedule and lack of repeats TMNT has, those episodes will inevitably air during church hours so those people that might have a stick up their rears over it might never even know. :P And these new ones certainly don't hit syndication anytime soon, unfortunately.

By the time they come across it the series will be done and too late to raise an issue with it. lol

DWC
09-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Yeah, it's nice to see the Turtles fight traditional monsters. I prefer the ninja material with Shredder and the Foot Clan, but the monster stuff is great also.

CyberCubed
09-10-2017, 04:07 PM
It's kind of ironic in Volume 4 vampires bite Raphael and mutate him into gamera Raph, and in the monster arc in Nick Raph is the one bitten by vampires and turned into a vampire himself.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HFYkvMNKaqA/VM5OTZhlE6I/AAAAAAAAPN4/oSzIyuPIRNs/s1600/12-1.png

Intentional nod, maybe?

ProphetofGanja
09-10-2017, 06:12 PM
It's kind of ironic in Volume 4 vampires bite Raphael and mutate him into gamera Raph, and in the monster arc in Nick Raph is the one bitten by vampires and turned into a vampire himself.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HFYkvMNKaqA/VM5OTZhlE6I/AAAAAAAAPN4/oSzIyuPIRNs/s1600/12-1.png

Intentional nod, maybe?

That's not really irony

ToTheNines
09-10-2017, 06:20 PM
I've been trying to teach him English for like 5 years now. Hasn't quite taken.

ABrown
09-10-2017, 06:43 PM
I really don't care who the turtles are fighting: robots, humans, mutants, monsters, so long as the show/movie is well executed.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 08:30 PM
I've been trying to teach him English for like 5 years now. Hasn't quite taken.
Does he know what an Easter Egg is yet? :P

DestronMirage22
09-10-2017, 09:44 PM
It's all the same to me.
All I'm worried about is that the fight's at least good and makes sense with the actual story.
I don't specifically care what it is they fight.

pferreira
09-14-2017, 09:38 AM
I don't think religious nuts would really care. What would they complain about? Ghosts, crosses, the living dead? There are monsters in kids media all the time.There's a lot more generally accepted in today's TV compared to when I was growing up.

Well if the Christian Soccer Mom's are upset that "Little Timmy" will be exposed to monstersDon't you mean 'Christian Football Mum'? :D

By the way what does an American soccer mum look like anyway?

miru
09-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Not a problem with me! I think more obscure monsters, such as blemmyes, might make a good idea for a story as villains.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-18-2017, 07:56 PM
In that case I want to see them fight some Celtic monsters. Phookas, Bansidhe, a Nucklavee or two....

And is it me or does that red-headed vampire chick in the back on that cover look like Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-14-2017, 07:15 PM
I hate reviving this thread, but it's recent enough, and relevant... what abotu turnign the TMNT's regular villains into classical monsters, or making them resemble classic monsters? IDW rat king looks like Nosferatu, what if a version of rat king could change into a swarm of rats, bite someone and spread a black plague-like curse that turns people into 'were-rat' like creatures under his command, etc. Think of the turtles being overrun by an army of rat-man zombies! :o

Powder
10-14-2017, 07:42 PM
So long as it's cool & makes sense, I guess. Nick (& IDW, to a lesser extent) have proven that characters can be almost completely overhauled to great success.

On another note, I hope we see Monsterex in animation at some point. :tlol: He would've been great for the Nick series. Oh well.

CyberCubed
10-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Yeah, very few Archie characters manage to be used again. Armaggon likely got lucky of being the only old mutant shark character before Bludgeon was created. IDW bringing Null back as a woman was a surprise, and like this topic she/he is basically the devil so they're a monster character.

Malinga and Lord Dregg are also too similar, both bug type aliens with swarms, so it seems like each series uses one or the other (Nick used Dregg, IDW uses Malinga).

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-14-2017, 08:54 PM
So long as it's cool & makes sense, I guess. Nick (& IDW, to a lesser extent) have proven that characters can be almost completely overhauled to great success.

On another note, I hope we see Monsterex in animation at some point. :tlol: He would've been great for the Nick series. Oh well.

Monsterex would be AWESOME! :) I wish he'd show up in some media!

Coola Yagami
10-14-2017, 11:10 PM
It's kinda funny that people blame Nick for being monster/horror heavy when the Mirage comics did this all the time.

Not back to back to back though. As usual, you miss the point.

When the Northampton arc looks more like it just should have been renamed the Monster arc, you have a problem.

CyberCubed
10-15-2017, 01:12 AM
Only 3 of the Northampton eps were horror though. The Creep, April's mother clone ep, and Dream Beavers.

The Bigfoot episode, Punk Frogs episode, car episode, giant bird episode, and the training ep had nothing to do with horror. I can give you maybe the car episode, but I really wouldn't consider it horror.

sdp
10-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Not a huge fan of fictional worlds having traditional monsters unless it's an actual classic monsters fictional world in which case it obviously has to have them.

So not a fan of the turtles fighting them but as long as they don't fight Dracula I can deal.

PApagreg
10-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Only 3 of the Northampton eps were horror though. The Creep, April's mother clone ep, and Dream Beavers.

The Bigfoot episode, Punk Frogs episode, car episode, giant bird episode, and the training ep had nothing to do with horror. I can give you maybe the car episode, but I really wouldn't consider it horror.

One could argue the car was based on Christine/Maximum Overdrive and the giant bird based on Rodan

MsMarvelDuckie
10-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Rodan isn't horror though. Kaiju are not really "horror" monsters, more like natural forces given material form. Nature spirits basically. Gogira is lightening/water, and the others are all elemental too.

The car was definitely Christine though. With a little of The Wraith thrown in.

newfan
10-16-2017, 11:32 PM
I did like but as it was meant to be, a 'tale' story arc, I'm not sure I'd have liked it spread out through the series as much.

Shark_Blade
10-17-2017, 06:38 AM
It's certainly better than aliens and space traveling.

*glares at 2k3 Season 2 & Nick Season 4*

sdp
10-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Aliens and space travelling is as much part of the franchise´s DNA as mutagen or Shredder.

Panda_Kahn_fan
10-17-2017, 09:38 AM
So is fighting vampires and werewolves. That stuff is right there in mirage.

CyberCubed
10-17-2017, 12:05 PM
It's certainly better than aliens and space traveling.

*glares at 2k3 Season 2 & Nick Season 4*

The Utroms and Triceratons are literally introduced in issue 4-5 of Mirage way back in 1985. The Turtles go into space as early as the 5th issue of the entire Mirage run.

You're laughably talking about something that has been there since the beginning of the franchises inception.

Shark_Blade
10-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Doesn't mean I must enjoy it cause I didn't.

The turtles are best in their original environment - Manhattan city. I can just skip those boring ass aliens and space crap.

CyberCubed
10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Doesn't mean I must enjoy it cause I didn't.

The turtles are best in their original environment - Manhattan city. I can just skip those boring ass aliens and space crap.

Then you don't know what TMNT is about. The space arcs always have interesting episodes and concepts.

Shark_Blade
10-18-2017, 11:37 PM
Of course I know TMNT; I've been through em. Now I can skip those boring bits.

10-19-2017, 05:54 AM
I can just skip those boring ass aliens and space crap.

If so, why not let them come to Manhattan?

CyberCubed
10-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Of course I know TMNT; I've been through em. Now I can skip those boring bits.

So you'd purposely skip over good episodes? Your loss.

PizzaPower1985
10-19-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm more of a fan of TMNT being street level and fighting the main baddies but the occasional monster or alien or some other oddity is fine with me. As long as they are interesting characters and not the villain of the week or whatever.

When the boys took on vampires and other creatures in Mirage it felt organic to the franchise, perhaps because Mirage is so odd and the ideas in that series are all over the place. In 2K3 there were instances too that felt like a nice change of pace from the usual Hun, Shredder, Foot clan fare.

So yeah, occasionally it's nice!