PDA

View Full Version : What's it like being twenty years old?

Papenbrook
09-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Near the end of this year, I will be turning twenty years old.

I don't know what it will be like, but I want to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Utrommaniac
09-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Ain't no different than being 19. After 21, I just stopped caring. Sometimes I forget I'm 24.

Powder
09-10-2017, 08:38 PM
It will be no different than 19.

When you reach 25/26, however, the "Oh my God, I'm almost 30..." thoughts may intrude. :tlol:

mrmaczaps
09-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Its just a new day, month, year and then you're 21.... time might move a bit faster and blur things a little... add drinking and I hear it goes faster & blurrier.... :lol:

IndigoErth
09-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Like an adult child. Adult, but olders beyond 25 or 30 think you still act 16 at times.

Also, 21-year-olds tend to be the 14-year-olds of the 20s.

Would love to return to my 20s, but if it's saying much, I'd rather stick with 25 or later.

Final thought... don't take the 20s for granted. As long as the teens seem to drag on, the 20s (and sadly 30s - and I assume all others :ohwell:) go by fast enough to give you whiplash.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 09:13 PM

When you reach 25/26, however, the "Oh my God, I'm almost 30..." thoughts may intrude. :tlol:
Yeah, pretty much this. If I recall, you and I were both born in 1990, so we're around the same age(I turn 27 in November).

Turning 18 was a bigger deal although turning 20 was a bit odd since I was entering a new decade, so to speak. I mean, I turned 20 in 2010. But I didn't fully stop feeling like a teenager until around 22-23.

Ain't no different than being 19. After 21, I just stopped caring. Sometimes I forget I'm 24.
Eh, no offence, but I'm surprised you're a couple of years younger than I am. I thought you'd be in your 30s by now. Don't ask me why cuz I don't know. Maybe you just come across as mature/serious.

I can relate to forgetting being a certain age. I barely noticed 22 and 23. They went by pretty fast. I don't remember 24 that well either.

Powder
09-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Yeah, pretty much this. If I recall, you and I were both born in 1990, so we're around the same age(I turn 27 in November).

Turning 18 was a bigger deal although turning 20 was a bit odd since I was entering a new decade, so to speak. I mean, I turned 20 in 2010. But I didn't fully stop feeling like a teenager until around 22-23.

Eh, no offence, but I'm surprised you're a couple of years younger than I am. I thought you'd be in your 30s by now. Don't ask me why cuz I don't know. Maybe you just come across as mature/serious.

I can relate to forgetting being a certain age. I barely noticed 22 and 23. They went by pretty fast. I don't remember 24 that well either.

We were, yes, & in the same month, apparently! We grow more alike by the day, eh? :lol:

I didn't find 18 to be a big deal whatsoever, myself. I spent my teenage years getting into clubs, buying smokes/alcohol, etc, between that & the things I was up to, I had a full dose of "adulthood" long before the law said I should. :tlol: 21 didn't really land for the same reasons. Now, at 26, I still feel like a teenager in many respects. Not so much for petty high school sorts of reasons, but mainly due to my desire to just have fun, be a bit careless, get by thanks to music, & so on. At the same time, the fact I'm NOT one is way more evident than ever before, as I watch people around me getting married, having kids, etc. I also feel like sh*t, but it's probably more to do with health problems than it is aging. I've definitely had a lot of realizations about what it means to get older, though. Things my parents told me as a kid finally make sense, but not for the better. Some wisdom, is a burden.

It is true that once you reach a certain age, time seems to increase doubly, perhaps moreso. I googled that phenomena some time back, & they say its because you generally create less memories, & sorta run out of milestones for a while, which would otherwise create mental checkpoints. Stating it so vaguely it may seem a bit odd, but look it up, there are a lot of points which make perfect sense of it. Scary, in a way, really.

My advice to Papenbrook & anyone else with the privilege of youth- make the absolute best of it. Take risks, make new friends, try everything. If you wanna do illegal stuff, do it while you're cute & innocent looking, but know where to draw the line. If you're fat, work it off now, 'cause it gets harder later. Time moves quickly, there are an abundance of tomorrows but today is always better.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 09:41 PM
We were, yes, & in the same month, apparently! We grow more alike by the day, eh? :lol:

I didn't find 18 to be a big deal whatsoever, myself. I spent my teenage years getting into clubs, buying smokes/alcohol, etc, between that & the things I was up to, I had a full dose of "adulthood" long before the law said I should. :tlol: 21 didn't really land for the same reasons. Now, at 26, I still feel like a teenager in many respects. Not so much for petty high school sorts of reasons, but mainly due to my desire to just have fun, be a bit careless, get by thanks to music, & so on. At the same time, the fact I'm NOT one is way more evident than ever before, as I watch people around me getting married, having kids, etc. I also feel like sh*t, but it's probably more to do with health problems than it is aging. I've definitely had a lot of realizations about what it means to get older, though. Things my parents told me as a kid finally make sense, but not for the better. Some wisdom, is a burden.

It is true that once you reach a certain age, time seems to increase doubly, perhaps moreso. I googled that phenomena some time back, & they say its because you generally create less memories, & sorta run out of milestones for a while, which would otherwise create mental checkpoints. Stating it so vaguely it may seem a bit odd, but look it up, there are a lot of points which make perfect sense of it. Scary, in a way, really.
Next thing you're telling me we share the same exact birthday. Mine is on November 15. Is that yours as well? :lol:

Well, I wasn't really doing any of those things as a teenager. I was more of a late bloomer. I definitely felt different from 16-17 to 18. I became a metalhead around 17-18 and also suddenly became a bit more outgoing and less "geeky looking".

Well ageing can be a bit scary. Not just in the health department but also in the professional career aspect as well. Let's not forget you and I were turning 17-18 around the time the bubble burst. We were unlucky in that aspect compared to other generations.

Yes, that phenomenon is well known. Although a 50 year old woman told me once she remembers very well being around my age as if it was yesterday and also told me I was gonna reach 50 sooner than I expected. Welp.

Utrommaniac
09-10-2017, 09:51 PM

I'm actually flattered :P . The "It only took 30 years" tagline under my icon probably doesn't help much.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm actually flattered :P . The "It only took 30 years" tagline under my icon probably doesn't help much.
Tbh I hadn't even noticed your tag until now that you've pointed it out.

Utrommaniac
09-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Eh, that's fair. I've actually had other people on the internet think I'm older than I actually am because of the way I write. And in very early instances, assumptions that I was a guy :P .

But yeah, being 20 is nbd. Just an early part of the Emerging Adulthood stage. I was in community college. I turned 21 while helping a lady at a frame shop sort her sample frames (Which took a couple months to complete!). I'm pretty sure I ended things with my first boyfriend then.

Powder
09-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Next thing you're telling me we share the same exact birthday. Mine is on November 15. Is that yours as well? :lol:

Well, I wasn't really doing any of those things as a teenager. I was more of a late bloomer. I definitely felt different from 16-17 to 18. I became a metalhead around 17-18 and also suddenly became a bit more outgoing and less "geeky looking".

Well ageing can be a bit scary. Not just in the health department but also in the professional career aspect as well. Let's not forget you and I were turning 17-18 around the time the bubble burst. We were unlucky in that aspect compared to other generations.

Yes, that phenomenon is well known. Although a 50 year old woman told me once she remembers very well being around my age as if it was yesterday and also told me I was gonna reach 50 sooner than I expected. Welp.

24th for me. Alas, we don't share an astrological sign. :tlol:

I was an early bloomer, really. I got into heavy music at 10, was in a gang by 13, drugs the next year, sex following that. I got all the crazy sh*t out of my system already by the time I was 21. IMO it's better to do all that wild stuff in your teens rather than the college years. I'm glad it went that way for me, if it had to at all. It's a lot harder to bounce back from when you've gotta juggle a job, living on your own, & whatever other adult stuff that can come with the territory of 21+.

Yeah, making a living is a whole 'nother conversation. I've been lucky to see money from some of my creative endeavors, but as life becomes more expensive, I'm finding it a far less reliable source of income. Bills are bullsh*t city. Depending on what kind of person you are, the only difference between 15 & 25 may be that you now owe hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to various companies. That's the real bitch of it, feeling like a kid but having the responsibilities of an adult...

& that 50 year old woman was speaking the truth, I'm sure. 2005 through 2007 were some of my most fun years, over a decade ago now yet it feels like it was just around the corner. & franchises I love being so old now really put things in perspective too. Pokemon is 20 years old! Gosh.

Andrew NDB
09-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Yeah, 25 is big. That's some real "Uh oh" stuff.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 10:13 PM
24th for me. Alas, we don't share an astrological sign. :tlol:

I was an early bloomer, really. I got into heavy music at 10, was in a gang by 13, drugs the next year, sex following that. I got all the crazy sh*t out of my system already by the time I was 21. IMO it's better to do all that wild stuff in your teens rather than the college years. I'm glad it went that way for me, if it had to at all. It's a lot harder to bounce back from when you've gotta juggle a job, living on your own, & whatever other adult stuff that can come with the territory of 21+.

Yeah, making a living is a whole 'nother conversation. I've been lucky to see money from some of my creative endeavors, but as life becomes more expensive, I'm finding it a far less reliable source of income. Bills are bullsh*t city. Depending on what kind of person you are, the only difference between 15 & 25 may be that you now owe hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to various companies. That's the real bitch of it, feeling like a kid but having the responsibilities of an adult...

& that 50 year old woman was speaking the truth, I'm sure. 2005 through 2007 were some of my most fun years, over a decade ago now yet it feels like it was just around the corner. & franchises I love being so old now really put things in perspective too. Pokemon is 20 years old! Gosh.
Well, I'd wager most people start doing the things you mentioned around the ages of 15-17. You can legally drink here around 16(I think it's 18 today) but everyone was already trying alcohol around 14 when I was in 9th-10th grade. And most were smoking tobacco already and probably trying weed as well.

2005 was an OK year from what I remember. 2006 to 2008 were kind of lousy but 2009 was better overall. My teenage years weren't that great tbh.

I can't relate to most people of my circle having kids and getting married. That might be different in yoyr area but not many people marry or have kids nowadays where i live before 28-29.

Yeah, when I was a kid I assumed that adults magically knew everything or almost everything worth knowing about life and that, one day, you'd automatically know how to do all of those things as well. Kinda funny that I used to think that.

Utrommaniac
09-10-2017, 10:20 PM
I am in a little bit of a place where I'm feeling a little left behind by the people in my age groups that do have kids and their own homes and "real" jobs, since I'm a bit of a "slow burner"...and my boyfriend is also a "slow burner" with severe depression and anxiety.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 10:22 PM
I am in a little bit of a place where I'm feeling a little left behind by the people in my age groups that do have kids and their own homes and "real" jobs, since I'm a bit of a "slow burner"...and my boyfriend is also a "slow burner" with severe depression and anxiety.
I can sorta relate to that as well. I am not done with my studies yet unlike most people around my age, but then again I started later since I wasn't able to get into uni at age of 18 like most people did. Oh well everyone has their own pace.

Lack of gf and kids doesn't bother me in the least.

MrPliggins
09-10-2017, 11:50 PM
I took 20 pretty hard at the time, but looking back it wasn't bad at all. It doesn't really feel any different. My 30s are almost over now. I can't tell you how fast the past 20 years have flown by, but you'll find out eventually. There are vivid memories which will always be there, so it will always seems like time is flying because those memories are so vivid they feel like yesterday.

Prowler
09-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Yeah, 25 is big. That's some real "Uh oh" stuff.
25 was when I realised time isn't going back and that I'm an adult and not a kid anymore.

newfan
09-11-2017, 01:33 AM
I feel old this morning :lol:

I remember not liking getting older from about 20, I didn't like 25 and I refused to celebrate being 30.... I wish I was 30 still :) Though If I could take some years off now I don't think it would be right back to 20.

DarkFell
09-11-2017, 02:52 AM
I felt like a teenager during my twenty years of existence.

Those days have since past, and yet I some-what feel about the same, despite the extra mileage and the grown-up responsibilities.

Don't rush turning 21.

Krutch
09-11-2017, 07:07 AM
I'm 32, but still genuinely feel like I'm in my mid-twenties.

But I'll repeat what others here have said: Don't let your twenties go to waste.

IndigoErth
09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Likewise, even at 38, on the inside I don't really feel any different than mid-20s or so. And from what my mom has said over the years, I think it tends to stay that way for a long time. (Well, maybe life choices can ruin it.)

Physically... I don't really feel quit that young, but it isn't that different. Though granted I didn't feel like I had much energy in my 20s either, but that's me.

BubblyShell22
09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
I say enjoy your youth while you have it and appreciate what you can do because things can change. I never thought that at thirty-four I would be taking care of my father full time after he had a massive stroke. Life can change in an instant so don't rush to want to get older because it's not always a picnic in some instances. I'm more worried about when I hit the sixties because that's the age where people pretty much treat you like nothing when it comes to health care and you're just seen as a number for the most part.

ToTheNines
09-11-2017, 05:47 PM
It rules. Smoke weed about it.

Cure
09-11-2017, 05:50 PM
It's just a number. I never really cared about age. That's why "DOESN'T THIS MAKE YOU FEEL OOOOOLD" **** doesn't really affect me.

Prowler
09-11-2017, 09:01 PM
My brother is 34 years old. I asked him a while ago what it feels like to be in your 30s. He told me it made no difference for him physically wise or personality wise. So I guess it depends on the person.

CyberCubed
09-11-2017, 11:59 PM
This thread makes me feel old. I was dreading turning the big 3-0 a year or two ago, now I'm a little past that.

And people are right, once you hit 25 the years just literally fly by. 25-29 literally goes by in the blink of an eye. I remember my early 20's going by slowly....then once I hit 25 I was like WTF...then I somehow hit 30.

And yeah, everyone my age is married with two kids already. Feels weird as hell to see everyone around you grow up and start their own families.

Prowler
09-12-2017, 12:08 AM
This thread makes me feel old. I was dreading turning the big 3-0 a year or two ago, now I'm a little past that.

And people are right, once you hit 25 the years just literally fly by. 25-29 literally goes by in the blink of an eye. I remember my early 20's going by slowly....then once I hit 25 I was like WTF...then I somehow hit 30.

And yeah, everyone my age is married with two kids already. Feels weird as hell to see everyone around you grow up and start their own families.
I remember being 19 and wondering how I'd be like at 30, which at that point was 11 years away. Now there's only less than 4 years left for me to hit 30 and I'm guessing it's not gonna be too different.

No one around my age that I know if is married yet but many/most are in long term relationships and/or living together with someone else by now, sure.

newfan
09-12-2017, 12:40 AM
Yeah I remember someone telling me when I was 20 that the years seem to go faster as you get older and he seems to right.

30 actually isn't old people, and anywhere in your 20's certainly isn't. Make the most of it :)

Krutch
09-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I think the biggest hurdle of being 30 is trying to find that peace of mind that just because everyone else is getting married and having kids and you aren't, doesn't mean you're behind. It just means you're taking a different path.

Also, personally I've found my patience for things has pretty much evaporated.

Last night I saw It at the theatre and was in the back row. The seat to the left of me was empty, then there were three teenagers who were giggling, talking, and looking at their phones for the first ten minutes of the movie. I leaned over and politely asked them to be quiet, which they did... for about 20 seconds. So then I decided to take out my cellphone, turn on the flashlight, and point it straight at their faces for about 30 seconds until they told me to knock it off. "Oh, does this annoy to you?" I tell them. I turn it off, hoping I've proved my point. About five minutes pass and they go right back to giggling on their phones. So I turn my flashlight back on and hold it on them again.

"Turn off the light!"
"Nah."
"I'm serious! Turn off the ****ing light!"
"Hey, I asked nice. Now I'm just gonna be an ass."

Now is when I start putting my finger on and off the light creating a bit of a strobe effect.

"F*** you, man! We'll stop!"
"But I won't, so..."

They got up and left the theatre. I kept expecting them to come back with security but they never did, so, I'm not sure what happened to them.

Point is, I'd have never of done anything like this 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not a terribly intimidating guy, and I generally don't like to stir the pot. But nowadays if you're going to act like a jackass I'll treat you as such. So that's a part of growing up that you can look forward to.

BubblyShell22
09-12-2017, 07:49 AM
Can't blame you for that, Krutch. I would have probably been just as upset as you over that.

CyberCubed
09-12-2017, 12:54 PM
I'd be worried to do that. You never know that teenage kids are stupid and probably have knives or other weapons and could attack you.

I would have just taken a different seat in the theater assuming there were seats left over. I never get involved with annoying strangers because you hear stories of people getting stabbed or beaten up because of stupid things like this.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Maybe so but how ELSE are they gonna LEEAARRRN??!!

CyberCubed
09-12-2017, 03:15 PM
I know I feel old when I watch modern movies and I see characters take out their cell phones to call someone, instead of running to a pay phone booth to call like in the old 80's and 90's movies I watch.

Die Hard's entire plot wouldn't make any sense now that cell phones exist. It's just that back in 1990 when they cut the phone lines in the building, none of those hostages had a cell phone in their pocket.

Powder
09-12-2017, 03:19 PM
*story*

Point is, I'd have never of done anything like this 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not a terribly intimidating guy, and I generally don't like to stir the pot. But nowadays if you're going to act like a jackass I'll treat you as such. So that's a part of growing up that you can look forward to.

I can vouch for this. I've gotten a lot more brazen & tolerate zero bullsh*t. I thought it was more to do with depression making me feel like I had nothing to lose, but perhaps its just that trademark crotchetyness that comes with a man's age. :tlol:

newfan
09-12-2017, 03:22 PM
I know I feel old when I watch modern movies and I see characters take out their cell phones to call someone, instead of running to a pay phone booth to call like in the old 80's and 90's movies I watch.

Die Hard's entire plot wouldn't make any sense now that cell phones exist. It's just that back in 1990 when they cut the phone lines in the building, none of those hostages had a cell phone in their pocket.

Yeah I've found myself watching an older movie and commenting that now they would just call someone... course with the Goonies.... no signal in the tunnels... and chunk would have to have dropped and broken his phone when he ran for help.. that one still gets away with it.

Jester
09-12-2017, 03:46 PM
I look forward to the thread 10 years from now...

Its so long ago, I don't remember 20. :P

newfan
09-12-2017, 04:05 PM
So 20 is the age where you loose the 'teen' from your age but why is that 21 is the special birthday? After that it's the 10's.... I could have just googled it I suppose.

Prowler
09-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Honestly, you're not a full fledged adult until around 25-30 imo. People aged 18-24 might be adults legally speaking but they're still kids, pretty much. I look at people aged 18-21 and they look quite young and immature to me. Just like older people will look at people in their 20s as kids still and still talk to you rather informally. I rarely get called sir/mister by people aged 45 and above. I get called "young man" more often.

CyberCubed
09-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Yeah, also a lot of 20-23 year olds are still in College, so that's like, "extended High School" to a lot of people. It basically just feels like you're an older teen with more freedom.

It's not until you hit 25 or so that you realize you're a full adult now.

TurtleWA
09-12-2017, 04:24 PM
I look forward to the thread 10 years from now...

Its so long ago, I don't remember 20. :P

Yeah with all of us aging turtle fans hanging around the forum eventually the thread titles will start being "what's it like getting a prostate exam?" and "is AARP worth the cost?"

sdp
09-12-2017, 04:28 PM
As others have said:

20 makes you feel old since you're no longer a teenager but then you go on with life as usual until you're 25 and you realize those 5 years passed really quickly and now you're worried about being 30 soon and you don't enjoy those last 5 years and feel like you need to become more of an adult. That's how it's been for me at least.

Prowler
09-12-2017, 05:10 PM
As others have said:

20 makes you feel old since you're no longer a teenager but then you go on with life as usual until you're 25 and you realize those 5 years passed really quickly and now you're worried about being 30 soon and you don't enjoy those last 5 years and feel like you need to become more of an adult. That's how it's been for me at least.
Yeah hitting 18 was cool in a "wow I can legally buy alcohol and get into bars now. And I can vote and get a debit and a credit card as well!" sense. But it's still part of the teenage years. 20 is when you officially stop being one... but I didn't reallystop feeling like one until 23 or so.

CyberCubed
09-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Once I hit 25 I knew I stopped looking forward to my birthday. I'm like...I don't want to get any older from this point on. Now I don't like my birthday as the years feel like they fly by.

I seriously can't believe 2017 is nearly over already. Anyone else feel like it just became 2017 like 3 months ago or something? Where did this year go?

BubblyShell22
09-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Yes, years go by really fast now. Just the way it goes.

Prowler
09-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Once I hit 25 I knew I stopped looking forward to my birthday. I'm like...I don't want to get any older from this point on. Now I don't like my birthday as the years feel like they fly by.

I seriously can't believe 2017 is nearly over already. Anyone else feel like it just became 2017 like 3 months ago or something? Where did this year go?
I haven't looked forward to my birthday since 18. That was the last one worth celebrating imo. Nowadays it's just another day to me.

Well 2010 already feels a bit distant to me tbh, but yeah 2013 not so much.

DWC
09-12-2017, 07:08 PM

Years go by faster as you age because as a kid you have less frame of reference i.e. if you are 5 a year represents a fifth of your life, so it feels huge. By 30 it only represents one thirtieth of your life, so it goes by much quicker and feels like less time.

TurtleWA
09-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Also it could be that time seems to move slowly when younger because you have not much power or privilege. Takes forever until your old enough for this or old enough for that and the other thing. But then time moves fast when older because you can do most things and have little left to look forward to, maybe. At least generally speaking. To some it could also be that time moves fast because they have a lot of accomplishments still waiting, are really satisfied with life or busy all the time and just don't notice the days fly past.

Prowler
09-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Also it could be that time seems to move slowly when younger because you have not much power or privilege. Takes forever until your old enough for this or old enough for that and the other thing. But then time moves fast when older because you can do most things and have little left to look forward to, maybe. At least generally speaking. To some it could also be that time moves fast because they have a lot of accomplishments still waiting, are really satisfied with life or busy all the time and just don't notice the days fly past.
Also, once you get to a certain age, you don't change that much every year like you do when you're a kid. From 12 to 17 you change a lot physically and mentally. But from 21 to 26? Not that much.

And yes, when you're younger every milestone seems special. And when you're a kid, every travel, trip to the mall, trip to certain stores, to a new place, etc. just feels special. I loved going to the mall as a kid or to go to a new country with my family. Could hardly sleep the night prior to the trip due to the anticipation/excitement. As an adult, the world feels less new and I feel like there's barely anything new left to discover. And when I do discover something new, as cool as it might be, it doesn't have the same magic as discovering new things did when I was a kid. I notice this the most with video games and cartoon/anime. When I was a kid, every new game and console felt like it was the coolest thing ever. Nowadays I'm like "oh, cool game" and that's it.

ToTheNines
09-12-2017, 09:02 PM
I'd be worried to do that. You never know that teenage kids are stupid and probably have knives or other weapons and could attack you.

I would have just taken a different seat in the theater assuming there were seats left over. I never get involved with annoying strangers because you hear stories of people getting stabbed or beaten up because of stupid things like this.

Fuc*ing wuss.

Krutch
09-13-2017, 07:57 AM

I would have just taken a different seat in the theater assuming there were seats left over. I never get involved with annoying strangers because you hear stories of people getting stabbed or beaten up because of stupid things like this.Sometimes you just have to ask yourself "What would Supergirl do?"

I can vouch for this. I've gotten a lot more brazen & tolerate zero bullsh*t. I thought it was more to do with depression making me feel like I had nothing to lose, but perhaps its just that trademark crotchetyness that comes with a man's age. :tlol:Ehhh... Considering I'm constantly battling depression, maybe I'm not the best example to draw that conclusion to :P
I haven't looked forward to my birthday since 18. That was the last one worth celebrating imo. Nowadays it's just another day to me.
Yup! This was actually the first year I celebrated my birthday since about.. i'm gonna guess 9 years ago? I take down my Facebook for the 48 hours surrounding my birthday in hopes everyone misses it. But this year the girl I was seeing insisted.

BubblyShell22
09-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I don't think much about my birthdays or holidays really. When you're younger, it's easier to be excited about things like that, but when you get older, they become just another day and nothing more really. I do like it when my grandma visits though because I always want at least one more holiday with her since she's the only grandparent I have left now, and I didn't get to have one more holiday with Grandpa before he passed because he was too sick to come see us.

biganimefan
09-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Yeah, turning 20 was a fairly big deal for me. But to be honest, most of my 20s was in many ways an extension of being a teenager(and a lot of my teenage years were an extension of childhood). Growing up, I was homeschooled and pretty sheltered so I was ignorant of many things. In my 20s I did have a job but mostly still lived at home. Definitely didn't feel like I needed to be careful with money and was mostly a loner. Never figured I'd end up married and largely had no desire to.

Now at 33, I've been happily married for 3 years. Living 2,000 miles away from where I grew up. Have a toddler son and another kid on the way. Physically though I'm pretty much the same at 20. Just a little bit greyer. :)

Anyway, 25 and then 30 was pretty big for me. 33(a third of a century) not so much. I figure that turning 40 will be a fairly big deal to me when the time comes.

Papenbrook
12-01-2017, 06:57 PM
UPDATE: So, I'll be turning twenty in about two days.

It's ... honestly hard for me to get through. The prospect of aging is something that every living thing must go through.

It will be an extremely stressful, but nonetheless important, milestone. How should I honor it?

IndigoErth
12-01-2017, 07:14 PM
I so looked forward to turning 20 and finally being past the teens.

But now you get the accelerate the years and turn 30 before you know it. (And then the next before...well, I'm not sure how the hell that got so close already.) So, enjoy the 20s, they go so quick. And happy early b-day!

Though if I could go back, I think 26 or 27 would be my ideal age.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-01-2017, 07:28 PM
" What's it like being twenty years old?"

Young and beautiful.

CyberCubed
12-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Early 20's are just "an older teenager." You don't feel much different than 17-19 IMO.

Once you hit 25 and beyond however you start to feel more like an adult.

MsMarvelDuckie
12-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Ah so you are a fellow Sagitarrian. Mine is tomorrow. What sucks about it is that for me, 20 was literally 20 (21 after tomorrow) years ago!

I barely acknowledge my birthday anymore. Nobody else seems to beyond the occasional obligatory birthday wish. Mentioned it at work to a few co-workers today, but got little response back.

IndigoErth
12-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Well in that case, happy slightly early birthday to you too, Duckie!

Prowler
12-02-2017, 01:37 AM
Speaking of zodiac... it's strange how most people know what their Zodiac sign is. I mean, it's all a bunch of pseudo-scientific hogwash. I've known I'm a Scorpio since like forever... but what does that even mean other than me being born in November? Whenever you read about the personality traits of each sign... they always have a lot of traits, some even quite different... so yeah no wonder a lot of people will find a couple that fit them.

So yeah, why are horoscopes even thing? And in East Asia, that's even applied to blood types. Ever wondered why the blood type of several anime and video game characters is disclosed even? For horoscope purposes. Often writers will give a blood type that "matches" the character's personality based on horoscopes.

Apparently some people truly believe in astrology. That is a bit scary, imo. Judging someone's character based on their astrological sign.

FredWolfLeonardo
12-02-2017, 01:43 AM
To me, it never seemed like the vast majority of people who check on horoscopes take it seriously, instead just looking at it like a fun piece of trivia.

But Yeah, I have zero interest in Astrology despite being religious. I never understood the appeal but I have nothing against people believing in it.

Edit: How did this thread about being twenty years old become about Astrology all of a sudden? Whats next: Scientology? :lol:

Prowler
12-02-2017, 02:00 AM
To me, it never seemed like the vast majority of people who check on horoscopes take it seriously, instead just looking at it like a fun piece of trivia.

But Yeah, I have zero interest in Astrology despite being religious. I never understood the appeal but I have nothing against people believing in it.

Edit: How did this thread about being twenty years old become about Astrology all of a sudden? Whats next: Scientology? :lol:
Scientology? What is there even to discuss about it? It's just a scam to ripoff gullible rich people such as Tom Cruise and Jon Travolta.

newfan
12-02-2017, 02:21 AM

So far as daily horoscopes go I have read them with a pinch of salt, like a lot of people,I don't think my day will be the same as every other Leo, course it goes deeper than that for those who are into it.

Also, Happy Birthday Duckie! Hope you are not stuck working (unless it doesn't bother you)

IndigoErth
12-02-2017, 03:07 PM
I take them about as serious as I do fortune cookie fortunes. Just a bit of fun. Not all of mine describes me, but plenty enough of it does, so that's cool. Very happy to have gotten Taurus. :tcool:

FredWolfLeonardo
12-02-2017, 04:46 PM
I'm Aquarius

I have zero understanding on what that means in regarding to my personality, but it sounds like some sort of awesome legendary sea creature and behemoth like Poseidon so ill take it.

Cure
12-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Poseidon is a god, not a sea creature. Just a dude.

Prowler
12-03-2017, 02:10 AM
This thread makes me feel old a bit. Goddamn you, Papi.

And it also makes me realise how silly I us for feeling "old" when I turned 20. Looking back I was a kid who knew nothing about life.

CyberCubed
12-03-2017, 02:52 AM
20 year olds are still kids. I'd say you're not an adult until 25.

Prowler
12-03-2017, 02:56 AM
20 year olds are still kids. I'd say you're not an adult until 25.

Aren't there studies that state the part of a person's brain responsible for making tough decisions doesn't fully develop until they're 25? So yeah, you're on to something there.

Employers don't really take people under 25 that seriously. And some argue that 25 is when you stop being a young adult.

As a 27 year old and far from being the most mature one out there, I finde people below 23 to be quite immature looking and sounding.

Papenbrook
12-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I just turned twenty today! :eyemouth:

Man, I wish I was/were younger. :(

ProphetofGanja
12-03-2017, 09:25 PM
I just turned twenty today! :eyemouth:

Man, I wish I was/were younger. :(

Happy Birthday!

20 is still very young, don't worry

Utrommaniac
12-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Yeah, twenty isn't a really big deal...and my twenty-first was far from thrilling either.

I had lunch with my mom, brothers, and a lady I was working with at a German restaurant, and what did I get for my first legal boozing?

Really bitter wine.

CyberCubed
12-03-2017, 09:36 PM
You're not old until you hit the big 3-0. Then you wonder where your youth has gone.

Cure
12-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Being young is overrated. I'd rather be working with responsibilities than be in school with homework.

newfan
12-04-2017, 01:26 AM
Happy Birthday Papenbrook.

Some people have a problem with getting older, from a young age, it just means we spend time worrying about being old when we are not, until we are.
As mentioned above, I'd choose my 20's over late teens.

Prowler
12-04-2017, 03:51 AM
Happy Birthday Papenbrook.

Some people have a problem with getting older, from a young age, it just means we spend time worrying about being old when we are not, until we are.
As mentioned above, I'd choose my 20's over late teens.
yeah my early 20s were far from being great but they were better than my teens.

I thought 20s would be the time of my life where I'd peak, but I'm 27 and still don't think like I did. I hope the next 10-20 years of my life are better than my previous 7 years. It'd suck if life got worse after you turn 25.

newfan
12-04-2017, 04:31 AM
It'd suck if life got worse after you turn 25.

I don't think it does, it depends on your life at that point rather than your age.
I did something that I had wanted to do in life when I was 26/27. We all have our phases and life can change unexpectedly for good or bad.
I think the time points that stand out to me as happy phases in adult life are 20, 27 and 31/32.

Prowler
12-04-2017, 04:50 AM
I don't think it does, it depends on your life at that point rather than your age.
I did something that I had wanted to do in life when I was 26/27. We all have our phases and life can change unexpectedly for good or bad.
I think the time points that stand out to me as happy phases in adult life are 20, 27 and 31/32.

Well everyone is different. Some people didn't have very nice childhoods or 20s.

Tbh most older people I've met wouldn't really want to go back to their youth days. They only miss their bodies and health from that time period. :lol:. Also, the older you get, the more your views change on what's "old" and "young". My maternal grandmother died when she was 88 or something. She considered people in their 40s and even 50s "young". She referred to lots of women in their early 50s as "girls".

newfan
12-04-2017, 05:22 AM
Well everyone is different. Some people didn't have very nice childhoods or 20s.

Tbh most older people I've met wouldn't really want to go back to their youth days. They only miss their bodies and health from that time period. :lol:. Also, the older you get, the more your views change on what's "old" and "young". My maternal grandmother died when she was 88 or something. She considered people in their 40s and even 50s "young". She referred to lots of women in their early 50s as "girls".

Yeah I was told I was a baby by an older person the other week :)

Sadly yes, not everyone experiences a happy childhood/youth.
Also, I think you have a point about some people just wanting to be physically young too, I don't have a problem with the timepoint in life itself nor do I need or want to be in my early 20s, I would just have liked time to slow a bit in recent years :)

Prowler
12-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Yeah I was told I was a baby by an older person the other week :)

Sadly yes, not everyone experiences a happy childhood/youth.
Also, I think you have a point about some people just wanting to be physically young too, I don't have a problem with the timepoint in life itself nor do I need or want to be in my early 20s, I would just have liked time to slow a bit in recent years :)

The only people who think I'm old are people aged 18-24. Tbh when i was 16 I also found people around 25-30 to be "old" and quite grown up.

I can't help but notice people younger than 23 look very young and immature. Which is odd to me since I think I have looked the same since I was 18-19 or so and pretty much everyone assumes I'm about 4 years younger than my actual age. Last year, some 20 year old girl was pretty surprised when I told her I was 26 years old. She said I looked "pretty young" for my age... although I doubt she knows what a person aged 26 looks like. Did she expect me to have wrinkles and a beer belly already or something? Plus my hair is slightly receding already. So how can I look like I'm in my early 20s still? :lol: