PDA

View Full Version : Two loose ends: Mutagen Man & April's Mother

Bishop123
09-13-2017, 10:20 AM
It has been confirmed that neither will be addressed in the finale arc. Thus, this will leave the show with two glaring loose ends when it's over: the fates of Timothy/Mutagen Man and April's mom. Granted, these may not be big deals to some, but I know there are some out there who may care about both.

I suppose someone could ask one of the crew members if they had any resolution or fates planned for either, or one of them could tell us on their own. Until then though, I guess we can use this topic to speculate what happened to either of them (and in April's mom's case, backstory), or guess why they were never given onscreen closures, whether it had been behind the scenes problems or them just not knowing what to do with either.

In regards to Mutagen Man, Donnie did say in The Invasion Part 2 that Timothy "would defrost in about 70 years" (assuming that 70 wasn't a rough guess), and since the finale arc takes place only 50 years instead of 70...yeah, there's your explanation of why we won't see Tim again. April's mom is a big question mark though. Regardless of what became of her in the 50 year time skip, we're not going to learn more about her.

And I know you can probably just easily say "well they probably both died off-screen due to the time skip lol", but I'm not sure how satisfying of a conclusion that would be to some.

neatoman
09-13-2017, 10:38 AM
I get the general vibe that this show didn't really plan ahead that much and just left a bunch of loose threads in case they ran out of ideas.

Utrommaniac
09-13-2017, 10:42 AM
April's mom (and half-alien origins) really should have been a pretty big focus.

Soooo, I'm just going to declare April's mother as a human who knew about the Kraang & Utroms like Kutzman and agreed to help them by hosting an Utrom hybrid (maybe an Utrom mitochondria?) without informing her husband.

I mean, who's to say April wasn't conceived by IVF? It would be a good way to slip in that alien bit while convincing Kirby that a different mitochondria would protect her from inheriting certain genetic problems from her mother.

Then the Kraang got wind of what happened and tried to turn it to their advantage.

victory_angel
09-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Or it could be that April's mother didn't exist. There is a thread speculating on that.

DestronMirage22
09-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Considering the show's track record, did you honestly expect anything different?

newfan
09-14-2017, 12:01 AM
There's just too much to fit into 3 eps. I always assumed April's mom was killed by the Kraang after experiments (though that means no closure for her) and If they defrosted Mutagen man there would have to be screen time for him.
Apparently there are some loose ends, I'm more concerned with that being the some of the main characters.

Powder
09-14-2017, 12:47 AM
Guess it'll be up to fan works to suss that out. :tlol:

BubblyShell22
09-14-2017, 06:25 AM
I agree with Powder on that. I do think April's mom may have died after Kirby and April fled to New York. As for Timothy, he's just done. Maybe they were planning closure for them but after getting word that the show wasn't going to be renewed after season 5, they just decided to skip over it. Yes, it's a shame but we can always use fan fiction to fill in the blanks or make things better.

In one of my stories, I had her mom come back so that she would have that closure of knowing that her mom was okay and I had Tim return too.

Vegita-San
09-14-2017, 09:52 AM
just a nother bit of bad planning and writing.

if you wanted to make this show 'bigger and better' than anything that has come before it, tying up loose plot ends the audience is supposed to care about is a big part of that.

Hell, there could have been a whole season with the turtles de mutating all the mutants in the city with the anti mutagen, if they didn't make it such a rare thing to create.

this show just seemed to be a 'spur of the moment cool idea' series with not much future planning beyond basic season premise.

Shark_Blade
09-14-2017, 10:33 AM
My eulogy for Timothy:

Mutagen Man is dead, Timothy is dead.

He was an annoying dumbass as a human dragging people down, and a brainless monster attacking people as a mutant.

I never like him. So long poor excuse of a character.

-----

As for April's mom, I maintain my stance that she is a Kraang mutant that had sex with a human. April was born through her tentaculous vagina and has special abilities - among them being immune to mutagen itself.

Papenbrook
09-14-2017, 11:52 AM
My eulogy for Timothy:

He was an annoying dumbass as a human dragging people down, and a brainless monster attacking people as a mutant.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/e1/7b/2de17bb0e346f67c0fcf6c6b40387b5f.png

As for April's mom, I maintain my stance that she is a Kraang mutant that had sex with a human. April was born through her tentaculous vagina and has special abilities - among them being immune to mutagen itself.

http://s4.storage.akamai.coub.com/get/b60/p/coub/simple/cw_image/d43dcd17d35/addcc6dfff6866f546305/timeline_1491888606_00032.jpg

Utrommaniac
09-14-2017, 12:02 PM
...Well...she ought to have been an abnormally large Utrom because...there are so many ways that could have gone badly.

Vegita-San
09-14-2017, 12:13 PM
My eulogy for Timothy:

not that i don't disagree with the quoted above at least., but you just caused some show creators to go into a rage by posting that ;o)..

ToTheNines
09-14-2017, 03:44 PM
My eulogy for Timothy:

-----

You're so ****in stupid I can't believe it.

drag0nfeathers
09-14-2017, 03:47 PM
I was working on a fan fic for a while that suggested that April's mother was also a scientist and that she had met Kirby through work, but her field was more in biological sciences. She had gotten the chance to work for the prestigious TCRI doing secret research and as she became more and more obsessed with her research with mutagen she actually used her newborn child as a test subject, becoming more psychologically twisted as time went on. Long story short that was why April was born with the powers she possesses and Kirby had run away with April when he learned what she had done to their child. Also gives some reasoning as to why the guy is so phobic of the Kraang and overprotective of April all the time, etc.

That is just one part of it... I wrote most of it during a bad time in my life and it some aspects of it got pretty grim... I still work on it here and there but it's gotten to be over 100 chapters, but that was my take on April's mom anyway. I also had a gimmick worked in where she had 11 other sisters all named after the other months of the year and they all had different powers, but way more tragic backstories of lives with the Kraang that left them all a bit deranged.

It would have been nice to at least get a little closure on Mutagen Man/Timothy though. I guess we're to assume he was cured with retro-mutagen at some point and it just was never mentioned? Maybe he will get some kind of cameo at the end, even if in just the background of something to suggest Donnie cured him, but I doubt it .

CyberCubed
09-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Considering the show's track record, did you honestly expect anything different?

Why do you keep posting stuff like this when you don't even watch the show? What track record? Pretty much all the major plotlines and characters have been wrapped up besides these.

Autbot_Benz
09-14-2017, 06:22 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/e1/7b/2de17bb0e346f67c0fcf6c6b40387b5f.png

http://s4.storage.akamai.coub.com/get/b60/p/coub/simple/cw_image/d43dcd17d35/addcc6dfff6866f546305/timeline_1491888606_00032.jpg

are you retarded or something what is with you and posting stupid sonic pictures. go back to tumblr you tard.

https://i.imgur.com/8bN11LY.gif

My eulogy for Timothy:

-----

Same goes for you your stupid but not as bad as Papenbrook

Papenbrook
09-14-2017, 10:49 PM
are you retarded or something what is with you and posting stupid sonic pictures. go back to tumblr you tard.

https://i.imgur.com/8bN11LY.gif

Same goes for you your stupid but not as bad as Papenbrook

:lol:

https://static.tumblr.com/a2fa1febd9cba1fd7353bd1eab6ca724/f634zkm/fomojkyqe/tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.png

CyberCubed
09-15-2017, 11:47 AM
So, guys....Brandon Auman just confirmed April's mother is dead. So that settles this loose end. He said it in his reply on instragram, some minor spoilers for the last 3 episodes if you want to look:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/2e617c7a0d4156dfe226ce5e2e88e6a9/tumblr_owbn5gzYj31soe3kdo1_400.jpg

Coola Yagami
09-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Doesn't count unless we see it in the show.

The show was cool but far from perfect. I love how season 2 was all about finding the mutagen and it was forgotten about like 3 episodes later.

I also like how they just randomly had April in the lair without showing how she met Splinter.

When are we getting that OT Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady epidode?

CyberCubed
09-15-2017, 02:40 PM
. I love how season 2 was all about finding the mutagen and it was forgotten about like 3 episodes later.

Season 2 was never about finding all the mutagen, we settled this before. The mutagen canister leak was to explain where all the new mutants were popping out from. The Turtles can't scour millions of miles of New York looking for mutagen canisters.

I also like how they just randomly had April in the lair without showing how she met Splinter.

She met him off-screen. It's not a big deal.

ToTheNines
09-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Ok, her mom is dead... April's origin still adds up to a bunch of question marks.

CyberCubed
09-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Kirby worked for the Kraang, he and his wife either visited or were abducted by the Kraang at some point. The Kraang experimented on her, she gave birth to April, then her mother died...then they tried to clone her and she became a monster, etc.

PApagreg
09-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Kirby worked for the Kraang, he and his wife either visited or were abducted by the Kraang at some point. The Kraang experimented on her, she gave birth to April, then her mother died...then they tried to clone her and she became a monster, etc.
Why did Kirby worked for the Kraang the dude was a psychologist,why the Oneals of all people, are there more people like April and if not why did it take this long for them to make a person like April, and why exactly is April key to taking over the universe I know they said her mind was the center of the "universe" but what does that mean exactly

Ninturtle
09-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Doesn't count unless we see it in the show.

The show was cool but far from perfect. I love how season 2 was all about finding the mutagen and it was forgotten about like 3 episodes later.

When are we getting that OT Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady epidode?
The new crossover is already out on DVD, not sure when it's airing but it's available online.

CyberCubed
09-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Why did Kirby worked for the Kraang the dude was a psychologist,why the Oneals of all people, are there more people like April and if not why did it take this long for them to make a person like April, and why exactly is April key to taking over the universe I know they said her mind was the center of the "universe" but what does that mean exactly

The Kraang had many humans working for them, even Snakeweed did in his human form in the first episode. April being the first human/Kraang hybrid due to experimentation on her mother is likely why they considered her so special. April didn't get those telepathic powers out of nowhere.

PApagreg
09-15-2017, 04:10 PM
The Kraang had many humans working for them, even Snakeweed did in his human form in the first episode.

That doesn't answer my question why did Kirby worked for the Kraang, was it because of money was he in hard times when did he find out the Kraang were up to no good, how long has he been on the run.

April being the first human/Kraang hybrid due to experimentation on her mother is likely why they considered her so special. April didn't get those telepathic powers out of nowhere.
So how long have they been making Kraang hybrids, and again why are the O neals so damn important what do they have in their DNA that makes them so unique compared to the billions of people on the Earth.

ToTheNines
09-15-2017, 04:29 PM
That doesn't answer my question why did Kirby worked for the Kraang, was it because of money was he in hard times when did he find out the Kraang were up to no good, how long has he been on the run.

So how long have they been making Kraang hybrids, and again why are the O neals so damn important what do they have in their DNA that makes them so unique compared to the billions of people on the Earth.

Right. Something about April being "the one" made her DNA the key to making their mutagen work right on Earth, but if they created April so many years ago, why not just make another Kraang-Human hybrid instead of hunting her down? And why did it take them 16 years to find her? It's not like they were laying low. They lived openly in NYC and didn't bother to change their names or anything.

The frustrating thing is that Kirby knows way more than he's ever been willing to divulge. I understand "protecting her from the truth" growing up, but after the events of season 1, why continue to keep secrets?

Surely she would have had a conversation with him about Mom-thing after Battle for New York. I guess the writers knew there was a lot of holes in the story and just chose to abandon that whole plot.

miru
09-18-2017, 05:02 PM
For MM, until the writers say something, I'll assume toe freezing process eventually killed him, or that the Krang were able to terminate his life functions.

Shiro Kame
09-18-2017, 09:37 PM
That's what I absolutely HATED about this show. It brought in new characters and plot points constantly to the point that they either were abandoned, or got resolved in an unsatisfying way due to being rushed or being done off-screen. It, along with the characters getting flanderized made me quit caring when the space arc aired.

Coola Yagami
09-19-2017, 03:08 PM
That's what I absolutely HATED about this show. It brought in new characters and plot points constantly to the point that they either were abandoned, or got resolved in an unsatisfying way due to being rushed or being done off-screen. It, along with the characters getting flanderized made me quit caring when the space arc aired.

*Inb4 Cubed says 'lol what, this show is perfect with 0 flaws, lock this thread'*

Vegita-San
09-19-2017, 03:20 PM
*Inb4 Cubed says 'lol what, this show is perfect with 0 flaws, lock this thread'*

you can't take away the g uys thunder. he lives for these moments.

oh well, I guess someone can always come in and call me a troll. that seems to be a new favorite pass time for the over emotional :).

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 04:02 PM

LOL, what? You seem bizarrely angry for a show that wrapped up all it's main plot points and characters. The only loose ends are with minor secondary or third tier characters.

Also if you're laughably claiming you quit back during the space arc in Season 4, then you have absolutely no clue of how the rest of the show has been handled and all the character arcs that have been concluded. So why even say such a thing if you haven't watched the rest of the episodes?

Come back to us after you've watched all of Season 4 and 5, then you'll have a valid opinion.

Drose18
09-20-2017, 06:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the only reason April has seemingly limitless "mind powers" is for plot relief because the writers were too lazy. That has been my by far biggest problem with this show, the amount of times April saves the day by doing some crazy mind power move that we didn't even know she could do. The most annoying thing is when she says "I can sense...' just to continue the plot. Its lazy writing and it has totally derailed the show for me. The episode with her mother in the spaceship in the basement of that house or whatever was so interesting it doesn't surprise me in the least that they refuse to expand on it.

BubblyShell22
09-20-2017, 06:27 AM
No, I think they did have more in store for her, but they probably couldn't do it because of the network and what they wanted. Remember how they said Mutagen Man would play a big role in season 2 and people complained that he didn't do much? That's probably because they did have plans for him but the network stepped in and nixed that.

I had mixed feelings about her powers, but now I don't mind them.

Vegita-San
09-20-2017, 08:42 AM
I'm pretty sure the only reason April has seemingly limitless "mind powers" is for plot relief because the writers were too lazy. That has been my by far biggest problem with this show, the amount of times April saves the day by doing some crazy mind power move that we didn't even know she could do. The most annoying thing is when she says "I can sense...' just to continue the plot. Its lazy writing and it has totally derailed the show for me. The episode with her mother in the spaceship in the basement of that house or whatever was so interesting it doesn't surprise me in the least that they refuse to expand on it.

It's sad.

For a show supposedly being run by devoted fans, why would they not put their best effort forward and make it seem like they give a damn about plot and resolving things? they seemed more interested in trying to work in cool monster shows to the point of even bringing dracula into the damn series..

smh...

newfan
09-20-2017, 08:57 AM
It's sad.

For a show supposedly being run by devoted fans, why would they not put their best effort forward and make it seem like they give a damn about plot and resolving things? they seemed more interested in trying to work in cool monster shows to the point of even bringing dracula into the damn series..

smh...

I guess it depends on your view of the show, some people think they have put love into it, other's not. The monster arc was supposed to just be a fun one off tale, not sure it needed 4 eps but it was okay.

As for April's powers, mixed on that, at least the extent of them anyway. I think they did that to make something more of her, seen as she was only training throughout the series and when finally a Kunoich, still only just trained.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 11:37 AM
It's sad.

smh...

They put plenty of work and effort into the show, you just don't care and sit there acting like you have no idea what goes on and forget what happens week after week. Throughout the entire show you kept saying things like, "I don't remember" or "When did this happen?" and it had nothing to do with the show itself, either the real-life breaks or you just weren't paying attention.

Shiro Kame
09-20-2017, 02:18 PM
LOL, what? You seem bizarrely angry for a show that wrapped up all it's main plot points and characters. The only loose ends are with minor secondary or third tier characters.

Also if you're laughably claiming you quit back during the space arc in Season 4, then you have absolutely no clue of how the rest of the show has been handled and all the character arcs that have been concluded. So why even say such a thing if you haven't watched the rest of the episodes?

Come back to us after you've watched all of Season 4 and 5, then you'll have a valid opinion.

Actually, I have been watching the show. I just don't watch new episodes as soon as they come out. What I meant by "quit", I meant that I stopped being a fan and just watched casually since it nearly killed my love for TMNT. My opinion is still valid. They handled Newtralizer and Dreg HORRIBLY.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 02:23 PM
They handled Newtralizer and Dreg HORRIBLY.

Really? Newtralizer wasn't even a character in his first episode (he didn't even speak), and the second episode just had him properly introduced as a ex-convict from the salamander race or whatever he was. Then in his final appearance he came back for revenge and worked with Dregg. How was he handled "horribly" that you put it in all caps?

As for Dregg, he was an insectoid warlord that got more and more insane with revenge against the Turtles. He came to Earth for one final assault and died. What were you expecting?

GoldMutant
09-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Really? Newtralizer wasn't even a character in his first episode (he didn't even speak), and the second episode just had him properly introduced as a ex-convict from the salamander race or whatever he was. Then in his final appearance, he came back for revenge and worked with Dregg. How was he handled "horribly" that you put it in all caps?

As for Dregg, he was an insectoid warlord that got more and more insane with revenge against the Turtles. He came to Earth for one final assault and died. What were you expecting?

I haven't seen When Worlds Collide (personally doesn't interest me), but the problem is Newtrailizer had so much potential. He easily could've been a reoccurring villain or anti-hero depending on how the story was handled. The major problem was that he was underutilized. When he did appear, stuff went down; not as dangerous as Rat King personally, but still hectic. However, after his appearance in Newtrailized! (back in mid-season 2), he then reappears suddenly despite being gone for almost more than a third to half the series. I'm aware of the electrocution giving him power based on the scene, it just wasn't clear. (If it was explained, correct me please.)

There were a lot of possibilities to use him in the series. An appearance with the Salamanderians was something a lot of people had hoped for and didn't happen. I know it's due to his voice actor, Danny Trejo, but it's still a disappointment. The same logic for Newtrailizer can be applied to Mutagen Man as well.

As for Dregg... his motive sucked. The number one rule I've learned as an actor is to have motivation and reason for your objective despite conflicts. Besides the spice being a reference to drugs (ex: Star Wars), what exactly was the purpose? His motive was lacking. Additionally, I personally couldn't stand when Peter Stormare sounded whiney, it was irritating. Add in a lack of clarification for his robot replica in Evil of Dregg and his survival after The Ever-Burning Fire and Dregg is easily one of, if not the weakest antagonist of the entire series. I of course mean main villains when I say that (Shredder, The Foot, Kraang, Triceratons, Kavaxas, and him. Maybe more too.).

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Newtralizer was never treated as an important character to begin with. His first episode is towards the end of Season 1 where he doesn't even speak, he's treated just as a random creature who goes around eating Kraang. Then in his second episode, it was mostly about Slash making peace with Raphael and the other Turtles and becoming their ally. That was the ep where he revealed he was part of a salamander race and ex-convict.

While I do think Newtralizer should have appeared in the space arc, overall I don't see the problem. He wasn't much more than a salamander bounty hunter, there really isn't anything else they could have done with him. We also had Armaggon in the space arc who essentially had his own role.

Dregg being insane and going crazy over the Turtles held true to what his character became in the original cartoon in Season 10. Dregg's character is that the Turtles drive him insane from a warlord to a guy who goes out of his way just to destroy them. And Dregg's motive wasn't just that he was bumped into by them in the first space arc ep, the other eps show him and his insectoid army on planets and ships looking to cultivate the galaxy. That's also what he actually does when he comes to Earth, since he puts a bunch of humans in wasps nests and was going to terraform the Earth to one of his insectoid domains.

GoldMutant
09-20-2017, 03:22 PM
While I do think Newtralizer should have appeared in the space arc, overall I don't see the problem. He wasn't much more than a salamander bounty hunter, there really isn't anything else they could have done with him. We also had Armaggon in the space arc who essentially had his own role.

You clearly missed the point I made despite describing what he exactly did the whole series.

Newtrailizer was arguably one of, if not, the best new character this series introduced. He could've done a lot more for the story. For example, if he hated the Kraang so much, why couldn't he have attempted to fight them following The Invasion? I'm not saying make him a hero, but at least a temporary ally during the conflict alongside the Mutanimals. It's why I liked seeing Shredder and Splinter teaming up in Annihilation: Earth despite the ending. It was something barely done before and made for an exciting scenario.

The same can apply to the space arc too. Why not a brief showing that Dregg has Newtrailizer with him, like a contact or something? Hint at his eventual return due to this. Play with his connection to his people.

Ultimately, the characters who don't do much (or are main hero/villains) or are supporting end up being beloved. Boba Fett from Star Wars did very little and several fans loved him is the main example. It doesn't anger me, but it does make me a bit disappointed that he had more untapped potential.

Dregg being insane and going crazy over the Turtles held true to what his character became in the original cartoon in Season 10. Dregg's character is that the Turtles drive him insane from a warlord to a guy who goes out of his way just to destroy them. And Dregg's motive wasn't just that he was bumped into by them in the first space arc ep, the other eps show him and his insectoid army on planets and ships looking to cultivate the galaxy. That's also what he actually does when he comes to Earth, since he puts a bunch of humans in wasps nests and was going to terraform the Earth to one of his insectoid domains.

This version Dregg lacks any insanity from FW and instead, to paraphrase Alice in Wonderland, "a pompous, bad-tempered old tyrant" (Cheshire Cat). I've seen FW Dregg and know he has a serious menace to him. I attribute that to Tony Jay or change of tone from the Red Sky seasons though.

Again, as I've said, I did not watch When Worlds Collide (his last episode) and I am not interested in it. I may watch it at some point, but it just doesn't appeal to me (even if the concept of his invasion is cool). However, the spice is what inspired him to go after the Turtles for ruining his sale, subsequently his name in the process. Any form of insanity boils down to a child trying to fix what cannot be mended. Otherwise, he just doesn't have much to him; if he had a bigger role in season 4 instead of being primarily a hindrance, maybe I wouldn't have as much a problem with him. Where it stands though, you could really run most of the space arc without Dregg as he barely did anything noteworthy.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 03:44 PM
I don't recall anyone being that impressed by Newtralizer besides liking his design when he first appeared. As I've said, he didn't even have a personality or character in his debut episode. His Season 2 episode fleshed him out a bit, but even then it wasn't that much to go on. Could they have done other things with him? Sure, but then that's just going into fanfiction territory. You can say the same thing about any character then.

Dregg's character was focused on a lot in the space eps, he had the most appearances in them than any other character besides the Triceratons. We saw his ambitions, his plans, his motives. It's just that Dregg himself is a bit of a conceited moron, and he let his revenge for the Turtles blind him to what he was doing. And since you said you didn't watch his last appearance, he basically tried to conquer the Earth.