PDA

View Full Version : The FAKE news machine

Andrew NDB
09-13-2017, 12:32 PM
http://money.cnn.com/interactive/media/the-macedonia-story/

This is an interesting article about a guy literally making a living drumming up FAKE news stories.

IndigoErth
09-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Ironic given the side that screams of "fake news" more often come from.

If this "fake news" crap was little more than stupid tabloid type nonsense, I wouldn't care all that much. Have at it. But purposely using, abusing, and trying to screw with a country's elections and political well being, for your own favor or simple profit, should be an offense that they have total right to go after you for.

Too bad Macedonia, or at least the Veles part of it, is probably such a small nothing of a place that the same can't be thrown back at them.

at least four of his students are millionaires
Rich off of Americans' stupidity. They're raking it in and buying expensive cars, while we'll be here paying for a wall that won't really do any good. Good job, America. You can't get yourself better income, and even fight against increases in pay, and these guys in a broke, nothing town half around the world are buying Mercedes.

Although this article coming from CNN... how do those who yell "fake news" about them handle such "fake news" about "fake news"? :lol: Does it deepen the depth of the fakeness? Does one cancel the other out? What if it's pro the guy they support?

TurtleWA
09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Political propaganda is not a new thing. How about no more political advertising period. Let people go to candidates official websites and read official policy positions.

Andrew NDB
09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
How about no more political advertising period. Let people go to candidates official websites and read official policy positions.

I think that's actually a really, really good idea.

Redeemer
09-13-2017, 03:06 PM
http://money.cnn.com/interactive/media/the-macedonia-story/

This is an interesting article about a guy literally making a living drumming up FAKE news stories.

Andrew could you not have picked another source besides CNN?? :lol: They just had to let go of a dozen employees for a fake story they were publishing :lol:
This is the definition of Irony.

But yes it would be nice if the Mud-slinging would stop and news channel stick with ethical practices.
But if we do not allow political advertising then I think even less people would turn out for voting which is pathetic as is.

TurtleWA
09-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Andrew could you not have picked another source besides CNN?? :lol: They just had to let go of a dozen employees for a fake story they were publishing :lol:
This is the definition of Irony.

But yes it would be nice if the Mud-slinging would stop and news channel stick with ethical practices.
But if we do not allow political advertising then I think even less people would turn out for voting which is pathetic as is.

If political advertising needs to stay for voter turn out then have only official ads allowed. So all ads can be tracked back to the campaign easily. Make the amount of ads limited but also free. No financial incentive for Networks or Facebook to sell several ads without checking sources. No financial incentive for people to create fake stories.

It's sad that presidential campaigns need to be hyped like sporting events in order to gain interest. We could just skip the paid ads and still inform people with official policy updates sent through the mail as well.

The debate format needs reform too. Like maybe all proceeds go to charity or paying down the national debt. Take the profit incentive away from the Networks. Networks make unbelievably profits during the political season and their employees get caught in the middle. Careers are made and broken.

snake
09-13-2017, 04:34 PM
All news is fake news.

Refractive Reflections
09-13-2017, 11:37 PM
lol, I didn't know CNN was working on an autobiography.

https://grrrgraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/wheel-of-fake-news-ben-garrison-cartoon-1024x793.jpg

plastroncafe
09-14-2017, 07:27 AM
Considering one of our most hallowed founding fathers started the New York Post just so he could shitpost about people in government he didn't like, I think it's fair to say that bias in journalism isn't anything new.

And we combat that by requiring our news sources to be vetted and peer-reviewed. Not by dismissing things we don't like to hear as fake news, which is apparently Newspeak for lies and falsehoods.

Leofan26
09-14-2017, 11:58 AM
The only news I have trouble listening too is Washington Post, half of the time it seems like to be spreading rumors about Trump till confirmed other wise. It's not like that Russia stories will help us any ways, Republican Party seems pretty dead seat on keeping him in office no matter what happens. Even him double crossing them ( Which I actually applause him for ) To help Texas, not even a fan of Trump but that says a lot about there standards. Wonder what would have happened to Nixon had he had the watergate scandal happened during this time? Would they have had the nerve to stand up to him and impeach him?

Refractive Reflections
09-14-2017, 01:29 PM
For these news organizations, they don't seem to feel that they need any introspection in understanding a difference between hearing news the others don't want to hear versus a news organization boasting of being "the most trusted" news while using extortion, using hearsay as support for their political accusations, and have persistent inaccurate insights from supposedly "credible" pundits all to support a predetermined narrative.

kl8vMTOV4R0
7-IlRgzMoH0
SqkeGDmXHbo
CF-Qqa_e7WM

plastroncafe
09-14-2017, 01:50 PM
OH!
You don't know the difference between journalists and pundits.
It all makes sense now!

TurtleWA
09-14-2017, 02:26 PM
I think everyone can agree Ron Burgundy is the greatest journalist of our time and a true legend.

Powder
09-14-2017, 03:03 PM
I think everyone can agree Ron Burgundy is the greatest journalist of our time and a true legend.

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/characters/images/f/f1/BEaVOPm.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150616142331

TurtleWA
09-14-2017, 03:06 PM
i stand corrected

plastroncafe
09-14-2017, 03:07 PM
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/superman/images/0/0a/Clarkkent-secretorigin.jpg

Two Pulitzer Prizewinner right here.

BubblyShell22
09-14-2017, 03:17 PM
I just find it astounding that since Trump has taken office, the media has had the most bias with him than with anyone else. Look at the sh*t Obama did during his term and nobody ever questioned him on anything. But here's Trump and they want to scrutinize everything he does and everything he says. It's like they have nothing better to do than to obsess over him.

TurtleWA
09-14-2017, 03:36 PM
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/superman/images/0/0a/Clarkkent-secretorigin.jpg

Two Pulitzer Prizewinner right here.

But my guy is a five-time (local) Emmy award-winning journalist. Not to mention the Ron Burgundy School of Communication. Which is a school in Boston named after him. :)

plastroncafe
09-14-2017, 04:01 PM
I just find it astounding that since Trump has taken office, the media has had the most bias with him than with anyone else. Look at the sh*t Obama did during his term and nobody ever questioned him on anything. But here's Trump and they want to scrutinize everything he does and everything he says. It's like they have nothing better to do than to obsess over him.

This is astoundingly incorrect.
But a fabulous troll.

I would give it a 9/10.

The Deadman
09-14-2017, 04:11 PM

Fox News tried calling him out a lot and Obama actually criticized them for it while MSNBC and CNN were on his side.

mrmaczaps
09-14-2017, 08:42 PM

I'm going to wait for people to attack you like the do me for this... but I'm not holding my breath....

And just in case that troll pops up, I voted 3rd party not for Trumpkins.

Autbot_Benz
09-14-2017, 08:47 PM

https://i.imgur.com/YSulrRt.jpg

well if Trump wasn't such an incompetent moron maybe the news would back off. but instead he is the laughing stock of the world

BubblyShell22
09-15-2017, 07:38 AM
This is astoundingly incorrect.
But a fabulous troll.

I would give it a 9/10.

Well, maybe the cable news did, but most of the other news outlets never said anything bad about Obama and just let him do what he wanted as far as I could tell.

Fox News tried calling him out a lot and Obama actually criticized them for it while MSNBC and CNN were on his side.

I don't watch those channels, but this definitely doesn't surprise me.

I'm going to wait for people to attack you like the do me for this... but I'm not holding my breath....

And just in case that troll pops up, I voted 3rd party not for Trumpkins.

Well, they're trying to attack me, but they aren't doing a very good job at it. I don't care though. You know people on here are extremely one-sided in their opinions and if you don't conform to them, they'll just hate you.

plastroncafe
09-15-2017, 07:43 AM
I think that's the closest I've ever seen you come to admitting you were wrong, Larry.

I'm impressed.

It would be interesting to see people of all political flavors take the time to dissect an opinion written on a specific byline. Really dig in with scientific rigour.

I mean I'm as liberal Progressive as they come, but even I will fully admit CNN is to blame for cable news being front and center in the pundit market.

If we're not going to really care about countries outside of the United States, there's only so much news to go around and so CNN had to start padding their 24-hour news cycle.

That led to a lot of other cable news networks doing the same thing but with pundits from other areas of the political Spectrum.

Making matters worse is the fact that websites turn a profit for every click that they get. There are some I just refuse to visit, because I don't want to contribute to their profit margin, but it's really hard to provide peer review and other way.

BubblyShell22
09-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Never said I was wrong, but think what you want because you just hear what you want to hear. I just said that maybe cable news criticized him, but I know NBC never did. I watch the Today Show and all I hear is scrutiny about Trump all over that place and probably over all the other big media outlets too. With Obama, I never heard that in his entire term. They worshiped him even though he did wrong.

You can keep trying to attack me, but you won't win. I'm just laughing at your little barbs.

plastroncafe
09-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Reading is fundamental.

oldmanwinters
09-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Clark Kent and Peter Parker have seriously compromised journalistic credibility. Consider all the stories they've done on their costumed alter-egos. It's a clear conflict of interest. They make their own news and then they make a career covering those same events from a supposedly objective point of view. And Lois Lane has been known to be romantically involved with both Kent and Superman.

DestronMirage22
09-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Clark Kent and Peter Parker have seriously compromised journalistic credibility. Consider all the stories they've done on their costumed alter-egos. It's a clear conflict of interest. They make their own news and then they make a career covering those same events from a supposedly objective point of view. And Lois Lane has been known to be romantically involved with both Kent and Superman.

Huh.
You're onto something there.

plastroncafe
09-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Okay, in light of these very legit concerns, does this mean the Daily Bugle and Daily Planet aren't credible as a result?

And what of April and Channel 6?

TurtleWA
09-15-2017, 11:42 AM
"Fish rots from the head down" comes to mind. Accountability on the largest possible scale is important, but so is personal accountability.

Refractive Reflections
09-21-2017, 08:57 PM
OH!
You don't know the difference between journalists and pundits.
It all makes sense now!

...And apparently you don't seem to understand the insinuations of a network's bias when a majority of the invited pundits clearly support one side or another, and present a majority of stories (especially if they are conjecture) that support one side or another, while under the guise of pretending to be unbiased.

In addition to selectively editing their news clips to support a predetermined narrative...
https://i.redditmedia.com/XAv55YJ3zXiAaW7HTJ5jsV23zEEwkcdbs_Z6s6T9Cd4.jpg?w= 512&
ZQei9cy8RF8
EZNjlpLU5Bk
...But then again, that would be actually assuming you do keep track of these nuances in news on different networks. ...Which may not be a strength of yours. (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=1620476&postcount=2651)

CNN President Jeffrey Zucker tried to dispel his network's liberal reputation in a Tuesday interview with Variety's Ramin Setoodeh. Zucker underlined that "if everybody is a little upset at the end of the day, we're probably doing our job." Setoodeh spotlighted that "part of that job, per Zucker's mandate, also has been to make CNN feel fair to viewers in red states." He added that "Zucker...tries to keep the coverage impartial. 'I think our air, as opposed to others', is truly fair and balanced,' Zucker says."
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/matthew-balan/2016/08/03/cnn-president-ludicrously-claims-network-truly-fair-and-balanced

plastroncafe
09-21-2017, 09:22 PM
Hooray!
More random youtube clips created by folks with no credentials to watch!

Ballsy of you to link to something from the Disintergrator unit though.
I'll give you that much.

sdp
09-21-2017, 10:07 PM
I wrote an article on how the term FAKE NEWS evolved over time from the beginning of the presidential race to know, if anyone is interested (https://miscrave.com/articles/fake-news/). Feedback is appreciated.

In other more amusing news, anyone remember the episode of Bart pretending to be a kid that got stuck in a well and it turned out to be FAKE NEWS? Life imitates art, after the earthquake that hit Mexico City one of the television stations created a story about a little girl waiting to be rescued, it even made international news, yesterday (thursday) the channel spent hours reporting on who this little girl was that they were trying to save from the rubble and the hours of trying to get to her, heck when there were moments of silence at the scene, even the reporters in the studio remained silent as if they were there to add to the effect and this story moved the nation. FAKE NEWS. Today the company kept doing damage report after creating this huge story of a little girl that didn't exist. This is only a brief synopsis of what happened but boy oh boy was it one hot mess.

Refractive Reflections
09-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Hooray!
More random youtube clips created by folks with no credentials to watch!

Ballsy of you to link to something from the Disintergrator unit though.
I'll give you that much.

If you believe posting the actual news clips of what CNN presents compared to what other sources and clips documenting the same incident isn't worth investigating (even comparing CNN's own earlier news reports and viewpoints), then by all means, enjoy the one-sided information presented to you by the corporate news media plastroncafe. The mainstream news already has so much credence from the accuracy of the last election...
https://pics.onsizzle.com/huffington-post-huffingtonpost-nov-7-h-our-apollsterpolls-model-gives-6321941.png

By your response, it wouldn't be surprising if you weren't aware of a federal judge ruling that a hospital's CEO defamation lawsuit against CNN can move forward:

On Wednesday, Federal District Judge Orinda Evans ruled that the case could move forward, even ruling that she found that CNN may have acted with “actual malice” with the report — a standard necessary to prove a defamation claim.

“The Court finds these allegations sufficient to establish that CNN was acting recklessly with regard to the accuracy of its report, i.e., with ‘actual malice,” the order reads. CNN had tried to get the case dismissed.
https://lawnewz.com/uncategorized/hospital-ceo-wins-major-court-ruling-after-accusing-cnn-of-false-reporting/

As for the link to the Disintegrator Unit, I wouldn't say it's ballsy, I would just say it's a possible personality trait of yours here on the forums.