PDA

View Full Version : Turtles Forever vs the Nick crossovers

FredWolfLeonardo
09-13-2017, 09:11 PM
There was a thread like this before titled TransDimensional Turtles vs Turtles Forever but I'd be interested to see what people think when comparing Turtles Forever and all of the Nick crossovers overall, both equalling 1 hour, 20 minutes in total so its a more fair comparison.

TheCanadiandrome
09-13-2017, 11:49 PM
Nick hands down. Just better overall. Likely because the OT VOs were actually involved

Shark_Blade
09-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Nick.

The disrespectful pigs that made Turtles Forever can burn in the abyss forgotten for all time.

biganimefan
09-14-2017, 05:46 AM
Nick's portrayal was not "perfect" with the FW Turtles but it was closer to 80-85 % rather than the 30% or so from Turtles Forever. Probably one of the biggest issues I had with the recent crossover was the Turtles highly reluctant to use their weapons on the Foot Soldiers. The FW's had no problems slicing and dicing those robots. Another issue, is they had trouble with basic "training". They were NOT slackers(not usually anyway). Splinter would not have allowed that to go on for too long.

neatoman
09-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Just in terms of writing? Turtles Forever. It tied into the main storyline, Ch'rell had a clear goal, you felt more tension and you didn't go away from it feeling like it was a waste of time.

The Nick crossover are kind of forgettable and pointless, I could barely remember anything from the second one a few hours after I watched it. The first one breaks the flow of the space arc and is just kind of bizarre to watch, while the second one feels like it's at least 60% filler, pretty boring. Ironically the only parts I like about them are when they poke holes in the FW cartoon, which is about the only criticism some people here seems to have. Also, I don't think it was more "respectful" in any way, the FW character were still depicted as dumb and incompetent.

I've said my piece on the "insults" before, I just don't care if they were insulting (which I don't think they were, it's an exaggeration to say they were). The Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.

pferreira
09-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Nick.

The disrespectful pigs that made Turtles Forever can burn in the abyss forgotten for all time.You said it! :lol:

Also, I don't think it was more "respectful" in any way, the FW character were still depicted as dumb and incompetent.Whatever you say pal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4soeXHbSfGs&t=1s

The Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.http://welcometosandyland.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/brokenrecord.gif

Putting aside being a fan of the series, I think of it as the best quality kids' show that started in the 80's.The production and writing was I would say B level which is pretty damned good still.

biganimefan
09-14-2017, 09:02 AM
The Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.

Putting aside being a fan of the series, I think of it as the best quality kids' show that started in the 80's.

neatoman
09-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Putting aside being a fan of the series, I think of it as the best quality kids' show that started in the 80's.

Not a very high bar...

lqcBiC6QA14

Vegita-San
09-14-2017, 10:17 AM
JThe Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.

sigh..smh...

LeotheLateBloomer
09-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Turtles Forever. Other than having the original voice actors, Nick's second crossover didn't give the OT turtles any better treatment.

Nick.

The disrespectful pigs that made Turtles Forever can burn in the abyss forgotten for all time.

Really dude, what is wrong with you?:trolleye:

Vegita-San
09-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Turtles Forever was awesome.

they just needed to characterize the 80s turtles a bit better and get the original voice actors. would have been epic with a redub.

Andrew NDB
09-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Compared to the average kid cartoons today? FW TMNT is like Casablanca.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-14-2017, 12:30 PM
The vote seems to be far more evenly split this time while in the previous thread, it was about 60/40.

I'll admit, I like Turtles Forever more as a movie in general but as a tmnt fan looking for a tmnt crossover, I'd take the Nick ones anyday.

Utrommaniac
09-14-2017, 12:36 PM
I feel like it gave the OT Turtles just a little more dignity, personally. Sure, it did the "physics works differently in the other universe" thing, and the nervousness about being violent was more a jab at the parenting climate at the time.

So that made OT Leonardo's first taste of "actual" violence a lot more fun.

The Space Heroes discussion was pretty funny, when they say it's "live action" in the other universe and I'm just...trying to imagine what that means for them.

Papenbrook
09-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Nick.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/e1/7b/2de17bb0e346f67c0fcf6c6b40387b5f.png

Anyways, I would rather watch Turtles Forever. The Nick crossover is too stupid, even for me.

ABrown
09-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Not even close.

Powder
09-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Turtles Forever. Other than having the original voice actors, Nick's second crossover didn't give the OT turtles any better treatment.

This.

I've given people crap about their Turtles Forever whining, but at least you knew what you were getting up front with that. Nick gave us a good crossover episode with competent turtles, & then completely retconned them to useless idiots in the second one. They lose major points for that. Having the original voice cast made them very enjoyable all the same, but season 5's 3 parter left a bad taste in my mouth.

Turtle's forever has super high stakes, gave the Mirage turtles their first animated appearance, & was just overall more enjoyable for me.

neatoman
09-14-2017, 03:40 PM
This.

I've given people crap about their Turtles Forever whining, but at least you knew what you were getting up front with that. Nick gave us a good crossover episode with competent turtles, & then completely retconned them to useless idiots in the second one. They lose major points for that. Having the original voice cast made them very enjoyable all the same, but season 5's 3 parter left a bad taste in my mouth.

Turtle's forever has super high stakes, gave the Mirage turtles their first animated appearance, & was just overall more enjoyable for me.

I guess they are willing to accept any portrayal of FW Leo if he's voiced by Cam Clarke? I mostly just think of Clarke as the guy who spouted nonsense about genetic engineering and war for 10 minutes so I don't care who's voice it is.
LNBAfwh9VeY

Technogeek29
09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
I guess they are willing to accept any portrayal of FW Leo if he's voiced by Cam Clarke? I mostly just think of Clarke as the guy who spouted nonsense about genetic engineering and war for 10 minutes so I don't care who's voice it is.
LNBAfwh9VeY

Not me with the amount of complaints I had about OT Leonardo in my review of the special.

Wesley
09-14-2017, 04:07 PM
Turtles Forever. Other than having the original voice actors, Nick's second crossover didn't give the OT turtles any better treatment.:

Agreed. I thought Nick's first crossover was decent but didn't care much for the second one. Turtles Forever was better overall even though it had its own problems.

pferreira
09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Compared to the average kid cartoons today? FW TMNT is like Casablanca.It's a B list cartoon so it stacks up pretty good to today's stuff which isn't that great anyway.

Not a very high bar...

lqcBiC6QA14You're using one of the worst cartoons of the 80s as a comparison??? Watch more 80s cartoons! :roll:

CyberCubed
09-14-2017, 06:08 PM
They were both good, but Turtles Forever being the overall finale of the 2k3 series with Ch'rell returning and giving that series a proper ending makes me choose it. The Nick crossovers were fun too, no real complaints.

Everyone needs to get their heads examined when the say the Turtles were too incompetent at fighting. I've marathoned the original cartoon many times, have probably seen every episode 10 times or more, and the Turtles were never that good at fighting in the old show. Even in their most "competent" seasons, like Season 1, 7 or 8, etc. So it's an accurate portrayal when they go up against truly strong opponents.

Ninturtle
09-14-2017, 07:23 PM
I prefer Nick's portrayal of the FW turtles but prefer TF overall. I though the Wanted Bebop and Rocksteady special was one of the funniest episodes in a while, but the relevance of TF to 4kids story and the fact that it was the finale to the 2k3 series gives it the slight edge.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-15-2017, 03:10 AM
I've watched the 2nd crossover about 3 times now over the course of the last few days and I have to admit, I'm coming to like and appreciate it more every time.

Its pairs pretty well with TransDimensional Turtles played before it, and unlike many here, I think it actually pays alot of love and respect to the Original Toon Turtles.

Ulisa
09-15-2017, 10:40 AM
I really dunno if I can pick between them honestly. They all have flaws and strengths and what I despise about one, I love about the other. They seem like they have opposite pros and cons:

Turtles Forever--Excellent plot but poor character interaction(namely due to misrepresentation of the FW Turtles
NICK Crossovers--Lackluster plot but much improved character interactions

Neither one is perfect but I can enjoy each for different reasons. I guess I'd end up saying Turtles Forever because I can head-canon reasons why the FW Turtles ended up acting like they did but the NICK Crossovers introduce a lot of ideas that I just don't think mesh with the OT timeline.

That being said though, both are a lot of fun to watch!

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-17-2017, 04:58 AM
I wish Transdimensional Turtles was at least a double-episode, giving more time for more explaination than just jumping between realities.

pferreira
09-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Everyone needs to get their heads examined when the say the Turtles were too incompetent at fighting. I've marathoned the original cartoon many times, have probably seen every episode 10 times or more, and the Turtles were never that good at fighting in the old show. Even in their most "competent" seasons, like Season 1, 7 or 8, etc. So it's an accurate portrayal when they go up against truly strong opponents.Nah, Turtles Forever was not an accurate portrayal of them. From having watched episodes as well yeah they could mess up (to sometimes hilarious consequences) but they were at least still competent crime fighters, getting the job done. What you're saying is selling themselves short.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Even in the 2nd Nick Crossover, they competently fight just like their Nick counterparts halfway into the episode, initially having problems with the fighting style but adapting and having the correct personalities, something that Turtles Forever lacked.

09-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Is this some kind of record for bringing back a specific fictional universe years after it ended?

Powder
09-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Is this some kind of record for bringing back a specific fictional universe years after it ended?

Nooooo, not even close. The '66 Batman show has had current returns & that was from, well, '66. :tlol: I'm sure there must be even older ones.

CyberCubed
09-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Uh, Star Trek? Kirk, Spock and the original crew came back years after the series ended for movies and crossovers. Not even counting the recent reboot.

09-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Uh, Star Trek? Kirk, Spock and the original crew came back years after the series ended for movies and crossovers. Not even counting the recent reboot.

But isn't that the same Universe, just different eras of time.

ABrown
09-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Not a very high bar...

lqcBiC6QA14

Right, like the original TMNT cartoon didn't have as many animation errors or episodes with pi$$ poor animation quality as any other action cartoon at the time.

BubblyShell22
09-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Nick crossovers hands down both for having the original VAs come back but also for how fun it was. I liked how 80's Leo was talking about violence because at the time that was a big concern then so when he actually gets to use his swords, he really enjoys it which makes me laugh.

09-23-2017, 02:49 AM
Nick crossovers hands down both for having the original VAs come back but also for how fun it was. I liked how 80's Leo was talking about violence because at the time that was a big concern then so when he actually gets to use his swords, he really enjoys it which makes me laugh.

But the concern was Michaelangelo. not Leonardo. It would be better to have the joke focus in him.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-23-2017, 02:58 AM
I really liked the scene in the 2nd Nick crossover that has the 80s turtles see Ice Cream Kitty and Chompy.

A quiet moment contemplating another world, kind of like the 4Kids turtles meeting 80s Splinter.

09-23-2017, 10:24 AM
I really liked the scene in the 2nd Nick crossover that has the 80s turtles see Ice Cream Kitty and Chompy.

A quiet moment contemplating another world, kind of like the 4Kids turtles meeting 80s Splinter.

Never a fan of Ice Cream Kitty. I prefer Klunk and Mortimer when it comes to pet cats in TMNT.

ToTheNines
09-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Mortimer.

Oh my god. Stop.

neatoman
09-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Who the hell is Mortimer?

ToTheNines
09-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Remember Blodgett from season 2's "Curse of the Evil Eye"? Mortimer was his cat that had like 12 seconds of screen time.

neatoman
09-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Remember Blodgett from season 2's "Curse of the Evil Eye"? Mortimer was his cat that had like 12 seconds of screen time.

Wow, really? Why commit that to memory? I don't even remember his owner.

CyberCubed
09-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Well for those of us who rewatched the old show many times both as kids and adults, that's why some people remember one-ep characters that most later TMNT fans wouldn't even remember.

You have to remember the original TMNT cartoon was rerun to death in the 80's and 90's. Most of us saw every ep hundreds of times as kids, then rewatched them on DVD years later as teens and adults.

09-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Wow, really? Why commit that to memory? I don't even remember his owner.

He drove the Channel 6 newsvan in that episode.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-23-2017, 04:48 PM
No one dare speaks against Mortimer.

CyberCubed
09-23-2017, 04:49 PM
What's next, people miss Michaelangelo's pet parrot Ditto? Or that goldfish he had in that one episode?

09-23-2017, 04:52 PM
I think the pets in TMNT can be great without mutating.

leader in blue
09-24-2017, 12:38 AM
I just saw Wanted Bebop and Rocksteady I thought it was very well done especially the guy who did Shredder he nailed it

Over all it was very good i kinda wished they had a moment to explain what happened to 2012 Splinter and get the 87 turtles reaction since they never experienced death in their universe

Another thing i was somewhat disappointed in was my fav character Leonardo he just didn't really act the way he did in the 87 series also his voice i know hes older now but the voice actor sounds nothing like him anymore when u compare him to his fellow 87 voice actors (Michelangelo might be a little more deeper in tone) but every time Leonardo talked all i heard was Freddie the ferret from barnyard

Anybody else agree?

ToTheNines
09-24-2017, 04:34 AM
I think the pets in TMNT can be great without mutating.

Well, saying you prefer Klunk to ICK is your opinion. To me, ICK is just a mutated Klunk, but whatever. I totally get that you prefer them owning a regular cat.

But to say you prefer Mortimer... a cat with literally less than 30 seconds of screen time that was owned by some one-off doofus character from an episode 30 years ago, is trolling.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-24-2017, 04:49 PM
What's next, people miss Michaelangelo's pet parrot Ditto? Or that goldfish he had in that one episode?

You mean Max? That was in Donatello's Degree wasn't it? The nutty Proffessor Soho plot along with the fish somehow ending up in the lake at the university (it was connected somehow) and the other three turtles were all chasing through the sewers after it while Don was havingvIrma pose as him? If memory serves, April had Vernon kissing a carp in lieu of mouth to mouth lol!

Bjarni
09-26-2017, 02:15 AM
I like both crossovers to an extent.
I feel like all of them mistreated the FW turtles way too much.
It's like people forget that they actually were pretty badass for the first (and last) seasons of the show.

Allio
09-26-2017, 10:09 AM
I like both crossovers to an extent.
I feel like all of them mistreated the FW turtles way too much.
It's like people forget that they actually were pretty badass for the first (and last) seasons of the show.

Yeah, but red sky isn't usually what people think of when they think 87, and the first five episodes is honestly too early to pull from as they obviously didn't go through the growth they usually would

sdp
09-26-2017, 12:15 PM
No matter how silly they got, they never got to the level that Turtles Forever portrayed them in, now the first Nick Crossover treated them pretty well if I remember correctly, haven't seen the second.

Allio
09-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Say what you will about the 87 turtles themselves, but everything else about the special is what makes the Turles forever movie the better one, from the Mirage turtles to even character interactions with Shredder/Krang/Ch'rell

sdp
09-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Believe me I want to love Turtles Forever, on paper it sounds like my dream come true but it's difficult to watch it and see the OT treated like trash and the only thing that ruins his love letter to the fans.

The first Nick crossover actually feels like a 22 minute version of Turtles Forever but done better. Of course you don't get as much fan service as in the TF but overall it handled things better. I won't say it's better because frankly the OT meeting 2k3 is more awesome than the Nick turtles since I don't care for them much and if we're basing this off on fanservice alone and not how they handled the plot then TF wins.

I'm kind of bummed that 2k3 never crossed over with Nick, I mean they outright own the show and on twitter the official account usually shows clips of 2k3.

pferreira
09-28-2017, 10:57 AM
You have to remember the original TMNT cartoon was rerun to death in the 80's and 90's. Most of us saw every ep hundreds of times as kids, then rewatched them on DVD years later as teens and adults.Is there much of re-runs on TV today?

No one dare speaks against Mortimer.:lol:

Right, like the original TMNT cartoon didn't have as many animation errors or episodes with pi$$ poor animation quality as any other action cartoon at the time.That's because the people who are complaining aren't knowledgeable about cartoons back then otherwise they'd know that.

MrPliggins
09-28-2017, 08:48 PM
I enjoyed the new crossover and it's great having the original VAs. There are some great moments in the new one (they really captured the OT Shredder-Krang dynamic well) but in overall enjoyment I'll still have to go with Turtles Forever. From the multiverse of Turtles including the Mirage Turtles, to the ending with Eastman and Laird going for pizza. The story was solid and the stakes were high. Yes, the OT Turtles cried a few times (wtf?) and there were other small imperfections, but it's still the best in my opinion.

DestronMirage22
09-28-2017, 11:14 PM
Turtles Forever all the way.

I havenít seen the 2nd Nick crossover (and donít really plan to) so my opinion is just based Turtles Forever and Transdimensional Turtles (was that even the name?).

Both had their downsides. They each presented the FW turtles in unfavorable light while making theirs seem better in comparison.
But the Nick crossover took it a step further; it messed with FWís established canon and attempted to tie it to their continuity. This is an even bigger insult to the show, as it comes off as another attempt to prove that their version is better, and that without it FW wouldnít be what it was.
Then thereís that cheap animation they used for the FW dimension, and the pathetic way they did Turtle Prime.

Turtles Forever had a longer runtime and the story/plot felt fresh. Trans dimensional Turtles felt like it was ripping it off, and the story felt rushed. But it had the original VAís so it has that going for it.

Overall, T.F. felt like a celebration of the brand as a whole and was a wonderful conclusion to the series, while T.T. was just another episode that didnít feel all that special. Honestly, it was pretty forgettable.

For these (and many other) reasons, I think Turtles Forever was the superior of the two.