PDA

View Full Version : Will this series ever see a nostalgic resurgence?

Spike Spiegel
09-19-2017, 06:23 AM
The 4Kids show premiered almost fifteen years ago. With the important role that nostalgia plays in many prominent media franchises, when do you think TMNT fans and casuals/regular people will start looking back fondly at the 2003 series on a more collective level?

Powder
09-19-2017, 06:29 AM
I don't see it happening at all.

TheSkeletonMan939
09-19-2017, 09:46 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I think the Nick show has thoroughly overshadowed it.

neatoman
09-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Not sure if that's actually true or if people just paying more attention to it because it's technically not over yet. Season 1 was indeed a bit of a ratings darling but it was mostly mediocre mediocre ratings since then and it got so bad midway through season 5 they decided to dump the rest on Nicktoons, where it can't be expected to even get a quarter of the ratings. I don't even see much attention online outside of here.

Just watch, in a couple of months the Nick section here is going to be brought to a crawl, just like the PD section.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 10:17 AM

That's TPTB's hope and intent, I'm sure.

neatoman
09-19-2017, 10:31 AM
That's TPTB's hope and intent, I'm sure.

I'm sure about that either but it does seem confusing how they treat the show. They gave it marathon but no regular airings, the show is available digitally but is missing 4 seasons and then there's the DVDs...

They're not even quarter-assing it but it's not exactly buried either...

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2017, 10:53 AM
I believe people will start appreciating the 2k3 show alot more when Rise of the Tmnt starts airing.

I can see it having more of a nostalgic following than the Nick show in the distant future though.

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Do we know if it's streaming anywhere?

TheSkeletonMan939
09-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Amazon has certain seasons; maybe iTunes as well.

neatoman
09-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Do we know if it's streaming anywhere?

The first three seasons can be bought on Amazon digitally. I guess that's the best official option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0190TB4B0?ref_=aiv_dp_season_select

IndigoErth
09-19-2017, 11:22 AM
I never saw it on tv, only binge watched it online a few years ago. But truth be told, though I rarely post in this section, I actually really wish a new series would pick up where this one left off and bring back the designs similar/same as it had for most seasons.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2017, 11:27 AM
No, 4Kids is never gonna "resurge."

But mark my words, after a few years and this "Rise of the Turtles" cartoon, nobody is going to remember the Nick cartoon, either.

But everyone will continue to remember the Fred Wolf cartoon... because that's how this works. :trazz:

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Yes it will, and tons of 4kids elements and characters like Hun and Bishop have already continued into other series and canons.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Yes it will, and tons of 4kids elements and characters like Hun and Bishop have already continued into other series and canons.

Elements being reused is a far cry from public/popular resurgence, homeboy.

Spike Spiegel
09-19-2017, 12:23 PM
But everyone will continue to remember the Fred Wolf cartoon... because that's how this works. :trazz:

It's the TMNT equivalent of Adam West Batman...:ohwell:

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Without there ever being a Tim Burton coming out of left field in film and a Frank Miller in comics it'd still be that way.

ABrown
09-19-2017, 12:55 PM

I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series. When it comes to Batman, the closest thing to the original TMNT cartoon is this:

LeotheLateBloomer
09-19-2017, 01:07 PM
I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series. When it comes to Batman, the closest thing to the original TMNT cartoon is this:

Those two shows are way worse than the 60s TV show.

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Because prior to the Burton movie if you asked the average someone about Batman they'd have thought you were talking about the West show...and not the comic.

Much the same way most people think of the FW toon, rather than the Mirage book.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series.

Not remotely. Most people weren't even aware it ever existed. NT:TNM was never "The real TMNT" to anyone, ever.

Fred Wolf? Pervasive as hell.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Any long running franchise always has it's first incarnation, or whichever was the most popular, overshadow everything that came after.

It's the same thing in the Pokemon fandom, with a bunch of delusionals who still think Misty/Brock or the original 151 pokemon are the only things that matter...even though the Pokemon franchise is now 20 years old and we're on gen 7. Just look at all the casuals getting excited over Misty/Brock getting a cameo in the current anime.

It's the same thing TMNT fans do when we have those 80's crossovers in the Nick cartoon or back in Turtles Forever. Or how hyped everyone is to see a new incarnation of Bebop and Rocksteady.

Wesley
09-19-2017, 02:22 PM
It might happen some time in the future when people start having nostalgia about the 00s.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:34 PM
The 2k3 series began in 2003, it's nearly 15 years old. How old does something have to be to be nostalgic over it?

Fun fact: At the time the 4kids series started in 2003, the original cartoon only ended 7 years prior in 1996. For some odd reason it feels like the gap was longer but it wasn't. I guess time moves slowly as a kid.

Ulisa
09-19-2017, 02:56 PM
I would like it to but I'm not sure it will. The 2k3 series really had pretty poor exposure, at least in comparison with the other incarnations. I also think that some people, myself included, originally didn't even give it a chance because it was so different from what we knew. Now, granted, I have since seen it and definitely enjoy it but I don't remember it having the status that the FW series had and they aren't exactly pushing it a lot these days. I'd be happy if they just released it in full on DVD. It seems like they don't even want to acknowledge it most of the time.

ToTheNines
09-19-2017, 03:42 PM
I can see it having more of a nostalgic following than the Nick show in the distant future though.

I can't imagine how you could possibly arrive to this conclusion.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2017, 03:49 PM
I can't imagine how you could possibly arrive to this conclusion.

Just a quick thought on my part. I guessed that maybe the 2D animation, more unique, more established identity/tone and less reliance on other versions' concepts than the Nick show would lead it to being remembered more fondly many years later.

Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Well we can't tell that yet because the Nick show is currently ending. I can definitely see Tiger Claw used by a future series at least.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2017, 04:01 PM
He's the only Original character I can see being used in other versions, but even he recieves competition from Old Hob in IDW and the more obscure Kathmandu, both of whom might possibly be used instead.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 04:04 PM
I actually hope Shinigami appears somewhere else so she and Karai can become a lesbian couple in a future series.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?

I don't know, I'm not 6 years old. If I was, maybe they would be... who knows.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Only time will tell, give it a few years when many of the Nick shows fans will have grown and joined tmnt forums/nostalgia followings.

But even then, I highly doubt that among hardcore fans like us, all of Nicks Original characters combined will be as remembered as the very few that appeared in the 2003 show.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Well all the kids from the Nick era will be adults in another 5-10 years.

Remember a kid who was 10 when the Nick cartoon first started is now 15. Give him another 2-3 years and he'll be an adult with nostalgia for a show he watched as a kid.

Prowler
09-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Any long running franchise always has it's first incarnation, or whichever was the most popular, overshadow everything that came after.

It's the same thing in the Pokemon fandom, with a bunch of delusionals who still think Misty/Brock or the original 151 pokemon are the only things that matter...even though the Pokemon franchise is now 20 years old and we're on gen 7. Just look at all the casuals getting excited over Misty/Brock getting a cameo in the current anime.

It's the same thing TMNT fans do when we have those 80's crossovers in the Nick cartoon or back in Turtles Forever. Or how hyped everyone is to see a new incarnation of Bebop and Rocksteady.
Difference being Pokémon is still as strong as ever. Even if the first two gens are the two most successful ones after all these years, it's not like people aren't aware of the other gens/games. Many people don't know anything about the TMNT asides from FW and the movies that came out in the 90s. Many aren't even aware of the 2k3 series or even the Nick toon.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Well that's simply because Pokemon is a much larger franchise than TMNT.

With TMNT I'm sure they're aware the other shows and comics exists, they just don't bother to watch/read them.

Prowler
09-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Well that's simply because Pokemon is a much larger franchise than TMNT.

With TMNT I'm sure they're aware the other shows and comics exists, they just don't bother to watch/read them.
Actually... I've met more people who don't know that than those who do. TMNT is viewed by people around my age and above as a late 80s/early 90s phenomenon. I guess that's just testimony to how big the franchise was at its peak. I've honestly never met a human being that hasn't heard of the TMNT at all.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Some people just need to be educated. If it were up to me I would educate everyone on TMNT history, as well as other franchises. Some people just need to be skewed into the right direction.

DestronMirage22
09-19-2017, 10:33 PM
As much as I'd love to see some kind of "nostalgic resurgence" for this show, it really isn't likely to happen.

It just isn't that well known and it never really had that much of a following.

Plus, it's not like Nick will ever go out of their way to advertise its existence, it actually seems like the opposite. I don't even think you can watch it normally on their website or rerun channels, just on online cartoon sites and whatever DVD's you can find.

And as others have mentioned, FW will always be the most (if not only) publicly recognized version of TMNT. It pains me to say, but that's just the way it'll be.

Sumac
09-20-2017, 02:12 AM
I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series.
No.
It was so short, that it barely left a mark in the history of the franchise. I bet many people not even aware what it was. And comparing it to Adam West Batman, which is still remembered, even despite all this time and many good incarnations of the series...is laughable.

Fred Wolf? Pervasive as hell.
And Mirage will never be as popular anyway. :tlol:

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 02:19 AM
I find it odd so many of you forget the 2k3 series also had reruns on Cartoon Network around 2005-2006. I think they only aired the first 3 seasons (because Season 4 was "new" at the time), but it was something.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-20-2017, 02:37 AM
I remember seeing the first 3 seasons being re-run as late as 2008

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 11:41 AM
I remember seeing the first 3 seasons being re-run as late as 2008

Yeah it even aired weekday afternoons at 5pm here so it was 5 episodes a week in proper order. It used to air on CN's "Miguzi" block which came on right before Toonami back then.

GoldMutant
09-20-2017, 03:30 PM
I know Nicktoons ran the show a few years back alongside Turtles Forever. I don't remember if it included The Ninja Tribunal, Fast Forward, or Back to the Sewer though.

Otherwise, I don't fully see the series getting a full resurgence compared to Nick, the movies (not Bay Turtles though), and FW. During this time, I was growing up with Turtles, but was more interested in other properties. Those included Power Rangers and Spider-Man to name a few. It's possible but unlikely.

MrPliggins
09-20-2017, 03:52 PM

I think you're confusing the content of the series (camp) with the impact it had on people's knowledge about the franchise. '60s Batman was a huge phenomenon as was TMNT '87. Next Mutation was nowhere near a huge phenomenon, and despite being available on Netflix for the past few years, I'm sure many people outside this forum have no idea what it is.

I think a resurgence of 2k3 would be great. It would be nice to even easily access the episodes. But I think if a resurgence were to happen, it would be right around now. But other TMNT projects are stealing all of the attention.
Also, the show, even at the time it aired, was under the radar, despite airing for many years. It's probably a little nugget of gold that's going to remain "hidden", unfortunately.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Also, the show, even at the time it aired, was under the radar, despite airing for many years. It's probably a little nugget of gold that's going to remain "hidden", unfortunately.

Which is odd, the ratings for the 2k3 series were generally higher than the Nick cartoons.

ToTheNines
09-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Just a quick thought on my part. I guessed that maybe the 2D animation, more unique, more established identity/tone and less reliance on other versions' concepts than the Nick show would lead it to being remembered more fondly many years later.

Ok, I feel you there.

Yeah, creatively there's a lot more good stuff to adapt, especially if you're taking it seriously. I like the Nick show a lot better than 4kids, but I really hope we never see sh*t like Tigerclaw, Newtralizer or whatever again.

I just feel like the Nick show was way more popular due to its greater exposure, and in turn will have more casuals that remember it fondly in the future.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
09-20-2017, 04:38 PM
With all TMNT being under Nickelodeon's control, there's probably no want among the producers for limiting to influences from one version.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-20-2017, 05:37 PM
I just feel like the Nick show was way more popular due to its greater exposure, and in turn will have more casuals that remember it fondly in the future.

Among Casuals, most definetly. Almost every store I know nowdays has some sort of Nick tmnt merchandise.

Among the dedicated tmnt fans however, I feel the 4Kids show will always reasonate more, no question.

Maybe its because I'm biased towards it alot more and it was the version that got me into tmnt, but I think the 4Kids series accomplished far more than the Nick show in terms of saving the brand from obscurity, which many people credit the latter for.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 05:43 PM
I like 4kids more for it's stronger storylines and plots, but the Nick show is more "fun" if that makes any sense. It's kind of the same feeling I have about the Fred Wolf show. It's plots are obviously simple and repetitive, but it's just "fun" to just sit there and watch it.

Still I'd recommend the 4kids series to most casual fans who have no experience with any TMNT cartoon before the other two, besides maybe the first 5 episodes of the original cartoon.

I hope Tiger Claw appears in IDW next year. He deserves to return.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
As much I love the Nick show, I don't think it fully captures either the fun of FW or the deep storytelling of 4Kids but it was meant to be a middle ground so I can't blame it.

And while I will always prefer the first two animated shows, I think given what they had to live up to in terms of fan expectations, Nick did a great and wonderful job with their first tmnt show. I hope I can say the same for Rise of the Tmnt.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 07:06 PM
The Nick show always has some aspects of dialogue, humor, or action sequences or animation style that impresses me in each episode. You can tell the writers, Ciro, Brandon, etc. all wrote the show for themselves or the fans. While it was too horror-esque heavy at times, I don't think it mattered too much.

ToTheNines
09-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Among Casuals, most definetly. Almost every store I know nowdays has some sort of Nick tmnt merchandise.

Among the dedicated tmnt fans however, I feel the 4Kids show will always reasonate more, no question.

Maybe its because I'm biased towards it alot more and it was the version that got me into tmnt, but I think the 4Kids series accomplished far more than the Nick show in terms of saving the brand from obscurity, which many people credit the latter for.

I dunno, Nick has way more style. The humor landed a LOT more and the fights felt more brutal.

Plus they really nailed the dramatic aspects. Off the top of my head, Tale of the Yokai, Slash and Destroy, Lone Rat and Cubs all make me tear up. Requiem and Owari make me lose my sh*t every time.

I hope Tiger Claw appears in IDW next year. He deserves to return.

Tiger Claw is garbage. Ciro and Brandon musta plagiarized him from an RP thread here.

neatoman
09-21-2017, 02:51 AM
I dunno, Nick has way more style. The humor landed a LOT more and the fights felt more brutal.
To be fair, much of the comedy seems to be childish grossout humor. It's for children so it's fine but I'm not really a fan of it.

Plus they really nailed the dramatic aspects. Off the top of my head, Tale of the Yokai, Slash and Destroy, Lone Rat and Cubs all make me tear up. Requiem and Owari make me lose my sh*t every time.

The drama is cheap, I'm sorry but it's so damn cheap in that show. Splinter "dies" at least three times and spends a total of 20 episodes being "dead" before his final death. Even when he does die for real, he just comes back as a ghost and was even capable of taking coporeal form for a brief scene, it's almost as if it didn't matter. If the show had gotten a sixth season I wouldn't have been shocked if he came back yet again, I wouldn't even be surprised if he came back for the finale as some kind of sequel bait.

Then there's the other stuff like how Slash's psychosis was handwaved away as a temporary side effect of the mutation, I really don't see any reason to take drama seriously in the Nick show because it's always undermined.

Tiger Claw is garbage. Ciro and Brandon musta plagiarized him from an RP thread here.

Yeah, **** Tiger Claw.

CyberCubed
09-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Tiger Claw was the best OC character I've ever seen. Yes he got weaker to the point where Casey was able to beat him easily, but that happens to any villain in a long running show. It's called, "character decay" where villains are strong in their first few appearances and then the good guys take then down easier with each passing appearance.

In any case, the Nick show didn't introduce too many new unique characters that weren't random monster mutants, most of the characters they had were old characters with new designs or reimagined. Even stuff like the Squirrelnoids weren't much more than new versions of the Pizza Monsters from the Season 2 ep or the videogames.

Even stuff like evil Utroms (the Kraang) were done before in Mirage or Ch'rell in 4kids. Kavaxas might as well be considered more of a new version of Draco from 2k3 than Hothead.

newfan
09-22-2017, 12:23 AM
Sometimes it seems like the character's fighting ability depend on what the writers want for that episode? Tiger Claw went weaker but then in episodes like Owari they had a hard time fighting him again.
Same with the abilities or the Turtles, Shini and Karai, sometimes all of them together just can't take the enemy and others, they do solo.
Other shows do this too.

CyberCubed
09-22-2017, 01:47 AM
Yeah it happens in any action cartoon with recurring villains. In their first appearance or two they're nearly unbeatable and the good guys can barely bring them down, then when they keep appearing after that they get taking down easier and easier, then become practically jokes.

Hell it almost happened in the 2k3 series with Hun and the Elite Guards. They still had trouble fighting them in later seasons, but in their first few appearances they were almost unstoppable.

Prowler
09-22-2017, 02:01 AM
Yeah it happens in any action cartoon with recurring villains. In their first appearance or two they're nearly unbeatable and the good guys can barely bring them down, then when they keep appearing after that they get taking down easier and easier, then become practically jokes.

Hell it almost happened in the 2k3 series with Hun and the Elite Guards. They still had trouble fighting them in later seasons, but in their first few appearances they were almost unstoppable.
And I se nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see it as the Turtles honing their fighting skills as the series went on. It's not really farfetch'd.

CyberCubed
09-22-2017, 02:02 AM
And I se nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see it as the Turtles honing their fighting skills as the series went on. It's not really farfetch'd.

It's in Batman too. First time Bane appears he can barely stop him. Every other time Bane shows up Batman dispatches him quite quickly.

09-22-2017, 03:13 AM
The turtles are meant to to grow, in strength and character, throughout the series. That's why there's a point with them taking down the villains easier during later seasons.

Prowler
09-23-2017, 06:30 AM
The turtles are meant to to grow, in strength and character, throughout the series. That's why there's a point with them taking down the villains easier during later seasons.
Well, they might grow in terms of combat skills, but they don't seem to grow much in character at all. In fact, the 2k3 Turtles seem to have regressed throughout the show. It's odd how Mike and Raph, despite starting off rather flawed were more endearing in the first couple of seasons than in the later ones. Mike got quite annoying after the Battle nexus tournament. Don't remember when Raph became a parody of himself, but I'm gonna say around Fast Forward. Although by then the show was more lighthearted so I guess that's expected?

Spike Spiegel
09-23-2017, 08:18 AM
In fact, the 2k3 Turtles seem to have regressed throughout the show. It's odd how Mike and Raph, despite starting off rather flawed were more endearing in the first couple of seasons than in the later ones.

As much as I love 2k3, I noticed this even as a kid. "Secret Origins" through "Battle Nexus" probably marked my peak engagement with the series, and that character development aspect was a major reason why. It felt like the stories themselves were settling into a slightly more formulaic format. You can only bring Shredder and Stockman back so many times before it gets boring. I especially disliked the Ultimate Ninja. Other than Bishop and the EPF, I don't remember it feeling like a "much watch" show after that.

Of course, I had quite the opposite experience reading Mirage.

09-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Don't remember when Raph became a parody of himself, but I'm gonna say around Fast Forward. Although by then the show was more lighthearted so I guess that's expected?

By season 4, Leonardo was the new Raphael. :)