PDA

View Full Version : IDW net income down 91% in 2017

DrSpengler
09-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Direct IDW statement: "Publishing revenue decreased by ($751,000), principally due to industry cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders, as well as the timing of significant major brand titles that are expected in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017." (http://archive.is/PcyQJ)

Ouch.

But I'm sure Aubrey Sitterson will turn it all around for them.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Direct IDW statement: "Publishing revenue decreased by ($751,000), principally due to industry cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders, as well as the timing of significant major brand titles that are expected in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017." (http://archive.is/PcyQJ)

Ouch.

But I'm sure Aubrey Sitterson will turn it all around for them.

Maybe I don't pay enough attention Marvel and DC, but what are the significant major brand titles in Q4 this year?

The DC Doomsday Clock and Batman Metal stuff?

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Maybe they're referring to the Nazi Cap thing Marvel was doing.
Most of the people I know who were upset about that don't go in for IDW stuff.

I've got to say though, I spent a couple days over at the IDW FB page, and that...that got wild there for a while.
In a fascinatingly hilarious way.

Andrew NDB
09-19-2017, 01:03 PM
I've got to say though, I spent a couple days over at the IDW FB page, and that...that got wild there for a while.
In a fascinatingly hilarious way.

You're talking the Kevin, Bobby and Tom live chat? Or this:

"It has come to our attention that a freelance comic book writer, whose work includes IDW titles, has expressed opinions on his personal social media account that many find insensitive, divisive, and inflammatory.
IDW in no way condones or supports these personal opinions whatsoever, and recognizes the pain they may cause our readers.
Discussions regarding next steps are underway. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our many fans while these concerns are being addressed.
Thank you."

?

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 01:07 PM

"It has come to our attention that a freelance comic book writer, whose work includes IDW titles, has expressed opinions on his personal social media account that many find insensitive, divisive, and inflammatory.
IDW in no way condones or supports these personal opinions whatsoever, and recognizes the pain they may cause our readers.
Discussions regarding next steps are underway. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our many fans while these concerns are being addressed.
Thank you."

?

That. I didn't catch the livechat.
I had no idea who Sitterson was until the FB thread Streisanded him for me.
Kind of wish they'd done it sooner, because I wasted like 10 minutes of my life watching some random dude on youtube froth about something that had nothing to do with the current drama.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2017, 01:13 PM
That. I didn't catch the livechat.
I had no idea who Sitterson was until the FB thread Streisanded him for me.
Kind of wish they'd done it sooner, because I wasted like 10 minutes of my life watching some random dude on youtube froth about something that had nothing to do with the current drama.

Thank you."

?

What was this all about?

MikeandRaph87
09-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Wait...what? 91% loss? I thought it was a booming success!

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 01:19 PM
What was this all about?

The guy who pens GI Joe was not delicate about his feeling that there's a lot of insincerity to be found in the Never Forget 9-11 commemoration.

And some readers of GI Joe didn't take a shine to his tone, and so they were trying very hard to call for him to be fired...all the while reassuring everyone they weren't against censorship in any way.

It was...an interesting afternoon.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 01:19 PM
If you've been checking the IDW TMNT sales thread you would have seen the main ongoing and Universe have been declining in sales every month, even if they're still IDW's best selling comic franchise.

I hope this does not bode ill for the future of IDW TMNT though, we still need to make it to issue 100. :cry:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-19-2017, 01:28 PM
The guy who pens GI Joe was not delicate about his feeling that there's a lot of insincerity to be found in the Never Forget 9-11 commemoration.

And some readers of GI Joe didn't take a shine to his tone, and so they were trying very hard to call for him to be fired...all the while reassuring everyone they weren't against censorship in any way.

It was...an interesting afternoon.

Huh. I should try to find that guy's comments... sounds interesting. Also kinda sounds like the whole "this football player protests the national anthem rrrraaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh!" controversy...

If you've been checking the IDW TMNT sales thread you would have seen the main ongoing and Universe have been declining in sales every month, even if they're still IDW's best selling comic franchise.

I hope this does not bode ill for the future of IDW TMNT though, we still need to make it to issue 100. :cry:

It's not that IDW TMNT is failing, it's that comics as a whole and across the board (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, IDW, Image, et al) are on a decline... mostly caused by Marvel and DC, thanks guys. :trazz:

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Huh. I should try to find that guy's comments... sounds interesting. Also kinda sounds like the whole "this football player protests the national anthem rrrraaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh!" controversy...

It's exactly like that.
Though my favorite dude was the one who tried to impress upon me that politics has no place in GI Joe comics.

Personally?
The writer lives in Manhattan, and was there the day of. From where I'm sitting, that gives the guy access to a double-standard of behavior.
But what do I know?

oldmanwinters
09-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Well, at least they've got the Sonic the Hedgehog license to look forward to next year... I hope. :teek:

snake
09-19-2017, 01:59 PM
The hasbro universe IDW fans basically hate the company. Pretty sure TMNT is the only thing they're doing right.

oldmanwinters
09-19-2017, 02:05 PM
The hasbro universe IDW fans basically hate the company. Pretty sure TMNT is the only thing they're doing right.

Well, I know their Ghostbusters output has been tremendous since about 2012. With all the reboots of their ongoing GB title (and the fact that the franchise peaked in popularity around 1989), I can't imagine it's a terrific seller.

plastroncafe
09-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Well, I know their Ghostbusters output has been tremendous since about 2012. With all the reboots of their ongoing GB title (and the fact that the franchise peaked in popularity around 1989), I can't imagine it's a terrific seller.

Which is a shame, because that's one hell of a good book.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:17 PM
According to comichron sales for August, TMNT is still their best seller, and the latest issue only sold 13,449 copies, not counting digital:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-08.html

Their next two best sellers was "First Strike" and "Star Trek."

Redeemer
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Well, at least they've got the Sonic the Hedgehog license to look forward to next year... I hope. :teek:

I think Sonic will definitely help IDW in terms of sales.

Its hard grasp how a company does not implode with a downfall like that. I wish the article listed some source for fact checking. I know IDW has mentioned a downturn in the industry, but I didn't think it was this severe.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:24 PM
Bobby said before there is an industry wide downturn happening, and that IDW rejected projects or proposals from well established franchises or writers in the industry because things had gotten so bad.

But yeah, I think Sonic the Hedgehog franchise should help them a lot. The Archie Sonic comic went on for like for 20 years.

DrSpengler
09-19-2017, 02:26 PM

I'm sure out of hype and speculator interest alone, their Sonic relaunch will net them a short term profit boost, as most all-new number ones do. But eventually malaise will set in with profits; that's not so much a comment on quality, but just the inevitable reality.

Ghostbusters sells pretty low; like TMNT Amazing Adventures numbers. But it IS a consistently good comic, at least when Burnham is on it (the one-shots and spin-offs by other writers haven't been so hot).

dl316bh
09-19-2017, 02:27 PM
It's not that IDW TMNT is failing, it's that comics as a whole and across the board (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, IDW, Image, et al) are on a decline... mostly caused by Marvel and DC, thanks guys. :trazz:
I'd say it's mostly Marvel. Being the industry leader sounds nice and all, but when you screw up and tank yourself, you end up hurting the industry at large, because a lot of people who largely deal in those titles stop going. It seems like the constant relaunches and events finally caught up to them and they know it, which is why they're going in hard on the Generations thing and promised no events for at least a year and a half. Probably doesn't help that their last two events were not well received and the most recent was so uncomfortable in the wake of real life that Marvel saw the writing on the wall and rushed through it in, like, three months.

But yeah, I think Sonic the Hedgehog franchise should help them a lot. The Archie Sonic comic went on for like for 20 years.
It'll be another decently selling comic once the sales even out, but I don't know about helping "a lot". The Archie title wasn't doing amazing numbers by the end.

ChosenOne
09-19-2017, 02:28 PM
I read the title as meaning that the net income was down TO 91% at first, then had a closer look. Oh, man... :(

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:30 PM
After the Nick TMNT cartoon just recently ended, (in fact the final eps air Sept. 22nd), I'm getting worried for IDW's TMNT's future.

It seems like everything since the Viacom revival is being concluded. The movies bombed (although we're happy about that), the Nick TMNT cartoon is ending, of course Amazing Adventures is ending with it, and now IDW is experiencing a downturn.

We'll surely make it to issue #100, I have no fears there. But now I wonder how much longer we'll go after that.

DrSpengler
09-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Well, if TMNT is indeed IDW's best seller, then I imagine it's the LAST title on the chopping block if budget cuts come down the line.

So TMNT fans probably have the least recourse to be concerned. It's just Ghostbusters fans who need to be worried...

ChosenOne
09-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Well, if TMNT is indeed IDW's best seller, then I imagine it's the LAST title on the chopping block if budget cuts come down the line.

The main ongoing, yes. But Universe (and possibly all the extra material like we got this year) will be sacrificed for sure.

myconius
09-19-2017, 02:43 PM

I'd say it's mostly Marvel. Being the industry leader sounds nice and all, but when you screw up and tank yourself, you end up hurting the industry at large, because a lot of people who largely deal in those titles stop going. It seems like the constant relaunches and events finally caught up to them and they know it, which is why they're going in hard on the Generations thing and promised no events for at least a year and a half. Probably doesn't help that their last two events were not well received and the most recent was so uncomfortable in the wake of real life that Marvel saw the writing on the wall and rushed through it in, like, three months.

i'd say it's both DC as well as Marvel.
on top of all the retcons and reboots, both companies are pushing the as many 'Events' as they can on their customers. long gone are the days when you can buy and enjoy just one comic title.
and now that most of DC's titles are bi-weekly that even more money to have to spend on the multitudes of cross-overs.

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:44 PM
The main ongoing, yes. But Universe (and possibly all the extra material like we got this year) will be sacrificed for sure.

I imagine if Universe ends they'd just replace with mini's and specials like we've gotten before it existed (or even now with the Dimension X 5-parter), just not as frequently.

myconius
09-19-2017, 02:50 PM
i say if you aren't actually purchasing 'said comics', then you really shouldn't be concerned about what happens to them.

i'm not going to call out names, but you know who you are. :P

CyberCubed
09-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Just curious, how is Dark Horse doing since they lost the Star Wars license to Marvel? I imagine that would have taken a heavy toll on them due to how popular Star Wars is?

Erik Burnham
09-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Guys, I appreciate the concern.

And we always hope for more readers, Y'know? There is a downturn, no question.

Just beware of influencing further downturn from doom+gloom talk.

I say that because I know you don't have all the information. (I don't, either, but I know some of the other streams that are taken into account.)

Digital, reprints, collections (tpb, hc, and other), cost to profit, the license fees, convention sales, even. It all factors in. You see estimates of direct market sales. It's a great predictor, don't get me wrong, but don't let it influence too much, just buy what you dig and spread the word.

That said, I'd be happy if GB sales were higher, too. See you folks in November. 😘

PApagreg
09-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Actually IDW does really good Godzilla comics

dl316bh
09-19-2017, 03:25 PM
i'd say it's both DC as well as Marvel.
on top of all the retcons and reboots, both companies are pushing the as many 'Events' as they can on their customers. long gone are the days when you can buy and enjoy just one comic title.
and now that most of DC's titles are bi-weekly that even more money to have to spend on the multitudes of cross-overs.
I don't pay close attention to sales anymore, because it's stressful and does nothing to help enjoyment of comics, so I don't really know what DC's doing right now on that front. I mostly just know some retailer reports I've read that suggest they're mostly happy with how Rebirth has been performing even this far out. Other than that, I don't know much, though it's probably a good sign they've only had to cancel one ongoing a year and a half in. If you remember the New 52, they were forced to cancel, like, six of them eight months in, with a couple more following a few months later.

As for the events, though, eh, I really disagree on that. I've read DC for a long time, mainly in trade, and man, their event's are stupid easy to ignore these days. They seemed to figure out that excessive tie-ins pissed people off around when Countdown bombed, because from Final Crisis on, the vast majority of tie-ins were their own dedicated thing. Which is good, because I remember Infinite Crisis and how that went and screw that noise. That period of DC was a chore in singles or trade. I still haven't read Convergence. Skipped it entirely. Rarely remember it was a thing. Never felt forced into it.

I don't know why Marvel never aped that approach. Well, aped it entirely. They occasionally do a special "point one" issue as a tie-in, rather than swiping an actual issue of the comic, but they never seem to make it a linewide thing.

I noticed this was definitely a thing that happens back when I still kept up with sales and talked about them with others. Too much talk about how something is near dead, and people start to wonder why they bother.

TurtleWA
09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Are market leaders only acknowledged when revenue drops or are they also acknowledged when companies have a revenue increase. Seems like scapegoating. At least that was my first thought after reading the title. "IDW Blames “Market Leaders” (I.E. Marvel) For Revenue Drop In Financial Report." But then I read some more and it seems like several business decisions contributed to the revenue drop.

ChosenOne
09-19-2017, 03:53 PM

A little positivity always goes a long way!

Redeemer
09-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Bobby said before there is an industry wide downturn happening, and that IDW rejected projects or proposals from well established franchises or writers in the industry because things had gotten so bad.

I literally just said that why did you quote me and say they same thing ? :lol: But Yeah I agree Sonic should definitely help sales. Hopefully the sales will start to tick back up.

It'll be another decently selling comic once the sales even out, but I don't know about helping "a lot". The Archie title wasn't doing amazing numbers by the end.

I am wondering how consistently Sonic will sell at IDW, bc correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Sonic was one of Archies biggest sellers?

dl316bh
09-19-2017, 04:42 PM
I am wondering how consistently Sonic will sell at IDW, bc correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Sonic was one of Archies biggest sellers?
It was a very consistent seller for them for decades and I'm pretty sure it was their best seller for a long time prior to the Archie lines modernization and relaunch, but by the last issue it barely pushed five and a half thousand in the direct market. Granted, at that point solicits had been sans Sonic for a bit, so people knew something was up and some probably dropped it, but even if you go back to before that point its best in the final year clocked in at six to seven thousand. Pretty much everything in the actual core Archie line had been outselling it.

That's not an indicator of how IDW will do, though. It's worth keeping in mind that with Archie we're talking about a comic that held on to characters and a world that hadn't been featured outside its pages in decades and was completely divorced from the main franchise. Nobody talked about it and it felt like it was never promoted, yet it held on for a long time despite all that, so who knows. I'm just saying, I wouldn't expect it to be a dynamo that props the whole company up.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 11:35 AM
In the other thread a lot of people are saying their comic shops aren't even ordering Universe in anymore, and they have to ask to put it on their pull list.

plastroncafe
09-20-2017, 12:09 PM
People should be doing this anyway, since pull lists are how the retailer knows how many books to order in the first place.

Candy Kappa
09-20-2017, 12:33 PM
I can't do a pull list with my LCS, they don't import floppies. And especially since they've changed owner and Diamond is a bitch-ass to deal with when it comes to comics, when the old boss actually managed to get floppies I'd only get every second TMNT issue.

I'm all digital.

plastroncafe
09-20-2017, 12:42 PM
I can't do a pull list with my LCS, they don't import floppies. And especially since they've changed owner and Diamond is a bitch-ass to deal with when it comes to comics, when the old boss actually managed to get floppies I'd only get every second TMNT issue.

I'm all digital.

Wow. Okay that sucks. Like, all of it.
Do you use a subscription to buy your online comics?
I'm curious if publishers are using those the way Diamond does pull lists..

Candy Kappa
09-20-2017, 12:54 PM
I used to use Comixology, but after the app was changed I went on using the company specific apps for Marvel, IDW and DC which still uses the older Comixology setup. Of what I've read and heard, sales goes through Diamond's control and digital is not included since it's not through Diamond.

My LCS still got trades, but they're very pricey so it's more of a rare treat, especially when digital trades can be as 1/3rd of the price or lower.

DrSpengler
09-20-2017, 12:56 PM
People should be doing this anyway, since pull lists are how the retailer knows how many books to order in the first place.

I have it on my pull list. The problem is that maybe 1 or 2 other people have it on their lists and my shop doesn't buy shelf copies of Universe or most of the minis. In Universe's case, it's because the price point is too high and nobody buys it on impulse. In the case of the minis, it's because nobody buys them period.

But what happens is that Diamond routinely fails to ship issues when my shop only orders 1 or 2 copies. Or maybe they'll ship 1 instead of 2, which isn't enough to fill pull list orders, so someone gets the shaft. Or there's the problem with damaged copies; the shop owners I've talked to say that routinely they have to return upwards of 10% of their stock each week because Diamond delivered them in damaged condition. If they're only getting 2 copies of an issue, there's a good chance one or both of them will come in damaged and have to be returned. You're only really guaranteed to always get your books if you subscribe to popular titles they get lots of copies of.

It sucks, but this is where the comics industry is at, now. I can understand why consumers are going digital, but I personally want to stick with floppies for as long as I can.

TurtleWA
09-20-2017, 01:18 PM
It sucks, but this is where the comics industry is at, now. I can understand why consumers are going digital, but I personally want to stick with floppies for as long as I can.

From my perspective floppies are losing appeal lately for a couple reasons it seems. Consumers switching to HCs & TPBs to collect for saving space and money. With digital comics increasing in popularity it's like history is repeating itself with the idea that comics are thought of as disposable. It's like the majority of consumers, companies and shops don't even care about the single issues anymore. It's about the collected volumes and digital stuff. :tsad:

plastroncafe
09-20-2017, 01:21 PM
It really is.
Space, resources, and just the sheer volume of stuff out there makes floppies a difficult purchase to make.

I'm not full digital yet, but considering how long it's been since I've been in a brick and mortar shop, I might as well be. And I miss it. Them.
Both the shop atmosphere as well as the financial resources that allowed me to make weekly pilgrimages.

New Comic Day was always the best!

Andrew NDB
09-20-2017, 01:24 PM
I miss New Comic Day as a kid. Now I'm mostly just buying comics I don't like and mostly don't read (I'm too invested in a few at this point), cringing at the covers as I pay for them.

Candy Kappa
09-20-2017, 01:25 PM
I think floppies are losing appeal due to that increasing $5 price mark and availability, not everyone wants to go to a specialty shop to find their comic or have a specialty shop that do sell comics.

Alterna Comics is doing something interesting and is going back to newspaper prints and going back to newsstands pushing the cost down to $1.50, who really needs that high quality glossy paper on floppies anyway.

neatoman
09-20-2017, 01:27 PM
From my perspective floppies are losing appeal lately for a couple reasons it seems. Consumers switching to HCs & TPBs to collect for saving space and money. With digital comics increasing in popularity it's like history is repeating itself with the idea that comics are thought of as disposable. It's like the majority of consumers, companies and shops don't even care about the single issues anymore. It's about the collected volumes and digital stuff. :tsad:

I honestly don't see much point in collecting floppies. Sure, I did it for Dimension X and 45-50 but I only did that because of the connecting covers gimmick. In most cases it just seems hard to keep them in order and I'm pretty sure 5 floppies are slightly more expensive than the TPBs.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 01:28 PM
I order the IDW trades off of amazon, I usually get them for about $13-14 there most of the time. Whereas in retail they're supposed to be $17.99-19.99.

TurtleWA
09-20-2017, 01:46 PM
I think floppies are losing appeal due to that increasing $5 price mark and availability, not everyone wants to go to a specialty shop to find their comic or have a specialty shop that do sell comics.

Alterna Comics is doing something interesting and is going back to newspaper prints and going back to newsstands pushing the cost down to $1.50, who really needs that high quality glossy paper on floppies anyway.
I think that is amazing to be $1.50. How could kids even afford comics nowadays. Expensive and hard to find. Comic books weren't even on my radar as a kid growing up in a rural area. We had zero comic shops or 7/11 stores. So I never encountered the floppies in your typical ma&pop type stores. Currently my closest comic dealer is almost an hour drive from my house. It would be great if affordable comics could be available for kids to buy when in a small store/gas station while they got some candy. Places within walking distance. Not all kids have computers or credit cards for digital. Are comics just going to die with our generation. Or maybe be a niche adult market.

I honestly don't see much point in collecting floppies. Sure, I did it for Dimension X and 45-50 but I only did that because of the connecting covers gimmick. In most cases it just seems hard to keep them in order and I'm pretty sure 5 floppies are slightly more expensive than the TPBs.
Yeah collecting floppies does have its challenges.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
I remember in the 90's when I was a kid there was a comic shop on almost every corner. By the time we got to the 2000's they were all closed or out of business. The only places around me that sell comics are the big stores in Manhattan.

Mewzard
09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
I order the IDW trades off of amazon, I usually get them for about $13-14 there most of the time. Whereas in retail they're supposed to be $17.99-19.99.

I fell so far behind I just decided to get the TMNT: The IDW Collection hardcovers. Do like reading through things all collected together like that.

DrSpengler
09-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Making comics high-end boutique items when they used to flourish as cheap compulsory purchases has always struck me as a mistake, but they had to make a lot of bad choices in the 90s during the implosion, so what's done is done.

I just know that $4 for 20 pages is a rip-off and I don't care how glossy the paper is, you can't justify a price point like that. And remember that just a couple of years ago, it was $4 for 22 pages. In 5 years, are we going to be paying $5 for 15 pages? The prices are just going to keep going up while the page content continues to shrink until the consumer base finally taps out.

Honestly, if I didn't have my website making me feel obligated to keep up, I'd have dropped my subs a while ago. When I say I want to continue with floppies, I mean in terms of collecting TMNT comics and not comics in general; I went all-trades on everything but TMNT and Ghostbusters years ago.

Candy Kappa
09-20-2017, 03:35 PM
I think that is amazing to be $1.50. How could kids even afford comics nowadays. Expensive and hard to find.

Comics geared towards kids seems to be the exception, now most (superhero) comics is catered and marketed to adults in their 30's and 40's

TurtleWA
09-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Making comics high-end boutique items when they used to flourish as cheap compulsory purchases has always struck me as a mistake, but they had to make a lot of bad choices in the 90s during the implosion, so what's done is done.

I just know that $4 for 20 pages is a rip-off and I don't care how glossy the paper is, you can't justify a price point like that. And remember that just a couple of years ago, it was $4 for 22 pages. In 5 years, are we going to be paying $5 for 15 pages? The prices are just going to keep going up while the page content continues to shrink until the consumer base finally taps out.

Honestly, if I didn't have my website making me feel obligated to keep up, I'd have dropped my subs a while ago. When I say I want to continue with floppies, I mean in terms of collecting TMNT comics and not comics in general; I went all-trades on everything but TMNT and Ghostbusters years ago.

Is the glossy paper really all about the reader? Probably not so much.

I don't understand why companies couldn't keep the price the same for content pages but make the books have a few more pages of advertising. For example 22 pages of story and 16 pages of ads for Hostess, Coke,Verizon,McDonald and similar. And then keep collected volumes ad free. Similar to commercials during a TV show but the collected series on DVD is released ad free.

Would readers rather have a lower price but put up with ads or less ads and a higher price. Also bring back the mail away ads. I need a pet monkey with a "live delivery guarantee." :roll: :lol:

eg-y0-3bvjg

qJreEOxCMsM

Vegita-San
09-20-2017, 04:26 PM
That said, I'd be happy if GB sales were higher, too. See you folks in November. 😘

I can't imagine that stupid new Feigbusters comic doing all that great either. just diverts further resources from the main comic.

I stopped buying GB101 when the feigbuster teamup started Issue 3. The humor of that team was the same crappy style of the movie, and turned me off instantly. damn shame because the REAL Ghostbuster stuff was top notch interesting as always, and i'm left wondering where that far more interesting plot line was headed. instead i saw a brain dead kevin dressing up in a vegetable costume for some reason? sigh...

I truly hope sony is forcing this feigbuster crap on you guys. I can't imagine much of a call for it.

but i'm glad to see tmnt is doing well. I think IDW would do with cutting down on some of the titles though. If I didn't read these boards, I wouldn't have known about the excellent dimension X series. and while tmnt universe is not bad, keeping up with it and the main series is rather annoying. i'd rather have it just be all in one place, even if we got two new issues a month.

I mostly just pick up BTTF, Ghostbusters, and Turtles anyway. although I did enjoy the galaxy quest one shot.

CyberCubed
09-20-2017, 04:30 PM
TMNT has always had two ongoing comics at the same time most of the time even in the same continuity. Mirage had Volume 4 and Tales going on at the same time in the 2000's. Even back in the 80's/90's besides Tales we always got one-shot specials, mini's or crossovers alongside Volume 1 and 2.

Archie has the 72 issue ongoing but also tons of specials and mini's about the Mutanimals, 3-issue specials, the 11 Archie special releases, April O 'Neil mini's, Merdude mini's, etc. There are over 100 Archie published TMNT comics overall when you count everything.

IDW having the main TMNT series, and Universe and specials/mini's is the norm most fans are used to. If they actually stopped making specials/mini's and we only had 12 issues of IDW TMNT a year, that would be very disappointing.

DevilSpooky
09-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Well for what it's worth I'll keep on buying everything TMNT related IDW releases in HC, and I'll stick to it until they stop releasing them.

myconius
09-20-2017, 10:54 PM
and while tmnt universe is not bad, keeping up with it and the main series is rather annoying. i'd rather have it just be all in one place, even if we got two new issues a month.

TMNT has always had two ongoing comics at the same time most of the time even in the same continuity. Mirage had Volume 4 and Tales going on at the same time in the 2000's. Even back in the 80's/90's besides Tales we always got one-shot specials, mini's or crossovers alongside Volume 1 and 2.

Archie has the 72 issue ongoing but also tons of specials and mini's about the Mutanimals, 3-issue specials, the 11 Archie special releases, April O 'Neil mini's, Merdude mini's, etc. There are over 100 Archie published TMNT comics overall when you count everything.

IDW having the main TMNT series, and Universe and specials/mini's is the norm most fans are used to. If they actually stopped making specials/mini's and we only had 12 issues of IDW TMNT a year, that would be very disappointing.

Cubed summed it up very nicely.
the world of the Tmnt is much to large to contain in a single comic series. always has been.

while it's cool to get new mini-series, i love the fact with Tmnt:Universe i don't have to always be on my comic store to add new mini-series titles to my pull-list.
it's all in one nice neat title.

as much as i enjoy the convenience on reading/buying digital, i can never give up my floppies!
for series that i really love that is.

DK2
09-26-2017, 09:02 PM
I can't imagine how Alterna Comics will last as well with their comics? Will it make it to corner stores or the Macs and 7-11's? From what I recall when they announce their plans earlier this year was to hit the newsstand racks again. Will they be able to survive out there with that corner store or not and will they be at all the other comics stores too? They'll need as much revenue as they can when titles are ordered. Its admirable they're going back to newsprint paper but will anyone care? It'll be interesting to see how far they can last. I don't see why other publishers can't follow suit? I mean I really don't need glossy shiny paper in my comics. The glare when your under a light is so annoying.
I agree maybe one day comics could go down to less pages one day with an increased cover price. I mean the 15 page story could easily happen one day. Thats like going back to comics in the 1970's when they were only 16-17 pages. DC's Suicide Squad now is an example of this. Even though it has the extra back up story.

mrmaczaps
09-26-2017, 09:37 PM
I can't imagine that stupid new Feigbusters comic doing all that great either. just diverts further resources from the main comic.

I stopped buying GB101 when the feigbuster teamup started Issue 3. The humor of that team was the same crappy style of the movie, and turned me off instantly. damn shame because the REAL Ghostbuster stuff was top notch interesting as always, and i'm left wondering where that far more interesting plot line was headed. instead i saw a brain dead kevin dressing up in a vegetable costume for some reason? sigh...

I truly hope sony is forcing this feigbuster crap on you guys. I can't imagine much of a call for it.

but i'm glad to see tmnt is doing well. I think IDW would do with cutting down on some of the titles though. If I didn't read these boards, I wouldn't have known about the excellent dimension X series. and while tmnt universe is not bad, keeping up with it and the main series is rather annoying. i'd rather have it just be all in one place, even if we got two new issues a month.

I mostly just pick up BTTF, Ghostbusters, and Turtles anyway. although I did enjoy the galaxy quest one shot.

I agree here. I was reading GBs in floppies until the damned movie busters showed up. Quit with the first issue of that series.

TMNT is doing decently, but I'd rather have just 2 main titles and tell mini series like stuff in Universe. BTTF has been great.

Price is getting high too... space is limited... Also have to say Diamond does a crap job packing books without damage. My little shop gets stuff damaged all the time and it pisses off the owner because he orders 3 extra copies of TMNT just so I can have the 1 in 10 issues... And a few times, the 1 in 10 ends up damaged and they won't replace it. So he winds up losing the sale there and then having extra copies on the shelf... We had a mini con up here and he had 2 full sets of TMNT Universe minus issue 1. If the publishers would go back to 1 cover, no variants that would help things a bit far as I'm concerned.

Any who. I know most of you all will skim this, roll your eyes and mutter that you hate me. Thanks for the free space in your head. :lol:

Vegita-San
09-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Any who. I know most of you all will skim this, roll your eyes and mutter that you hate me. Thanks for the free space in your head. :lol:

welcome to the club :). don't go with the flow, you get sneered upon :).

hurts being a free thinker!

Allio
09-26-2017, 11:15 PM
I'm getting Ghostbusters 101 trade for IDW collection but as of right now I don't have any desire for the girl's off shoot