PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather end human conflict or have millions of dollars?

TurtleWA
09-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Tough choice, have the ability to end human conflict and create world peace OR have 45 million dollars?

FredWolfLeonardo
09-28-2017, 05:53 PM
By ending human conflict, do you mean changing people's hearts so they will no longer want to kill each other or physically limiting them from being able to commit violence?

In either situation, I'd pick ending human conflict. Unless the peace options means forcibly mind controlling others or something.

ProphetofGanja
09-28-2017, 05:55 PM
This sounds like a total Twilight Zone type of situation.

You choose to end human conflict? Everyone's already dead, or emotionless robot-like beings

You choose to have $45 million? It's in video game currency or some **** :lol:

TurtleWA
09-28-2017, 06:00 PM
By ending human conflict, do you mean changing people's hearts so they will no longer want to kill each other or physically limiting them from being able to commit violence?

In either situation, I'd pick ending human conflict.

I sorta imagine a one wish scenario between either tons of money or no wars/conflicts. Let's leave it up to the person making the wish when it comes to the details.

No strings attached or loopholes.

IndigoErth
09-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Hmm...

Well, if humanity is still salvageable then I suppose I'd be drawn to do the more ethical choice. World peace would have a value far greater in the long run than the money.

But a million dollars would be nice (sans tax)... Need not be 45 million.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-28-2017, 06:10 PM
I don't believe in world peace; I don't believe humans can or will learn to get along and peacefully coexist.

The odds of me becoming a billionaire are a safer bet than pax humana, so yeah, I'll take that million.

#optimism

TurtleTitan97
09-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Screw world peace. SHOW ME THE MONEY. :D

ToTheNines
09-28-2017, 06:20 PM
I don't believe in world peace; I don't believe humans can or will learn to get along and peacefully coexist.

The odds of me becoming a billionaire are a safer bet than pax humana, so yeah, I'll take that million.

#optimism

Basically this. You could squash every beef in the world and end all the senseless wars going on and people would just think up new reasons to hurt one another.

Utrommaniac
09-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Attempt some influence of world peace with a large portion of you $45 million? It might not be much but one could ideally make the world a better place for someone or some population. Maybe it's a maternity hospital in a rural community that can't get to big hospitals far from their reach. Maybe it's water in a community without it. Maybe it's using nearly all of it to replace Flint's water pipes. Maybe it's making sure an Indigenous Peoples reserve gets something decent within it to live on.

It might not be World Peace, but one could still do something for their fellow man with $45 million.

So yeah. $45 million. I could probably keep 4 million and live the rest of my life in comfort while the rest can go to important causes that could at the very least stabilize a few struggling communities.

ProphetofGanja
09-28-2017, 06:41 PM

#optimism

saaaaaaame #practicality

TurtleWA
09-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Most likely in reality odds favor winning the lottery over peace on earth. But in a hypothetical get one wish scenario odds are exactly even. It just depends on what you decide. Right?
You could squash every beef in the world and end all the senseless wars going on and people would just think up new reasons to hurt one another.
So basically no amount of magic could ever alter a humans ability to inflict pain and suffering?

IndigoErth
09-28-2017, 07:33 PM
No, no, this is the magical ability to end all fighting. Like humankind gets a lobotomy to take out aggressive impulses. edit: Or what #TurtleWAJustSaid

ProphetofGanja
09-28-2017, 07:45 PM
So basically no amount of magic could ever alter a humans ability to inflict pain and suffering?

Yeah.

See every "be careful what you wish for" type story ever done for reference

TurtleWA
09-28-2017, 07:46 PM
No, no, this is the magical ability to end all fighting. Like humankind gets a lobotomy to take out aggressive impulses. edit: Or what #TurtleWAJustSaid

I would like to say I picked peace and to end human conflict. But I did choose money in the poll. I feel a little selfish. I imagine it's easier to forget about conflicts halfway around the world when you have super nice things. ;)

Also, I could ease my guilt by donating to charities. And I would have an increase in happiness by all the family and friends I could help with the money. I guess I choose family and myself over the world and strangers. Some may consider that awful. :ohwell:

Powder
09-28-2017, 07:55 PM
It's a lot easier to ignore human conflict when you're rich. Obvious choice.

IndigoErth
09-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Didn't even actually choose in the poll until now. While the money would be super nice, it would never leave my mind that I could have impacted the whole world in a good way... Hopefully going that route would end up coming back around to impacting my own life too, even if it didn't make me rich. (But maybe better off if it also ended greed, jobs improve, wages go up, etc.)

Now, to further complicate it... What do you think the green boys would each choose and why? (And in the case of the money, what would they do with it.)

Katie
09-28-2017, 09:52 PM
I don’t even have to think. Peace on Earth. Human lives are worth more than money. Money isn’t that important to me.

CyberCubed
09-28-2017, 10:02 PM
I donít even have to think. Peace on Earth. Human lives are worth more than money. Money isnít that important to me.

Well not everyone is the boss of a Fortune 500 company and makes $150,000 a year.

IndigoErth
09-28-2017, 10:13 PM
I'm certainly not. But priorities are different. Takes all kinds.

But maybe you millionaires might at least consider donating a few dollars toward our efforts to change the world for the better of all. (Including yourselves, since the removal of all human conflict would include alleviating the trouble people often have after coming into such money.)

Too bad names don't show. I kinda want to know who our World Changing Warrior Super Hero Team is. :trazz::tlol:

TurtleWA
09-28-2017, 10:18 PM
I donít even have to think. Peace on Earth. Human lives are worth more than money. Money isnít that important to me.

That is very noble of you and I respect that. However those that choose the money option are not by default saying money is more important than human life. With my earlier explanation of why I chose money. I'm thinking of it sorta like a choice between saving a bus full of strangers versus a car full of family and friends. With the money I would save less human life's but see the daily impact and faces of those I did help.

Katie
09-29-2017, 05:45 AM
Jeez guys calm down. I wasn’t shaming anyone who chose money. I was just placing my choice and rationale for posterity. I don’t care if you choose money or peace. Money just isn’t a motivator for me. Never has been.

And I’m far from the boss of my company. and my salary isn’t $150,000. Jesus. Its not like I called you a murderer, Cubed. No need to dump fictional facts about me. I run a team not the company. Sheesh.

AT-Man
09-29-2017, 07:27 AM
By ending conflicts there wouldn't be need for money anymore, everyone's just happy. It's objectively better.

Prowler
09-29-2017, 09:02 AM
I'd pick the money.

World peace is impossible. No more war or conflict? The only way to achieve that would be by exterminating the human species.

DestronMirage22
09-29-2017, 10:33 AM
No single human being could ever have the ability to end all conflict and create world peace. That's just impossible.

And having a lot of money corrupts you. It makes you look down on others who now have less than you, even if you were among their ranks not long ago. You may be able to buy anything you want, and therefore fool yourself into thinking you have the perfect life, but deep down you'll never truly be happy. Sometimes we need to struggle. When you can have anything you'd ever want when you want it, things don't seem as worthwhile anymore. With every relationship you build, you're left wondering if it's really you they care about, or your money. You're left wanting something genuine, but all your money won't be able to buy it. Then there's the constant fear of losing all that money and ending up with nothing again.

I'd choose neither.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-29-2017, 12:46 PM
I find it odd that people reject world peace here on the basis of it being impossible/impractical, yet in this scenario it is entirely possible.

Its the equivalent of saying I wouldnt choose 45 million because its impossible to earn for me all at once. Of course its impossible in real life, thats why theres this what if scenario.

IndigoErth
09-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Destron for President of this hypothetical world.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-29-2017, 12:56 PM
I find it odd that people reject world peace here on the basis of it being impossible/impractical, yet in this scenario it is entirely possible.

Its the equivalent of saying I wouldnt choose 45 million because its impossible to earn for me all at once. Of course its impossible in real life, thats why theres this what if scenario.

"End conflict and world peace."

End conflict HOW? By brainwashing/lobotomizing millions of people? By erasing 90% of the population? By erasing all major religions? By erasing all agnostics and atheists? By consumption of the flying spaghetti monster?

Without a sound strategy, I remain skeptical and antagonistic towards the sentence. "Millions of dollars" appearing out of thin air is much more believable. Banking error, yo!

FredWolfLeonardo
09-29-2017, 01:00 PM
I don't think the How matters in this scenario, just the result.

Either have world peace appear out of thin air, or 45 millions dollars out of thin air.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
09-29-2017, 01:05 PM
I don't think the How matters in this scenario, just the result.

Either have world peace appear out of thin air, or 45 millions dollars out of thin air.

I'm just too jaded to accept world peace out of thin air, without knowing the hows and whys.

Feels like an evil genie would be waiting to catch me off guard with the "oh snap!" part of the transaction...

TurtleWA
09-29-2017, 04:16 PM
No single human being could ever have the ability to end all conflict and create world peace. That's just impossible.

And having a lot of money corrupts you. It makes you look down on others who now have less than you, even if you were among their ranks not long ago. You may be able to buy anything you want, and therefore fool yourself into thinking you have the perfect life, but deep down you'll never truly be happy. Sometimes we need to struggle. When you can have anything you'd ever want when you want it, things don't seem as worthwhile anymore. With every relationship you build, you're left wondering if it's really you they care about, or your money. You're left wanting something genuine, but all your money won't be able to buy it. Then there's the constant fear of losing all that money and ending up with nothing again.

I'd choose neither.

Dude. It's alright to have it end with a 'happily ever after.' It's a fantasy situation. However "neither" is always a choice I suppose. :)

DestronMirage22
09-30-2017, 12:33 AM
Destron for President of this hypothetical world.
You flatter me madam. :)
But alas, it would never work. This is me weíre talking about here.

Dude. It's alright to have it end with a 'happily ever after.' It's a fantasy situation. However "neither" is always a choice I suppose. :)
Even in fantasy situations or thinking about the future I donít imagine happy endings. For myself or for others.
When you do that you end up deluding yourself into thinking those things could actually happen. You get your hopes up, and when theyíre dashed, you end up more hurt than if you hadnít hoped that much.
I choose to imagine and expect the worst. That way, if those things actually happen (which they usually do) Iím at least spared that much extra pain.
A messed up way of thinking, sure. But itís whats helped me throughout the years.

Candy Kappa
09-30-2017, 06:18 AM
I'm way to cynical to think that word peace can be achieved even through magic, dystonia bad must have happened for so many people to be come docile smiling jackwagons with my violent intent in their minds. Conflict is in the very being of every creature alive.

nah, I'll cheat and set aside enough money for me to live decent without getting a job and invest the rest in humanitarian work, and see to that the money is spent properly and not on corruption... Looking at you Red Cross.