PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Micheal Richardson as 80s Shredder

FredWolfLeonardo
09-29-2017, 04:25 PM
What do you think of his take on the character?

Personally, I thought he is the best 80s Shredder alternate of all time, and that Avery would be proud :)

I think he captures his personality perfectly, and gives him the humorous edge missing from other alternates such as Townsend Coleman and Bill Martin, while still sounding very similar to original.

My favourite line by him was when he faced Karai:

"I will not fight a girl! Foot, Get Rid of Her! (then to himself), She's a bit too tough."

I couldn't stop laughing when he said that straight up Classic line, probably re-ignited his traumatic memories of Lotus Blossom :lol:

Wesley
09-29-2017, 04:30 PM
I thought he was great with a good acting range. I agree with what FredWolfLeo said. I noticed that he sounded like all the other alternates at different times as well.

TigerClaw
09-29-2017, 04:34 PM
What do you think of his take on the character?

Personally, I thought he is the best 80s Shredder alternate of all time, and that Avery would be proud :)

I think he captures his personality perfectly, and gives him the humorous edge missing from other alternates such as Townsend Coleman and Bill Martin, while still sounding very similar to original.

My favourite line by him was when he faced Karai:

"I will not fight a girl! Foot, Get Rid of Her! (then to himself), She's a bit too tough."

I couldn't stop laughing when he said that, Straight up Classic line, probably re-ignited his traumatic memories of Lotus Blossom :lol:
He was pretty spot on with the James Avery Shredder.

ToTheNines
09-29-2017, 04:41 PM
He was excellent! He wasn't a spot on Avery impersonation, but he sounded very natural in the role. A few times he sounded exactly like Cummings, I'll have to take note of which lines in particular the next time I watch.

I couldn't stop laughing when he said that straight up Classic line, probably re-ignited his traumatic memories of Lotus Blossom :lol:

Haha, I had the same thought.

FredWolfLeonardo
09-29-2017, 04:46 PM
In the beginning, after coming into the 3D world, he said "I feel so solid" which sounded exactly like Jim Cummings.

I agree he wasn't exactly like Avery, but I think he was able to sound closest to the original because of his humorous mannerisms which flowed pretty smoothly, whereas the other 80s Shredder replacements went for a more serious and intimidating tone that felt off.

neatoman
09-29-2017, 04:51 PM
He was a fine substitute, I'm just not why they didn't just go with Coleman.

ToTheNines
09-29-2017, 04:57 PM
In the beginning, after coming into the 3D world, he said "I feel so solid" which sounded exactly like Jim Cummings.

I agree he wasn't exactly like Avery, but I think he was able to sound closest to the original because of his humorous mannerisms which flowed pretty smoothly, whereas the other 80s Shredder replacements went for a more serious and intimidating tone that felt off.

Yes, that was definitely one of them.

And agreed on the latter paragraph.

I always thought Coleman sucked as Shredder. But yeah, it would have been more economical to use him rather than hire KMR for one voice. However, they clearly didn't skimp on the budget, even if it was the final season.

Personally, I'm shocked they didn't get Cummings. He's still quite active. Maybe he was too busy?

FredWolfLeonardo
09-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Probably so that KMR gets one last hoorah on the show. Speaking of him, Im surprised at how many different forms of the Shredder he managed to do:

1. Normal Shredder
2. Oroku Saki
3. Super Shredder
4. Zombie Shredder
5. 80s Shredder

ToTheNines
09-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Probably so that KMR gets one last hoorah on the show. Speaking of him, Im surprised at how many different forms of the Shredder he managed to do:

1. Normal Shredder
2. Oroku Saki
3. Super Shredder
4. Zombie Shredder
5. 80s Shredder

Not to mention his first TMNT role, General Aquila.

Powder
09-29-2017, 05:21 PM
He was a perfectly fine substitute, but a liiiitle bit stiff for my taste.

CyberCubed
09-29-2017, 06:03 PM
He sounded very similar to the alternate Shredder VA's we had in the original toon, so he was fine. A bit deeper than the guy who played him in Turtles Forever too.

newfan
09-30-2017, 01:43 AM
I've only seen little of the original show but he sounded the right style to me. I usually recognise his voice in other things but not in this.
I hope they use him again or any future incarnations

Desslok
09-30-2017, 11:27 PM
I completely agree with FWLeo, most of the other substitutes worked hard to try and imitate Avery's voice but they never fully embraced his personality which I always found to be OT Shredder's most memorable attribute.

Kevin Michael Richardson did an excellent job. Hearing him go at it with Pat Fraley's Krang really took me back. :tsmile:

CyberCubed
10-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Kevin Michael Richardson is a great VA in general, his work on The Batman as Joker was great too. He sounded sort of similar to Mark Hammil but still his own take.

BH Daimaouji
10-01-2017, 05:10 AM
I watched a pitched version of his voice and suprisly he sounds exacly like him

Can't wait to see how polish 87 Shredder would sound like

pferreira
10-05-2017, 08:59 AM
He was a fine substitute, I'm just not why they didn't just go with Coleman.He wasn't very good although his Krang was worse.