PDA

View Full Version : How did you come across the Technodrome Forums?

TurtleWA
10-05-2017, 01:05 PM
If I remember correctly I did a Google search for TMNT collections. I clicked on a photo that linked back to the forums. Started looking around the place for a few months and then signed up.

What's your story?

CyberCubed
10-05-2017, 01:11 PM
I honestly have no idea. I'm pretty sure I discovered this place around 2001/2002. I knew of ninjaturtles.com since 1997 which was the official Mirage website, but it had no forums.

It was basically around the time the 2k3 cartoon was starting that I wanted to discuss it but I still didn't post here till 2004, till a year later. I was still regularly posting on IGN at the time as my "main forum" so I didn't start coming to other places till a few years later.

I wonder why I didn't register sooner, but I don't know. This is going back nearly 15 years so...

snake
10-05-2017, 01:12 PM
I looked up "TMNT forum" in December of 2012.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 01:17 PM
I cant' remember. I think I ended up on these forums for the first time ever many many years before I even decided to finally join them. Must have been through a random TMNT google search back in 2004 or something.

TurtleTitan97
10-05-2017, 01:27 PM
I think I was looking up news for the 2012 series and then this site came up in the search results.

The rest is history.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 01:34 PM
I honestly have no idea. I'm pretty sure I discovered this place around 2001/2002. I knew of ninjaturtles.com since 1997 which was the official Mirage website, but it had no forums.

It was basically around the time the 2k3 cartoon was starting that I wanted to discuss it but I still didn't post here till 2004, till a year later. I was still regularly posting on IGN at the time as my "main forum" so I didn't start coming to other places till a few years later.

I wonder why I didn't register sooner, but I don't know. This is going back nearly 15 years so...
Oh man the old ninjaturtles.com website was great. Nostalgia.

CyberCubed
10-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Yeah, but for some reason ninjaturtles.com never had a forum. Been visiting it since 1997 till 2009-2010 when it shut down. I remember asking Dan Berger why the site didn't have a forum way back in 2004 or so and he said, "Because we would have no way of regulating the site" or something. Given the entire Mirage staff were old fogey's at 40-50 years old at the time, I can see why he wasn't used to the idea.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Yeah, but for some reason ninjaturtles.com never had a forum. Been visiting it since 1997 till 2009-2010 when it shut down. I remember asking Dan Berger why the site didn't have a forum way back in 2004 or so and he said, "Because we would have no way of regulating the site" or something. Given the entire Mirage staff were old fogey's at 40-50 years old at the time, I can see why he wasn't used to the idea.
Well it's best for fan forums to not be affiliated with the property themselves. And besides, lots of TMNt staff post or have posted here anyway.

My first exposure to Mriage comics was on the old ninjaturtles.com website. I read the first issue around 2003 or so? I found it rather sinister/dark at first.

CyberCubed
10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
The official Nick website has forums for it's shows, but they're mostly filled with kids.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 02:13 PM
The FoxBox website used ot have a section for the 2k3 show. I sometimes played the TMNT flash games it had there. there was a poll for people to pick their favourite turtle... Leo had about 45% of votes. Mikey and Raph were tied pretty much and Don was dead last lol. This back in 2004 or so.

FredWolfLeonardo
10-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I started lurking here in 2013 when I became a tmnt fan again after losing interest in it the first time somewhere around 2008/2009.

Happened to look on Google for things like "Tmnt 1987 vs 2003 comparison" and came across this site.

Candy Kappa
10-05-2017, 02:18 PM
I don't remember anymore, probably through a google search.

Oh, I miss the old ninjaturtles.com website. One of the first websites I found that wasn't school related, and the first time I actually read some of the mirage issues

Prowler
10-05-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't remember anymore, probably through a google search.

Oh, I miss the old ninjaturtles.com website. One of the first websites I found that wasn't school related, and the first time I actually read some of the mirage issues
It was one of my most visited websites back in 2003-2005.

DarkFell
10-05-2017, 02:20 PM
I was told about this forum from someone that I would occasionally chat with on another art site.

CyberCubed
10-05-2017, 02:24 PM
It's weird to think I've been visiting almost all the same sites and forums for like 15 years. There's only very few places I left entirely and don't visit anymore.

dl316bh
10-05-2017, 02:25 PM
The link is on the sidebar of DrSpenglers blog "TMNT Entity". Checked it out years ago and lurked since. Figured, screw it, I'll join.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 02:26 PM
It's weird to think I've been visiting almost all the same sites and forums for like 15 years. There's only very few places I left entirely and don't visit anymore.
Not counting wikipedia, youtube, google and the likes, this is one of the websites I've been visiting the most for years now.

TurtleWA
10-05-2017, 02:28 PM

How would you guess you discovered it around 2001/2002? You might have used Ask Jeeves?

I remember years ago when you wanted to visit a website you had to actually know the domain name and type it in. For example,
http://www.thetechnodrome.com.
I could imagine people years ago had found the website somehow and then noticed the forum section. But now some folks only know of the forums because of using search engines. Just a quick search and click without even typing the actual domain name. They don't even know about the website. There were a lot of websites I never knew about back in the day because search engines weren't as popular and I never heard the address mentioned before.

I looked up "TMNT forum" in December of 2012.
Simple and direct. I like that.

CyberCubed
10-05-2017, 02:32 PM
I was searching ninja turtles in ancient search engines from 2001 and obviously this site must have come up. Found ninjaturtles.com very easily, there were also Ring of Green fan rings when those old fansites existed before social media took over.

The internet was basically in it's infancy back then. It was a place of geocities and tripod sites, you young kids of today will never know what it was like back then.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 02:32 PM
How would you guess you discovered it around 2001/2002? You might have used Ask Jeeves?

I remember years ago when you wanted to visit a website you had to actually know the domain name and type it in. For example,
http://www.thetechnodrome.com.
I could imagine people years ago had found the website somehow and then noticed the forum section. But now some folks only know of the forums because of using search engines. Just a quick search and click without even typing the actual domain name. They don't even know about the website. There were a lot of websites I never knew about back in the day because search engines weren't as popular and I never heard the address mentioned before.

Huh yahoo search was a thing back then already. So I guess he found it out that way? I mean, how else would people be able to find out a website out of the blue back then?

TurtleWA
10-05-2017, 02:43 PM
you young kids of today will never know what it was like back then.
Are you calling me a young kid or just generally referring to all the youngsters reading your post? I'm older than you I think, born in 1983. I just don't get around the internet as much as you. :tsmile:
Huh yahoo search was a thing back then already. So I guess he found it out that way? I mean, how else would people be able to find out a website out of the blue back then?
I don't really know the history of search engines. I just remember the first websites I went to I manually typed in the domain names and didn't use a search method. I think it was mid/late 90's.

Prowler
10-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Are you calling me a young kid or just generally referring to all the youngsters reading your post? I'm older than you I think, born in 1983. I just don't get around the internet as much as you. :tsmile:

I don't really know the history of search engines. I just remember the first websites I went to I manually typed in the domain names and didn't use a search method. I think it was mid/late 90's.

Ah well I didn't start using the internet until 2000-2001 so I dunno how it was like in the mid-late 90s.

Yahoo search was my search engine until 2003 or so when I switched to Google. I remember many people not being fond of Google at first for not being a pure search engine. Once you went past the first page of results it'd show you links completely unrelated to the subject you had searched for.

Cure
10-05-2017, 02:50 PM
I think it was through Mikeystmnt.com. Place seriously had like 5 active members.

TurtleWA
10-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Ah well I didn't start using the internet until 2000-2001 so I dunno how it was like in the mid-late 90s.

Yahoo search was my search engine until 2003 or so when I switched to Google. I remember many people not being fond of Google at first for not being a pure search engine. Once you went past the first page of results it'd show you links completely unrelated to the subject you had searched for.
Yeah I was at my aunts house and she had "windows 95." I remember it was the first time I seen/heard Weezer's 'Buddy Holly' song that was loaded with the program. I think WWE/WWF website was one of the first I visited. Launched in 1998 iirc. It would have been cool to have found thetechnodrome.com a lot earlier than I did.

I think it was through Mikeystmnt.com. Place seriously had like 5 active members.
Was that in 2005 or earlier and you hung around not signed up for awhile?

Prowler
10-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Yeah I was at my aunts house and she had "windows 95." I remember it was the first time I seen/heard Weezer's 'Buddy Holly' song that was loaded with the program. I think WWE/WWF website was one of the first I visited. Launched in 1998 iirc. It would have been cool to have found thetechnodrome.com a lot earlier than I did.

WWF's website? Didn't soem of the top wrestlers have their own websites back then? Watch Raw episodes from 2000 or so and look at when their names are on the screen as they enter the ring. It says things like therock.com and such under their names.

TurtleWA
10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
The link is on the sidebar of DrSpenglers blog "TMNT Entity". Checked it out years ago and lurked since. Figured, screw it, I'll join.
Do you know when DrSpengler started that blog?
WWF's website? Didn't soem of the top wrestlers have their own websites back then? Watch Raw episodes from 2000 or so and look at when their names are on the screen as they enter the ring. It says things like therock.com and such under their names.

Yeah the wrestling website. Other wrestlers could have had their own websites as well. I only remember going to WWF website. I think around the same time WWF became a publicly traded company and you could buy stock. I thought that was cool but couldn't buy any because I was only a teenager. :)

MikeandRaph87
10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Back the day Secret Origins Part 2 aired of the 2003 cartoon I I looked on the internet to confirm by theory that Shredder was the utrom convict to get around slaying him in Return To New York part 3. I found this site that day. I dragged my feet registering as I was content to just read thoughts of the episodes as they aired when I lurked in the 4Kids and General section once or twice a month.

IndigoErth
10-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Not much to tell really. Easily showed up on Google in the heyday of the pending 2014 movie drama.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-05-2017, 04:27 PM
How did I find this forum? Easy; I Googled TMNT fan sites several years ago. First one on the list.

Powder
10-05-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't really remember but I know it was during the 25th anniversary hype.

Pretty sure I had used the main site a bit here & there over the years, not noticing it had a forum option (not that it mattered as I was never into the idea of forums).

dl316bh
10-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Do you know when DrSpengler started that blog?
Couldn't tell you, but it was years ago for sure. He's had it at least since before the sale to Nickelodean, because I remember he had an article or two about that and concerns over IDW taking on the license.

TurtleWA
10-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Couldn't tell you, but it was years ago for sure. He's had it at least since before the sale to Nickelodean, because I remember he had an article or two about that and concerns over IDW taking on the license.

The IDW thing sounds like an interesting article subject. I am going to try and track it down unless you happen to have the link already available?

dl316bh
10-05-2017, 09:38 PM
The IDW thing sounds like an interesting article subject. I am going to try and track it down unless you happen to have the link already available?
Not offhand, but it's simple to find, so I just went ahead and grabbed the link.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2011/04/idw-publishing-has-tmnt-license-my-gut.html

DestronMirage22
10-05-2017, 10:19 PM
I was getting back into TMNT at the time.
I did a Google Images search for Sewer Surfin’ Leo (which was my first TMNT figure ever) and this picture came up:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/swigwell/Ninja%20Turtles/PA100002.jpg
It led back to this place and after a long time of lurking, I eventually made an account.
The rest was, as they say, history.
:)

Splinter the boss
10-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Through a Google search. Visited for a couple of months before joining.

Wesley
10-06-2017, 11:28 AM
I think I did a Yahoo search for "teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon" around late 2002 and the website came up. I just looked at the main page at the time. I didn't actually check out most of the forums until I registered an account a few years ago. Didn't know there were so many subsections.

MrPliggins
10-06-2017, 03:45 PM
I don't remember how I initially found this site. Maybe it was linked in the Ring of Green? Or, I was a member of the old mailing list. Maybe it was mentioned there? I lurked for a while. In 2003 I joined when I felt the urge to participate in the 2k3 episode discussions.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
10-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Googling for information about TMNT some weeks before Christmas 2003. TMNT for me back then was just a memory, consisting of

*Some videotapes of the 1987-1996 series.

*TMNT Adventures comic books and storybooks

*Action figures

Sumac
10-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Was looking for some information related to Ninja Turtles back in 2003 in Internet Cafe. Found Ninja Turtles.com and Technodrome Forums.

Optimus Primer
10-07-2017, 04:15 PM
I was looking for information about figures coming out (this was in 2015) and DVD's pictures popped up. I found the site, and a year later, became a member.

sdp
10-07-2017, 05:38 PM
I was looking for information about the first Lionsgate OT DVD and found the forums.

In fact that lionsgate DVD revived my interest in the turtles, I was a teenager and had stopped liking the turtles many years before that but I was old enough that when walking through Walmart and finding that DVD tickled all the right nostalgia feathers and I became obsessed with the turtles. I might not have registered until the second DVD came out a year later though but that's when I originally found the drome forums.

Prowler
10-08-2017, 04:46 AM
Googling for information about TMNT some weeks before Christmas 2003. TMNT for me back then was just a memory, consisting of

*Some videotapes of the 1987-1996 series.

*TMNT Adventures comic books and storybooks

*Action figures
It was kind of like a distant childhood for me as well until around 2003. I had watched reruns of the FW series and played the TMNT NES game as a kid back in 1996-1998 or so. Then never caught anything Turtles again on TV until I saw that the FW series was rerunning again on TV around 2003. That's truly when I became a huge TMNT fan.

TurtleWA
10-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Was looking for some information related to Ninja Turtles back in 2003 in Internet Cafe. Found Ninja Turtles.com and Technodrome Forums.

Found in 2003. What had you waiting until 2012 to join?