PDA

View Full Version : soft-headed figures?

raphael90
11-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I remember back during the day when I was big into Turtles. When I was over at friend's house and I came across the a turtle it was usually the '88 Raphael. Funny thing is twice the figures I found had a squishy, rubber head. I thought this was due to storage or being kept in a dank area? Then I got a Bebop with the same condition (I thought it was weird or the cause of storage).

But now I've heard that the figures were actually produced this way??? I know this may have been brought up before and I apologize but I was wondering if anyone knew the story behind this?

MikesPizzaShack
11-28-2003, 07:43 PM
ya i have a few soft heads like that...im not sure y they were made like that but prob cuz it was cheaper to make at first and when they started makeing $$ they could afford better plastic....

tmntman
11-28-2003, 08:00 PM
The initial releases all had soft heads. Then by Christmas of 88 they had switched to the hard plastic heads. It's a shame because the soft headed ones were alot of fun when you wanted Leo to decapitate someone.

MikesPizzaShack
12-01-2003, 12:09 AM
heh i just pretended that their heads melted or that their heads went into their shells(b4 the head popping turtle figures) oh such memories

Roseangelo
12-01-2003, 01:44 AM
That's nothing. The movie star figures were great for rearranging the head AND limbs.

azure turtle
12-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Hmm... Wasn't Bebop the rarest of the soft-heads? I could've sworn that a soft-headed Bebop was worth more than the soft-headed turtles...

raphael90
12-01-2003, 02:52 PM
I bought the Bebop I mentioned MOC at a sci-fi convention for $20...I really hated spending that much but I broke down and did it anyway. I couldn't let something as rare as that go. When I opened the package the figure smelled very.....mmmm, can't describe it. It was kinda sticky or something and the head of course was rubbery. Couldn't figure it out, thought maybe that was due to being kept in the box for probably 10 years. Anyhow, I understand now...thanks for the info.

TMNTGal
12-03-2003, 08:59 PM
I have yet to see a Soft Head FootSoldier. I thought I had one MIP, but I could not tell if there was a seam line. I opened it to make sure, to my disapointment it was a hard head with an amazingly thin seam that you can hardly see. Made me think it was a softy but it wasn't... :( Anyone have a SoftHead FootSoldier?

splinter zombie
12-04-2003, 01:48 AM
was there a soft-head Rocksteady ???????????

VaughnMichael
12-04-2003, 02:06 AM
was there a soft-head Rocksteady ???????????
I own soft head splinter,shredder,all 4 tmnt, bebop rocksteady, and I swear to god I once saw a soft head april...but I could be out of mind it being so late and i need to sleep lol
Vaughn Michael

Metal Head
12-04-2003, 04:39 AM
You know, I've yet to see a soft headed April or Foot soldier. I've owned all of the other versions........I'm working on piecing this set together right now.

Duckyd
12-04-2003, 09:38 AM
I have a soft head april moc, I had what looked like a soft head foot foldier from inside the pack but I traded it so I cant be sure...

PizzaPower
12-04-2003, 10:09 AM
mabe they will make softhead of the new TMNTs!!

Bowser_Koopa
12-04-2003, 10:21 AM
they already did

PizzaPower
12-04-2003, 11:59 AM
you mean that the 2003 figs have soft heads?

kj6754
12-04-2003, 01:54 PM
they are talking about the old figures.

TMNTGal
12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
All 4 Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Bebop & Rocksteady come with SoftHeads. I own all of these carded and loose. I'm even collecting the country versions since there are differances in paint and even the rubbery plastic. With the 4 Turtles there are major differances between the way they were made.

Made In China Stamp = Small Heads (They Look Like Hard Heads But They're Soft)
Made In Macao Stamp = Large Heads (These Are The Easiest To Tell Apart)
No Made In Stamp = Medium Heads (The Color Does Not Match The Body)

I'm sure April was never intended to have a Soft Head but I'm not sure about the FootSoldier. Maybe he wasn't either. I've never seen one. The 88 figures I have loose, have the same characteristics of the initial release figures, like those weird color spots on the arms but no Soft Head. Out of the 20 something FootSoldiers I have aquired loose, not one of them is soft. Boo hoo!

raphael90
12-04-2003, 08:31 PM
I think the 1988 soft-headed Raph's are probably the easiest to get...I've come across at least two in my life but they were all loose and used.

Drtooth
12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
That's nothing. The movie star figures were great for rearranging the head AND limbs.

Boy do I remember that... I really wish I DIDN'T figure that out! I lost all the body parts.... :tcouch:

raphael90
12-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Roseangelo:

LOL! It's very fun to do that I agree! :D

I just thought of something...the original Rocksteady has a pretty big head...it would be quite neat to have a soft-headed figure of him. But the chances of finding one are probably slim I know. :)

TMNT4LIFE
12-05-2003, 07:53 PM
All 4 Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Bebop & Rocksteady come with SoftHeads. I own all of these carded and loose. I'm even collecting the country versions since there are differances in paint and even the rubbery plastic. With the 4 Turtles there are major differances between the way they were made.

Made In China Stamp = Small Heads (They Look Like Hard Heads But They're Soft)
Made In Macao Stamp = Large Heads (These Are The Easiest To Tell Apart)
No Made In Stamp = Medium Heads (The Color Does Not Match The Body)

I'm sure April was never intended to have a Soft Head but I'm not sure about the FootSoldier. Maybe he wasn't either. I've never seen one. The 88 figures I have loose, have the same characteristics of the initial release figures, like those weird color spots on the arms but no Soft Head. Out of the 20 something FootSoldiers I have aquired loose, not one of them is soft. Boo hoo!

The April and Foot Soldier figures also DID NOT come with Pop Up Displays so I wonder if that has anything to do with them not having soft heads.

VaughnMichael
12-06-2003, 02:19 AM
April and Foot Soldier figures also DID NOT come with Pop Up Displays so I wonder if that has anything to do with them not having soft heads
nope has nothing to do with it because I've seen other none soft head tmnt figures come with popup displays like leatherhead...
Vaughn Michael

PizzaPower
12-06-2003, 05:47 AM
are you guys talking about the new figs?

Metal Head
12-06-2003, 06:30 AM
NO....we're talking about the vintage figures.

PizzaPower
12-06-2003, 05:15 PM
I never have seen a Fig with a soft head. Could some body postr a picture of one?

jeff the cheff
12-06-2003, 06:14 PM
I never have seen a Fig with a soft head. Could some body postr a picture of one?

You wouldn't be able to tell if it had a soft head just by a picture.

raphael90
12-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Actually, the ones with soft heads I could tell personally because their heads look a little different compared to their original body colors. I have a soft-head Bebop and a regular hard Bebop and you can see a difference.

Here's a link to a quick page I prepared, sorry the photos are kinda dark but you can at least see the differences between a soft and a regular.
Hope the link works, if not sorry. I'd post the pics here but free Geocities won't do that... :goofygri:

I also apologize for the notes on the pictures, sounds like I was trying to be a smart-aleck or lecture a class... :lol:

http://www.geocities.com/psycho_surge/bebop.htm

PizzaPower
12-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks for showing me!! They look cool.