PDA

View Full Version : comic curious....

U2WaTCHer
12-07-2003, 09:21 PM
will volume 4 eventually be on the new series if so do u think splinter will die? and is volume 5 coming soon? and how often does it take for a new volume come out? sorry about so many questions just was always curious! lol

Cascadia
12-07-2003, 10:30 PM
I am not sure.....the new series revolves around volume 1

Roseangelo
12-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Volume 4 of the Mirage Series will never ever have anything to do with the new TV show.

The different volumes of the Mirage comic have come because of significant changes in the publishing of the book. Volume 2 began because Mirage decided to start publishing in color. However, that only lasted for 13 issues. Volume 3 started when Image picked up the title (lasting 23 issues). And though it is officially Volume 3, all the events of that volume have been completely ignored in the continuing Mirage universe (a good thing). And Volume 4 started when Peter decided to start publishing the book again through Mirage.

With all that said, you really don't want there to be another volume.

Bowser_Koopa
12-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Volume 4 of the Mirage Series will never ever have anything to do with the new TV show.

why :s ? i thought it was Mirage based?

Karpo_007
12-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Yes it is, but as you should know Volume 4 take place around 15 years later.

Bowser_Koopa
12-08-2003, 09:42 AM
ohh yeah, maybe in a special episode with a "future" flash or something they can, nah....

U2WaTCHer
12-08-2003, 09:43 AM
thanks I never read comics but like to pick some up. Do they sell mirage volume 4s still in comic book store?

impetus
12-08-2003, 10:39 AM
not sure what you mean...?

Most comic books sell all ranges of comics past and present, depends on the store.

In any case, Volume 4 is the current series so the new issues come out every couple months. The older issues are harder to find (again, every store is different).

Not sure if that answered your question?

Regarding your other questions:

I'd much rather have a long and fruitful Volume 4 (like Volume 1) than a hasty jump to Volume 5... Volume 1 was the best TMNT series, and spanned 63 issues. Contrast that to the shorter and less impressive other volumes and you'll see what I mean.

In comics, there is no rule for how many issues in a volume. Although you'll rarely see issues of a series numbered over the 1000 mark. New volumes also occur when a series takes a new direction (X-Men), returns after a period of absense (Transformers), or tries to reinvent a tired, pooped out character (Aquaman... again).

U2WaTCHer
12-12-2003, 10:34 AM
ok let me ask this, the new show is bacicly based off the comics. what order to you think they will go in you say volume 2 and 3 are going to be ignored, does that mean the new show will go throu all volume 1 and skip to 4 when ones over. I'm only saying this if the show lasts that long.

impetus
12-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Volume 3 will be ignored. :P I don't think Peter likes it very much.

Volume 2 will hopefully be included, but it is a little more "mature" than the current animated series.

PizzaPower
12-12-2003, 11:11 AM
I hope that one day it becomes volume 4 on the new TMNT. I think it would be cool. Anyway I beleive volume 2 should come to.

U2WaTCHer
12-12-2003, 01:46 PM
is there much left intill we see mature stuff? or are we still aways off? that be neat!

Straight-Edge
12-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Its difficult to say exactly what the new show will use. For example, the last thirteen issues of Vol 1 are being condensed into, wat?, three episodes of the show?

Because there are two threads in those 13 issues the show can't touch:
1) Casey fals in love with a woman in another state, and when she dies, he comes back to NEw York with his adopted daughter, Shadow.
2) Splinter is wounded and trapped somehwere, and reverts to cannibalism after repeated mental attakcs by the Ghost of Rat King (a charactr who hasn't even been introduced in the cartoon yet).

Also, remeber most of V1 was done by guest artists, most who strayed far away from the concept and the continuity of the Kevin and Peter issues. Laird pretty much tired to take the strongest stories, and lay them into a fuid composition. That's what we're getting in the show. Baxter's evolution into a cyber-suit wearing psycho comes from Vol 2, which pretty much chews up the first four or five issues. Then Raphael is kidnapped and the Turtles fight their way into a creepy research facility to rescue him, just as the Triceratons start attacking Earth... then it all ends as a dream because a super-human guy thing turns back time to make the whole thing not have happened... HUNH!!!??

So, you see, the first two seasons really incorporate all the really good Mirage stories. Only the totally mature (cannibalism, murder) and completely redundant are left. Most of Vol 3 involves Splinter being mutated into a bat, and the Turtles searchign for him... which is basically being told right now with the last five episodes of Season 1, and the first 8 episodes of season 2. Otherwise, it's got Raph running the Foot Clan (dressed up a Shredder), which would be too much for kids to understand, An S&M hottie called Pimiko, who's Shredder's daughter (assuming Shredder is even human in the show), and another Tricerton attack (same as Vol 2, except it *actually* happens). Plus, allthe turtles get mutilated and deformed one way or another (Mike by becoming a writer is about as drastic as Don ebcoming a cybrog, IMO).

and let's not even *try* to explain things like the MCWeeney issues, or those crazy Car-freaks from Issue 31 or whatever...

impetus
12-12-2003, 08:33 PM
A couple corrections, if I may.

Though there was definitely an influence, Volume 1 was not mostly guest issues. there were many in-house artists besides E&L (Farley, Murphy, Lawson, etc).

Mike was not "turned into a writer" in Volume 4. It goes all the way back to Volume 1, in-house ish at that.

Stefano
12-12-2003, 11:16 PM
as much as i love volume 4 i dont know if it would make a good cartoon

VaughnMichael
12-13-2003, 02:04 AM
or those crazy Car-freaks from Issue 31 or whatever...
I loved that issue I really want it to be made into an episode...the MUTATOHEADS RULE!
Vaughn Michael

Straight-Edge
12-13-2003, 06:48 AM
>>Though there was definitely an influence, Volume 1 was not mostly guest issues. there were many in-house artists besides E&L (Farley, Murphy, Lawson, etc).>>

Ok, I screwed up. I meant guest writers! Artists don't matter to me. I'm only talking in terms of story (artists are also moot when talking about adapting the comics to the show, because no matter who did the art in the original book, the show only has the show's style).

So yeah, writers, not artists. And I also meant that most of *what's left* of Volume 1 is the guest writer stuff. Not that most of the series is guest stuff (although it is about fifty-fifty.

heretic888
12-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Mike by becoming a writer is about as drastic as Don ebcoming a cybrog, IMO

This is inaccurate. Mike becoming a writer is very appropriate to his character. He is seen doing it more than once in Volume 1.

U2WaTCHer
12-13-2003, 09:47 PM
wow what a story lol :o so what really do you guys think will be logical that will appear in the show in the future will we just be taking storys a dif points of the comic and turning it into the toon??

Brinatello
12-14-2003, 03:09 AM
I think the cartoon will continue to be based on Vol. 1 for quite awhile, or at least it'll go through important issues from that volume. If the story lines of Vol. 2 do appear in the cartoon, we won't see them till about the 4th or 5th season, depending on how long the series lasts. I seriously think at one point there's going to be brand new stories created away from the comics but still supervised by Peter. And Vol. 4 will never be seen in cartoon form unless Peter wants to take his creations in that direction on the small screen. The old toon lasted 10 seasons and we saw many changes in that series. If this new show reaches 10 seasons, we could either be viewing Vol. 4 story lines or something entirely different.

Wow is right! :o