PDA

View Full Version : Caption Cut Off

Nturtle
02-22-2004, 11:19 AM
The US Education department has made a major cut in their budget for captioning roughly 200 Televsion programs, under the terms that they do not fulfill the "educational, news and informational" selection they are required to caption.

This is bad news for any hearing impared turtles fans because this would also include shows such as the Ninja Turtles.

The department's plans would be a major setback in the continuing effort to caption television, namely for the deaf and hearing impared. Impared children and others should be able to watch the Ninja Turtles if they want, and follow it like anyone else.

Read the article (http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/22/Artsandentartainment/TV_captions_get_cut.shtml).

[Props to tOkKa for the heads up]

Whitewolf89
02-22-2004, 11:22 AM
:evil: :x Well, that's the government for you! Anything that helps people..... Gah, the idiots. You know, I HONESTLY think that we could have a bunch of chimpanzees and orangutans and such up there in Washington running things and it would probably work BETTER! *grumble* Idiots. :x :evil:

Kid Icarus
02-22-2004, 11:49 AM
That's really crappy...

jeff the cheff
02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
I feel bad that some deaf kids can't watch ninja turtles anymore. :( This gives them a good reason for them to put CC on the dvds.

Stone Ill
02-22-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but do we have anybody on this forum that is hearing impaired?

jestergoblin
02-22-2004, 01:18 PM
This article says two things to me:

First, the government is evil.

Second, TMNT are back in a big way if they are one of the few shows mentioned specifically in the article.

Nturtle
02-22-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but do we have anybody on this forum that is hearing impaired?
I don't know, but not just forum members read the site news, also it is a kids' cartoon and there are likely plenty of hearing impared kids who watch the TMNT.

damnhooligan
02-22-2004, 03:39 PM

I'm not hearing impaired, but I always watch (whenever possible) with CC/subtitles on, merely because the walls of my apartment are paper-thin. That, or I can't hear over my upstairs neighbour's TV.

Deathknight
02-22-2004, 04:23 PM
That is just cruel.

Skeletoncrew
02-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I feel bad that some deaf kids can't watch ninja turtles anymore. :( This gives them a good reason for them to put CC on the dvds.

Everyone is blowing this out of proportion. Its not that TMNT can't or won't be captioned, its just that the government won't pay for it. Networks and sponsors can still pay for captioning.

MikeyLikesIt
02-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Friggin' typical of the US to cut funding for individuals with special needs. Somebody really needs to frag them and make them wake up and realize that the majority shouldn't dictate what happens to the minorities. :evil: :x

Bowser_Koopa
02-24-2004, 07:10 PM
i also use the cc as much as i can, its a good way of getting rid of the REALLY BAD mexican dubbing

MTN889
02-24-2004, 07:26 PM
hey mikeylikes it the ava is too big shrink it man! And welcome, you should post an introduction so we get to know you.

MikeyLikesIt
02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks MTN...I'm pretty sure I got my av down to a manageable size now...sorry about earlier takin up the whole friggin page just for lil ol' me (props to blaze for helpin me out :wink: :lol: ) And I did post an intro, so it's good 'n official now. Thanks all!

ThirdMarioBro
02-29-2004, 05:37 PM
The US government sucks beyond belief.