PDA

View Full Version : My very bad Fanart

Utrom
03-15-2004, 03:13 PM
I would like to properly introduce myself. My name is Utrom and I have been member since February 29. I've been a TMNT fan all my life. This is my best attempt at drawing a turtle (I know it’s very bad):

Edit: I removed the image and would like to apoligize. Please view my post below.

Kali
03-15-2004, 03:17 PM
That's not a bad attempt. I recognize the pose from somewhere. Did you use a reference?

Still, I do like the coloring.

Utrom
03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Well, thanks! I didn't use a reference and it's only based on new toon leo.

Sheila
03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
I would like to properly introduce myself. My name is Utrom and I have been member since February 29. I've been a TMNT fan all my life. This is my best attempt at drawing a turtle (I know it’s very bad):

Not bad at all! Better than my first time skech, weel done :D

raphael_is_cool
03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Very good, nice choice of colours too

Utrom
03-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Wow, thanks! :)

Meira-Bates
03-15-2004, 03:28 PM
You must have a photographic memory if you didn't use a referance, which just makes it all the better an attempt. I should likely use referance a lot more often and use more disapline with my own drawings, considering almost all I draw is unreferanced, right off the top of the head, bored doodles. With you saying this is unreferanced, I highly applaud thee.

Utrom
03-15-2004, 03:30 PM
You must have a photographic memory if you didn't use a referance, which just makes it all the better an attempt. I should likely use referance a lot more often and use more disapline with my own drawings, considering almost all I draw is unreferanced, right off the top of the head, bored doodles. With you saying this is unreferanced, I highly applaud thee.

Thanks, it took me a long time to draw.

Jo Dawn
03-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Oh, that's not bad! It's cool. Well done. :)

Utrom
03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! As you can see, I decided to make it my Avatar. :)

Whitewolf89
03-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Bad, my foot! That's really good for a first attempt! It's a LOT better than MY first attempt at drawing one of the guys was. My description of mine: eeeeks! And I like your new avatar using it! Coolies!!!

cqb101
03-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Not bad! Far better than I can do!

CookSux
03-15-2004, 06:59 PM
I just noticed... I've been around for just as long as a bunch of people here and maybe even longer... and yet I haven't even broken the 1000 post count. Sad.

Dane E5R
03-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Eh, I do believe you used a reference.. Because someone here drew a pic that looks exectly like that, and uses it as their avatar.. It's okay to bite off people's work, but it's not okay to bite off someone else's work and say that you didn't. :roll:

Shreddette
03-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Eh, I do believe you used a reference.. Because someone here drew a pic that looks exectly like that, and uses it as their avatar.. It's okay to bite off people's work, but it's not okay to bite off someone else's work and say that you didn't. :roll:

D'oh.... busted.

I was about to say that was a great pose for a first-shot go at drawing him. I usually draw characters in a plain, upright standing position when I draw em for the first time... maybe doing something with one arm, like holding something or clenching a fist. Not that everyone does that. :D

Do we have the evidence? I'd hate it if they were more similarly a coincidence and he was honestly posting something he did...

Dane E5R
03-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Here's your evidence..
Anarchistguy's avatar = http://home.comcast.net/~krang/avatars/anarch.jpg

CookSux
03-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Here's your evidence..
Anarchistguy's avatar = http://home.comcast.net/~krang/avatars/anarch.jpg

Zinged

Jarrah White
03-16-2004, 03:41 AM
Hmm, nice drawing :)

Utrom
03-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I'm really sorry. A friend, a turtle fan, told me that pose I could use for a drawing. I had no idea that it was his. I'm serious. I'm not going to use it as my avatar anymore. I'm really embarassed! :goofygri: Please believe me! I really didn't know it was his! It was my first time ever drawing a turtle. I did not do it on purpose! :(

Stone Ill
03-16-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm really sorry. A friend, a turtle fan, told me that pose I could use for a drawing. I had no idea that it was his. I'm serious. I'm not going to use it as my avatar anymore. I'm really embarassed! :goofygri: Please believe me! I really didn't know it was his! It was my first time ever drawing a turtle. I did not do it on purpose! :(

You said that you didn't use a reference picture, and I doubt that a 'friend' could tell you about a pose and you to draw it EXACTLY.. well, almost. :roll:

Utrom
03-16-2004, 02:47 PM

You said that you didn't use a reference picture, and I doubt that a 'friend' could tell you about a pose and you to draw it EXACTLY.. well, almost. :roll:

He showed me a rough sketch of it, but I did not take it home. I did it purely from memory. I drew in most of the detail. Won't anyone believe me? I'm telling the truth! :(

Utrom
03-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm anouncing that I will no longer draw the turtles. I thought my drawing was bad to begin with. I want to apoligize to Anarchistguy. I'm really sorry and I hope that you can forgive me. :(

raphael_is_cool
03-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Dude, no need to overreact. I knew you'd used a reference but I didn't think anything good in saying so

I say carry on drawing the turtles, that's good for your age, if you have to 'borrow' someone else's ideas that's a good learning process. But try to be honest about it in future :)

Skeletoncrew
03-16-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm anouncing that I will no longer draw the turtles. I thought my drawing was bad to begin with. I want to apoligize to Anarchistguy. I'm really sorry and I hope that you can forgive me. :(

Don't be silly! Your drawing is quite good for a first shot. You need to keep drawing so you can draw better. There's nothing wrong with using a reference. This is what artists do, we observe, and we draw. I'm impressed that you remembered the image that well. We do "tribute" projects all the time at my school. We've done photo montages based on David Hockney's technique, and recently, boxes like the ones Joseph Cornell used to make.

Your only mistake was in claiming that you didn't use a reference. But that's all it was, a mistake. I don't think anyone was hurt by it. Learn from it and move on. Keep working on your drawing skills. Practice, practice, practice, and don't let one minor incident squash your desire to draw.

Stone Ill
03-16-2004, 08:23 PM

Your only mistake was in claiming that you didn't use a reference. But that's all it was, a mistake. I don't think anyone was hurt by it. Learn from it and move on. Keep working on your drawing skills. Practice, practice, practice, and don't let one minor incident squash your desire to draw.

Exactly. 'Copying' pictures or using references is a great way to learn. Just don't claim it as original.

Kali
03-16-2004, 08:30 PM
See, Utrom, no real harm done. It would be horrible if you gave up just because this one little mistake. Live and learn. :D