PDA

View Full Version : Female reptile characters.

Jarrah White
03-16-2004, 05:33 AM
The TMNT franchise has introduced us to alot of female reptile characters, Lurch, Venus, and Mona Lisa are some examples. They are all fine in they're own merits, but there is one thing about their character designs that is controversal. Breasts. Should reptile characters of a female gender have boobs, yes or no? Of course in real life, reptiles would have no need for breasts as they don't feed their young milk. On the other hand, breasts could be part of gender identification along with the shape of the body, face, eyelashes, hair, etc.

I'll let you be the judge,

Here's a picture of Venus,
http://www.ninjaturtles.com/profiles/provnus.gif

And here's a picture of April in her turtle form.
http://users.transfur.com/werekatt/comics/fifth/fifth05.JPG

NOTE: I'M NOT TRYING TO BE SEXIST, PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND.

Taloniss
03-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Oh Lord... :roll:

Coola Yagami
03-16-2004, 08:13 AM
It's a cartoon thing man. Breasts help the females look more female. And besides, mutagen always gives the animals human characteristics. Who's to say that doesn't include giving Venus and Mona Lisa human female-ish breasts and hips?

sango
03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
I think they should, the tmnt are sorta human-like..mutant type beings, like half human half reptile..so I think a half & half thingy would *mix*....

looks kwoote that way too, haha
(no big bubbehs tho..looks so DUMM!)

Kali
03-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Personally, I've used both designs. It depends on the origin of the characters. Let's take my original characters.

Oni - She's got curves, mostly because she's a representation of myself. Her origin is unknown and always will be, so I'm not sure what she was before she was a mutant turtle, or how she was mutated that would have effected her anatomy.

Angel/Cassidy - Flat chested, although her human form wasn't. Old cartoon mutation story, I think her look fit that universe.

Midori - Movie universe, she's only feminine enough to make it noticeable that she is female. The main clues are supposed to be in her face, thin body, and hip structure.

(Getting tired yet?)

Jezebel and Lalena - Two totally original characters created for my webcomic. Obviously female forms. They are true hybrids of animal and human. Their race was artificially created and individuals have varying percentages of animal vs. human DNA, so some reptilian females do have breasts, others don't.

I could argue this more, but I've pretty much summed up my opinion here:
http://www.geocities.com/cathorpe2001/comic-animalwhy.html

Jo Dawn
03-16-2004, 01:04 PM
:lol: Kali, that was great! :)

Jarrah White
03-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Gotta love that comic :lol: You know that rule also holds true to TMNT, if it was to be real, Ninjara would have six breasts too :lol:

Like Kali, I too have drawn female turtle characters, mostly Venus. I have made an original character called Medici. She's a 16 year old turtle girl, wears a pink mask and weilds a samurai battle axe. All her features are feminine, she does have breasts. Also, I thought Turtle April looked a little manish in the Archie comic so I 'suited' her up a bit with female features. In my sketch, Turtle April is undoubtably female.

Lord Nightwalker
03-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Interesting. I have drawn them both ways before myself. Their mutation made them humaniod reptilians, It has blended the species, So it could be eighter way depending upon circumstances of mutation. In the old toon, Archie comics, the mutagen change combined traits from your form and whatever you had last been in contact with, So in that case, Breast would most certainly be a possability. There are to many angles you can aproach this from. I'm fine with eighter. The dna has been altered enough that they are something unique, a new species/race. Dozens of genetic differences between their orignal state and what they are now, and yet also different from other bipedal, humanoids. LOL. Damn. This is starting to become a term paper. I'm shutting up now. Later!

Meira-Bates
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I didn't vote either way since the question was reptiles. Really I think it's fine for something like, say a lizard to have boobs because unlike turtles they wouldn't have a shell that would render those breast useless. X.x but turtles with boobs just make no sence to me. Of course I've already had this discusion with Jarrah else where and it might be what broght up the poll....speaking of which I never did get that e-mail from you X.x

TilasTrinity
03-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Depends on the artist really. I think, as long as you can make a female anthro/reptile with breasts look good, then okay fine. But giving them basketball breasts where each breast is bigger then the characters HEAD, then no, that's too much. Sure, in a femme turtle's case, the breasts are rendered usuless in reguards to functuality, they help the gender divide. IMHO, it's always a pain trying to guess a characters gender by looking for it's eyelashes, as in many toons, that's the ONLY real clue! I'm guilty of that myself, my character was confused for a guy on SO many occasions it wasn't funny, until I learned to do female anotomy better. (hell I adfmit I looked like a boy in almost all my old pics :p )

Oh and Kali, LOVE the comic. :lol: That was awesome.

Jarrah White
03-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Your character? Let's see it!

Machias Banshee
03-16-2004, 09:37 PM
hmm... interesting topic? Yes. Surprised its Jarrah's? Not really...

I put breasts on my character, even though raptors obviously dont have mammalian traits. A reptile did branch off and evolve into mammals, but thats WAY back....

But, considering my girl had originally been human, yeah, I think theyre fine on her... :P

Kali
03-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Glad people liked the comic. :D

Anyway, I just had a few more thoughts. Dealing strictly with female turtles, there are differences between normal turtles. The shape of their shells, the size of their bodies (females are generally larger), and the size of their tails (females have smaller tails).

Other reptilian species do have color or something else to tell the difference between the genders, unfortunately, few people look into it when designing characters. Not this fandom specifically, I've seen a lot of anthro art, and most artists simply stick animal skin/fur/features on a human body, rather than give an animal a humanoid body. *shrugs* Both styles work.

Machias Banshee
03-16-2004, 10:24 PM
I like the ideas of the color differences a LOT better than some options... :goofygri: I'd rather not have my character have spines poking out of her head, and proto-feathers on her arms...

Kali
03-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Kali, you hit 10k!!! :D
I did? *looks* Hey, I did. Cool.

I'd rather not have my character have spines poking out of her head, and proto-feathers on her arms...
Hey, I thought you liked that drawing... :wink: :lol:

But you're right, color is a very good indicator.

Jarrah White
03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
hmm... interesting topic? Yes. Surprised its Jarrah's? Not really...

I put breasts on my character, even though raptors obviously dont have mammalian traits. A reptile did branch off and evolve into mammals, but thats WAY back....

But, considering my girl had originally been human, yeah, I think theyre fine on her... :P

I've always liked your character design, a Raptor Girl, pretty cool :)

Machias Banshee
03-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey, I thought you liked that drawing... :wink: :lol:

But you're right, color is a very good indicator.

:lol: I DO like it!! you dont go overboard with it.. I dont want to look like a insane feather duster thing.... :dead:

Shreddette
03-17-2004, 12:17 AM
I chose no but now after seeing that comic... :lol:

I remember seeing a picture of Miss Piggy someone made with her breast hanging out as a reference to the Janet Jackson boob thing at the Superbowl and I said on the particular message board I saw it on "Shouldn't there be 6 breasts?"

I guess it depends on my mood. I couldn't care less really. I'll accept both.

Lord Nightwalker
03-17-2004, 09:30 PM
I think they should, the tmnt are sorta human-like..mutant type beings, like half human half reptile..so I think a half & half thingy would *mix*....

looks kwoote that way too, haha
(no big bubbehs tho..looks so DUMM!)

Hey Speaking of which, Sango, This topic inspired me to do a quick sketch of...Your charachter, Sango!
And I stand by what I said earlier with the added agreement that you can do more than add breast to make them appear female. I too, use research into animalistic differences. Sometimes, I even use coloration patters, like spots and stripes, on say, a redbellied slider. It all depends on my mood and train of thought at the time. Later...Again...

TilasTrinity
03-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Your character? Let's see it!

My fox character *points to avatar and sig* I haven't finished designing my turtle character yet. ^.^;;;;

Orochi Chimera
03-18-2004, 03:15 PM
I guess since a lot of TMNT stuff is geared more towards a younger audience they don't exactly want to throw reptile breasts in their faces so to speak.

As for the poll I don't vote either way.

It's up to the artist to decide.

Hannah
03-18-2004, 03:32 PM
It depends on the mutation. I mean, they're not exactly equaly part of each: a turtle and a human. Also, If it goes by the old toon rules, if the person (or turtle) touches a male, there could be a definant difference. The more turtle (or other reptile), the less female obvious features. The more human, the more obvious human features.

?Capeshe?

Jarrah White
03-18-2004, 05:25 PM
It depends on the mutation. I mean, they're not exactly equaly part of each: a turtle and a human. Also, If it goes by the old toon rules, if the person (or turtle) touches a male, there could be a definant difference. The more turtle (or other reptile), the less female obvious features. The more human, the more obvious human features.

?Capeshe?

Everything except Capeshe :wink:

Hannah
03-18-2004, 08:10 PM
-thinks for a minute- Hey.. wait a minute...
If you responded to it, you must know what it means. Duh, I'm so smart :D.

I'm gonna go take sum more smartie pills. Theys makes me feel smarters. :B

TigerClaw
03-19-2004, 04:21 AM
With all this talk about breasts, Im surprise no one has mentioned about other parts of the anatomy that you never see on these characters, Practically all the TMNT and most of the mutant characters are naked, No pants or shorts to be specific, Not that Im sugesting that you all do this, But, Non of there privates are showing, Heh.

Skeletoncrew
03-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Children's cartoon characters just don't have genitals.

However, in the Mirage comics, they have tails, and that's where Turtles genitals are kept. They don't "hang out" like human males. So pretty much, by removing their tails, the cartoons remove their twig and berries. The Turtles, and Splinter (cause we've seen him naked) are physically genderless.

jestergoblin
03-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Splinter COULD just be very furry! :P

TigerClaw
03-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Anyways, About this whole thing about female reptilians having breasts, If I can recall, back in the original series, When ever a human touches an animal then gets exposed by the mutergen, That person will be half animal half human and parts of the human anatomy will show like the breasts, The same goes for animals, If they were in contact with a human, They will mutate into humanoid form and have human like anatomy, This is all cause a small bit of human dna was rub onto them prior to the mutation, now as for female reptiles, They would apear to have breasts, But no nipples, Like in the case of Mona Lisa.

Skeletoncrew
03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Splinter COULD just be very furry! :P

You wouldn't think that if you'd ever taken a good look at a male rat. They have CAJONES. :o

Jarrah White
03-22-2004, 03:42 PM
On the subject of Mona Lisa, could anyone send me some images of her?

hiei
03-22-2004, 07:04 PM
hmph this is sorta funny but seriously with breast i mean it shows a more femalish look plus they are supose to look sorta half turtle half human that is how i draw my characters .....that comic was funny *chuckles to self*
but got the point across.