PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Of The Dead: Remake Review(Spoilers?...Maybe?)

Brodie
03-19-2004, 08:33 PM
I got back from this flick. Let me set the stage... Me and my girlfriend left from school, went to the mall and waited for another friend.We bought our tickets, and was carded. We got dinner, blah blah, then we went to go pay the bill, mind you the movie would be starting in 5 minutes. We wait.wait.no one is taking our money........We finally get waited on and we go to the theater. I go and piss then go in, and sit.and it starts. The first 10 minutes is the most intense intro to a movie I've ever seen. You see this and then you know "This is going to be a f*cking ride..."It starts with the little girl.then the husband.then the neighbor who gets hit by an ambulance, and it just keeps going.

This flick doesn't let up and that's what makes it great. It's a real throwback to the 80's horror flicks, I.E. Evil Dead 2, Dawn of The Dead. And not to say there isn't breaks, or comedy in it. Like the conversations between the people on the roof of the mall and the guy on the roof of the gun shop, via dry-erase board. Or the zombies themselves,(see fat old lady zombie, Jay Leno zombie, Burt Reynolds zombie and legless zombie).

I thought some of the stuff would suck with like, Ving Rhames etc., but his performance was his best since Pulp Fiction.

Sure, some of the stuff only me and my friend was laughing at, like when the old guy slipped with the chainsaw and gut up the doofy blonde. But it's well worth the 8 bucks you have in the couch. So skip doing laundry this week, see this damn movie!

That Matt Guy
03-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Jay Leno zombie, Burt Reynolds zombie

Whaaaaaaat????

Brodie
03-19-2004, 08:38 PM
There's a scene where the people in the mall are "relaxing" and telling the man on the gun shop which zombie's to kill. And there are zombies that look like Jay Leno and Burt Reynolds. The next zombie they want shot is Rosie O'Donnell, but things get...interrupted.

Stone Ill
03-19-2004, 08:39 PM
So skip doing laundry this week, see this damn movie!

You are way cooler than Roger Ebert! :)

Brodie
03-19-2004, 08:41 PM
I know.

Concieted too. Oh, and before anyone gets into a huff:

THIS MOVIE IS BETTER THAN RESIDENT EVIL.

Just saying.

Mikey the Party Turtle
03-19-2004, 11:49 PM
I know.

Just saying.

Any movie is better than RE. God, I want to strangle whoever decided to let Paul Anderson head the project for the first one and the sequel. :evil:

03-20-2004, 01:02 AM
All video game movies are garbage. ALL. It's just a standard these days. They just can't pull off a good movie. Ever.

EDIT: Besides, people complain about movies too much these days. I don't care about your opinion of movies. Just tell me if you liked it or not. Don't go into detail about everything you didn't like. Who cares? Maybe someone else will like it. Thanks.

EZweasel
03-20-2004, 08:00 AM
I know.

Just saying.

your insane. this movie sucked and i had high hopes for it. resident evil kicked the crap out of dawn of the dead.

Brodie
03-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Who **** in your cereal? This flick was awesome. Resident Evil was just sad.

Maybe you think it sucked because you DID have high hopes for it.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
03-20-2004, 12:19 PM
I love this flick. Not many scares (I jumped maybe 2 or 3 times) but it's VERY entertaining and funny.

EZweasel
03-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Who sh** in your cereal? This flick was awesome. Resident Evil was just sad.

at least RE tried to explain somethng.

and dawn of the dead had a crappy leading actor. she couldnt act. or maybe it was the persons in charge fault because she did not seem sad after her husband died. or even vivian, the little girl. the movie was just stupid.

Mikey the Party Turtle
03-20-2004, 01:41 PM

and dawn of the dead had a crappy leading actor. she couldnt act. .

What the hell are you talking about? RE's leading actress sucked as well. (Don't give that "But she was hot!" excuse. She was a lousy actor.)

Brodie
03-20-2004, 05:26 PM

at least RE tried to explain somethng.

and dawn of the dead had a crappy leading actor. she couldnt act. or maybe it was the persons in charge fault because she did not seem sad after her husband died. or even vivian, the little girl. the movie was just stupid.

RE explained things horribly. And Dawn of The Dead is a remake, ok? A DAMN REMAKE! So let's think of it this way, It's the second of a trilogy, and in none of those movies did they explain things, how this happened, or resolve the problem itself. Never. So why would they change that for a 04 remake? It's a nod to old 80's flicks, just around to make people laugh and jump. Just like Cabin Fever, the problem was not resolved, and that's what makes it ok. It basically says that "Well, this is the situation, these dudes are all effed up, these guys are the good guys, but that one is crazy, and loves his zombie baby."

Ok? It's made for laughs and giggles, and you KNOW it made money. And since it did, this will kick start Romero into making Twilight Of The Dead.

So stop picking it apart, dude. It's just for ***** n' giggles.

Resident Evil is garbage, the remake for RE1 was a better production than that POS.

Edit: And she probably wouldn't be sad that Vivian died, since Vivian wasn't her daughter, and that the little bitch ripped out her husband's juggular. And she did cry at various points in the film for her husband, so :trazz:

Skeletoncrew
03-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Dawn of the Dead was a laugh a minute! I had a blast! Loved the zombie baby, and I thought the whole Andy storyline was excellent. CJ was a very interesting character, and it was nice to see him turn around. Steve made me think, "Get me a Bruce Campbell type." My only real complaint? The flashes of storyline through the credits. I wish they'd left it a mystery.

As for Resident Evil...errr...I must admit that I enjoyed that movie. I'd never played the game before seeing it, so I treated it as just a regular ol' zombie flick. It had zombie hordes, it had zombie dogs, it had violence.

I've never claimed to have good taste in films.

Wes
03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
It's made for laughs and giggles, and you KNOW it made money. ... So stop picking it apart, dude. It's just for sh** n' giggles.I thought you were endorsing the movie? That comment right there made me not want to see it.:dead:

Well, that and that, according to other reviews that I've read, most of the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes. I'm so sick of stereotypes in horror scenarios that if I got trapped in a building with them for real I'd probably take my chances with the next-generation running zombies outside. Who cares if Mekhi Phifer gets eaten? Certainly not me. I'll just watch the original Night of the Living Dead again, thanks. :goof:

Skeletoncrew
03-20-2004, 11:33 PM
The re-make certainly doesn't have the suspense of the original. I'm still undecided on how I feel about running zombies. They worked in 28 Days Later, but I did feel like the zombies in this film were just an imitation of those zombies.

Wes
03-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Bloody hell. From Elvis Mitchell's NY Times review (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/19/movies/19DAWN.html?ex=1111208400&en=f547ce4376b9b3c9&ei=5 083&partner=Rotten%20Tomatoes), by way of Rotten Tomatoes:

...this second-rater could be the world's most expensive Troma film. That makes sense: the screenwriter for the remake, James Gunn, also banged out "Tromeo and Juliet" (1996), that no-budget B-movie-studio's seminal film (that is, if the word seminal can be appended to Troma). Still, this is the first studio picture to exhibit the tacky Troma influence, which means -- something, like the end of shame in Western civilization, perhaps.Troma movies make me want to stab things.

Taloniss
03-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Bloody hell. From Elvis Mitchell's NY Times review (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/19/movies/19DAWN.html?ex=1111208400&en=f547ce4376b9b3c9&ei=5 083&partner=Rotten%20Tomatoes), by way of Rotten Tomatoes:

...this second-rater could be the world's most expensive Troma film. That makes sense: the screenwriter for the remake, James Gunn, also banged out "Tromeo and Juliet" (1996), that no-budget B-movie-studio's seminal film (that is, if the word seminal can be appended to Troma). Still, this is the first studio picture to exhibit the tacky Troma influence, which means -- something, like the end of shame in Western civilization, perhaps.Troma movies make me want to stab things.

Like teenagers who engage in promiscuess sex?

Brodie
03-21-2004, 08:38 AM
The re-make certainly doesn't have the suspense of the original. I'm still undecided on how I feel about running zombies. They worked in 28 Days Later, but I did feel like the zombies in this film were just an imitation of those zombies.

The basis for running zombies, from what I've learned, is the muscle structure. If you look close enough, at movies, or games, and in the remake, not all zombies run. The basis is that the muscle structure isn't deteriorated yet. Within hours and days of death, the body isn't decomposed yet. So they still have the muscle structure of people, and when they want something, they'll run for it. They wan't flesh. Mmm.Tasty....

And for the Steve-Bruce Campbell comment....I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING! I was talking to my girlfriend in the movie and the ham sandwich comment made me think of Bruce.

One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when they run in the mall from the zombies, guns in tow, and get in the elevator.

CJ:....I really like this song...

And sure there are stereotypes, but it should be ok in a gore flick....Do you want to care about EVERYONE who dies? No. Sure, I cared when some did, CJ, and Steve....And Man did I feel like **** when Micheal said he was gonna stay behind.

For the main 7 characters you'll care, but for the rest....they're just meat.

Billy the Kid
03-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Just got back from the Dawn Remake and I really did enjoy it. Is it better than the original? Well certainly in the special effects area it most definitely is and probably in acting - but I think the storyline in the original was better - more cerebral, less blood & guts (although it still had a lot). I loved Romero's satirical look at our consumer culture in the original.

But I knew this was simply a retelling of the story and went there expecting a totally different film, so it was okay with me (although I am a big George Romero Living Dead Head).

It was definitely action packed and fast paced. I cared about what happened to most of the characters and didn't want the dog to get eaten.

I still think the slow moving zombies are creepier, but these pumped up ones were still very frightening.

The creepiest scene in the movie has to be the delivery scene. The funniest is most definitely the elevator one as has been mentioned.

On the whole it was a pretty good remake (better than expected).

I think from my prespective it could have been improved with more detail about what was going on around the rest of the World. Would have been great to see the zombies eat the news people, Princes, Presidents and maybe even the Pope (and this is coming from a Catholic folks).

But I know this would have slowed the film down and major studios don't want that. Hopefully the DVD will have some good deleted scenes.

But if you haven't seen it yet I would encourage you to go see it.

P.S. For some strange reason I came out of this movie hungry - so did my other family members. Now that's spooky!!! :o

ZariusTwo
03-22-2004, 08:40 PM
All video game movies are garbage. ALL. It's just a standard these days. They just can't pull off a good movie.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie will prove you wrong every f'ing time

Mikey the Party Turtle
03-22-2004, 11:11 PM
All video game movies are garbage. ALL. It's just a standard these days. They just can't pull off a good movie.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie will prove you wrong every f'ing time

MK was average, but SFII doesn't count since it's animated. Now the real Street Fighter movie....*Shudders*

Brodie
03-24-2004, 03:51 PM
The Ending:....I missed the ending, the real ending the first time, but I've seen it, and am here to explain it to you.

Anna dies. The last frame is of her as a zombie. However, it is that Terry and Kenneth live. How much does that suck for The two guys. But those two were cool cats, so I'm happy.

Skeletoncrew
03-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Huh. I'd have to watch it again. My eyes were kind of straining at the end there, so I didn't really catch what happened.

Wes
04-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Okay, fiiiiinally got around to watching it. I'm with EZWeasel -- this movie was awful. I and a friend were even tipsy when we went to see it! And it killed our buzz. :x

In all seriousness, folks, this is the worst zombie movie I've ever seen. Yes, even worse than Resident Evil -- at least that flick had a smattering of character background and development.

But I've never seen House of the Dead, soooo...

Brodie
04-04-2004, 06:03 PM
No effin way!

Seriously, there's more back story with DOTD, than with RE, you barelly get to know the names of people. In DOTD you get to know that Anna is a nurse, and has a family, and her husband dies, and Micheal is a father but fails at that, and wants so hard to be good at things.

Better than the Resident Evil ****. And I LIKED RE.

Wes
04-04-2004, 06:39 PM
That's two characters. And it's funny that you mention the thing about the names, since I don't even know who Michael is. Seriously, we barely got to know the characters by name in this one too. I assume Michael's the one they left on the docks at the end, though, since he did mention that during the scene where they were sitting around and talking. But note that he was the only one who got to say anything there.

Maybe I've just seen too many good zombie movies (and good movies period) to have been anything but extremely disappointed with this one, especially having watched the original Dawn of the Dead last week. That one actually had some depth, but this was pretty much two hours of shooting zombies with a couple of breaks here and there. If I wanted to see that, I'd just go hang out in an arcade near an old House of the Dead machine. And if I made small talk with a couple of the people waiting to play, I'd probably learn more about them then I learned about any of the characters in the Dawn remake. :goof:

But keep me posted on your zombie movie hunt, Brodie -- I'd be curious to see how you think this Dawn compares to other zombie flicks.

Brodie
04-04-2004, 06:47 PM
I just don't know why people can't just let tid bits about this movie slide. Zombie movies are becoming few and far between. We should be happy we get zombie flicks that hit theatres. And like them. But as a whole hate House Of The Dead. I wanted to shoot myself while watching that. How the hell did Romero think that movie was "genius"?! Old bastard.

Dawn held me off until RE4.....it's coming..it is...really.....

Wes
04-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Tid bits slide? Like everything awful about the movie? :lol: But honestly, I'd rather not have new zombie films come out than have bad zombie films in theaters. I've got plenty of decent ones on dvd and I can always watch them again (or buy one I don't yet own, like Return of the Living Dead 3) instead of mindlessly running to the theater like the zombies in Dawn just because a film has a zombie in it.

And did Romero really call House genius? I haven't seen it, but I haven't heard good things about it... Now I'll have to find it and give it a look, since Romero's movies are the best zombie flicks out there, bar none.

Brodie
04-04-2004, 06:56 PM
The DVD, he's interviewed, he said he wished his mocies were more like that than his originals.

It was horrible.

And let the running zombie thing go! It's about muscle structure. I can't express that enough. Zombies dead within hours or days arent decayed enough to have their muscle structure gone, and the longer a zombie is dead the slower they are, the muscle structure is decomposed.

Mobius One
04-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Yeha, running zombies i think are more real, because just because they are zombies, doesn't mean that they are too stupid to run, cause I just got done watching the original, and let me tell you, it is so funny and stupid (but a classic, nontheless) and they say that they are brought down to their most primal instincts, and wouldn't one of those be to run. I don't know though, I did really like the remake more than the original, just because, it was awesome. I think that is the best descibing word for it. AWESOME. I mean, exploding propane tanks, bajillions of head shots, and zombies getting trucked over is just damn cool. I also thought 28 Days Later was just better because they did explain things a lot more plus it was a more serious movie. That might even be one of my favorites.

Wes
04-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Oh, I was just using it there by way of analogy/simile. :lol:

But where are you getting this muscle structure thing? It certainly wasn't mentioned in the film. And so what if it had been? But I'll admit that I prefer the slow zombies -- they're much more terrifying. Will you try to run past them? From them? Will you fight? They're coooooming..... But with these new zombies, it's just like HISSSSS and they're running towards you in a frenzy -- you've got no choice but to start shooting. There's a subtle sense of sloooooowly encroaching dread with the slower zombies that these new running ones just don't inspire.

I mean, exploding propane tanks, bajillions of head shots, and zombies getting trucked over is just damn cool.And yeah, I guess if that's all you wanted to see, I can see why you'd like this movie more. (But let me point out to you that there are way cooler and better zombie movies along these lines. Bio-Zombie, Wild Zero, heck, even Fulci's Zombie had this stuff, and an underwater battle between a zombie and a shark to boot.) Me, I prefer to get a little character development in there, so that I actually care when the characters are in danger. Give me more quiet moments where the characters get to sit down and catch their breath -- like in Resident Evil, it makes the scary parts all that much more terrifying, since you had a chance to come down from the last encounter. Give me some subtlety. Give me some wit. And if you give me some sly social commentary and something to think about, that's even better. That's what makes a movie a classic. This was just AHHHHH ZOMBIE!!!!!! BLEAAAAAAARGH BANG BANG BANG BABY ZOMBIE BANG BANG RUN RUN LOTTA ZOMBIES GO BOOM THE END. :goof:

Brodie
04-04-2004, 07:30 PM
My girlfriend brought over a copy of Fucli's Zombie, but we didn't get around to watching it, by friday I'll have seen it. Is that the one with the shark thing?

Wes
04-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Yep, that's the one that has the shark/zombie battle. It's a pretty good fight, too. :lol:

Brodie
04-04-2004, 07:56 PM
....That makes me wonder...Do zombies float? Oh, and in House of the Dead the zombies swim. Horrible, horrible film.

Wes
04-04-2004, 08:15 PM
If you've played Primal, you already know the answer. Like Scree, they just sink and walk. :goof:

Brodie
04-05-2004, 06:09 PM
That's crap. Just crap.