PDA

View Full Version : DVD possibilities

Jarrah White
03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
As you know the first five episodes of the original TMNT cartoon are being released on DVD this April. Perhaps the rest of the episodes will be released on DVD in future, maybe even NM DVDs, it's possible...

Splinter
03-29-2004, 10:52 PM
If the first season sells well, future releases will come. As for The Next Mutation. It likely won't happen, if Disney really does own the rights to it. Since Disney doesn't often release any of it's TV shows on DVD.

Tigershard
03-29-2004, 10:53 PM
If the first season sells well, future releases will come. As for The Next Mutation. It likely won't happen, if Disney really does own the rights to it. Since Disney doesn't often release any of it's TV shows on DVD.

Gargoyles is supposed to come out on DVD at the end of the year. If it does well, we will probably see other Disney TV shows on dvd.

Meeko
03-29-2004, 11:06 PM
How did i know this would involve N/m :lol: well if a Nm dvd came out i would buy it so i could watch a NM ep

Jarrah White
03-30-2004, 03:56 AM
As for The Next Mutation. It likely won't happen, if Disney really does own the rights to it. Since Disney doesn't often release any of it's TV shows on DVD.

Typical, the Disney company wants monopoly over everything!

Taloniss
03-30-2004, 07:34 AM
As for The Next Mutation. It likely won't happen, if Disney really does own the rights to it. Since Disney doesn't often release any of it's TV shows on DVD.

How is not realising something a monopoly?

Kali
03-30-2004, 09:43 AM
I really hope the old series continues to be put out on DVD, though I'd probably pick and choose the ones I really want out of that series. I just hope it's in order and not mixed up like some of the old tapes were.

As for TNM DVD, hell yeah I hope they come out on DVD, but there's really no desire for them in the market. Disney doesn't release many of it's shows on DVD, and I think it's only doing so with Gargoyles because fans have been barking for a release, and they realize that they've got interested buyers.

But who knows, this may open Disney's eyes that series DVDs sell, and they may do TNM if there's enough interest. Especially if they're paying attention to the new wave of Turtlemania.

DrSpengler
03-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Gargoyles on DVD?

My life is complete...well, almost. Still waiting for those Real Ghostbusters DVDs. :|

As for TMNT season 1, the problem I see is that no one but die-hard fans know it's coming out. Aside from the internet I haven't seen any advertisements of any kind for it. I work at Suncoast Video and the season 1 DVD isn't even on our reserve list. I special ordered mine ut so far I'm the only one. Whenever I bring it up to customers they tell me they had no clue it was coming out.

I'm hoping for the best, because it's not season 1 I'm really after (I already have the five episodes). It's seasons 2 and 3 that I want more than anything.

Orochi Chimera
03-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Yeah Disney rarely releases DVDs of their TV shows. Just their movies but then they pull that buy it now before it goes back into the Disney vault crap.

Jester
03-30-2004, 01:37 PM
i'll buy the original TMNT dvd...if i can find it....and i'd rent the next mutiliation...i mean mutation....just to see if it's worth it....if disney releases it. Gargoyles will be cool...but i have all the eps on tape...so...why waste $$??

Kali
03-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Gargoyles will be cool...but i have all the eps on tape...so...why waste $$??
They might have cool extras, though they haven't been announced yet. It's only the first season, too.

Splinter
03-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Not just extras. But the quality will be tons better then what you get from VHS taped off of the TV. And unless you taped it when it originally aired. Or during the Gargoyles marathon a few years ago, you'd be missing the 'Deadly Force' episode where Elisa was shot by Broadway. :)

Kali
03-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Not just extras. But the quality will be tons better then what you get from VHS taped off of the TV. And unless you taped it when it originally aired. Or during the Gargoyles marathon a few years ago, you'd be missing the 'Deadly Force' episode where Elisa was shot by Broadway. :)
Even then, you might have the "edited" version, where when Broadway first sees Elisa lying on the floor, it's a head shot. In the original version, it's a full body shot, complete with pool of blood. I'm actually glad and surprised that was the only cut they made when they aired it on Jetix last week.

Orochi Chimera
03-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Does the Gargoyles cartoon in it's current broadcast form(for lack of a better word/phrase) generally recieve many edits? I know it's on ABC family and I have read that they have had the highest commercial to show ratio out of any other channel. I believe it was possibly 19 minutes of commercials per hour in some cases.

Splinter
03-30-2004, 02:16 PM
The current versions would be edited some, to allow for more commercials. All TV shows in syndication receieve trims so they can slip more commercials in them. Which is really sad. Since many of these small trims actually hurt the shows.

Kali? They actually showed 'Deadly Force' on Jetix? I'm amazed. Since Disney won't normally show that episode. It's very suprising to see them show it there. And like you said, it's the edited zoomed version that cuts around the pool of blood.

Jarrah White
03-30-2004, 03:12 PM

How is not realising something a monopoly?

I was refering to when he said "if Disney really does own the rights to it".

Kali
03-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Kali? They actually showed 'Deadly Force' on Jetix? I'm amazed. Since Disney won't normally show that episode. It's very suprising to see them show it there. And like you said, it's the edited zoomed version that cuts around the pool of blood.
Yep, they did. I watched and crossed my fingers, and sure enough, it showed. I was a little disappointed by the closeup edit, because her face is blurry, but they keep the blood in later scenes, like on Broadway's hands after he sets her on the hospital gurney (sp?) and when the medics find her there.

As for commercial edits, I did notice that they skimmed a few seconds off here and there for commercials, but I don't think they made any drastic cuts.

Drtooth
03-30-2004, 04:20 PM
sorry to go off topic, but are they only releasing Gargoyls? I mean, I like it and all... but why not Ducktales or Darkwing duck, or the like? I mean, Ducktales was one of their first TV cartoon shows in the 80's...

Anyway, I recall someone saying something about how the GI JOE and Transformer DVD's satrted out as a few episodes on DVD, to test the waters... and then they released season by season compilations.... maybe that's what they're doing here...

Splinter
03-30-2004, 04:35 PM
So far it's only Gargoyles. And that mainly has to do with the creator and the vocal fans wanting it out there so badly. There has been no news of any of Disney's other animated series coming. Atleast none that I know of off hand. :)

Drtooth
03-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Though it is rumored there may be a Timon and Pumbaa DVD, because of the Lion King 1 1/2.... but that's really a muddy rumor... It's probably misunderstood from something else...

Drtooth
04-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Okay... I forgot... rather than creating a new thread, I used this one

When is the release date of the TMNT G1 DVD?

Splinter
04-01-2004, 06:57 PM
The release date for Season 1 of the original TMNT Toon is April 20th. :)

Raphael's Sardonic wit
04-01-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm hoping for the best, because it's not season 1 I'm really after (I already have the five episodes). It's seasons 2 and 3 that I want more than anything.
Wait a second (my memory of the originals is very hazy) but did Season 1 only had 5 episodes?? I thought this DVD release was a boxset? But 5 episodes can fit onto 1 disc no problem surely? .. so what's the rest of the boxset for??

On the subject of the old toon DVD - Why can't i find an official link to Artisan's site about this DVD? Their website is crap.

Orochi Chimera
04-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Wait a second (my memory of the originals is very hazy) but did Season 1 only had 5 episodes?? I thought this DVD release was a boxset? But 5 episodes can fit onto 1 disc no problem surely? .. so what's the rest of the boxset for??

On the subject of the old toon DVD - Why can't i find an official link to Artisan's site about this DVD? Their website is crap.

Season 1 (original five part mini-series aired December, 1987):
"Turtle Tracks" (a.k.a. "Heroes in a Halfshell")
"Enter the Shredder"
"A Thing About Rats"
"Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X"
"Shredder and Splintered"

4 "Unaired" Episodes:
"The Return of Dregg"
"Beginning of the End"
"The Monster From Dimension X"
"The Day the Earth Disappeared"

I'm not sure why there isn't a link on Artisan's website.

Splinter
04-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Yes, Season 1 is only 5 episodes. And that's what you're getting. It's only 1 DVD. And comes with 4 bonus 'unaired' epiosdes from Season 10. That did air in some areas. :)

Jarrah White
04-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Maybe they'll realise The next Mutation on DVD to capitalise on the sucess of the new show. Also I wouldn't mind seeing a translated version of Superman Legend being released on DVD.

Taloniss
04-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Maybe they'll realise The next Mutation on DVD to capitalise on the sucess of the new show. Also I wouldn't mind seeing a translated version of Superman Legend being released on DVD.

Not likely, since I think Disney owns the rights to TNM, and they do very little with their TV properties. And I wouldn't hold your breath on the anime getting dubbed and released here.

Raphael's Sardonic wit
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
i appriciate the 4 extra episodes, but the trouble with episodes from so far ahead in the series is the spoiler factor. I can hardly remember the storyline in the old toons (despite watching them religiously) so i'm hoping to eventually watch them all in sequence.

Drtooth
04-01-2004, 08:25 PM
The release date for Season 1 of the original TMNT Toon is April 20th. :)

Aw! Thanks, dude... 7 days before my Birthday as well. I know what I'm gonna endlessly hint at!

DrSpengler
04-01-2004, 09:52 PM
[
4 "Unaired" Episodes:
"The Return of Dregg"
"Beginning of the End"

So they're gonna skip from the end of season 1 to the end of season 10? That'll be...weird.

Drtooth
04-02-2004, 01:23 PM
More like the middle of season 10... I like how it's sort of an "Alpha Omega" compilation, fusing the first episodes with some of the last.... besides, I skipped the series after season 9 (when Dreg came and Rob Paulsen left) so It gives me a chance to see them, and if I don't like them, heckle them on this site... :trazz:

Orochi Chimera
04-03-2004, 11:22 AM
[
4 "Unaired" Episodes:
"The Return of Dregg"
"Beginning of the End"

So they're gonna skip from the end of season 1 to the end of season 10? That'll be...weird.

Yeah it's weird. It's nice to get bonus episodes but the should have put season 1 and 2 together.

Season 10
186. The Return of Dregg included
187. The Beginning of the End included
188. The Power of Three
189. A Turtle in Time
190. Turtles to the Second Power
191. Mobster from Dimension X included
192. The Day the Earth Disappeared included
193. Divide and Conquer

They kind of jump around a little with the included episodes.

That sucks if they don't include the last episode.

DrSpengler
04-03-2004, 12:29 PM
I stopped watching the show around the time they went to Europe, I believe. Never saw any of the Dress episodes.

This should be all together a confusing experience for me, come April 20th.