PDA

View Full Version : "Ultimate" TMNT

BigApple3AM
03-30-2004, 06:10 PM
If any of you are comic fans, and marvel fans, you've probably heard of the Ultimate books they do. The Ultimate line is supposed to be like a modern day twist to our favorite heroes, so Ultimate Spider-man would be like Spider-man in modern day without being tied to continuity from the whole marvel universe. Basically it's like Ultimate isn't just a line it's its own universe. Anywho the new cartoon sorta reminds me of the ultimate books, Ultimate TMNT. They do it all in modern day, add more to it, and change the whole concept a lot. I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool to do like an ultimate tmnt comic or like have someone do sketches of old characters from the archie comics or the cartoon (like the frogs) and draw them in the style of the new cartoon, sorta modern n' stuff. I guess this is just a rant that really goes no where, but I thought I'd make a post to keep myself active here. :)

Orochi Chimera
03-30-2004, 06:16 PM
I believe that most of the new show comes from the original comic book storyline with some changes/additions.

Splinter
03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the new Series is really sort of 'Ultimate TMNT'. If you're comparing it to the Ultimate X-Men/Spidey/etc. comics. Old stories with new twists and redesigns. :)

Taloniss
03-30-2004, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't really want a "Ultimate comic." The original comic stands up very well over time and never feels dated, so what would really be the point in updating the stories? I'd just re-release the old comics, possilby in TPB form.

We have the new cartoon to add new twists to the old stories, no need for a comic doing the same thing. That would get redundent :)

Orochi Chimera
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
How about TMNT 2099 Unlimited Hmmmm..... Might be interesting.

Taloniss
03-30-2004, 08:01 PM
How about TMNT 2099 Unlimited Hmmmm..... Might be interesting. :lol:

cqb101
03-30-2004, 08:02 PM
If any of you are comic fans, and marvel fans, you've probably heard of the Ultimate books they do. The Ultimate line is supposed to be like a modern day twist to our favorite heroes, so Ultimate Spider-man would be like Spider-man in modern day without being tied to continuity from the whole marvel universe. Basically it's like Ultimate isn't just a line it's its own universe. Anywho the new cartoon sorta reminds me of the ultimate books, Ultimate TMNT. They do it all in modern day, add more to it, and change the whole concept a lot. I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool to do like an ultimate tmnt comic or like have someone do sketches of old characters from the archie comics or the cartoon (like the frogs) and draw them in the style of the new cartoon, sorta modern n' stuff. I guess this is just a rant that really goes no where, but I thought I'd make a post to keep myself active here. :)

Yes, the new series is like the Ultimate comics from marvel.(Both of which I love dearly)

Splinter
03-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Yes, the new series is like the Ultimate comics from marvel.(Both of which I love dearly)
Yay, a fellow Ultimate X-Men/Spider-Man fan. I wish Ultimates wasn't so damn slow coming out. I'd like to read it also. Especially after being intrigued by the Ultimate Avengers in Ultimate War. :)

cqb101
03-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Yay, a fellow Ultimate X-Men/Spider-Man fan. I wish Ultimates wasn't so damn slow coming out. I'd like to read it also. Especially after being intrigued by the Ultimate Avengers in Ultimate War. :)

Ultimates is my favorite of the Ultimate titles. It has(IMO alonf with USM) the most consistent writing and art. ANd it' also eems to be the most realistic of the titles.

Orochi Chimera
03-30-2004, 08:18 PM
From your response I'm guessing that you don't like the 2099 Unlimited series. I never read any of them. I just know the basic idea behind them.

Splinter
03-30-2004, 08:25 PM
Ultimates is my favorite of the Ultimate titles. It has(IMO alonf with USM) the most consistent writing and art. ANd it' also eems to be the most realistic of the titles.
I dunno about most realistic. After all, thats the one that has aliens in it right now. I know that ticked a few people off. Especially since they said that they'd ground everything more in reality. :)

Taloniss
03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
From your response I'm guessing that you don't like the 2099 Unlimited series. I never read any of them. I just know the basic idea behind them.
I never cared for 2099, no. As for Ultimate titles, the only one I read is Ultimate Spider-man, and Bendis and Bagley are gods. May they never leave the title.

Savanti Romero
03-30-2004, 11:44 PM
The word ultimate is getting overused these days.

milweskee
03-31-2004, 12:09 AM
i hate marvel comics.

cqb101
03-31-2004, 03:07 PM
i hate marvel comics.

And I hate you. :P

BigApple3AM
03-31-2004, 09:16 PM
I read all the ultimate titles, and you know they're doing something right when the first 4 issues combined of Ultimate Spider-man cost more than the first print of tmnt #1 (which spawned a huge million/billion dollar franchise, was limited to 3,000 copies, and is 20 years old).

Ultimates 13 came out today, and it's restarting with volume II which is another 13 issues. I'm not digging the whole "volumes" things. Supposedly it's like a season like a tv show or somethin. Ultimate Spider-man sells the best at the comic store I work at, almost 30 copies more than ultimate x-men each month!

Yes, I know that the cartoon was ORIGINALLY (and I say originally cuz it's really off on a tangent now) based on the old comics. We haven't had a very comic accurate episode since like turtles in space. They've made it very clear that they're going for a new installment of TMNT here, and not for it to be just a rehash of the old properties.

Milweskee: I can understand why you might not like Marvel, but c'mon if there was no Marvel comics there would be no TMNT to this day. Remember that the original TMNT comic was a parody of (mostly) Frank Miller's Daredevil and that Daredevil is most definately a Marvel title! So although you may hate them, I think you should still respect them, although that's just my opinion...

A new Ultimate TMNT comic would be INCREDIBLE. Sure the original comics were cool, but seriously go flip through and take a look at the art. I can't see how one would say it stands the test of time. Pete and Kevin were just starting out, and although they seemed to have refined there are since then (which isn't much, Pete being busy with writing and all the business involved with owning a huge property like the turtles and Kevin not being involved any longer) it would still be great to see a comic that takes the old stories and tweaks them into modern day tales making them a bit more realistic. Like how about no sweat pants on Casey Jones ;)

Well I guess I'm done with this essay, I hope I didn't offend anyone, and if I did too bad. Also if you've read thus far, you truly are a nut. Although what's worse, reading this or typing it. :P

Bourgeois Buffoon
03-31-2004, 10:06 PM
I really like the Ultimate titles, but only have a trade paper back of the first issues of X-men/Spidey....can't find anymore. x_x

Karpo_007
04-01-2004, 06:09 AM
Well the new show is like the Ultimate series in the way of bringing the stories to modren day and all that, but it's also limited to what they can show in a series suitable for children. And of course it's also limited by the fact that 4kids excutives decided to make Shredder immortal.

The only Ultimate series from Marvel I read is Ultimate Spider-Man. I think it has been very good, but many things have happened a little too fast. Like Eddy Brock being a nerdy university student... But all in all, very enjoyable series.

BigApple3AM
04-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Yeah that's definitely true, I couldn't believe it when I saw Shreddertrom being fixed by worms. I mean aren't there a zillion other bad guys they could tackle? Maybe they shouldn't have decided to kill shredder like 4 times over. I would be sweet to see a new updated rat king.

The Ultimate Spider-man book is by far the best of the Ultimate line. It would be sweet to have an ultimate tmnt comic where they could get away with a lot more stuff. I mean we have the black and white books, which are ok, and we HAD the Dreamwave book (which stunk imo), but it would rock to have a full color re-telling of stories and updates to keep it fresh.

Karpo_007
04-01-2004, 07:29 AM
I was hoping the dreamwave book would become "Ultimate TMNT" but it didn't quite turn out to be that.

BigApple3AM
04-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah, instead they made a new character and revolved it sorta around him for a few issues n' junk. Reminded me of Keno from TMNT II. I can't remember the kids name from the DW book though. My dream comic for TMNT would be like a mix between archie and mirage, using characters like the frogs n' stuff but keeping it really violent :evilgrin: Or retell the old stories but keep them updated. Like when Raph meet Casey Jones, sorta like how the cartoon did it, but less "kidified".

Although I really am liking the new Tales of the TMNT (even though there's only been one book), I just can't stand the new Mirage book anymore. It's gone too far, starting to remind me of the image comics volume. Hey, I'm bored, lets turn Raph into a vampire since they're being overused lately! If you like the new comic, that's great and I'm happy for you, but I need more :(

Mobius One
04-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I think Ultimate Spiderman is the best in the Ultimate Line also, but I also think that the new Show is kind of the "ultimate" thing cause it is a retelling of the story but just making it more modern.

Orochi Chimera
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Although I really am liking the new Tales of the TMNT (even though there's only been one book)

I don't really read/follow comics anymore but isn't the second book out already?

BigApple3AM
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Nope, it's not out yet.

Yeah like I was saying before the new show is sorta like Ultimate TMNT, but they can't really do much with it since it has to be kid-friendly. If you have read Ultimate Spider-man you should know what I'm talking about. Make the TMNT more like teenagers in a sense.

Orochi Chimera
04-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Nope, it's not out yet.

Yeah like I was saying before the new show is sorta like Ultimate TMNT, but they can't really do much with it since it has to be kid-friendly. If you have read Ultimate Spider-man you should know what I'm talking about. Make the TMNT more like teenagers in a sense.

The only reason I asked is because on the official website under that comic it said First Printing: March, 2004 so I thought it might be out by now.

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/talesvol2/02/02.htm

BigApple3AM
04-01-2004, 06:13 PM
If you go to the email us page, it says how they fumbled up and forgot to send it to previews or diamond or something or other. In the updates page Dan says how it should be out later this month (April)!

Orochi Chimera
04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
If you go to the email us page, it says how they fumbled up and forgot to send it to previews or diamond or something or other. In the updates page Dan says how it should be out later this month (April)!

Thanks for the info. I didn't go to that page.

BigApple3AM
04-01-2004, 06:20 PM
No problemo, I'm working on some sketches of an updated genghis frog, it's gonna rock even though I'm not a good artist.

Orochi Chimera
04-01-2004, 06:58 PM
No problemo, I'm working on some sketches of an updated genghis frog, it's gonna rock even though I'm not a good artist.

If you have a scanner, scan it when you are finished and post it in the "Fan Works Discussion". It's always good to see some new fat art.

BigApple3AM
04-04-2004, 11:22 AM
fat art? ;)

I guess this thread is the dead :(

Orochi Chimera
04-04-2004, 11:23 AM
fat art? ;)

I guess this thread is the dead :(

Typo I meant fan art. :lol:

BigApple3AM
04-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Maybe it's "Phat art" :)