PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate the last Turtle movie?

Mandi-chan
04-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I went to amazon.com to check out the prices for Ninja Turtles stuff when I was that they have the last movie, my favorite one. Last time I saw it was when I was a kid and I loved it so I was a bit upset with amazon's reviews for it. Apparently a lot of people thought it was horrible.... :cry:
What do you think of it?

Michaelangelo|DAH
04-11-2004, 11:08 AM
I Have only heard bad things about it too.

But I watched it the other day and I thought it was kinda cool

very cool actually, Just as good as the second movie in different ways of course...

DrSpengler
04-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Actually, I thought it was ten times better than the second one.

Samurais > Vanilla Ice

To be fair, when I was a kid the secnd was actually my favorite, and when I saw TMNTIII in the theater I hated it. But I rewatched all three films recently and ended up hating part 2, loving part 1 and thinking part 3 was pretty good.

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
04-11-2004, 11:45 AM
I did not like the 3rd one bit. There was NO Shredder, tatsu or the foot. I know that the foot and the turtles would have gotten old. I knew that they could not have had shredder because he got crushed when the dock fell on him. But the turtles going back in time is something they would have done in the tv series. The villians were dull and they could have at least had shredder's ancestor. The movie is just painful to watch. Casey jones played a minor part in the movie. He only watched the people who got transproted to their time and showed them hockey. They also could have had Tatsu and the remainders of the foot avenge shredder. The jump the shark website for the turtles said not having shredder is like Superman without lex lothor and Inspector gadget without Dr. Claw. I agree. The movie was just worlds apart from the other movies in a lot of other ways, like no Cheif Stearns, in the 1st and 2nd, who was just like Cheif Wiggum of the Simpsons of where he is fat and doesn't do much to solve problem and brushes people like april off when she suspects something is going on, April's apartment, Channel 3 and new york. In NYC They just showed the club casey took the people from 1700 to. But my fav quote was where you expecting the adams family from Don. But when Lord Nigma looked at the scroll and it said the turtles were demons and said they disgraced his ancestors, I had a hard time telling wiether that was samauri's that were his ancestors or an ancestor of shredder. But It doesn't look much like shredder. Shredder was not even mentioned in the movie. They never even showed what happened to tatsu or the remaining foot. Did they disband? I mean in the beginning of turtles 2 tatsu was about to lead the remaining foot just before shredder showed up, after getting out of the garbage which the garbage truck(which he fell in in the first movie) dumped garbage off at the junk yard. The only other think I liked about the moivie was the actor who played don from the first was back.

The costumes were not very well done and splinter's vocie was awful. My fav was the first. The 2nd was not as good. The 3rd was just pitiful and at the time of the third interest, as well as mine, was waining. One of my friends that I talked to last semester did not like the movie and I told friends who never saw it they did not miss anything. Sorry but the 3rd was just boring as well.

Buslady
04-11-2004, 01:09 PM
I went to amazon.com to check out the prices for Ninja Turtles stuff when I was that they have the last movie, my favorite one. Last time I saw it was when I was a kid and I loved it so I was a bit upset with amazon's reviews for it. Apparently a lot of people thought it was horrible.... :cry:
What do you think of it?

It IS horrible. I mean come on, they look corny...they screwed up their look, it's not Henson's designs. The animatronics were very mechanical not smooth and realistic like the first movie. For me they mostly looked bad. They looked like frogs with the ambhibious looking skin. Turtle skin does not look wet all the time and those spots, jeez...they were subtle in their original designs, but in #3 they were too bold.

And the goon they hired for Raph's voice...oh brother...
And Raph ain't as individual as he was in #1...without Josh playing the part, he's lost the voice, the funny walk, the attitude, everything.

Splinter looked like he was a dog and pathetically animated.

There were some funny things like the Ohayo Wasabi bit and casey teaching"hockey-do" to the samurai dudes.

kitsunepixie
04-11-2004, 01:18 PM
I think it had a lot of potential, but by the time that movie came out, there was a big drop in interest and thus the budget the producers were willing to put into it. Some parts of it are really good, and it's a shame more wasn't done to make it better. :tsad:

MTN889
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
No shredder = :thumbsdo:

Kali
04-11-2004, 03:21 PM
It's a matter of taste. First off, I think that a lot of people were turned off by the costumes. They were done by a different company and really didn't look a thing like the other two movies. They were obviously of poorer quality.

Others didn't like the time travel idea, even though time travel is alive and important in the original Mirage comics. And of course, we get villains other than Shredder, which is a big no-no in some books.

There's some corny dialogue, but there're also some really good moments. In my opinion, not the best out of the bunch, but I still enjoy it very much. And I think that as long as you're not stick-up-your-butt critical, anyone can enjoy it.

The Bossanova
04-11-2004, 03:30 PM
yeah i dont like it either

Wes
04-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Maybe I'm "stick-up-your-butt critical," 'cause I hated this one even as a kid. I sat down to watch it about a month ago -- at 6 am -- and couldn't even get through it without downing half a bottle of sake. It's awful. :lol: And if it hadn't already been reviewed on X-E, I'd probably...y'know what? I'm gonna review it anyway, damnit. Not a full review, but just enough to say "it sucks" about thirty times. :lol:

Thanks for giving me the conviction to do it, Mandi! :D

Jonatello
04-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I like it better than the 2nd one, but the 1st one is my fave

ZariusTwo
04-11-2004, 03:38 PM
TMNT III tried to go beyond the confines of Shredder in the exact fashion MIRAGE did...

..Unfortunatly it was the wrong place, and the wrong time, the cartoon was nearing it's final seasons, noone gave a toss about the franchise, and the plot was weak, VERY weak.

Screw TMNT III

Cascadia
04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
it had potential but the plot did not turn out great. It did have some good parts. although, it is tough to make a sequal as good as the first movie.

spikealike
04-12-2004, 03:04 AM
I prefer it over TMNT II as its much less cartoony-like (the second movie felt very childish in places) and it has two things TMNT II lacked:

- Casey Jones (even if he was wasted in it)
- Corey Feldman (the guy IS Donatello, hehe)

Brinatello
04-12-2004, 04:01 AM
I never said I hated TMNT 3, there were just some things I didn't care for in it. However, a few of the things I did like were the cinematography, the costumes (of not the TMNT themselves, but their samurai attire!), and the soundtrack. I picked it up on cassette and like quite a few of the songs on there. It's soooo early 90's but then again, so was the film! And I'm sorry, but, although Corey Feldman was the original voice of Don, I also liked Adam Carl. Sorry.

Jester
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
i'm just gonna say that it's a tmnt movie so i like it but it rates as my least favorite. I like others miss the Henson animtronic suits. the splinter puppet is down right terible. the voice is also bad. i do like that casey was back...though as a bit part...and whit played by the same actor. Question: was Whit casey's ansester?? I liked walker too, he was a smart villian. Norinaga was blah. My favoite line is still the "Hio Washibi!!" "Hello, Mustard??" Ok, so my Japanese is a little rusty...uh...suzuki, kowasaki...."
"How about Sionara?" classic TMNT.
and as hench men go Niles rocks!!!

XERO
04-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey, I loved this movie. 8)

It might not've been perfect but it was still enjoyable. The fight scenes weren't to shabby, neither. :D

Jo Dawn
04-12-2004, 03:39 PM
I don't hate it at all. It is my least favorite of the movies, but by no means do I hate it. True, there are some things that I don't like; as an example I'm not too fond of the costumes... But I still enjoy it. :) Even have it on DVD. And there were some great parts in it, too.

And I'm sorry, but, although Corey Feldman was the original voice of Don, I also liked Adam Carl. Sorry.

I love Corey Feldman, I really do... But I loved Adam Carl's voice too!

The Hedge
04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
TMNT 3: CRINGE
It's the costumes that done it for me, and as a few people have said already, they look terrible.
The fight scenes weren't too bad, but some of the dialogue was crap and corny.

Brinatello
04-12-2004, 04:53 PM
That's why I said I liked the samurai outfits. Not only do they look cool, they cover up those ghastly turtle costumes! Hehe. And yeah, I'm torn between Corey and Adam. Both sounded different, but both sounded good for Don! Eesh, there's my half and half again! :roll:

Psycho Raph
04-12-2004, 05:56 PM
It had its pros and it had its cons. The overall quality of the costumes and how they worked sucked. I mean, towards the beginning they puppetted Splinter for half of a sentence, then played the footage BACKWARDS while the words were still going in order to make it look like he was still talking. I guess this was to save money or something but it was a cheap cop-out!

It did have its cool parts though like them practicing at the beginning, some witty lines like "Tailor? We're naked!" and other stuff. It could've amounted to something cool. I didn't mind the English-speaking Japanese people because there was reason why they spoke English unlike a lot of corny alien movies where they spoke English but weren't even from Earth!

That, and it didn't randomly transform from a decent Turtle movie into a shoddy music video toward the end.

kitsunepixie
04-12-2004, 08:31 PM
That's why I said I liked the samurai outfits. Not only do they look cool, they cover up those ghastly turtle costumes! Hehe. And yeah, I'm torn between Corey and Adam. Both sounded different, but both sounded good for Don! Eesh, there's my half and half again! :roll:

The guys looked awesome in their samurai costumes, and I agree that it did good to cover up those godawful puppets. Believe it or not, I first watched this movie last month when I bought the movie DVD set. I was expecting it to be mind-numbingly terrible, so at least I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I actually laughed a few times at the banality of it all. :wink:

Tigershard
04-12-2004, 08:45 PM
I like the third movie more than the second, but I think all three are good. The third had some really good plot areas that could have been expanded on more (Mike with the japanese chick, Raph with Yoshi). The most annoying part of the movie is April's personality. As the movies progress, she just gets worse and worse. By the third movie, all she does is insult everyone. They should have left her in Japan.

Krangfan
04-12-2004, 08:48 PM
The third movie is my least favorite, but it's still pretty good. The only REAL complaint I have is of the hideous costumes. BLAH! :dead: :sick:

Orochi Chimera
04-13-2004, 10:53 AM
It wasn't the worst movie ever or anything but it could have been much better.

majesty329
04-13-2004, 11:10 AM
I hated it because it was just bad, but I after re-watching the second movie again last month I hate it now too.

Meira-Bates
04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Once again I say, I like the third movie...the second is what I find to be nearly cringe worthy, but I still like it too.

Mandi-chan
04-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Maybe I'm "stick-up-your-butt critical," 'cause I hated this one even as a kid. I sat down to watch it about a month ago -- at 6 am -- and couldn't even get through it without downing half a bottle of sake. It's awful. :lol: And if it hadn't already been reviewed on X-E, I'd probably...y'know what? I'm gonna review it anyway, damnit. Not a full review, but just enough to say "it sucks" about thirty times. :lol:

Thanks for giving me the conviction to do it, Mandi! :D
Wagh! Meanie! :P Just Kidding! Every one has the rights to their own opinions. ( marks off the days as they go by) Old Toon DVD is almost here! :D

Peanut
04-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I loved it. Just like the other 2. I loved the turtles being outside in a sort of naturish enviroment rather than in the city all the time. I thought there were a lot of good jokes too. Only thing I disliked about the movie was the costumes and I didn't even mind those too much. Then there was Splinter...he's was horrible.

Ashangelo
04-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I love the third movie! I agree the costumes are horrendous but I still like it, I find it amusing I like it better then the second one.

Knight_man
04-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Personally, I liked the third movie. It was a change of pace from the New York grittiness that was the other 2 movies.
Yes the costumes sucked but reasons are mauinly because of cost and trying to allow the actors inside to be able to perform with less obstruction to movement.... but yeah they could have done the outer appearance of the costumes a bit darker to hide the spots.

Good

Very little of New York
Fight sequences
Corey Feldman back
Very good cinematic takes
An introduction of a new villain (Walker)
Casey Back (Albeit only for a small part)
Lots of comedy

Bad
Splinter. (nuff said...)
The costumes (how they looked.)
Not enough "Casey"
April could have been better
Not very good comedy
No "Henson" puppeteering

Zachatello00
04-16-2004, 11:25 PM
It was good to have Corey Feldman and Elias Koteas back. What really would have made the movie rawk would be for Judith Hoag to come back as our favorite reporter.

TournamentFightersOwns
04-17-2004, 01:02 AM
TMNT 3 isn't "bad"..per se,it's just like people have said. Lower quality costumes,weird storyline,etc. Then again,by '93 TMNT was losing steam,so i believe they kinda rushed the film out to theaters to help "revive" the franchise a bit. I do happen to enjoy it,and I agree with some of the other "good" points mentioned{Feldman's return,Casey's return,etc.},so it's not as bad as some make it out to be. It just wasn't as "gritty" as TMNT 1 was and it didnt at least follow up the storyline as TMNT 2 did. Hey,what else can I say? It's a "mixed bag",a "double-edged sword",and a matter of one's opinion.

Krutch
04-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Ahem....let's not forget to point out that in Turtles 3 they actually USE their weapons!!!

Not to mention that killer shot of Raph throwing his sai into the Bow and Arrow. :D

Buslady
04-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Ahem....let's not forget to point out that in Turtles 3 they actually USE their weapons!!!

Not to mention that killer shot of Raph throwing his sai into the Bow and Arrow. :D

hey in 2, raph at least got to hold them hehe

and don got to use his bo. whoopie do tho...

a few things are slightly worth watching in 3. the katas were cool...especially when Raph throws his sai into the wall.

Zachatello00
04-17-2004, 04:17 PM
I really enjoyed the soundtrack to TMNT 3. I think that's part of what makes a movie great. The toys for movie three are cool too. Especially the one with april. I'm just glad they didn't make the fourth movie they were planning.

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
04-18-2004, 01:28 PM
What happened to correy fieldman in part 2? I loved corey fieldman as don he was funny. but in part 2 they made don into more of a technical genius (which is what he is in the old school and modern turtles cartoons).

Was the 4th movie going to be around the next mutation one? That is what tvtome for next mutation said. What was the 4th going to be about????? What was the plot for the 4th that never was????

J Legault
04-18-2004, 03:52 PM
I think about this type of topic alot.

I like the 3rd as much as the 2nd and Original.

It seems the movies I enjoy are the ones people hate the most.
Maybe it's cause I'm one of those people that aren't too sterotype like for movies.

I know the movie could of done better, I was woundering why the costumes were different, until I found out the Hensen Company didn't do it so that answers my question.

So what if it's off the subject from the comics. Back then Laird didn't had full control of the TMNT series. Since today he has full control on it now.

But I don't care if it did porly I still like the 3rd movie. 8)

TheRATKING
04-18-2004, 04:02 PM
i like them all because there turtles but heres how it goes
first movie - i can watch over and over and its always great
2nd movie - good not as good as the first but not horrid
3rd movie - ehh story not that bad costums and voices and some of the coments like don saying shawing(sp?) bring it down but i can only watch it if its on (like someone else puts it on or its on tv) just cant bring myself to turn it on , if do it only last like 5 min befor i cant take it :P

Zachatello00
04-18-2004, 04:52 PM
What happened to correy fieldman in part 2? I loved corey fieldman as don he was funny. but in part 2 they made don into more of a technical genius (which is what he is in the old school and modern turtles cartoons).

Was the 4th movie going to be around the next mutation one? That is what tvtome for next mutation said. What was the 4th going to be about????? What was the plot for the 4th that never was????

The fourth movie, slated to have the title Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4, The next mutation was supposed to be a story about how the ooze continued to affect the turtles growth. Each one was going to get a sort of power from the ooze, including splinter.

Leonardo had the ability to harden his skin into an almost chrome like substance

Donatello had picked up some psi powers, but as a result was losing his eyesight, picking up an almost Daredevil ability to "see." But to fight it, he whipped up some sort of goggles that helped him see.

Raph and Splinter turned into these giant Turtle and Rat beasts at will.

Mike had the ability to morph into what ever he wanted. He was not going to be wearing his bandana and pads. He would be wearing human clothes as he could just morph into one to go topside.

While the idea had it's neat points, I'm glad overall that this wasn't pursued. The concept is way to Xmen to have worked for the TMNT. The Turtles rely on ninjitsu powers, not super powers.

Sadako*sCranes
04-18-2004, 05:42 PM
To me, TMNT III wasn't so bad. Here are some of my likes and dislikes.

LIKED
#1 All the scenes with horses. At the beginning of the movie when Kenshin and the 4 Samurai on horseback came into view in front of the sunrise I thought that was just awesome! :tanime:
#2 The suspence when Mike rescued Yoshi from the burning school and when Leo gave Yoshi CPR to revive him.
#3 The fight scenes
#4 The whole Mike falling over Mitsu thing! :thyper:
#5 The Turtles wearing Samurai armor
#6 The soundtrack. I especially love listening to Tarzan Boy! Tarzan Boy seems to come on the local radio quite a few times! :tanime:

DISLIKED
#1 Turtles and Splinter costumes (Surprise, surprise! :twink:)
#2 During the fight with the Daimyo, Leo bears his teeth and judging by his eyes looks insanely mad. I can't stand that, it's creepy! :tsweatdr:
#3 The way Leo shows his teeth when he saids "Unless you're too scared!" to Walker who's ready to kill him and his friends with a gun.
#4 The way Raph shows his teeth when Walker falls off the castle into the rocky water below the cliff.

Zachatello00
04-18-2004, 07:56 PM
#6 The soundtrack. I especially love listening to Tarzan Boy! Tarzan Boy seems to come on the local radio quite a few times! :tanime:

You're totally right! I like the ZZ top song too.

Jo Dawn
04-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Like I said, I really didn't mind the third movie... I just watched it the other night, in fact!

But one thing that really gets me, also, is how the turtles (especially Leo) did things that was totally off from their personality.

In the one fight, Leo hands the guy his swords, says "hold these", and then when the guys grabs them, he kicks him... Now, I'm sorry, but... Leo knows better than that.

I dunno... that really stood out when I watched it... A few other things, too... But nothing that'll make me stop watching and enjoying it on a whole.

Buslady
04-18-2004, 09:05 PM

Corey was in drug rehab when #2 was in production...he's clean now. It'd be cool to have him voice Donnie again!

Kali
04-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Mike had the ability to morph into what ever he wanted. He was not going to be wearing his bandana and pads. He would be wearing human clothes as he could just morph into one to go topside.
Actually, Mike's power was to cast the illusion of him being human over his turtle features. He'd still be a Turtle, and feel like one, I'd assume, but he'd look perfectly normal.

I still think it would have been better if they made Splinter's power the ability to turn invisible, or at least camouflage himself somehow. But while cool, "super powered turtles" didn't appeal to me either.

Zachatello00
04-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Actually, Mike's power was to cast the illusion of him being human over his turtle features. He'd still be a Turtle, and feel like one, I'd assume, but he'd look perfectly normal.

Oh, ok. I knew it was something like that.

Sadako*sCranes
04-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Kali posted:
I still think it would have been better if they made Splinter's power the ability to turn invisible, or at least camouflage himself somehow.
I can't help thinking of this taking place at the farm house: Splinter leaping into a tree vanishing like a ghost when someone like a Turtle comes near and reappear saying "I simply became one with the tree". :tlol:

Kali
04-19-2004, 03:42 PM
I can't help thinking of this taking place at the farm house: Splinter leaping into a tree vanishing like a ghost when someone like a Turtle comes near and reappear saying "I simply became one with the tree". :tlol:
:lol: Do I get points for knowing where that quote comes from?

kitsunepixie
04-19-2004, 07:50 PM
But one thing that really gets me, also, is how the turtles (especially Leo) did things that was totally off from their personality.

That bugged me, too. I rewatched the first Turtle movie a few weeks ago and I noticed that he acted way too silly in that one as well. I mean, I like Leo acting silly now and then, but they made him come off as a goofball with a serious streak instead of the other way around... :tsweatdr:

TheRATKING
04-19-2004, 07:52 PM
doing thing not in there personality was a big problem i also didnt like how mike had a crush on that girl

Coola Yagami
04-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Well, the TMNT all acted silly and goofy in all 3 movies. One thing I forgot about TMNT3. Did they keep that thing they do with the slang whenever they win a fight or something? You know like their-

Leo- we were AWESOME!
Mike- GNARLY!!
Raph- Bodacious!!
Don- *insert lame attempt to add on here*

as for Mikey falling over Mitsu, hey, he's a teenager. It's nice knowing the guy has other things on his mind other than pizza ok?

As for the new mutation idea... I'm sorry, but that sounded like a worse bomb than the actual TMNT3. Many fans and kids would be confused and everyone would think that superhero stuff have even less business in a TMNT movie than time travel did. Leave that kinda idea for a comic or an ep or something.

Meira-Bates
04-20-2004, 07:21 AM
The only thing I liked for the unmade TMNT 4 was Don's mutation...and that was mostly cause it not only made sence, but had a back lash (his vision problem).

UltimateTurtleX2
04-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Well I like 3 there was nothing wrong with it i liked the others better though

i liked 2 the best just because i thought it was cool the first one was pretty nice man i wish i could still watch the first movie but my old vcr was mean and chewed up the whole thing and broke it ()&*$!(_^^&~!@_!

Jo Dawn
04-21-2004, 02:22 PM
The only thing I liked for the unmade TMNT 4 was Don's mutation...and that was mostly cause it not only made sence, but had a back lash (his vision problem).

I totally agree with that. That's my exact thought. I liked Don's the most... because it had repercussions...

Drtooth
04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
I may be saying this becasue I got the TMNT3 tape for a buck, but ... I did enjoy it. Not as good as the first one... not by a long shot. Haven't seen OOZe for a long time, so i can't really judge it to that.

It's pretty good, and it's one of those films that just play better on video on TV... the costumes did stink, and I hated the Splinter they used. But at least Splinter didn't say... "I made a funny.... AGAIN!"

TilasTrinity
04-21-2004, 08:18 PM
While nothing can compare to TMNT I, TMNT III had its moments too. I liked them being out in the open more. Though the costumes DID suck beyond all form of sucking. :tsweatdr: And Apilr was just... scary. I didn't like her at all. The hair.... O.o; Though I did like some of the jokes, and the actions scenes.