PDA

View Full Version : SEGA is falling apart

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 09:40 PM
The world is collapsing for Sega fans everywhere. It's been coming for some time now, but the entire company is falling apart, and if this little part of news comes true, it will be the end. Read ahead...

http://tssznews.com/story.php?subaction=showfull&id=1081032619&archive =&start_from=&ucat=5&

For those too lazy to click, I will quote...

Will Naka jump from Sega?

04.03.2004 - An editorial, published on April Fools' Day, both seems true and suggests further Sega fallout

by Tristan Bresnen

An editorial published by Kikizo Games head Adam Doree, meant to outline some of the outlandish, yet juicier and more legitimate stories of concern on April Fools Day, suggests that Sonic Team head Yuji Naka, along with several other prominent Sega figures, may jump ship from the company following Sammy buying a majority stake. Citing the latest issue of Edge magazine, Doree writes:

Far more interesting was a paragraph suggesting what all Sega fans fear most: that Yuji Naka, Yu Suzuki and Toshihiro Nagoshi will all follow the lead of Mizuguchi-san and do a runner. There are reports from Japanese insiders that the mood is very bleak at Sega. Some say that Sega president Hisao Oguchi, who opposed the Sammy merger, will have no option but to resign, and that key Sega staff, such as Nagoshi, Naka and Suzuki, will follow.

The story seems far-fetchec, but Doree's article also mentioned true stories, such as the latest Tekken spin-off game involving Nina Williams and the temporary hiatus of XSN Sports games for the year. We'll see if this leads anywhere.

Basically, what this means is that the future of Sega is in question, the future of Sonic the Hedgehog is in question, and there is more to worry about. At last year's E3, Sega and Sonic Team had a buttload of stuff to show. This year, all they have is this...

SEGA
Super Monkey Ball 3 (Cube)
Virtua Fighter Quest (Cube)
Puyo Puyo Fever (GBA)

And not a thing from Sonic Team (with Sonic Advance 3 about to be released). This is bad, REALLY bad for Sega fans. If Sammy has their way, and so far they have, all development groups (Sonic Team, AM2, Amusement Vision, WOW, Wave Master ect.) will be pulled into one mass group which is easier for Sammy to control. They will force Sega to create their own crappy games (filth like Guilty Gear), and worst of all, all games would be Arcade exclusive, with NO HOME PORTS.

If this begins to happen, Sega will die. I think Sonic Team should buy the Sonic the hedgehog franchise while they have the chance, and get themselves out of the building before Sammy knocks it down on their heads. Sonic Team could surive as an independent developer.

I really think that if Sammy takes over the Sonic franchise, they will simply bury him. They seem to only want arcade games (which are dieing in America, but not in Japan, which would mean that America would hardly get any games released), and in that case, they would have no need for Sonic. They would simply bury him, and replace him with Guilty Gear. Sonic Team needs to get their stuff and run like hell. Anyway, I reccomend that Sonic fans send emails to Sonic Team non-stop and tell them to grab Sonic and leave. The end is coming, and I hope Sonic and Sonic Team can get out before it all blows up.

GK Punk
04-15-2004, 09:41 PM
...I like Gulty Gear

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 09:45 PM
sorry, I just don't want Sonic to die for it. :cry:

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings :(

Kid Icarus
04-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Hm... grab Sonic and run to... NINTENDO! Huzza!!!!!!! Shazam!!!! Otherexcitingword!!!!!!!

I know, I know, it'll pry never happen. I don't think Sonic Team has the resources to be an independent developer though. Publishing a title takes uber loads of cash.

But the word on the net IS that Nintendo is looking to buy talented studios... And this would be just the kinda PR they need after the horrible Silicon Knights announcement.

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 09:49 PM
GOD YES! That is exactly what they need. Sonic Team was made for Nintendo. True, it'll probobly never happen, but to have Mario and Sonic under the same roof......sigh.

Nintendo buying Sonic Team = heaven.

Kid Icarus
04-15-2004, 09:50 PM
GOD YES! That is exactly what they need. Sonic Team was made for Nintendo. True, it'll probobly never happen, but to have Mario and Sonic under the same roof......sigh.

Nintendo buying team = heaven. Hm... I sense a possible internet campaign ;).

And just think... then Nintendo could put Sonic in to the next Smash Bros. game like every one wanted with Melee ;).

GK Punk
04-15-2004, 09:51 PM
lol

Yeah I've always Compared Nintendo/Sega to WWF/WCW.
And more and more everyday it's starting to look that way.

(Hey Gwg, it should be tu oui ryja fyhk?)

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 09:52 PM
If Nintendo bought Sonic Team, and put Sonic in the next Smash Bros. ,we can take that old April fools joke and shove it up EGM's ass! :lol:

I'm building a website. I think I'll start a patition, and start a racket across every message board I can find.....

Kid Icarus
04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
lol

Yeah I've always Compared Nintendo/Sega to WWF/WCW.
And more and more everyday it's starting to look that way.

(Hey Gwg, it should be tu oui ryja fyhk?)

Lots of people have that same though. And I think both companies could benefit from it really. Let SEGA keep like 30% of the share in Sonic Team so they make money, and have Nintendo buy the other 70% effictively making them a second party. Mr. Miyamoto helps with a new 3-D Sonic game, and character development (Miyamoto is easily the best person alive at creating mascots, after all). Nintendo puts their name on it, and presto, million seller.

Nintendo would also gain a studio who knows how to pull off a good RPG, and online games. And lets not forget that Sonic Team was the first stuido to use the GBA/GCN connectivity with Sonic Adventure 2:Battle.

(this is what happens when his decoding list has an I and a J right by each other ;).)

GK Punk
04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
No I agree, I feel Nintendo SHOULD put a bid on Sega and their copyrights.
first of all, several members of Sega HATE to Work for Sony (They blame Sony for their downfall, even above Nintendo). Second, it would be like a Dream come true. I love all of Sega's quirky arcade style games, and I think Nintendo's GC and GCN would be the perfect platform for them.

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Sonic Team would fit Nintendo perfectly. Sega would die, but it looks like they're going to anyway. :cry: :thumbsdo: :( :cry:

The video game market will suck without them.

God, please let Nintendo come through.

AHHHHH

what if Microsoft beat them to it........

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sega's arcade titles have always been fun GK. Daytona USA was the king of them all. Daytona 2 was kinda crappy though.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:08 PM
This is terrible! Well not all terrible. If Sonic Team were to swipe Sonic and run....run into Nintendo's wide open arms...I would probably die...and it would be a happy death. JUST IMAGINE! But the chances are slim. I don't want Sonic to die. :cry:

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 10:12 PM
To loose Sonic would be to loose a chunk of gaming. Nintendo did just open that portfolio for Mergers and buy outs. This would be the perfect thing for it.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
I can see it now and it fills me with such a great joy. If the videogame gods are merciful they will allow such a thing to happen.

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 10:24 PM
ThirdMarioBro - *prays to video game gods*

Gaming gods - "Hello, it's-a-me....I mean us. The video game gods.

ThirdMarioBro - I beg of you oh mighty ones, please let the Sega staff run to Nintendo.

Gaming gods - Okie dokie, I'm ....I mean we're-a-going to do that-a for you.

ThirdMarioBro - I smell a rat.

Gaming gods - No, you smell an Italian plumber, and I'm-a your boss! Let's-a go take Sega, and-a reascue Sonic!

ThirdMarioBro - Woo-Hoo!!!

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:28 PM
:lol: Mario is god. It's true. I can just see the commercials now. A new Smash Bros. Mario and Pikachu fighting....then ZOOM! Sonic just runs by and says some kind of wise ass comment. Then the Nintendo Gamecube logo and right after it SEGA! With the classic Sega scream!

04-15-2004, 10:29 PM
......I like games. :D

Kid Icarus
04-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I say it's damn time Nintendo cracks in to their 6 Billion dollar war chest and stock up on some arsenal.

The things these 2 could do together! It'd be mind numbing!

It's also be nice to see the core of Sega with Nintendo, to take down Sony and Microsoft. Or at least their videogame divisions :lol: .

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Sega and Nintendo working together side by side. Easily the two best game companies in the world. No one could stand up to them.

04-15-2004, 10:33 PM
SQUAREENIX! ...........I'll go to my corner now.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes you get in that corner and think about what you've said! :x

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Remember that official art for Smash Bros. Melee, I think it's the Japanese box art where they are all standing on the desert looking twords something, while Mario looks like he's about to yell "Charge!"? I've always imagineds Sonic by Mario's side in the picture, and Sony and Microsoft on the other side of that desert about to get the asses of all their franchises handed to them......that would make a good flash movie......anyway...

Nintendo needs to get in that war chest and pull out a few thousand Ben Franklins and wave them before Sega's people. This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Or better yet, remember the old 64 Smash Bros. commercial? Imagine Sonic in that one! That was such a classic commercial!

Hyper Metal Sonic
04-15-2004, 10:37 PM
*sigh*

Poor Sega...poor Nintendo.

These are the folks that are responsible for saving Videogaming in the mid-80s to begin with, and now they're ousted by multi-million dollar companies that are in it just to make money.

I'm probably wrong, but there's just something about Sega that SCREAMS originallity, and if that goes under, I'm sure as hell am going to miss it.

I mean, come on..Jet Grind Radio, Rez, Space Channel 5, Seaman, Shenmue, NiGHTS Into Dreams, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Chu Chu Rocket, The Typing of the Dead...

These are all freaking FUN AS HELL, GREAT GAMES, coming out of a great company...

Smilebit (JGR, Typing of the Dead, etc), AM2 (Virtua Fighter, Shenmue), Sonic Team (PSO, Sonic), United Game Artists (Space Channel 5, Rez), Hitmaker (Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally), Wow (Skies of Arcadia)...these folks are what makes gaming interesting these days.

Yet, 80% of gamers go, "ooo, look, grand theft auto, I can shoot stuff and kill people, fun!"

It just sickens me, the whole lot of it. You show an ounce of originality in this business and you get driven into the ground.

*sigh*...

Well, all I can say is good luck, Sega, and good luck, Sonic Team.

I definitely need to get a new copy of JGR, and I'm considering making it my business to collect all 250 US-released Dreamcast games available..should I go for it?

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:42 PM
It makes me sick too, but there's nothing we can do about it. Sony brought the "casual gamers" into the business and now Microsoft has followed suit in making games that cater to that audience. I'm afraid the more mainstream videogames get the worse the products will get.

Kid Icarus
04-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes you get in that corner and think about what you've said! :x off topic: Actually, if Nintendo took Square Enix from Sony, Nintendo would see a HUGE boom in sales in Japan, and even over here.

I mark the loss of Squaresoft as the turning point for Nintendo. If they hadn't left, I can near garentee you that Playstation would have died a swift death.

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 10:51 PM
It makes me sick too, but there's nothing we can do about it. Sony brought the "casual gamers" into the business and now Microsoft has followed suit in making games that cater to that audience. I'm afraid the more mainstream videogames get the worse the products will get.

Yep, that's what i've been saying for years. All those fat, couch potatos sitting on their asses playing Madden 2035 between super bowls are ruining the industry. It went from "who can come up with the most original gameplay" to "who can hire the phatest rapper to yell in the background while we blow up police stations". The industry is becoming more and more like Hollywood every day, and it's becoming S*** for it.

I definitely need to get a new copy of JGR, and I'm considering making it my business to collect all 250 US-released Dreamcast games available..should I go for it?

Go for it! That would be an awesome collection of awesome stuff. Wonderful idea HMS.

I mark the loss of Squaresoft as the turning point for Nintendo. If they hadn't left, I can near garentee you that Playstation would have died a swift death.

True. They seem to be working on that too, founding that co-owned studio recently with Square and all. The day Final Fantasy goes Nintendo-only again is the day that Sony gets spanked. Microsoft....who gives a **** about them anyway. I hope that the N5 destroys both of them. I really do.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm convinced I will go to EB Games and buy myself a Dreamcast as soon as possible. I've heard nothing but good things and though I've played it quite a bit I haven't played even close to a quarter of the games people say are outstanding. Anyone want to give me a couple good games to pick up if possible? Maybe 2 or 3. Sonic Adventure is a given since I never played the first one.

04-15-2004, 10:59 PM
You should get Ikaruga imported.

"Mmmm....it's been a while." :D

Meeko
04-15-2004, 11:00 PM
I have a dreamcast There cool
I got sonic advenure I love it
And i used too Have crazy taxi But it Kinda broke

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
:lol: His relationship with his Dreamcast kinda scares me. "You have to leave! He knows you play PC games!"

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 11:06 PM
*pets Dreamcast lovingly and.......*......HEY QUIT WATCHING!!!!

*pets Dreamcast some more....and more....and more....

Kid Icarus
04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
You should get Ikaruga imported.

"Mmmm....it's been a while." :D Or, he could just buy the Gamecube version ;).

Which I HIGHLY recomend if you enjoy breaking controllers out of frustration. :lol: .

Hyper Metal Sonic
04-15-2004, 11:15 PM
List of 10 Must-Have Dreamcast Games

1) Shenmue
2) Jet Grind Radio
3) Rayman 2: The Great Escape
4) Sonic Adventure (Sonic Adventure 2 is OKAY)
5) Phantasy Star Online (And you MUST experience online play.)
6) Crazy Taxi and/or Crazy Taxi 2
7) Grandia II
8 ) Skies of Arcadia
9) Seaman
10) Chu Chu Rocket
11) Space Channel 5
12) Sword of the Beserk: Gut's Rage
13) Virtua Tennis and/or Tennis 2k2 (One is a sequel-same gameplay though)
14) Typing of the Dead
15) Rez (You'll either have to import this or burn a copy. Right now all I have is a burned copy, but I plan on buying the JPN or PAL version as soon as I can.)

Right now I have about 50-something Dreamcast games. That means I've 1/5th of the way there. I only wish I could buy many of them new, but that isn't going to happen. I guess it's used for me.

Also, where am I going to put 250 Dreamcast games? lol I just bought a 60-CD wallet to put the ones I have now in, and they EXACTLY fit. lol. I keep the cases in a shoebox in my closet. ;-)

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/MaximumZer

If you buy a Dreamcast, make sure you check out http://www.dcemulation.com for all sorts of neat emulators, homebrew games, ports, and homebrew apps for the Dreamcast. Stuff like playing DivX movies, Playing MP3s, Doom, and other cool stuff is available.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm not exactly a FAN of breaking stuff...it just kinda happens. :goofygri:

Thanks HMS! I'm looking around ebgames.com and I've been choosing games and I've come across and picked most of what you just said. :D I'm real happy about this. The system is super cheap too! I can't wait to get it!

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Speaking of breaking controllers, I'm gonna go play Mario Kart Double Dash, Special Cup on 150cc, and go to bed. Say goodbye to the world my poor Wavebird. :lol: :lol:

04-15-2004, 11:18 PM
God speed, man. I'll lose my wavebird to that game one day.

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:18 PM
:lol: I'm too scared to buy a Wavebird. $50 bucks cdn to have it tossed across the room...I don't think I could live with myself.

04-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Do you know the exchange rate for USD to CDN?

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 11:22 PM
*plays F-Zero GX*

*Sets to Master Class*

*Gets arse kicked*

*chunks wavebird*

*wavebird hits wall with a classic Sonic Ka-ching sound*

*Hits self on head*

*wood knocking sound*

It's hard to resist isn't it. :lol:

Night dudes :wink:

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Not sure about the exact exchange rate, but here a Wavebird is something like $45.99. Most GCN games are $59.99 or $69.99 and the more expensive ones like EA Games titles are $74.99. The players choice titles are $29.99. Which really isn't very much at all. How much are things in the US? Games are normally $50 aren't they?

04-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Yeah, new release games are typically $50. Some can be $40 (such as the TMNT game and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for GCN). GBA games range from $30-35. Wavebirds are $30.

Hyper Metal Sonic
04-15-2004, 11:27 PM
By Gabe:

think Ikaruga is Japanese for "Mind ****". For those of you unfamiliar with the concept behind the game I will cover it briefly for you here. Ikaruga is a top down shooter in which all the enemies you will fight are divided into two groups, black or white. Your ship also has two sides to it, black and white and you can flip between these sides at anytime. When your ship is black you can absorb black shots which charge your mega shot meter, you deal more damage against white enemies and white shots will **** your **** up. The same is true for your ship when it is in white mode only backwards. Get it? Good. The screen is almost always full of enemy fire of both colors and only through skillful use of your own ships alignment will you be able to navigate through them safely. There is also a pretty cool combo system. Destroy 3 enemies of the same color in rapid succession and that kicks off a combo. Continue destroying groups of three enemies of the same color to keep your combo going. You can chain together pretty large combos in this manner and rack up some serious points. While Ikaruga doesn't have multiple weapon upgrades its innovative use of this black and white system more than makes up for it. The level of strategy required to pass some of these levels is light-years beyond your average shooter.

Ikaruga may also be one of the best looking games on the Dreamcast. The levels themselves are not content to sit motionless below you as in many other top down shooters. The scenery behind your ship will twist and dive through vertigo inducing 3D backgrounds even as the action stays fixed on a 2D plane. In the arcade Ikaruga would have been played on a monitor that was taller than it is wide. The home version gives you the option to play in either a vertical mode in which there are large black bars on the sides of your screen. Or a horizontal one in which the image is rotated clockwise and the game plays like a side scrolling shooter. Both are cool and since I can't read Japanese anyway the fact that it was on its side in the horizontal mode wasn't much of a distraction. Speaking of Japanese you won't have any trouble playing Ikargua if you don't speak it. The main menu options are all in English and translations of the story are easy to find online. If you have a Dreamcast Ikaruga is a must have. If you don't have a Dreamcast go buy one, it's that ****ing good. Keep in mind it is an IMPORT TITLE and you will need something like DC-X to play it on a US Dreamcast. Thanks to VGD as always for the hook up.

If that isn't reason enough to play Ikaruga, I don't know what is, lol.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/1999/19990910l.jpg
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/1999/19990901l.jpg
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010219l.gif
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2000/20001025l.jpg
[/quote]

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, new release games are typically $50. Some can be $40 (such as the TMNT game and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for GCN). GBA games range from $30-35. Wavebirds are $30.

See I don't get the whole currency exchange thing, but it's kinda troublesome when looking up prices on sites like ebgames cause it's all in USD. They say pre-played Dreamcast is $19.99 USD, so what I would do in the past is go to this exchange rate site and get what $19.99 USD is in CDN, then round it out to a solid number and it usually works, but with something like a system I don't know if it would work that way. It might say $19.99 USD is $32 something CDN, but I'll go there and the price will be $45 or $50 and I'll be screwed cause I didn't bring enough cash. I wish I could find a site where they listed CDN prices! :evil:

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 11:36 PM
That's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Dr. Doom
04-15-2004, 11:37 PM
...I like Gulty Gear

Me too, very good 2D fighter.

04-15-2004, 11:39 PM
I think the problem you're having there is since companies aren't protected by laws that prohibit the sale of games at a cheaper price than the competition, Canada can set prices to whatever they want. So chances are you're getting screwed by your own stores. :(

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:39 PM
That's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

lol! Dude I thought you were going to bed!

Yeah that's probably it Ai. Those EB bastards. They think they're so good! What with their nifty name tags and ability to borrow all the games they want.... :( I knew I should have taken the job there when I could have.

04-15-2004, 11:43 PM
I remember when I took a visit to Canada. I went to Montreal (ugh) and I bought Pokémon pinball there. It turned out that after the exchange, the game was only $20. Suckers!

ThirdMarioBro
04-15-2004, 11:45 PM
I was and am now. It just hard to go to bed when stuff that funny is posted. Ok I'm gone now.

*turns on Sailor Moon download and leaves*

laterz. :wink:

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:52 PM
In my one and only foray into the US of A I went to Buffalo...this was some years ago. I bought 2 Beast Wars figures at $6.99 a piece...now in Canada these things were well over $7 and as a kid not knowing anything about the exchange rate I thought I had made a killing! I obviously hadn't.

Back on topic this is what I'm planning on getting when I head out to EBgames. If possible that is. I'm not too sure what their selection of games is. Luckily I have 2 within 10 minutes of each other and they both have different stuff.

Dreamcast (obviously) comes with all the necessary parts.
Games: Sonic Adventure, A fighting game (which I don't know), an RPG, something else, and an NHL game (After breaking my NHL Hitz disc 2 nights ago I'm dying for an NHL fix and I'll settle with 2k2 until I can get something else)

04-15-2004, 11:56 PM
If I may recommend an RPG, I suggest getting Grandia II. It's a really good one.

Fighting game? Powerstone 1 or 2. 2 is better, though.

Most of those NHL games are the same, so get whatever is cheapest. :D

Peanut
04-15-2004, 11:57 PM
I'll go with you on the RPG and Fighting games. Thanks! As far as NHL goes you're pretty much right. I'm sure 2k2 is cheap as hell by now.

Barkworm
04-16-2004, 07:44 AM
You guys have no idea how lucky you are. If a new game is released in Germany it's usually between 50-60 Euro (60-70 Dollars!!!!!). :(
That's why I buy almost all my games from Ebay, where I spent about 45€ at most (still a lot but I need games!).

Hyper Metal Sonic
04-16-2004, 08:44 AM
For an idea of what's the good Dreamcast games, I suggest heading over to IGN DC (http://dreamcast.ign.com), click on reviews, then set the score to 9. This'll bring up all the games that have been rated 9.0 or above. Then do the same for 8, and 7. Pretty much everything over 8 is freaking awesome, over 7 is okay, and 6 is, playable.