PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bill Black & White Fight?

GreatTuraga
04-16-2004, 12:27 PM
I just watched the crazy 88 fight on Kill Bill Vol. 1 and the whole fight is in black in white. Is it suppose to be black and white or color? Did I get a messed up tape? The only part thats color is the very end where the kid gives up and Uma kills one crazy 88 fighter on a ledge. Any info would be much appreciated.

Anarky
04-16-2004, 01:10 PM
parts of that movie are in b/w. but i can't remember which ones

04-16-2004, 04:31 PM
The Japanese special edition version comes with the crazy 88 in full color. It's $200, though, so screw that.

GreatTuraga
04-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah, the blood looked like water in black and white. :D Thats not a bad thing though........... :D

Relay
04-17-2004, 11:37 AM
They had to make that fight scene black and white in order for it to get an R rating and be released in theaters.

HorseTechie
04-17-2004, 10:48 PM
*nods* That's what hubby and I thought too. It'll be a serious blood bath otherwise!

*just saw Kill Bill 1 today* :D

...btw, is there just 2 volumes to this, or is there more?

cqb101
04-18-2004, 10:20 AM
They had to make that fight scene black and white in order for it to get an R rating and be released in theaters.

Actually, thaty's incorrect. KB is pretty much one big homage to 70's japanese cinema. When Japanese martial arts movie would get released in the US, they would have to be put into B+W because they were so bloody. So Tarantino toom the bloodiest part of the film and put it into B+W. When vol.1 was re;eased in Japanese theatres, that scene was in full color.

Relay
04-18-2004, 11:24 AM

Actually, thaty's incorrect. KB is pretty much one big homage to 70's japanese cinema. When Japanese martial arts movie would get released in the US, they would have to be put into B+W because they were so bloody. So Tarantino toom the bloodiest part of the film and put it into B+W. When vol.1 was re;eased in Japanese theatres, that scene was in full color.
But don't the Japanese have different standards than the US. They show more on TV in Japan than would be allowed in the US. Plus, the entire martial arts scene is not in black and white, only the parts with blood spurting everywhere. If it were an homage to old martial arts movies, then all the martial arts parts would have been in black and white.

04-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Yep, all true.

cqb101
04-20-2004, 09:24 AM
The black & white photography is, in the end, an homage to '70's and '80s US television airings of kung fu movies. Black & white, and also black & red, were used to "hide" the shedding of blood from television censors. It was, however, originally, to be shown in color (and is in the Japanese cut of the film) but the MPAA demanded measures be taken to tone the scene down. Tarantino merely used the old trick for its intended purpose, rather than merely as an homage.

So it's B+W for both reasons.