PDA

View Full Version : That wonderful thing we call college.

The Defibrillator
04-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Attending? Planning on attending? What's your major? Where at?

Right now I'm just at this crummy community college (Collin County Community College) and still living at home. (I'm only 17)

I think I'm gonna get my associates degree in Graphic Design here, and then transfer to BYU and major in medicine (I'm thinking an ophthalmologist, or optometrist, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions welcome).

Your turn.

04-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Currently attending Gloucester County Community college. My major is Computer Science. I'm not doing so well, but I'm hoping to change my ways and do much better.

Barkworm
04-28-2004, 12:11 AM
In Germany we first get a general degree (after grade 13), then go to college and specialize. I'm in my fourth semester now, studying English and German for grammar school and college teachers (my English is still crappy but I'm planning to spend some time abroad). After about 8-10 semesters I have to pass my first major exam, then do two practical years at school (for which I'm finally paid for), pass another major exam which counts four times as much as the first one and *ZING* I'm a teacher!
Geez, I'll be 27 by then...

damnhooligan
04-28-2004, 12:12 AM
I'm on an extended break from my BA (double major in Anthropology/History). I have plans to finish up that degree stateside, and hopefully go into post-grad studies at University of Wales in Aberystwyth for International Politics.

I. Am. Such. A. Dork.

raphael_is_cool
04-28-2004, 03:06 AM
I'm at De Montfort University in Leicester in England. In my second year of BA (Hons) Media Studies and things are going okay. I live in an end terrace house that my parents bought (ooh get me) with a friend (another was supposed to move in but won't till summer)

Tigershard
04-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Right now I am at the University of Michigan. Next semester I finish up my Bachelors of Science in Biopsychology/Cognitive Psychology, and in January I am going to Germany for six months to finish up my Bachelors of Arts for German. I plan to go to grad school either at UofM or Carnegie Mellon to study HCI (human computer interaction).

Anarchistguy
04-28-2004, 07:35 AM
I'm attending animation courses in "le Cegep du vieux Montreal" (old Montreal College) Pretty damn cool if I do say so myself.

Taloniss
04-28-2004, 07:37 AM
I'm at the local College studying Auto Mechanics.

EZweasel
04-28-2004, 08:13 AM
i was lucky to get my GED :(

Relay
04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where the department of computer science has been kicking my ass for three years now. Hopefully next May I will get that BS in CS that I've been striving for this entire time. It can't come quick enough.

Machias Banshee
04-28-2004, 10:35 AM
University of Maine, baby...!

damn chancellor's trying to mess with our schools and consolidate. :x

way too much to do, not enough time in the days, and a week to pack up everything... :dead:

Barkworm
04-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Question: What does a semester at an American (Canada or USA) university cost?

Taloniss
04-28-2004, 11:36 AM

I'm not sure by semester, but I paid $3000 Canadian for a two year college course.

Relay
04-28-2004, 11:37 AM
It depends on if it is a public or private university and whether or not you are an in-state student.

EDIT: The numbers given out by UNC-Chapel Hill, where I attend, show that for the 2003-2004 academic year, the total cost for a NC resident is $13,088 and for an out-of-state resident it is $25,436. UNC-Chapel Hill also requires that all incoming freshman have a personal laptop computer, which will add another $1500-$2500. Knowledge is power, and it don't come cheap.

That Matt Guy
04-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Community colleges aren't real colleges.

damnhooligan
04-28-2004, 12:31 PM
It depends on if it is a public or private university and whether or not you are an in-state student.

EDIT: The numbers given out by UNC-Chapel Hill, where I attend, show that for the 2003-2004 academic year, the total cost for a NC resident is $13,088 and for an out-of-state resident it is $25,436. UNC-Chapel Hill also requires that all incoming freshman have a personal laptop computer, which will add another $1500-$2500. Knowledge is power, and it don't come cheap.

That sounds rather standard, price wise for your average state university. My first year at Uni cost approximately US$25,000, including the manditory two semestres living at an on-campus dorm. I was an out-of-state student the first semestre, in-state the second. Scholarships helped eat up a good bit of that bill, but I still got ripped off.

Voltron
04-28-2004, 01:20 PM

Says the man who couldn't get accepted.

Taloniss
04-28-2004, 01:45 PM

:lol:

Tigershard
04-28-2004, 02:28 PM
For UofM, tuition changes depending on what school you are in, and what year you are. For me, in the school of Literature, Sciences, and Arts, tuition is about $8000 a year and then $6000 for dorm, then add on a bunch of miscelaneous fees.

Mars-Chan
04-28-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm attending Volenteer State Community College, where I will be trying to get my Dental Assistant degree.

And YES, I changed my major. I was going to go for a music assistant major but two problems came up:

1) My teacher/instructor wanted me to learn how to play the piano...which, Heaven knows I won't go near unless I'm singing... :lol:
2) Said teacher/instructor was pushing me toward the BUSINESS part of the major. :o :lol: :P

And now, for your viewing pleasure....our school's webpage! :D
http://www.vscc.cc.tn.us

GeneralTraag
04-28-2004, 09:22 PM
I am currently attending St. Petersburg College in Florida. My major is in Graphic Design and I am going for 2 seprate associates degrees in print design and multimedia design. It is taking me a while to complete both of these degrees, but I am in no rush to get finished, since i enjoy taking all the graphic design classes.

Peanut
04-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm a failure. :cry:

04-28-2004, 09:53 PM
We all know that, Mike.

Barkworm
04-28-2004, 10:07 PM

Holy ****! :o
The funny thing is, that the fees at my university were just raised from 120 (140$) to 170 (200$) and we had huge protest campaigns against it here since education isn't supposed to cost anything. God bless Germany...
So could anyone tell me about the fees in the UK?

Voltron
04-29-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm a failure. :cry:

Whoa, why you stealing Ai's line?

Peanut
04-29-2004, 08:51 AM
He convinced me that my life is a sham.

Dr. Doom
04-29-2004, 09:33 AM
In Germany we first get a general degree (after grade 13), then go to college and specialize. I'm in my fourth semester now, studying English and German for grammar school and college teachers (my English is still crappy but I'm planning to spend some time abroad). After about 8-10 semesters I have to pass my first major exam, then do two practical years at school (for which I'm finally paid for), pass another major exam which counts four times as much as the first one and *ZING* I'm a teacher!

Yer english is crappy? You must know the language well enough, if I didnt know you were from Germany, I'd just assume you were a native speaker. And don't get to down on yerself about it either. English is probably the most f***ed up language there is with all it's idiocyncrocies (I'm SURE I spelled that wrong) and exceptions to rules. You speak English (or at least type it) better than some people who live in English-Speaking countries.

Anyways, I'm at Oakton Community College myself. Not doing that well, but I need to go here to keep my job on the Tech Crew here. In fact, I'm supposed to be in class right now. -=Shrugs=-

Naruto
04-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Yeah the tdrome is like a magnet for doom so, him and his armor are always attached

R-iZZy
04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Let's see, I'm a 17 year old at a community college (Sante Fe Community College), and I live with my mom, but we're looking for places for me to get a place of my own.

I'm going to have my AA Degree when I'm 18, which is cool! And I'm attending SFCC for two years to transfer to the University of Florida, or maybe Florida State University. I'm majoring in Electric Engineering.

And best thing is, some hours ago, I came home from my last final exam. Now my term is over!!! YEYS!

Mars-Chan
04-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Yay on the exams being over! :D :D :D

Barkworm
04-29-2004, 12:09 PM

Yer english is crappy? You must know the language well enough, if I didnt know you were from Germany, I'd just assume you were a native speaker. And don't get to down on yerself about it either. English is probably the most f***ed up language there is with all it's idiocyncrocies (I'm SURE I spelled that wrong) and exceptions to rules. You speak English (or at least type it) better than some people who live in English-Speaking countries.
Thank you! (You wouldn't say these things if you knew that I never visit the forums without a dictionary :lol: )
Anyway, what I meant was that my English is still not as good as an English teacher's should be. That's why I want to spend some time abroad, especially to learn to speak better. I guess I'll go to the UK since American colleges seem to be a bit too expensive for me. :dead:

revolutiontransmission
04-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Junior
West Virginia University
B.A. Geography (Geographic Information Science)
Finals next week

Jesus, Mary, and Joesph get me out of here

R-iZZy
04-29-2004, 04:35 PM
You can say that again!!! Well, not literally, but... *scratches head* You know what I mean. Now shut up and dance with me!

Turkituck
04-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Currently in the middle of my Sophmore year at Holyoke Community College.
Visual Arts Major, American Sign Language Minor
Currently working on 7 drawings/watercolor paintings for Figure Drawing Final, a chair made out of packing materials for Sculpture class, Just withdrew from a ******** ASL 1 class (took 3 years in HS, tried this for a refresher, teacher was uber bitch), and 3 papers dur for english 102.

Finals suuuuuuuucccccckkkkk.... but I get outta school in less than 3 weeks <^_^>

Anarchistguy
04-29-2004, 07:13 PM

Anyways, I'm at Oakton Community College myself. Not doing that well, but I need to go here to keep my job on the Tech Crew here. In fact, I'm supposed to be in class right now. -=Shrugs=-

ENGLISH is f***ed up??!!! If you think that, don't EVER take French classes.

Mars-Chan
04-29-2004, 08:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mars:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can say that again!!! Well, not literally, but... *scratches head* You know what I mean. Now shut up and dance with me!

ALL RIGHT!! *plays upbeat song and starts to dance* Even if you're not done with exams, come on in! The music's fine! :lol:

Dr. Doom
04-29-2004, 09:21 PM

ENGLISH is f***ed up??!!! If you think that, don't EVER take French classes.

I have dude. It makes much more sense than english.

Barkworm
04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
I learned French for six ****ing years of my life, my marks were always god/very good but I always hated the language. Now I have forgotten about 90% of the stuff I learned. What a waste of time...

That Matt Guy
04-30-2004, 01:41 AM

Didn't even try to get accepted. Get it right.

Dr. Doom
04-30-2004, 07:56 AM
So you don't hafta say nasty things about those of us who did.

That Matt Guy
04-30-2004, 10:35 AM
How the **** is what I said nasty? Get the stick out of your metal ass.

04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
How the f*** is what I said nasty? Get the stick out of your metal ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Doom
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Ok, but can you gimme a hand?

That Matt Guy
04-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, we'll get on it right away.

Dr. Doom
04-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Yipee! It's starting to hurt.

R-iZZy
04-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Okay, I can understand running with sarcasm as a form of comedy. But does the scenario really have to be getting a stick out of someone's ass?

Voltron
05-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Okay, I can understand running with sarcasm as a form of comedy. But does the scenario really have to be getting a stick out of someone's ass?

Matt, hurry up with Doom. Looks like I'll be needing a hand with this one.

Jo Dawn
05-01-2004, 10:50 AM
*blinks at the thread* Wow, we got from college to this... hehe. Interesting... :wink:

Dr. Doom
05-01-2004, 04:29 PM

XD!!!

R-iZZy
05-01-2004, 07:36 PM

Don't even think of getting near my ass, it is a weapon......... and I know how to use it!

*holds out plate of pancakes* B*tches!

Peanut
05-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Man you scare the sh*t out of me.

Skeletoncrew
05-01-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm in the BFA program at Oregon College of Art and Craft, about to complete my first year. I'm majoring in metals. I have two metals projects to complete before May 6th, and an Art History final on the 5th. :dead:

Here are a couple photos of my last metals project:
http://www.ossabelle.com/files/relic2.jpg
http://www.ossabelle.com/files/relic4.jpg
Its actually two pieces, the silver "bone" detaches and can be worn as a brooch. Materials are human bone, fine silver, sterling silver, amethyst, garnet, and tourmaline. :D

R-iZZy
05-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Man you scare the sh*t out of me.Yeah, well... I have that effect on people. :ohwell:

Archon_Turtle
05-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Ok so I guess Im a little late on this.. But um, I have an associates from ITT Technical Institute in Web Development. Went right into game testing after that...figures heh.

Archon

Billy the Kid
05-02-2004, 03:41 AM
Finished with school for now - although I do have to take those damn continuing legal education courses as part of my bar membership!!! :x

I am thinking of getting my LLM sometime down the road - maybe in five or ten years. But still undecided about what I would like to specialize in.

To those in college I say enjoy your time there because at some point you will miss it!!!

Barkworm
05-02-2004, 05:40 AM
My problem with college is that there's almost nothing I learn that I could use for the time when I've finally become a teacher. I should have more practical trainings and less boring seminars about poems and how to analyze them.

Hannah
05-02-2004, 06:22 AM
-is not going to college for another 7 years- :D

cqb101
05-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm only a sophomore in high school right now so I still have a couple of years until college. I REALLY wanna go to Emerson for film, but I dunno if my grades are good enough. :(