PDA

View Full Version : Convention season is upon us!

Kid Icarus
04-28-2004, 06:51 PM
It's summer time, and that means a few things...

1) School's out!
2) Convention season!
3) Summer vacations!

Now, 2 and 3 kinda tie together.

I'm going to Gencon this year. Anyone who dosen't know what that is: It's a GIANT gaming convention. TCG's, RPG's, minatures, poker-style card games... even places where people talk about becomming a published author and stuff. Really fun, really expensive.

So, is anyone else going to con's this summer, or any cool trips?

Voltron
04-28-2004, 06:52 PM
I usually go to the Wildwood Comicon every year, but it's sucked as of late. More sports cards than comics.

Kid Icarus
04-28-2004, 06:54 PM
I usually go to the Wildwood Comicon every year, but it's sucked as of late. More sports cards than comics. Yeah... that would suck. Evil sports cards... you can't even play games with them. :lol:

Taloniss
04-28-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna try and hit the comic con that comes to Toronto every August. I didn't make it last year, so hopefully I can make it this year.

ThirdMarioBro
04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
I hit Trek Expo every year in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It's the biggest Si-Fi Con in the midwest. Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Andromeda, Yu-Gi-Oh tournament, and more. It's huge and awesome.
Other than that, I go to the August Tulsa Classic Gaming Expo, kinda small and homey. Mario Kart tournaments, classic gaming to the max, Street Fighter tournaments, and more. I'm gonna try to get a booth this year and hold a Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon Grand Master Tournament. I gotta get some new butts to kick. :evilgrin:

Both are very awesome conventions.

Kid Icarus
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Yu-Gi-Oh tournamentI've seen the guy who was in the R2-D2 costume, Gimli's actor, Samwise's actor, AND the staff that's been running the Yu-Gi-Oh mall tour (who run a nice pokemon site, www.pokemonzeo.com </plug>).

Plus they had the guy who played Boba Fett there. But you had to pay like 25 bucks just to see him, and that wasn't happening. And Nintendo had a booth there, mostly for the Pokemon TCG. I'm gonna bother Jimmer this year to see if he wants any help demoing the game or with the booth.

GK Punk
04-28-2004, 07:59 PM
I'll probably be going to anime expo again this year. There's a chance that we can't aford to go, but we'll probably find away to do it, since we can't go next year since the person I always go with decided to go and get herself married next year.

Ninjatron
04-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Upon us? Hell, it's already started for me! I've already been to two conventions this year, Transformers Con and Toronto Anime Con. And there's two more on tap, Anime North and Canadian National Expo. And that might not even be the end of it. Last year I went all the way to Montreal for a con. You can read most all of my convention reports on my website.

Sayonara.

Kid Icarus
04-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Upon us? Hell, it's already started for me! I've already been to two conventions this year, Transformers Con and Toronto Anime Con. And there's two more on tap, Anime North and Canadian National Expo. And that might not even be the end of it. Last year I went all the way to Montreal for a con. You can read most all of my convention reports on my website.

Sayonara. One con a year's enough for me... I can't even fathom going to 4+... o_o

Demonfox38
04-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Lol, don't know about any conventions around here. However, I am anticipating E3 coming next month.

MUST HAVE MORE STAR FOX SCREENSHOTS!!!!

. . .haven't seen anything new in over a year. Damn Namco.

Other than that, I don't know what I'll be doing this summer.

GK Punk
04-28-2004, 08:20 PM

Sayonara.

I've got a lot of friends that do that. They hit every con possible. (But they are the hardcore different-costume-for-everyday-type of con goer)

04-28-2004, 08:25 PM
There's no cons around here, with the exception of the one Voltron mentioned and Otakon up in Baltimore.

Voltron
04-28-2004, 08:27 PM
There's no cons around here, with the exception of the one Voltron mentioned and Otakon up in Baltimore.

Otakon would technically be down, Ai. Maryland is below us on the map.

04-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Maybe I do need that geography lesson...I'm an idiot.

Kid Icarus
04-28-2004, 08:33 PM

Sayonara.

I've got a lot of friends that do that. They hit every con possible. (But they are the hardcore different-costume-for-everyday-type of con goer) I was thinking of cosplaying as Gambit this year... But that means spending money I don't have. Stupid car insurance.

Ninjatron
04-28-2004, 11:47 PM
I don't cosplay. I mean, I've never cosplayed. I won't rule it out. I just look freaky enough as it is already.

I just go to a lot of conventions because they're there to go to. What can I say? Some people like being with nature and that junk, and so they go fishing a couple times a year. Me, I go to conventions. It's just what I do.

Sayonara.

ThirdMarioBro
04-29-2004, 12:46 AM
I swear, one of these days I'm gonna pull out my dad's old tux, buy a Top Hat, make a Mask, and go to an Anime con and ask out girls in Sailormoon costumes.

Peanut
04-29-2004, 01:02 AM
I swear, one of these days I'm gonna pull out my dad's old tux, buy a Top Hat, make a Mask, and go to an Anime con and ask out girls in Sailormoon costumes.

Just as I was beginning to regain a little faith in mankind.

That Matt Guy
04-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Maybe I do need that geography lesson...I'm an idiot.

Ah, finally seeing things my way.

kyabetsu
04-29-2004, 07:10 AM
NO NO Ai!

there are others!
there's a comic con coming up at the end of May (21-23) in PHILADELPHIA!!

the Wizard World Tour

tickets available at www.wizarduniverse.com

um... Special Guests: Mike Turner, Joe Quesada, Adam and Andy Kubert

appearances by: Alfred Molina (Spidey2's Doc Ock) Eliza Dushku (from Buffy and Tru Calling)

Other comic creators attending: Josh Blaylock, Joseph M. Linser, Mark Brooks, Angel Medina, Talent Caldwell, Michael A. Oeming, John Cassaday, Jimmy Palmiotti, Darwyn Cooke, Howard Porter, Mike Deodato, Darik Robertson, Ron Frenz, Alex Saviuk, Greg Horn, Damion Scott, J.G. Jones, Tim Seeley, Sean McKeever, Skottie Young... and of course others to be announced later.

but yeah. it IS supposed to be a TOURING con...
so it'll be in CHICAGO for August 13-15 (2004)
in DALLAS for November 5-7 (2004)
and LOS ANGELES for March 18-20 (of 2005)

so yeah
THAT one...
and of course OTAKON!!!!

:lol: i'll see you guys at THAT one. it's practically in my backyard!

Taloniss
04-29-2004, 08:10 AM
There's another con in June at Exhibition Place in Toronto, I'll probably go to that one too. At least it's two months before the Canadian National Expo one, so I have time to recooperate some money :)

Voltron
04-29-2004, 08:52 AM
When I went to Toronto it was an eerie place. Everything was so clean...

Peanut
04-29-2004, 09:48 AM
When I went to Toronto it was an eerie place. Everything was so clean...

The hell.....

BTW Taloniss I'll probably be going to that one too, if my second party doesn't flake out like last time. :evil:

Dr. Doom
04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to Anime Central here (Chicago) in like 2 weeks. I'm very excited about the apparent Smash Bros. tournaments they have there.

Ronin_of_Kirai
04-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Conventions are cool but I only go to the ones with Peter Laird and the rest of Mirage crew.

Ninjatron
04-29-2004, 12:40 PM
There's another con in June at Exhibition Place in Toronto, I'll probably go to that one too. At least it's two months before the Canadian National Expo one, so I have time to recooperate some money :)
Does this convention have a website? I might check it out.

Sayonara.

Kali
04-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I'll be hitting a Con this year. ****, reminds me that I gotta reschedule that doctor's appointment...

Taloniss
04-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Does this convention have a website? I might check it out.

Sayonara.

http://www.torontocomicon.com/

cqb101
04-29-2004, 04:55 PM
None for me.....There's no cons in the boston area. I was gonna go to San D but made plans too late and now I can't get an affordable hotel. :(

jeff the cheff
04-29-2004, 07:42 PM
You have to pay money to go to a convention? I would love to go meet up with a bunch of nerds if there was one but I wouldn't like to pay.

ThirdMarioBro
04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
There's almost no such thing as a no pay con......well, the Oklahome Classic Gaming Expo (OKGE) was free, but they lost money so it's pay this year.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Anime Central here (Chicago) in like 2 weeks. I'm very excited about the apparent Smash Bros. tournaments they have there.

Hmm, A Smash Bros. Tournament sounds like a good place to do some ass kicking.

Dr. Doom
04-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I need to get some practice in tho. The main problem for me is that these tourneys work on 2:00 Time matches, I think. If that is indeed the case, I'm gonna need some serious conditioning, because I'm used to stock matches and therefore a totally different strategy (survival vs. getting as many kills as you can as fast as you can).