PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Disciplining the Turtles....

Sadako*sCranes
04-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Okay, I've been thinking about this a lot today! Splinter was so laid back on the discipline in the 1st movie but he's all over discipling the Turtles in the 2nd movie! I mean come on! There were several instances in the 1st movie Splinter could have dropped the "10 flips now!" line. Heck, all the instances take place within the first night shown in the movie! Splinter just slacks off then takes discipline by the reins the second time around! :trolleye:

#1 Raphael and Donatello punching each other. The second movie comes around and Raphael and Leonardo are ordered to do flips for doing the same thing to each other! In the 1st movie, Splinter just goes "hoy" (Jap=stop)! :tsweatdr:

#2 Mike ordering pizza on the phone therefore ignoring Splinter's words of wisdom. Splinter didn't have to waste effort throwing a book clear across the room at Mike to teach him to show more respect just a simple three word sentence could go a long way in obedince! :twink:

#3 One of the Turtles, most likely Mike, rudely interrupts Splinter's concentration as he's settling down to meditate and all the Turtles (except Raph of course yet Leo's willing to when he should be setting a good example as the leader and all) are dancing as a way of "meditating"! :tsurpris:

#4 Mike throwing the pizza up in the air and Leo slicing it with his katana sending slices every whichaway and one plops on Splinter's head. Does Splinter like the other flown slices of pizza littering the den? All he's got to say is "Hmph, kids" not "You're grown up enough so I shouldn't have to clean up after all of you. 10 flips now then keep the slices you find that aren't entirely ruined for breakfast tomorrow and discard the rest!" :twink:

Taloniss
04-29-2004, 06:10 PM
I think it was a case of the second movie being aimed at kids (moreso then the first one, at least) and Splinter having to discipline the Turtles so kids wouldn't think they could get away with stuff like that in real life.

I agree though, he was way to lax in the first movie for a father figure, and shortly after (first and second movie had practicly no time between them story wise, I think) he's SuperDad.

I like how he's portrayed in the new toon, where he lets them get away with some stuff, but nothing extreme without some punishment.

Sadako*sCranes
04-29-2004, 06:57 PM
I like how he's portrayed in the new toon, where he lets them get away with some stuff, but nothing extreme without some punishment.
Yeah, like in The Darkness on the Edge of Town the Turtles are skating, boarding, scooting, and biking around their home and Splinter strolls in with his tea and snack not protesting at all about what their doing even though he has to dodge occasionally and put up with Mike swiping some of his snack! :tlol:

But in one episode (can't remember the title) where Donatello created the Battle Shell Mike got hold of the remote control and made it wheel crazily around their home destroying stuff. That's when Splinter put his paw down and said the BattleShell needs to be stored somewhere else! :twink:

Drtooth
04-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Splinter occasionally whacked mikey on the head with his staff in the comics....

Orochi Chimera
04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
I agree that he was like a strict parent in the second movie.

Jester
04-29-2004, 08:21 PM
well...in the second movie the tmnt and splinter were guests.....and since they were not at home....so bad behavior is punished more severly...i'd recon....although it does bug ther neighbors...

Machias Banshee
04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
*is not going to say too much, for sake of the turtles dignity* :evilgrin:

I must say, my favorite disciplinary actions in the cartoon have been the backhand and the lil Knock-Leo-Down-a-Peg Bit.

Though i STILL Say that Splinter should have given Leo hell and more for disobeying him in CAW!!! :x

And for other ways...well, Fanfics usually can show something good. Especially the childhood turtle ones... :goofygri:

ThirdMarioBro
04-29-2004, 09:02 PM
I like the more fatherly Splinter of the new series. He just seems more real in the way he deals with them.

Machias Banshee
04-29-2004, 09:02 PM
I like the more fatherly Splinter of the new series. He just seems more real in the way he deals with them.

Exactly! He doesnt just let them do whatever.... *loves father figures*

the movies, while some good parts, they could have done better. As far as i know, Japanese are Very strict with their children, even punishing them at 'adult' age...

Drtooth
05-03-2004, 07:12 PM
I think in the first movie, Splinter just cut them a little slack because... well... they are just kids.

Sort of like in The SHredder strike back, whn e Mikey has his "announcement" of burping and Splinter just frustraitedly says, "This is what I have to put up with, every day!"

Red Lioness
05-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I just saw 'The Shredder Strikes' part 2 today and I about died when Splinter backhanded them all! It's not often you get to see four heroes get bitch-slapped! :lol:

Whitewolf89
05-04-2004, 06:06 PM
I just saw 'The Shredder Strikes' part 2 today and I about died when Splinter backhanded them all! It's not often you get to see four heroes get bitch-slapped! :lol:

Really?! He backhanded them in Part 2?! *groan* THIS is what I get for NOT setting the sandblasted VCR right and missing the ep totally...AGAIN!!! :tgrumble: I ceratinly hope they run it again so I can get it on tape. Better yet, I gotta get the VHS tapes AND the DVDs so I'lll have them to watch any time I want.

And no, it is not. Can't wait to see this one so I can see the boys' faces when he did that!

Now, that said *ahem* I will now shut up and get BACK on-topic.

Machias Banshee
05-04-2004, 06:39 PM

I loved that bit. I wish they'd show the guys getting in trouble more often. I mean, come on, theyre Teenagers!!! They GOTTA cause mischief...its in the genetic makeup! Warui Kames... :evilgrin:

Hyper Metal Sonic
05-04-2004, 06:45 PM

I should make an animated gif out of that scene... hmm.

Hyper Metal Sonic
05-04-2004, 06:46 PM
I think in the first movie, Splinter just cut them a little slack because... well... they are just kids.

Sort of like in The SHredder strike back, whn e Mikey has his "announcement" of burping and Splinter just frustraitedly says, "This is what I have to put up with, every day!"

What I love even better is Don's line "I can't believe I just clapped for that." (Or something to that effect.)

kitsunepixie
05-04-2004, 07:31 PM

I loved that bit. I wish they'd show the guys getting in trouble more often. I mean, come on, theyre Teenagers!!! They GOTTA cause mischief...its in the genetic makeup! Warui Kames... :evilgrin:

Oh, I know...I love it when they act like kids and get caught. Ninjas with curfews, heh heh. :D

Machias Banshee
05-04-2004, 07:52 PM
heehee, I love drawing stuff like that... They get all cute and contrite looking...

*mushifies the thread*

terran631
05-04-2004, 07:55 PM
My two cents:

There is Splinter the sensei and his methods of discipline revolve more around training. Such as...flips, extra katas <should anyone read fanfiction> pushups that kind of thing.

Then there is Splinter the father. His methods of discipline would be more toward the parental side. Which is something you dont see much of in the toon or comics, but you do see alot of in fanfiction. Like grounding and such as.
Splinter is usually portrayed alot as sensei first, and father second. Which is why many people dont like writing for him. He is a background character that meditates until some sort of fortune cookie wisdom is needed.
I like how the new toon has Splinter as a father and a sensei and I about died laughing when he backhanded the four of them in one swing.
*is glad her sensei is not her father*