PDA

View Full Version : "The Batman" bashers gonna love this...

Barkworm
05-01-2004, 12:33 AM
UnderGroundOnline interviewed Sam Register, Senior Vice President of Original Animation for Cartoon Network, about WBs new show "The Batman.".
I thought this quote of him was quite mentionable:
The difference is that I'm making superhero shows for kids. I want younger kids to love Batman. If the 25-year-old guys who live in their mother's basement also happen to like this Batman, that's great. But it's not for them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What an asshole!
Read the full interview here (http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/features/thebatman/interview.asp)!

Jo Dawn
05-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Wow, um... Not a good move on his part...

Peanut
05-01-2004, 12:42 AM
:lol: Classic.

guitardave
05-01-2004, 12:51 AM
good thing I'm only 18

Dane E5R
05-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Wow, um... Not a good move on his part...

Agreed.

R-iZZy
05-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Ah, I'm sure he didn't mean what he said. He probably meant 25 year-olds living in their father's basement. That guy is such a kidder!

Kid Icarus
05-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Well, the man has a point.

He's not aiming to please the older market, he's aiming to please the younger market. So, really, if the kiddo's are happy with it (and buying the merch) why should he care what the fanboys think of it?

Barkworm
05-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Yeah, but there are other ways to say that. Anyway, I'm glad he chose these words so I had a good laugh.

The Stryker
05-01-2004, 01:28 AM
"The Batman" Is Gonna Suck Ewok balls

Im just gonna buy the Batman:TAS DVDs coming out in May

and I don't live in a Basement I have my own room in my mother's house thank you very much.....Good day sir!

Taloniss
05-01-2004, 07:35 AM
and I don't live in a Basement I have my own room in my mother's house thank you very much.....Good day sir!

Yeah, same here! :lol:

He's not aiming to please the older market, he's aiming to please the younger market. So, really, if the kiddo's are happy with it (and buying the merch) why should he care what the fanboys think of it?

Exactly. He just should have been a little more diplomatic in how he said it :)

ThirdMarioBro
05-01-2004, 08:22 AM
He needs to realize that it's the old fans that have the money to buy the action figures that fuel the franchise. The kids have to beg their parents, or wait for Christmas. He just cut his own throut by cutting off the real fans.

cqb101
05-01-2004, 08:32 AM
He has a point. And hopefully it'll get all of the bashers to shut the **** up already. I like that man.

Taloniss
05-01-2004, 08:35 AM
He needs to realize that it's the old fans that have the money to buy the action figures that fuel the franchise. The kids have to beg their parents, or wait for Christmas. He just cut his own throut by cutting off the real fans.

I think you underestimate the power beggings kids have over their parents :) I've seen kids get alot of stuff that way when I'm in the toy stores around here.

cqb101
05-01-2004, 08:39 AM

I think you underestimate the power beggings kids have over their parents :) I've seen kids get alot of stuff that way when I'm in the toy stores around here.

Yep, same here.....I've even gotten stuff from my parents by begging. :lol:

Barkworm
05-01-2004, 08:39 AM
When I was a kid I got toys only when it was my birthday or X-mas, begging was useless. :|

The Stryker
05-01-2004, 08:47 AM
I will Bash "The Batman" Until the day I die for what they did to the Joker

Bastards..............DAMN YOUSE!!! DAMN YOUSE ALL TO HELL!!!

Bry
05-01-2004, 09:09 AM
The difference is that I'm making superhero shows for kids. I want younger kids to love Batman. If the 25-year-old guys who live in their mother's basement also happen to like this Batman, that's great. But it's not for them.
He's being stupid.

No, not because he's belittling part of the character's fanbase. Because he's specifically making a show with children solely in mind. He even goes so far to say that it's "not for" adults. I mean, that in itself is fine, but these days animated series have huge adult followings, especially ones based on comic books. Hell, consider all the adult-oriented animated shows coming out of the woodwork these days. It's not just a kids' game anymore.

And the merchandise? Adults buy action figures and DVDs and video games, often in much larger quantities than the kiddies - after all, adults have a little thing called "disposable income" they're not afraid to blow on an armload of toys. I can attest to that much. ;)

A smarter idea would be to create a show that appeals to both demographics - children and adults, and embrace them both. It worked rather well for the previous Batman 'toon, right?

Dane E5R
05-01-2004, 09:25 AM

Yep, same here.....I've even gotten stuff from my parents by begging. :lol:

Yea, but let's be serious.. No kid's gonna beg for those The Batman toys. Not only are the regular figures ugly, but they have the most hideous variants I've ever seen. I hated all the Batman variants when I was a kid, and I still hate them today. Kids know that Batman would NEVER wear that stuff and pisses me off!

I mean..them off.

ThirdMarioBro
05-01-2004, 10:21 AM
A smarter idea would be to create a show that appeals to both demographics - children and adults, and embrace them both. It worked rather well for the previous Batman 'toon, right?

Much like TMNT 2003 appeals to us, as well as the n00bs.

Voltron
05-01-2004, 10:27 AM
I want money. Kid's parents have money. The show's toys will cost money. That's why I'm making the show for kids; along the lines of such classics as Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade. Have you ever been to the houses of the guys who produce those shows? They wipe their asses with money. Thats what I want my life to be like. Anyway, I want really just want to have kids give me their money. ...I mean love Batman...

It' amazing what you can learn when you can translate Greedy Bastardnese into English.

Jo Dawn
05-01-2004, 10:50 AM
But still... even if it's not for adults... he didn't need to say it like that! That's only being mean and pushing away people that might actually like it and buy their products and all that...

It was an unneccesary comment, to be sure.

Voltron
05-01-2004, 10:54 AM
But still... even if it's not for adults... he didn't need to say it like that! That's only being mean and pushing away people that might actually like it and buy their products and all that...

Shh...It's ok JD...he'll get his in Hell.

PizzaPower
05-01-2004, 11:13 AM

Beginning never got me anywhere, I am 16 and it stil does not. I have to buy my stuff ad I NEVER have the money to.

cqb101
05-01-2004, 12:49 PM

Maybe he'll get a pineapple up his ass.

Barkworm
05-01-2004, 01:41 PM
I want money. Kid's parents have money. The show's toys will cost money. That's why I'm making the show for kids; along the lines of such classics as Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade. Have you ever been to the houses of the guys who produce those shows? They wipe their asses with money. Thats what I want my life to be like. Anyway, I want really just want to have kids give me their money. ...I mean love Batman...

It' amazing what you can learn when you can translate Greedy Bastardnese into English.
You really deserve your award, dude. :lol:

Anarchistguy
05-01-2004, 04:10 PM

Maybe he'll get a pineapple up his ass.

It would be even nicer if he got a pineapple up his ass AND burn in Hell for eternity. I don't really care about The Batman, but I bet it would be fun to see that guy suffer.

ZariusTwo
05-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Kids W.B only have one good cartoon on their table: Jackie Chan Adventures, Pokemon Advance was great for a while, but now it's pretty stupid.

This is not the direction Batman should go...the Joker looks like Goku for god's sake.

Anarchistguy
05-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Kids W.B only have one good cartoon on their table: Jackie Chan Adventures, Pokemon Advance was great for a while, but now it's pretty stupid.

This is not the direction Batman should go...the Joker looks like Goku for god's sake.

Meh...I only like the first season. The animation and fight scenes looked WAY better, there was NO J-TEAM CRAP and I liked Tohru as a BAD guy. He didn't have much of a personality, but, still...

Dr. Doom
05-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Dear lord, what an asshole. I mean, this show was gonna suck before, but that's just the icing on the cake. This man clearly deserves a punishment worse than death.

-=Doom stands over Mr. Register's smouldering corpse=- Uhm....whoops....You'll have to settle for just plain old death....

....:sweatdro:

Anarchistguy
05-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Dear lord, what an asshole. I mean, this show was gonna suck before, but that's just the icing on the cake. This man clearly deserves a punishment worse than death.

-=Doom stands over Mr. Register's smouldering corpse=- Uhm....whoops....You'll have to settle for just plain old death....

....:sweatdro:

You hate him even more than Richards?

Dr. Doom
05-01-2004, 06:32 PM
DOOM DESPISES NO ONE MORE THAN THAT INFERNAL RICHARDS..........

BUT MR. REGISTER HERE IS CLOSE!!!

ZariusTwo
05-01-2004, 09:17 PM

Meh...I only like the first season. The animation and fight scenes looked WAY better, there was NO J-TEAM CRAP and I liked Tohru as a BAD guy. He didn't have much of a personality, but, still...

Yeah, Tohru was great.

What the hell happened to Jade? one minute she had a good romantic angle with one of the Demons in Season 2 (Which COULD have went somewhere if they continuned) and was far less annoying...now I can't stand her, I want to blow her away with a shotgun.

They also got rid of Shendu and Valmount...WHATSPWITHDAT?

I still love the series, but the first two seasons are the greatest of the show