PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts movies

Barkworm
05-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm trying to get into martial arts movies since I recently rewatched some Jackie Chan flicks (Drunken Master II is pure genius). Any recommendations? I heard "36th chamber of the Shaolin" and "Once upon a time in China" are supposed to be excellent.

Anarchistguy
05-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Legend of Red Dragon with Jet Li is good. Bruce Lee movies are also recommended but a MUST see is Iron Monkey..

Ryona
05-10-2004, 04:54 PM
You have got to see Shaolin Soccer! It's so much fun to watch!

raphael_is_cool
05-10-2004, 04:55 PM
I guess you count 'Police/Cop Story 2' as a martial arts film. That was cool, one of the dubbed voices for a guy also sounded like Fozzie Bear :D

Barkworm
05-11-2004, 01:12 PM
No one else? I hoped to get a quite long list

Ronin_of_Kirai
05-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Anything with Bruce Lee

Mars-Chan
05-11-2004, 09:48 PM
*nods* And how. Those are good movies...but so are the movies that his son Brandon are in.

My three favorites are "Showdown In Little Tokyo", "Rapid Fire", and of course, my personal favorite, "The Crow".

Watch those three...you might like them.

Sad how Brandon died on the set of "The Crow" though.... :cry:

EZweasel
05-11-2004, 10:00 PM
snake in the eagle's shadow. it has jackie chan in it and i love it.

Dane E5R
05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
The Crow, while being my all time favorite movie, is not a good recommendation. It's simply not a martial arts film. Sure, he fights, but there's no real martial arts and he only fights hand to hand in like 3 scenes. It is a great ACTION movie, however.
People are saying to get Bruce Lee movies, that's the best route to go. His best movie in my opinion is "The Chinese Connection." Also look for "Fists of Fury," "Return of the Dragon," and "Enter the Dragon." However avoid "Game of Death" at all costs. It's hardly fair to call this a Bruce Lee movie; Bruce Lee himself doesn't actually appear until the final fight scenes, which are all butchered to hell anyway. Instead, they have 300 stunt doubles wearing dark sunglasses pretending to be Bruce Lee. Hell, in some scenes, his face is actually PASTED ON to another actor's head. It's horrible stuff. But the rest of the movies will not disappoint, I promise. :wink:

damnhooligan
05-11-2004, 10:19 PM
I've watched so many mediocre Martial Arts movies that I can't deviate one title from another. But admist my martial arts movie travels, I came across "The Accidental Spy", which was surprisingly refreshing. Worth a peek if you want a little change of pace.

Barkworm
05-11-2004, 11:42 PM
The Crow, while being my all time favorite movie, is not a good recommendation. It's simply not a martial arts film. Sure, he fights, but there's no real martial arts and he only fights hand to hand in like 3 scenes. It is a great ACTION movie, however.
People are saying to get Bruce Lee movies, that's the best route to go. His best movie in my opinion is "The Chinese Connection." Also look for "Fists of Fury," "Return of the Dragon," and "Enter the Dragon." However avoid "Game of Death" at all costs. It's hardly fair to call this a Bruce Lee movie; Bruce Lee himself doesn't actually appear until the final fight scenes, which are all butchered to hell anyway. Instead, they have 300 stunt doubles wearing dark sunglasses pretending to be Bruce Lee. Hell, in some scenes, his face is actually PASTED ON to another actor's head. It's horrible stuff. But the rest of the movies will not disappoint, I promise. :wink:
Yeah, I heard about this. Money greedy bastards...
Thanks for the list, I'm trying to get "Return of the Dragon", I heard the final fight is supposed to be the best fight ever.