PDA

View Full Version : TMNT: The Movie U.K. Re-Release Review

Sanjuro
05-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Little late but here goes nothing. I pre-ordered the DVD twice. First time on Amazon.com with next day shipping. I didn't know the conversion of pounds to U.S. currency so naturally I paid for it and then checked after I did. It was give or take about $50. I'm a huge TMNT fan, but this is a little steep for a DVD that I don't know has extra footage or anything really. So when the offical site http://www.ninjaturtles2004.com/ came back online with information about the DVD they had a link on the site. I figure "Hey, its on the main site its gotta be safe". There I paid around $30 bucks, not too bad with shipping.

Fast Forward to April 6th. I my credit card is charged and I wait. Weeks go buy and I dont see any DVD in my mailbox. So I go to customer service to ask about my shipment. The address form was a little werid for the U.K. people and me filling my U.S. address I thought maybe I had done somthing wrong. So I send an email to customer service and guess what!? Their email address doesn't exist anymore. Their phone number is based in the U.K. as well and I had no idea how to call that with my calling card. Now in panic mode I searched the site a little more and found another email address of I suppose one of the advertising agents or somthing. So I sent her a few emails she told me it was on its way. I waited a couple more weeks. Pissed I sent another email asking for a refund so I could go back to Amazon.com and buy it. She tells me she would do me a favor and send me another one. I didnt believe she really would. Then 5 days later....

http://home.ripway.com/2004-5/109623/uktmnt1.JPG

Boo YA! Beautiful sexy case.....It was soo sexy I snapped a few more shots.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-5/109623/uktmnt2.JPG

http://home.ripway.com/2004-5/109623/uktmnt3.JPG

I boot up the cd then. The menus look nice. Has the theme song that is on the Re-Release website I put the link above to. It has an interview with the TMNT in text, an interview that you can locate on that site as well. It has a bunch of TV spots and a couple of trailers. There is scene selections of course. There is alot more than in the original U.S. DVD so you can get to your favorite scenes alot quicker. Also it is only in the glorious Widescreen format as well. Thats pretty much it from the special features side.

Lets get down to it. The information everyone wants to hear. Have they restored and put back some of the much wanted delete scenes.........no.
The movie is exactly the same as it was before. It ends with a cowbunga begins with a tv being stolen.

Alright so your kinda bummed. Not any new features really, nothing added to the film, and it costs more than a $5 version of the U.S. DVD. Why buy this version too!?

Now, I would like to note I watch my DVD's on a Hi-Definition TV in 16x9 Widescreen. The sound system is in 5.1 surround. I'm not stating this to brag, mainly because if the quality looks kinda crappy its more noticeable with my TV. The first movie is filled with grain and appears like they just slapped it together. I also get the full range of sound effects like a movie theater would. Basically what this all means is that if you have a regular TV with a regular DVD player hooked up with the A/V cables it would actually look better because your actually not viewing the entire quality there is on the picture.

The reason to own this DVD is that it looks BEAUTIFUL! The picture has been fully restored and vibrant as ever. The film print is as good as new. There is still some grainy issues in the flashback scenes and in some of the sewer scenes, but I believe they were meant to have a grungy look to them.

The sound is BEAUTIFUL! It sounds like they took all the original tracks of music in it, remastered them, and inserted them all back in the film. The score and music sound vibrant as ever. The voices also appear to have been re-processed as well. Thanks to this I will be ripping some of the audio of everyone's most requested themes from the movie.

As a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fan this is the best way you can view the original movie. It made me feel like I was back in the theater on opening day March 1990 sitting in the very first row. Of course you need a DVD player that can play Region 2 encoded discs. Currently there is no release scheduled for the U.S. so Amazon.com is your ticket to getting a copy. Even if they do bring it to the U.S. I will buy that one as well. Simply put if you love the TMNT and you love the first and best movie and you want to watch it in the best possible quality you NEED this disc. It looks great next to all my other Turtle discs...

http://home.ripway.com/2004-5/109623/uktmnt4.JPG

Final Rating = 5/5 Cowabungas!
Buy this now!

spikealike
05-10-2004, 07:18 PM
I doubt it will see a US release as it is basically our version of what the US had years ago :)

Buslady
05-10-2004, 07:34 PM
the flashbacks were alwasy grainy, it was supposed to look grungy.
i think it stinks there isn't a special edition!!!!!!!! :x

Sanjuro
05-10-2004, 10:03 PM
the flashbacks were alwasy grainy, it was supposed to look grungy.

Yes and no. I understand the style of some of the film was to have that look. But with that and the unrestored film it made the old versions look very ugly.

Misfit
05-11-2004, 09:28 AM
i think it stinks there isn't a special edition!!!!!!!! :xTotally. I can't believe we haven't gotten one yet, and IMHO I don't think we ever will.

It sucks, I'd at least like to be able to see the deleted scene and have an audio commentary of some kind. I doubt it would be that hard for the powers that be to put a special edition together if they really wanted to. I think they're just being jerks about it. Sigh.

Ronin_of_Kirai
05-12-2004, 05:56 PM
TMNT anime how did you get that!?

Indigo
05-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Sounds awesome...I want it...I want it bad. Now, if I only I could find the end to my empty wallet.