PDA

View Full Version : who's funnier? Classic Raph, or the new Mikey?

Coola Yagami
05-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Raph was the witty one of the old show, and now Mikey seems to be full of wisecracks in the new show. Which of the 2 is funnier?

Jo Dawn
05-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Um... that's kinda hard to say... as, uh... They both have their "moments"... but I was never one for "silly"...

But I'd have to go with the new Mikey. Even though he sometimes gets to be a little much, he's alot funnier. Especially since he uses alot of pop culture references...

EDIT - Sometimes I think that the New Toon Raph is just as funny (if not funnier) as Mikey, with some of the comments he makes. And Leo and Don both have their funny moments, too. :)

Then again, it all depends on your definition of "funny", and your own sense of humor.

Dane E5R
05-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Jeez, this is a hell of a question. While Raph may be my boy in ANY incarnation, I gotta say the new Mike's funnier.

Barkworm
05-11-2004, 11:25 PM
I don't think the new Mikey's funny but most of the time darn annoying. Raph gets my vote.

Zachatello00
05-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, the humor was well balanced last go around with Raph being a smart a$$ and Mike being a goofball. It was almost like Chandler and Joey humor, if you're a friends fan. No one would say that Friends would be just as funny without Joey, or vice versa.

That being said, I think that 4kids relies a little too heavily on Michelangelo for humor. I agree with Jo Dawn, that each turtle is funny, Raph too with his attitude, and the banter between the turtles is great. But without sarcastic Raph, sometimes Mike just comes off as the younger sibling who just gets on everyones nerves. Like, for example, in Notes from the Underground when the turtles are fighting these deadly monsters, Mike is going on about Don (I think) calling him sensitive. I just wanted to say, "Mike, shut up and fight!"

Mind you, I think Mike is stinkin' hilarious. I love him and wouldn't change his character in the least. Nor would I change Raph's in the new toon, since he's supposed to be that way. Sometimes though, Mikey's a bit much.

Could that BE any wordier?

Nosferatu
05-12-2004, 02:28 AM
I guess I'll say Mike.

I never really found the original cartoon's Raph very funny. He had his moments, but for the most part, I didn't care for his comments.

So that means that ol' Mikey wins by default. I haven't seen much of the new show after the whole Utrom thing with Shredder, but I prefer Michelangelo's humor in the new show over Raph's in the original anyday.

Jo Dawn
05-12-2004, 12:48 PM
That being said, I think that 4kids relies a little too heavily on Michelangelo for humor.

Ditto.

...and the banter between the turtles is great. But without sarcastic Raph, sometimes Mike just comes off as the younger sibling who just gets on everyones nerves. Like, for example, in Notes from the Underground when the turtles are fighting these deadly monsters, Mike is going on about Don (I think) calling him sensitive. I just wanted to say, "Mike, shut up and fight!"

Again, I agree. :)

Mind you, I think Mike is stinkin' hilarious. I love him and wouldn't change his character in the least. Nor would I change Raph's in the new toon, since he's supposed to be that way. Sometimes though, Mikey's a bit much.

I agree with everything you've said here. I love Mikey, I truly do... He is who he is, and that's great. And he's so funny. But sometimes...

Needless to say, I still wouldn't change Mikey for anything. :)

Could that BE any wordier?

:lol: :wink:

Mondo J. Gecko
05-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm voting old school raph... he was classicly sarcastic.... :D

Jester
05-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Jester votes for raph....i mean just read my siggy...those are classic lines....many of mikeys jokes fall flat...even to his brothers. Don't get me wrong Mikey's a bright spot of humor in the new show...but sometimes he's over the top like here:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and the banter between the turtles is great. But without sarcastic Raph, sometimes Mike just comes off as the younger sibling who just gets on everyones nerves. Like, for example, in Notes from the Underground when the turtles are fighting these deadly monsters, Mike is going on about Don (I think) calling him sensitive. I just wanted to say, "Mike, shut up and fight!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i totally agree....though orther things like the "Oh yeah u should be the one saying farewell, uh, to yourself" from shredder strikes back is pretty funny, but raphie still gets the last word with "Oh yeah mikety that got him!"

Misfit
05-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Which of the 2 is funnier? DAMN, that's like asking me to choose between a Dairy Milk or a Milky Bar. I just can't do it! Argh!

Drtooth
05-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Yeah/... both have moments over the other. Sometimes Rob Paulsen Raph is funnier, sometimes Mike... I dunno... hard choice. As long as that guy from the red sky didn't voice Raphael Raph was the man ... though there were FAAAAR too many cow jokes in that one episode. What was it? The Mutegen Monster... something like that.

But I have to say, I almost hwarfed up a lung when Mike said "At least it wasn't 'Kowabunga!'"

MGMae
05-12-2004, 03:48 PM
As pointed out - there's a comedic element to all of them. But I honestly can't compare old Raph and new Mikey, it seems like apples and oranges to me. :lol:

Old School Raph was based on the principal of "cool but rude" - new Mikey is based on the principal of Pop Culture Junkie.
Old School Raph was sarcastic, snarky, sometimes dry - new Mikey's the type to slip on the banana peel for a chuckle.

(Although I do remember the old episode where Raphael tried to be a stand up comic...sort of. I know I saw it, anyway :D)
So that makes it a matter of taste right, and since I have no discernible taste and like all kinds of comedy, they rank pretty even. :lol:

But Michelangelo wouldn't be as funny in the new cartoon if he didn't play fall guy. Like all good comedy teams, he sets himself up and Raph plays straight man. So! If Mikey's funnier in the new cartoon, he owes it partially to Raph. :)

J Legault
05-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Old Raph isn't anywhere close to the original Raph. I like him the most. Not saying the old Raph is bad, but Rob Paulsen did a good job for old Raph.

The Old Toon Mikey used old jokes in the old show but the New Mikey is what makes the New Series fun to hear or see, his impressions of Arnold, Batman, Shredder, Gary Coleman, Steve Irwin, or something else from Television.

Indigo
05-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I LOVE Mikey, no doubt about it, but old Raph wins my vote.

Sarcastic comedy is more my thing.

Taloniss
05-12-2004, 06:00 PM
I voted Raph. Both are funny, but it takes a sharper wit and more creativity to come up with sarcasm that's funny then it does to spew pop culture references, so Raph wins in my book.

Buslady
05-12-2004, 07:18 PM
The old Raph is ok, I really like the new Raph so much better. He's more in character, he can crack a joke once in awhile but mostly he's intense and serious...I love that.

So my vote goes for new toon Mikey. Movie Mikey's funny too...

TournamentFightersOwns
05-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I liked how Paulsen's Raph was somewhat of a wise-cracker,yet serious,while Mikey was a "surfer-dude" type.

The new show,though...Mike's much more of a dork,and I love his pop-culture references,which the old show didnt do too much of.

New Raph is fun to watch ,and he's my fave on the new show,but since this is Old raph vs. new Mikey,I'm going to go with New Mikey on this one.

d_fife@mail.plymouth.edu
05-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Definatly the new mikey because of him imitating darth vader and other funny stuff. The old toon raph was just sarcastic.

DrSpengler
05-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Raph, without a second thought.

The New Toon Mikey is more annoying that funny. Especially in Turtles in Space. I just wanted to strangle him. That and the fact that he calls everything his "babies". His snackfood, his stomach, his nunchakus...the joke wasn't funny the first time.

Raph, on the other hand, was funny more often than not. his humour was different than New Toon mikey and, dare I say, reasonably intelligent.

MGMae
05-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Movie Mikey's funny too...

Oh yeah! I forgot about Movie Mikey. Can't beat "Ninja kick the damn rabbit." :D
Unless you have porkrinds.

All hail the Turtle Comic Team-Up.

Caster_Troy
05-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Classic Raph. He was funny in that 'not even trying, just being a cynic' kind of way.

And movie Mikey was funny also. Again, in that not trying way. I don't think new mike is all that amusing.

Jarrah White
05-13-2004, 03:30 AM
I'll have to go with new toon Mikey. Old toon Raph's scarcasum was almost as irritating as his voice.

raphael_is_cool
05-13-2004, 04:52 AM
It's a hard choice. Old Raph was funny but could get annoying whereas new Mikey is the same. I'd say old Raph was funnier more though. But out of everyone I like the new toon Raph for some humour

Buslady
05-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Movie Mikey's funny too...

Oh yeah! I forgot about Movie Mikey. Can't beat "Ninja kick the damn rabbit." :D
Unless you have porkrinds.

All hail the Turtle Comic Team-Up.

I didn't mention why I liked Movie Mikey's sense of humor..they didn't make him look stupid. (none of them looked stupid, they were portrayed right) He was intelligent funny, even with his corny cliches and stuff...he didn't spout off Cowabunga constantly like in the cartoon.
'Course in the new toon, I love when Raph whacks him for that...that's what I'd do, he does it for me. "How many time do I hafta tell ya, no more Cowabunga!"

GK Punk
05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Classic Raph and Movie Mikey are the best.

Ryona
05-13-2004, 05:38 PM
I gotta go with old school Raphael. He's just more clever and original with his jokes while Newbie Michaelangelo uses pop culture to make a funny...that and physical humour such as bonking his head on something. Raph is like Jerry Signfeild while Mikey is like Chris Farly. Two different kinds of humour. I love them both, but Raph's witty moments leave a lasting nice flavour while Mikey's antics kinda dissipates after a short while.

"Does the phrase "Go suck a lemon" hold any meaning for ya?" - Raphael :lol:

MGMae
05-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Old toon Raph's scarcasum was almost as irritating as his voice.

OH! OH! Shot in the heart! Rob Paulsen's voice irritating? Blasphemy for sure :lol:
:)

Jarrah White
05-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I didn't like the voices of the other three turtles either, Leo just sounds too old. Mike, one thing I can't stand is a droning Americian accent. As for Donny, nine simple words; Where the hell's Desmond Llewelyn when you need him?

azure turtle
05-14-2004, 12:17 AM
I didn't like the voices of the other three turtles either, Leo just sounds too old. Mike, one thing I can't stand is a droning Americian accent. As for Donny, nine simple words; Where the hell's Desmond Llewelyn when you need him?
Wha?? I hope you don't think all Americans speak like old 'toon Mikey. I think his accent was based on the surfer talk that's all over California's coast.

As for the voices, I'll admit that Raph was odd sounding to me at first. I grew to like it, and I've got no problems with the VAs who worked on the show. *shrug* To each his own.

Back on topic. For me, the choice between old 'toon Raph and new Mikey is a difficult once. Raph's sarcasm always cracked me up in the old 'toon, especially when he and his bros were in the middle of a fight. I think my vote would go to new Mikey, however, because his pop culture refrences and slapstick comedy go well together. All in all, I like them both and it's hard to choose one because of their varying styles of comedy...