PDA

View Full Version : Deeps thoughts on a ninja turtle

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
05-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Anyone ever sat and seriously think about a ninja turtle. Their emotions or ideas. I mean REALLY think about it. I know its kinda a dumb question. Heck, everybody here are huge fans, and some writers of fanfics (thus they'd need to know the characters well enough to write about them). Forgive me if this is just nonsense, but I just wanted to express my thoughts on my favorite turtle, Raphael (mainly the one from the first 3 movies).

Raphael always interested me, more so than the others. He always seemed like an outsider among outsiders. It is bad enough that he lives in a world with just his three brothers and father similar (mutants) to him. But even his family can't really understand him. It's gotta be lonely.
And sure he's mad, why shouldn't he be. I always thought that Raph knew the score better than the others, or (more likely) didn't want to succumb, ignore, or "deal" with it like the others. He knows that there are only those five for mutants, and after a time they'll be gone and then what. Nothing. No one (family, kids) to carry on the torch. Nothing. And that miffs him off (as would anybody).
He's got other reasons. If the characters in the X-Men movies thought they had it bad, Raph and his family have it worse. At least most of the X-men (Storm, Jean Grey, even Wolverine) could go to the grocery store or something and not really have to worry. Not so with Raph and his family. Sure they have trenchcoats, but there's always the possibility of being found out. And I believe Raph is the type who wants to see the world, wants to be able to be normal. I mean, he and his family have to live in a sewer for crying out loud and it isn't fair.
Plus, as Raph (now a teen) gets older, I think he's the first to think about family. Girlfriends, wives, kids, or I should say the absence of them. Maybe he knows this now in his teens (although he'd never admit it) and that's pretty damn crappy and Raph knows it.
I think Raph is the type who doesn't want to deal, because in his mind it's the same as giving up and succumbing to all this facts like: living in a sewer for the rest of his life, never having a family, being limited to really live his life. And he wishes his family was more into his thinking. In my opinion, that's part of the reason him and Mikey are pretty close. I think Mikey feels the same way (he just expresses it differently) and Raph sees that. Plus the fact that I think Raph secretly wants to be like Mike, who sees life in a way Raph wishes to see it (plus the obvious fact that Mikey isn't as serious as Don or Leo; heck I mean Raph needs to goof off (or live life a little more) too and who better to do that with than Mikey.
I always picture Raph as the type of guy (or turtle if you prefer) who will never give up on what he believes in and who really loves his family and will do anything for them no matter what: and because of that determination and zeal he would one day find happiness. Not only for him but for his family. He'd be the one to help not only himself, but everybody to find happiness and lead a somewhat normal life without a grim ending or empty future.
Sorry for blabbing so long. Just wondered if anybody else had any deep thoughts on a ninja turtle (or turtles) and would like to share.
P.S. glad to have joined the boards.

Ryona
05-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Wow :tsurpris: ! That was deep. Very deep!
You know, I've some times thought of the turtles in such depth as well. The one I'm drawn to most is Leonardo. We all know the kinda roll that Leo plays. I've always thought of how much tension is on Leo constantly. He's the "big brother" of the four, so he always looks out for them like a gardian. Ninjutsu is his life...but probably not by choice.
I think that Leonardo has surpassed Master Splinter in the arts but keeps that to him self. I think that Leonardo is a more capable fighter than he lets his family know, just so they don't become too reliant on him. I don't think he wants that.
He's certainly at ease when his brothers are not involved with the battles. It doesn't seem like Leonardo is too bothered that he and his family are different from the rest of the world. He seems to be comfortable with being alone in the world.
Chances are that Master Splinter's presence is what keeps Leo calm and cool. If Splinter or one of his brothers died (got killed), Leonardo would probably be the one to snap and go berserk over the other turtles, Raph would probably be cool and composed, Don would probably emotionaly collaps and need comfort and Mikey would probably be dead serious and distant.
If Leo was to get mortaly wounded, he would probably want to die alone rather then have his family watch him die, knowing that he wont be there for them any more.
There is probably a part of Leonardo that would like to abandon all his responsabillities and leave his family behind as he walks the Earth.

Coola Yagami
05-13-2004, 11:17 PM
I think it was kinda deep in City at War that Leo grew tired of fighting the foot and leading Splinter's life- after all, the whole Foot/Shredder thing was Splinter's thing- and wanted to live his own life in peace already.

Jester
05-14-2004, 07:06 AM
i've honsetly never thought into much depth about TMNT, but i totaly agree with the x-men angle....cause i'm a marvel junkie also. The tmnt seem more like the poor morlocks, who's mutations aren't as astheticaly pleasing as the sometimes supermodel good looks of some of the x-men. Anybody thats forsed to dwell in the sewer has to adjust to it in their own way. Raphie has the most gloomy view....sees them as hopeless causes...."No one even knows we're alive down here!!!" Leo filles his life with ninjitsu, it's his out of his less than glamerous life...i think that he plays the leadership roll cause he takes it the most seriously, he's the most dedicated to the way. Donny tries to get a little from the outside world with technology, and mikey the same with his boob tube. they seem to be the most upbeat about their situation...cause they have an outlet to the outside world they love. Then there's splinter whos outlet is his sons. If it weren't for the turtles splinters life would be meaningless. those are just my thoughts as i sit here...i don't know how many are correct or not, just my opinions.

Coola Yagami
05-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Well, the TMNT were born and raised in the sewers. They're just curious of what's out there. The Morlocks were most likely born in the 'real world' before their mutations kicked in and then saw themselves forced to live in the sewers. Being in a happy home and then forced to live in the sewers is worse than being raised in the sewers from the get go. I wonder if the TMNT still have faint memories of their simple lives as petshop turtles???

Buslady
05-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I've analyzed his personality but never typed up much about it. Just a little thing on my Raph shrine page. Like a summary of his personality, at least my take on him. But yeah...

Good article though.

Red Lioness
05-14-2004, 02:16 PM
I always thought of Raph as one of those macho guys who doesn't feel complete unless he has a girlfriend/wife/woman to dote on and let out his softer side. You know the kind of guy I mean; big burly biker types who'd break a guy's face for bumping into them, but absolutely dote on thier significant others and will spend hours playing teaparty with little kids. The fact that he can't have a lover or a family is what makes him such a sour, miserable bastard.

And I can't say that I blame him.

Buslady
05-14-2004, 08:26 PM
I always thought of Raph as one of those macho guys who doesn't feel complete unless he has a girlfriend/wife/woman to dote on and let out his softer side. You know the kind of guy I mean; big burly biker types who'd break a guy's face for bumping into them, but absolutely dote on thier significant others and will spend hours playing teaparty with little kids. The fact that he can't have a lover or a family is what makes him such a sour, miserable bastard.

And I can't say that I blame him.

If yer interested I wrote a short paragraph on him and love, it's on my site on the Raph page. If he did hook up, he'd do anything and everything to keep her.

Wingnut
05-14-2004, 10:58 PM
I try to think of things that deep,but if i did my head would explode.

heretic888
05-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Exactly which version of the TMNT are we discussing here??

Buslady
05-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Exactly which version of the TMNT are we discussing here??

I usually think of the movie, new toon and Mirage Raph..