PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst movie's of 2004

Misfit
05-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Out of the movies you've seen so far this year, which are the best, and which have been the worst?

So far Starsky & Hutch has by far been my favourite although I really enjoyed Uptown Girls.

Movies I want to see: Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and Disney's Home on the Range. I'm also really anticipating the new King Arthur movie as well.

Movie's that but look awful: Van Helsing and Catwoman. I see the Olsen twins have a new flick coming out called New York Minute which looks pretty bad and sounds like it's the same as all their other movies. Those twins should quit the film business, otherwise we'll be seein The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley: The Great Retirement Home Caper. Please spare us! They can't even act anyway.

That Matt Guy
05-16-2004, 04:49 PM
It's too early to say whats crap for 2004. We have 7 months left of movies.

Misfit
05-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Well just choose from what movies you've seen so far and judge any trailers as well.

Shadow the hedgehog
05-16-2004, 05:17 PM
I enjoyed Van Helsing.

I think it puts a nice twist on all the classic monsters.

Nosferatu
05-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Let's see...

I've only seen Van Helsing and 50 First Dates (it was completely free) this year.

I enjoyed Van Helsing, even though it wasn't as great as I thought it was going to be. It was much better than 50 First Dates, which wasn't bad itself.

So I guess Van Helsing is the best movie I've seen so far this year and I guess 50 First Dates is the worst, by default.

Wingnut
05-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I enjoyed Van Helsing.

I think it puts a nice twist on all the classic monsters.
yea,i like how it connected all the stories of the monsters.

Tigershard
05-16-2004, 06:11 PM
My favorite movie so far this year is "Mean Girls"

JameO
05-16-2004, 08:13 PM
On the other hand I hated that movie they like to call "Mean Girls". Got forced to watch it and boy oh boy is it horrible. The best movie that I have seen in 2004 would be Hell Boy.

Peanut
05-16-2004, 09:20 PM
GOD! MEAN GIRLS! Dude that movie sucked. We will not get sucked into that bullsh*t again! Next time it's OUR choice. They wouldn't even go see The Hulk. Why should we go see their stupid crap? As far as the topic subject goes...I've seen more movies this year than in many other years. I don't think I could pick a favourite, because there are still some good ones to come out. With HP:PoA coming out along with Spider-Man 2 I don't think I'd be able to pick one anyways.

Voltron
05-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Punisher.

Jo Dawn
05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Well... I don't think I could choose quite yet for the worst. I don't really go to se movies that I don't think that I will like.

But I can already tell you that HP:PoA will be my favorite! It already is! :)

05-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Punisher was the best movie of 2004 hands down.

Mars-Chan
05-16-2004, 09:59 PM
I LOVED Van Helsing. It was so good.

Igor! Igor! Do unto others....
...as they would do unto me!!

:lol:

Voltron
05-16-2004, 10:02 PM
I believe the line was "Do unto others before they do unto me." And I felt the movie was absolute crap. It's predictablity was shattered by a ****** ending.

Ryona
05-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Van Helsing was great! Some people have been saying that it's not a good movie. I think these people were just expecting too much from the movie. It's not a movie to be taken' seriously. I mean, don't expect a very well written story that takes, like, half an hour to build up to something. Heck, the story had to be fast paced because of all the famous B-movie monsters they crammed into it; And they ended the movie the way they did because it's not likely that they plan to make a sequel after it. This movie stands on its own.
It was just plain fun to watch!

I also liked Starsky and Hutch.

Like Jo Dawn, I can smell a bad movie a mile away, so, I haven't watched any bad movies this year.

Voltron
05-16-2004, 11:56 PM
Van Helsing was great! Some people have been saying that it's not a good movie. I think these people were just expecting too much from the movie. It's not a movie to be taken' seriously. I mean, don't expect a very well written story that takes, like, half an hour to build up to something. Heck, the story had to be fast paced because of all the famous B-movie monsters they crammed into it; And they ended the movie the way they did because it's not likely that they plan to make a sequel after it. This movie stands on its own.
It was just plain fun to watch!

I also liked Starsky and Hutch.

Like Jo Dawn, I can smell a bad movie a mile away, so, I haven't watched any bad movies this year.

Sorry, I felt Van Helsing didn't pay homage to the old movies.

Dane E5R
05-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Punisher so far has been my favorite, with Hellboy coming in at a close second. I think Spider-Man 2 will end up being my favorite overall. And stick Blade Trinity in there some where.

Nosferatu
05-17-2004, 02:50 AM
...it's not likely that they plan to make a sequel after it.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect a sequel anytime soon. I mean what monster could he go after next? They've already covered the legendary monsters from before Hollywood got big.

If they were to make a sequel, they'd have to have him battle the creature from the black lagoon or something, and that just wouldn't cut it since it's the wrong time line and it's just a Hollywood monster.

As for Spider-Man 2, I'm sure that'll become my favorite movie of 2004 when it comes out. I won't even have to see it for it to become my favorite movie of 2004. :goofygri:

damnhooligan
05-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Dawn of the Dead come to mind for some of the better movies of 2004.

As for the worst? Take your pick. New York Minute, Walking Tall, Johnson Family Vacation, Torque, Godsend, Envy, The Whole Ten Yards, The Girl Next Door, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. We're constantly inundated with crappy movies, a trend that will never cease.

That Matt Guy
05-17-2004, 04:50 AM
There is a movie coming out called Ghost Soldiers, based on the book by the same name. That will be the best movie of 2004, if it ever f***ing gets past post production.

damnhooligan
05-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Ghost Soldiers was pretty intense. Loved the book, but I'm kind iffy about the movie. I heard Tom Cruise and Spielberg were attached to the film, and though that's no longer the case now, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh well. Wait and see.

EDIT: F*ck. Cruise is a Producer.

MW8979
05-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Van Helsing was good as an action film. You have to be thankful that they didn't make Dracula a wimp or just a corny cliche, he was definately more violent then in older movies. It would have been nice for them to build up some more storyline and indepth character exploration, but for that you'd need a tv miniseries, and if that ever happens, you just know the quality will go down the drain. I have a feeling though that they'll make both a miniseries and a sequel to that movie though.

Hannah
05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Big fish. Nothing can compare to it this year. Biiiiiig Fiiiiish.

All the others I've seen this year sucked. Harry Potter 3 might be okay, though. But I'm definately not seeing TSOUE movie. The previews have "gay" plastered all over. TSOUE is tragedy!!! Not comedy!! Ugh!

raphael_is_cool
05-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I quite liked The Girl Next Door

I wouldn't say I hate any films really (unless it's written by Charlie Kaufman). I need to watch more recent films rather than classics I guess

The Stryker
05-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I Loved Van Helsing

My Only Gripe is the Ever-Whining Frankenstein's monster, damn he should just stick to "Eeeeeugh!!! Fire!!! Aaaahh!!"

And Igor! I Have a Shirt made from cheap Iron-on Decals with his Face and the fav Igor Quote "It's What I Do"

Mobius One
05-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Punisher is probably my favorite so far this year, but it just may get beaten out by Spiderman 2. Worst movie I saw was...The Perfect Score. What was I thinking? Eh, The Punisher slaughtered that movie. I am also looking forward to a lot of movies, like the new Batman Movie. Oh, The Matrix movies ( the new ones, and I am not sure if they are from this year...) they SUCKED. They were so bad. Done.

Brodie
05-17-2004, 05:23 PM

All the others I've seen this year sucked. Harry Potter 3 might be okay, though. But I'm definately not seeing TSOUE movie. The previews have "gay" plastered all over. TSOUE is tragedy!!! Not comedy!! Ugh!

Tim Burton is a retard. "I'm a kookie artist...I just love Movie Magic." What the hell was up with POTA? And this movie, Big Fish will beat Hellboy, Dawn of The Dead (The best yet), The Punisher (Also one of the best, if not a tie with DOTD), and The upcoming Spider-Man 2? I hated the first Spider-Man flick but I KNOW the second will be better than Big Fish.

Wingnut
05-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Tim Burton is a retard.
:lol: :lol: :lol: best thing i've heard all day.

Brodie
05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
The Truth usually is.

Wingnut
05-17-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't know if it came out in 03 or 04 but 'You Got Served' needs to go down as one of the worst movies of all time. Pure fecal cinema.

cqb101
05-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Worst:

Van Helsing(probably the worst movie I've seen priod)
Starsky and Hutch

Best:

Hellboy
KB 2
Secret Window

Pretty good:

Big Fish
Dawn remake
Troy

MGMae
05-17-2004, 10:38 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't expect a sequel anytime soon. I mean what monster could he go after next? They've already covered the legendary monsters from before Hollywood got big.

Actually, I believe they are planning to make a sequel. The HBO making of special had the director talking about how he found all these obscure monsters that he wants to use the next go round. :roll:

Alright, being a dummy - have to ask, what is TSOUE??

Can't really weigh in, as I don't think I've seen any movies this year :lol:
But my crap-radar has set its sights on Catwoman...

That Matt Guy
05-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Ghost Soldiers was pretty intense. Loved the book, but I'm kind iffy about the movie. I heard Tom Cruise and Spielberg were attached to the film, and though that's no longer the case now, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh well. Wait and see.

EDIT: F*ck. Cruise is a Producer.

I doubt one person could ruin the entire production. At least he isn't the star.

raphael_is_cool
05-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Tim Burton is a retard.

Haha! Yes!

I liked the Batman films but other than that he sucks. With POTA he couldn't even get a single thought straight and then tries to say the ending was obvious to him

And I believe a producer can seriously affect a film, considering they can get the final cut (thus taking out significant scenes) as well as play a major part in the script and casting

Grave
05-18-2004, 08:00 AM
I'v gone to the movies a total of four times this year, so I can't say much about anything.

Nosferatu
05-18-2004, 08:05 AM

Actually, I believe they are planning to make a sequel. The HBO making of special had the director talking about how he found all these obscure monsters that he wants to use the next go round. :roll:

I just found out last night that they have made and released a "Young Van Helsing" and some animated Van Helsing movie. I wonder what monsters he's battling in those?

I should have probably read the backs, but my attention span isn't that good. :goofygri:

Meira-Bates
05-18-2004, 08:18 AM
x.x I've only seen Van Helsing so far, cause a friend dragged me to it- well no wait...was the last LOTR in Dec or Jan? But which ever it is, the same friend is planning to drag me out to watch Chronicles of Reddick(I think it was called)... I really need to start checking out what movies are coming out and then make her take me to one /I/ want to see. >.>

Hannah
05-18-2004, 01:05 PM

Tim Burton is a retard. "I'm a kookie artist...I just love Movie Magic." What the hell was up with POTA? And this movie, Big Fish will beat Hellboy, Dawn of The Dead (The best yet), The Punisher (Also one of the best, if not a tie with DOTD), and The upcoming Spider-Man 2? I hated the first Spider-Man flick but I KNOW the second will be better than Big Fish.
YOU DARE DISRESPECT BURTON?!?!?! ...he's awesome...

Did you ever read TNBC or seen the movie? The books better, but still... It's amazing... Big Fish rocked, man. IT ROCKED. WHAT I SAY COUNTS!!! GRAWR!
And, he's directing a stop motion animated feature (Just like TNBC!) called "The Corpse Bride" which looks AWESOME. SO SHADDUP. :x

Jo Dawn
05-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I've yet to see Big Fish. Been waiting to rent it with a friend of mine, but he's busy...

*waits patiently still*

Hannah
05-18-2004, 01:14 PM
I've yet to see Big Fish. Been waiting to rent it with a friend of mine, but he's busy...

*waits patiently still*
Thou has not seen the excellance of Big Fish?? -faints-

Peanut
05-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Big Fish sucked.

Jo Dawn
05-18-2004, 01:20 PM
What was so bad about it?? You can PM me the answer if you want. But I am curious as to know...

Peanut
05-18-2004, 01:21 PM
I'll tell you when I see it! :D

Hannah
05-18-2004, 01:26 PM
I'll tell you when I see it! :D
My god, Mike. For a second I actually thought that you didnt like it. ...It's lucky you havent seen it yet... -hides death ray-

cqb101
05-18-2004, 04:10 PM

Did you ever read TNBC or seen the movie? The books better, but still... It's amazing... Big Fish rocked, man. IT ROCKED. WHAT I SAY COUNTS!!! GRAWR!
And, he's directing a stop motion animated feature (Just like TNBC!) called "The Corpse Bride" which looks AWESOME. SO SHADDUP. :x

Burton didn't write or direct TNBC...He only created the characters.

Oh,, and Big Fsih was cool but definately not his best....Edward Scissorhands is a godly movie...So are his two Batman films.

Hannah
05-18-2004, 04:12 PM

Oh,, and Big Fsih was cool but definately not his best....Edward Scissorhands is a godly movie...So are his two Batman films.
Burton wrote the poem... duh....

cqb101
05-18-2004, 04:13 PM

Burton wrote the poem... duh....

The movie's not a poem, duh. The bottom line is, he didn't have very much to do with the final product.

Hannah
05-18-2004, 04:18 PM
-sigh-
He didn't direct it only because he was busy with batman. But, if you watched the Making of it on the DVD, Burton helped Elfman alot with the songs and music. Duh.

Meira-Bates
05-18-2004, 04:26 PM
would you stop saying duh? -.-

Hannah
05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
would you stop saying duh? -.-
Duh! ..okay...

Meira-Bates
05-18-2004, 04:28 PM
lol ^.^ yeah thanks