PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gentlemen, SEGA is dead.

ThirdMarioBro
05-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Sammy to Buy Remainder of
Sega for 165 Billion Yen
in Stock
--------------------------------------
May 18 (Bloomberg) -- Sammy Corp., Japan's biggest maker of gambling machines, said it will buy the three quarters of Sega Corp. it doesn't own for about 165 billion yen ($1.45 billion) in stock, resurrecting a takeover that collapsed in May last year.

Sammy President Hajime Satomi will head a new holding company that will buy all shares of Sega, the maker of ``Sonic the Hedgehog'' video games and Sammy, its biggest shareholder, in October, according to a joint statement. Sammy shareholders will control 72 percent of the new company, which will have combined annual sales of about 501 billion yen this fiscal year.

Sammy in December bought a 22 percent stake in Sega, which lost a combined 191 billion yen in the five years from 1998. Hatomi, who took over as chairman of Sega after the stake purchase, told reporters at a Tokyo press conference he wants to cut costs and use Sega to expand Sammy's business, which is largely domestic, overseas.

Satomi ``wants to control everything and this is easier for him,'' said Masaru Ohnishi, a Tokyo-based analyst for JP Morgan Securities Asia. Satomi may look to cut costs in Sega's research and development, Ohnishi said.

Closer cooperation between the two companies, both based in Tokyo, may help the companies save money, executives have said.

``There's no resource sharing. We haven't decided how to do that,'' Scott Steinberg, vice president of marketing for Sega of America Inc., said in an interview at the E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles last week.

Sega shareholders will receive 0.28 share of the holding company for each Sega shares. Sammy shareholders will receive one of the new company's shares for each Sammy share, the statement said. Sammy has 87.5 million shares outstanding and controls 22.4 percent of Sega stock. Sega has 174.95 million shares outstanding.

Morgan Stanley and Daiwa Securities SMBC Co. advised on the transaction.

Net Income Doubled

Sega's full-year net income more than doubled to 8.8 billion yen during the year ended March 31, from 3.1 billion yen a year earlier, helped by demand for arcade game machines, the company said in a statement filed through the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Sega expects net income for the year ending March 31, 2005, to fall 8.7 percent to 8 billion yen, while sales will rise 6.7 percent to 204 billion yen.

The operating loss at Sega from games played on consoles such as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Co.'s GameCube narrowed to 2.8 billion yen during the year ended March 31 from 8.6 billion a year earlier.

Spending on games in Japan dropped 5 percent in 2003 to 302 billion yen, according to a report by Tokyo-based market researcher Enterbrain Inc.

Sammy today reported that net income for the year ended March 31 rose 40 percent to 32.2 billion yen on sales that gained 52 percent to 251 billion yen. Sammy sees net income rising 12 percent to 36 billion yen this year on sales of 297 billion yen.

Sega shares rose 1 percent to 1,000 yen in Tokyo Stock Exchange trading. Sammy shares rose 4.8 percent to 4,330 yen.
----------------------------------------------------------------

:cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :cry: :( :cry: :cry: :(

I seriously want to die right now. If it wern't for Nintendo's recent ass kicking spree.....I don't know.

SEGA is now wholly owned by those bastards at Sammy. Sonic is now trapped within a company that wants Sega to discontinue all home console games, and focus on the dying Arcade industry because they still make $$$ in Japan. That means that there will eventually be no more Sega home games in the future, and the few Japanese arcade games that are made by them won't even be ported to America. Sega was an important part of video gaming's past, and a strong part of the culture that survives to this day.

A seriously large part of Classic gaming has left us today. God have mercy on Hajime Satomi's soul, because I certinally won't.

:cry: :( :cry:

05-18-2004, 10:34 PM
WHAT?! But I thought they were making a new console! Did this just happen recently? This is terrible!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to read the top part.

The Stryker
05-18-2004, 10:35 PM
*Big Dr.Evil Laugh with Mario,Luigi,Donkey Kong and the Digdug guy*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ThirdMarioBro
05-18-2004, 10:37 PM
WHAT?! But I thought they were making a new console! Did this just happen recently? This is terrible!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to read the top part.

That was sadly just a rumor started by Sonic Cult.

The Stryker
05-18-2004, 10:39 PM
*Continues With Dr. Evil Laugh*.....*Holds out hands and Laughter Stops*

Well Pretty Soon God Forbid Nintendo will probably sink into the Pit As well and to think....They Did it to themselves (The Whole Batman-Joker Aspect to Nintendo and Sony)

ThirdMarioBro
05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
That will never happen, so quit talking like an idiot. Sorry, I'm just upset.

The Stryker
05-18-2004, 10:46 PM
:o

WHAT?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I am by No means a Sony Fanboy, It's just that Society Has Changed and so have the Kids, and more of them are popping out every day and they all want blood and gore....and Playstation is the Leading Supplier of that and if things keep going the way they're going....Well ya know

and Nintendo in A Way Created the Playstation

05-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Console wars get so out of hand. :lol:

Meira-Bates
05-18-2004, 10:50 PM
I like all the consoles myself (except I've got no idea about X-box but I actualy doubt I'd like it). I'm sad to see Sega go down like this...

ThirdMarioBro
05-18-2004, 10:50 PM
:o

WHAT?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I am by No means a Sony Fanboy, It's just that Society Has Changed and so have the Kids, and more of them are popping out every day and they all want blood and gore....and Playstation is the Leading Supplier of that and if things keep going the way they're going....Well ya know

and Nintendo in A Way Created the Playstation

I apoligize. You're right, it's just a sad miserable day for gaming. The whole industry is going to hell, and so is society. It makes you miss the old days. Anyway, the Playstation is Nintendo's fault. I just wish they had killed it when they had the chance. Here's hoping the DS kicks the PSP's ass.

The Stryker
05-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Ok Back in the Day (The Inbetween Period Between SNES and N64) Nintendo Thought Cartridges were dead so they collaborated with Sony to Create a New Disc-Based Console, It was Dubbed the Playstation, But then Nintendo Decided not to go that Way and heres were the Supervillian Part kicks in, Sony, with its newfound Knowledges decides to release the Playstation without the Help of Nintendo.

and Then Playstation Destroyed the Sega Saturn in Sales and Quality.

In the Console War Im Neutral, I Like Mario and some Games on PS2

But all in All I don't Really Give a Flying **** about Sonic and Sega

ThirdMarioBro
05-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Well I do.

Sadako*sCranes
05-18-2004, 11:20 PM
For crying out loud! :o :x It's to the point where no one can enjoy much of anything anymore cause every time we turn around something well known to us is torn out, folded up, and flown away to where it's not respected! I feel nauseous....... :sick:

ThirdMarioBro
05-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Amen. This world sucks.