The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Star Wars Resistance, the next cartoon and successor to Clone Wars and Rebels (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59894)

CyberCubed 04-26-2018 10:22 AM

Star Wars Resistance, the next cartoon and successor to Clone Wars and Rebels

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-re...ser-1825546331

https://i.imgur.com/v8UD5u9.jpg

Quote:

Announced by Lucasfilm today, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebelsproducer Dave Filoni’s next project will be Star Wars Resistance.

Set in what is described by the company as an “uncharted time frame prior to The Force Awakens,” the “anime-inspired” Resistance will follow a young pilot named Kazuda Xiono, recruited by General Leia Organa’s burgeoning Resistance for a top-secret surveillance mission to survey the growing power of the First Order. The series will focus on Kazuda and a cast of ace pilots, but will also feature familiar faces from the sequel trilogy in the form of BB-8, Poe Dameron, and Captain Phasma, with both Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie reprising their respective roles for the series.

According to Filoni—who will executive produce the series alongside Rebels veterans Athena Portillo and Justin Ridge, as well as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Brandon Auman—the series will focus on the high-flying, high-speed adventures of the galaxy far, far away’s daring pilots:

The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.

No other details were revealed about the series, although we should mention there were zero mentions of Jedi in the announcement.

Star Wars Resistance will feature a voice cast alongside Isaac and Christie that includes Christopher Sean, Suzie McGrath, Scott Lawrence, Myrna Velasco, Josh Brener, Donald Faison (a big Star Wars fan, we should note, especially Rebels), Bobby Moynihan, Jim Rash, and Rachel Butera.

Star Wars Resistance will premiere on the Disney Channel this fall, before transitioning to its regular home on Disney XD.
We're getting a third Star Wars cartoon which was expected since Rebels just wrapped.

Filon's Star Wars cartoons keep going, we'll most likely see Ahsoka in this too.

TigerClaw 04-26-2018 10:32 AM

Brandon Auman who worked on the 2k12 TMNT series is a head writer/Exec producer for the new series.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiCfUusD...=brandon_auman

Andrew NDB 04-26-2018 10:34 AM

I guess it's hard to get mad at them for doing something other than more OT wank.

Maybe this can even retroactively make Episode 7 and 8 make sense...

https://media.giphy.com/media/CoDp6NnSmItoY/200.gif

TigerClaw 04-26-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1757254)
I guess it's hard to get mad at them for doing something other than more OT wank.

Maybe this can even retroactively make Episode 7 and 8 make sense...

https://media.giphy.com/media/CoDp6NnSmItoY/200.gif

Plus we get to see more of Captain Phasma.

CyberCubed 04-26-2018 10:37 AM

The Clone Wars cartoon really fleshed out the Clone Wars era and improved some of the flaws of the prequels (particularly Anakin's characterisation), so we'll see.

It's kind of funny that these days 30+ year old adults get more excited to watch kids cartoons than the movies. All the people on other forums cheering for this are 30+ year old adults. lol.

Allio 04-26-2018 11:13 AM

“Anime inspired”

Hopefully it’s more avatar/voltron rather than Rwby/teen titans

Autbot_Benz 04-26-2018 11:17 AM

uh oh this is set in the new star wars universe

https://i.imgur.com/rnuz8jX.jpg

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 04-26-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1757263)
uh oh this is set in the new star wars universe

https://i.imgur.com/rnuz8jX.jpg

You shoulda just shorted that to "is coming." Still made me laugh, though. :tlol:

I dunno, I don't get excited for cartoons. Even cartoons adults can enjoy. It just feels like... I dunno, like cheating. Taking the easy way of telling a story.

CyberCubed 04-26-2018 11:24 AM

Cartoons are written for adults nowadays. Even ones aimed at kids.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 04-26-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1757266)
Cartoons are written for adults nowadays. Even ones aimed at kids.

Yes, Cubed, I'm aware of that.

It just seems like taking the cheapest form of storytelling to placate adults who want stories.

Serious Ninja Turtle movies? Nah, he's a cartoon with some horror references that kids won't get. Good Justice League movies? Nah, he's a new cartoon series. Good Star Wars movies set in [x] time period? Nah, have a cartoon.

My take, anyway.

Andrew NDB 04-26-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1757264)
I dunno, I don't get excited for cartoons. Even cartoons adults can enjoy. It just feels like... I dunno, like cheating. Taking the easy way of telling a story.

The same. It doesn't feel "real" to me. Even a book feel more "real" to me than a cartoon.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 04-26-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1757269)
The same. It doesn't feel "real" to me. Even a book feel more "real" to me than a cartoon.

Glad somebody else gets my thinking!

ABrown 04-26-2018 11:48 AM

Out of respect for The Clone Wars and Rebels (which I both enjoyed), I'll give this new show a chance. But it doesn't sound like anything that I'm going to be interested in.

Vegita-San 04-26-2018 11:49 AM

I'm just not a fan of the new turtle guys working on the new star wars things. star wars is in bad enough shape as it is. we don't need more horror elements introduced into star wars. ugh.

sdp 04-26-2018 12:01 PM

I never understood how people say "Clone Wars fixes the PT", it doesn't really. They're fun stories but I don't think they add to the movies, in fact they cause more problems. The original "The Clone Wars" cartoons which are ironically non-canon do make the movies better since they were made to bridge the gap between the movies and without them you're left with a bunch of questions. I like CG Clone Wars but it's not so amazing.

I do think this series can flesh out the sequel trilogy a bit better but it's limited what it can do. Can it make Captain Phasma into a badass? Maybe but we already know how she'll be in the actual movies, etc. So yeah, I don't think it'll do harm and may fix a few things but it won't make the ST actually good.

CyberCubed 04-26-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1757268)
Yes, Cubed, I'm aware of that.

It just seems like taking the cheapest form of storytelling to placate adults who want stories.

Serious Ninja Turtle movies? Nah, he's a cartoon with some horror references that kids won't get. Good Justice League movies? Nah, he's a new cartoon series. Good Star Wars movies set in [x] time period? Nah, have a cartoon.

My take, anyway.

Hm, do you think all animation is inferior? Disney/Pixar cartoon movies are written for adults to enjoy, Young Justice is considered one of the best DC series of all time and it's a cartoon, and of course the classic Batman: TAS is critically acclaimed. There's also anime most of which is aimed at adults and I'm not even much an anime fan in general. It's also obviously easier to do these shows with cartoons/animation than with real people, cheaper too, so we get more stories out of it.

I mean we're not in the 1980's anymore, there's so much animation and cartoons aimed at adults these days. Let alone all the adult comedies they air, etc.

Raph's Girl 04-26-2018 02:17 PM

Can't wait to see the first footage. Probably at San Diego Comic Con.

sdp 04-26-2018 02:22 PM

Now more than ever there's a ton of cartoons aimed at adults thanks to the success of Adult Swim. However most of those shows tend to be comedies. Yes, many shows are now written intelligent enough that not only kids but adults can enjoy them too. That doesn't mean the shows target audience isn't primarily kids even if there's a small loud niche online of adult fans.

I love animation but it's still doesn't hit the same points a live action show/movie for adults. Let alone a book which is the superior format for storytelling. We can cherry pick exceptions, for example BTAS being better than any live action take but they pale in comparison to what can be achieved if something is really meant for adults.

Yeah it's cool to see how much progress cartoons have made over the years but it's still a long way before you can argue that they're the same.

plastroncafe 04-26-2018 02:25 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm far more lenient when it comes to plot and execution with animation than I am with something live action.

There are just things you can get away with in a cartoon that you can't with actual actors, and depending on the story sometimes Show Not Tell just works better.

sdp 04-26-2018 02:34 PM

Here's my wishlist for the show:

*Exploit BB-8, he was such an awesome addition to Episode VII and sadly got ignored in Ep. VIII.
*Continue the fanwankery of using the continuity of Clone Wars/Rebels to tell stories with characters we saw in those series. It really helped Rebels feel like a more established universe.
* Try to adapt some stories, haven't watched S3/4 of Rebels so no spoilers but if General Thrawn wasn't killed or Hier to the Empire adapted, maybe it can be adapted in some way, not just that but other fun post OT EU stories
*Goes without saying but try to make the sequels make more sense by
explaining all the problems of going back to the OT in the 30 year span.
*Have an episode with Finn as a storm trooper before he ever met the others
*It's time for Jar Jar Binks to return
*The Empire should really be dealt with a minimum, have more fun stories but based on Leia/Poe being integral parts of the plot I'm guessing that's hoping for too much

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1757298)
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm far more lenient when it comes to plot and execution with animation than I am with something live action.

There are just things you can get away with in a cartoon that you can't with actual actors, and depending on the story sometimes Show Not Tell just works better.

I think it has to do with suspension of disbelief, when it's animated you're already accepting that these drawings are "real" so you're more willing to let them do things that your brain might not let pass if it's done by CG or a more realistic set of rules. That's what I think.