The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Netflix Luke Cage series (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53190)

TurtleTitan97 09-26-2016 11:26 AM

You should totally watch it, it's a good series.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-26-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 (Post 1627385)
I didn't see Jessica Jones, but I may have to watch this! Looks awesome.

Jessica Jones has been my personal favorite so far, easily beating out both seasons of Daredevil.

plastroncafe 09-26-2016 12:02 PM

Yeah, Jessica Jones is very very good.
(But read the comics too, because they're loads better.)

ToTheNines 09-29-2016 01:18 PM

The nerd in me is super annoyed by the inclusion of Obama in that montage. He was never President in the MCU.

plastroncafe 09-29-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1628429)

The nerd in me is super annoyed by the inclusion of Obama in that montage. He was never President in the MCU.

I think they're skirting around that by not showing him as having any of the Presidential trappings. In this universe Obama could still be a Community Organizer out of Chicago, or merely a Senator.

Oh holy crap! This comes out tomorrow!

ToTheNines 09-30-2016 12:20 PM

It's not even the opening lol. Not sure what that's about. Just started episode one! So excited!

TurtleTitan97 09-30-2016 02:57 PM

About to start on episode 6. Been really enjoying it so far. And I loved the throwback to Luke's classic outfit.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-30-2016 09:56 PM

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. :teek:

I was NOT expecting the plot twist where:

Spoiler:
Misty's partner is crooked and kills Chico.

On to Episode 4!!!

ToTheNines 10-01-2016 05:59 AM

It's so good! The fights are no Daredevil, but they're better than JJ. Lots of brutal stuff though.

The contemporary blaxploitation style gives it a pretty hard Tarantino vibe at times, which is great for me. The soundtrack is not nearly as hip-hop based as I was expecting, but still great.

I marked the **** out when Luke turned on "Bring Da Ruckus" during the fortress raid scene. So awesome. They totally storyboarded the fight around the lyrics, but not in a cheesy way. It was almost ruined by the omission of the eff-word, but it's ok. Maybe if they ever release a blu ray, they'll say it.

I'm totally in love with Misty Knight, and I read today that she's gonna be in Defenders, so that's cool.

Kinda mad they killed Pop. He was a unique character, then they just made him Luke's Ho Yinsen/Dr. Erskine/Uncle Ben. But there's been plenty of great drama mined from it, so it's alright.

REALLY glad they stuck with the freak accident angle of his powers. I hate how everything these days has to get into the science and divine reasoning for characters origins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1628449)
I think they're skirting around that by not showing him as having any of the Presidential trappings. In this universe Obama could still be a Community Organizer out of Chicago, or merely a Senator.

Oh holy crap! This comes out tomorrow!

So like I said, that's not the into. But, Obama singing an Al Green song on camera was referenced. I guess we'll still pretend he's a Senator.

Jester 10-01-2016 07:08 AM

I think this is my favorite Marvel Netflix series. Love it's style, it's soundtrack, it's cast. Actually felt real anger watching episode 2.

ToTheNines 10-01-2016 10:20 AM

The Method Man "freestyle" from ep 12 is available on Amazon music and itunes. Titled: Bulletproof Love.

mrmaczaps 10-01-2016 11:47 AM

Not really digging this series... Not a fan of the constant use of the N word. Not a fan...

plastroncafe 10-01-2016 12:11 PM

I'm only two episodes in and I'm finding it kind of slow.
I'm sure it's going to pick up speed quick, but as of right this second...I'm more admiring the pretty people than I am the plot.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 10-01-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1628893)
I'm only two episodes in and I'm finding it kind of slow.
I'm sure it's going to pick up speed quick, but as of right this second...I'm more admiring the pretty people than I am the plot.

I got through the first four episodes last night, planning to do another four and four by Monday morning.

It is going slower than Jessica Jones; also, Cottonmouth has not yet terrified me. Fisk and Kilgrave had both convinced me of their menace within the first episode or two, but so far, Cottonmouth doesn't have the same level of impact though he is quite compelling. Mariah is pretty great, too.

Luke is awesome. Squabbles is awesome. RIP Reva. The flashback episode was great.

ToTheNines 10-01-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1628885)
Not really digging this series... Not a fan of the constant use of the N word. Not a fan...

I mean, Luke himself condemns it lol. I haven't found it excessive and I'm glad they didn't puss out and not use it. Would have been inauthentic.

Cure 10-01-2016 02:17 PM

I think this is pretty alright. Not as good as Daredevil but way better than Jessica Jones.

mrmaczaps 10-01-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1628899)
I mean, Luke himself condemns it lol. I haven't found it excessive and I'm glad they didn't puss out and not use it. Would have been inauthentic.

Yeah I get that Luke does, but on the flip side... Use it sparingly. Some sequences just seem to be laced with it, specifically the music/club scenes...

I was brought up not to use it and find it distasteful even when others use it... Even in "entertainment".

ToTheNines 10-01-2016 03:49 PM

Eh, I heard it every day growing up in a Chicago-suburb, then even more in high school here. And every time I listen to rap, or listen to stand-up. I'm pretty much desensitized by now.

joe-eyeball 10-01-2016 06:38 PM

After a few episodes in, I'm finding it kind of slow and boring! Also, the music doesn't always match the mood of what's appearing on screen. So far it's definitely my least favorite marvel Netflix series! It's a shame because I had high hopes for it. Maybe I'll change my opinion after watching all of the episodes?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 10-01-2016 07:59 PM

Man... the Stokes family is missed up. Mamma Mabel and Uncle Pete.

Really feel bad for Cornell "Cottonmouth." Like he said, he could've been somebody.

Also Mariah. Finishing Episode 7... can't wait to see where it goes.