The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toys and Collectibles (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Do you think you'll ever stop purchasing/collecting toys? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59459)

Prowler 01-24-2018 07:38 AM

Do you think you'll ever stop purchasing/collecting toys?

So, I notice a lot of adults in here collect toys still, so I figured this would be a good question to ask. Do you think you'll ever stop purchasing/collecting toys one day? And by this I mean toys for yourself. I'm not talking about parents buying toys for their kids or adults buying toys for their nephews or other kid relatives they have.

The last toys I've bought was in 2012-2013 or so? It was the 4 TMNT(FW version). Big action figures. Never opened them. I was 21-22 when I bought them. By then the Nick show was coming/had already started, so you could find a lot of TMNT merch in stores for the first time in a while.

...I kind of regret buying them. They were kinda pricey and I just keep them boxed in my closet. As an adult, I really can't be bothered to collect action figures anymore. Thing is, I was still playing with my TMNT and wrestling action figures up until 2010 or so, but I can't bring myself to do that these days anymore, and buying stuff just to leave it boxed has never been my policy really. Same goes for video games. If I buy something, I want to put it int practical use, not just leave it on a shelf. So yeah, buying action figures of my favourite properties no longer appeals me.

For those of you who are adults and still collect/buy toys, do you think you'll ever fel this way as well? Or do you think you'll one day lose interest as well?

Powder 01-24-2018 08:24 AM

Probably, I dunno. Money is the only reason I'm not more active than I am, but that's for the best as I've got little space anyway.

TurtleWA 01-24-2018 09:57 AM

I don’t plan on stopping no.

sdp 01-24-2018 10:21 AM

Stop completely? not really but then again I don't buy that many toys. I mean when compared to the average person they likely think I'm a maniac but when I compare myself to people online I have a tiny collection :lol:

I've mentioned it before but I like to keep only one "book shelf" worth of toys, I gave myself some wiggle room recently to "one book shelf and one box where I rotate toys out" :lol:

As much as I'm a completist and want to have everything of a line or at least entire teams I realized it was an exercise in futility. I just don't have enough room unless I get as rich as Kim DotCom or at least an entire basement like some people do :lol:. I had most of my figures just stacked together and it all looked like a mess and ugly. Once I started getting rid of figures I might not've had the entire collection as I once envisioned but the few figures there looked awesome doing cool poses instead of all crowded next to each other.

Another factor was that as I got older I started feeling a bit embarrassed by having such a large collection as an adult and that's not a good thing. I love toys but they're also not that huge part of my life and they were taking a huge part of my house. I like other stuff more than toys and yet toys were taking up a larger amount of space.

Also my significant other doesn't get it and while she doesn't really bother me with it, I know she's putting up with it and for me it's not something so important for me for her to deal with a huge collection that I myself feel embarrassed about, because it's not as if it's her that is making me get rid of them, I'm doing it myself regardless.

A smaller collection is indeed better, being a minimalist is awesome instead of feeling like a hoarder like many collectors tend to be and I was. Yes I may miss not having complete teams but being selective makes for some awesome displays.

I still have figures I need to get rid off and yes it's difficult to sell when I like it, and yes when a new line is announced I'm heavily tempted to get everything in it because it all looks cool. Not only toys but it's the same with video games/comics and back in the day movies/music.

CyberCubed 01-24-2018 12:57 PM

I stopped shortly after 2013, after the first wave of Nick figures came out. I just couldn't justify it anymore and sold off a lot my old toys outside the classic TMNT line.

Krutch 01-24-2018 12:59 PM

I've pretty much limited myself to statues and boardgames. Though I don't really display my statues and i'm pretty much out of storage space for boardgames, so...

yes?

Prowler 01-24-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1741622)
Probably, I dunno. Money is the only reason I'm not more active than I am, but that's for the best as I've got little space anyway.

Money isn't really my primary reason but I gotta tell you, if I was a billionaire I think I'd be buying a lot of TMNT and wrestling action figures and sets again just to build a huge collection and dedicate a couple of rooms of my future mansion to then... so in part it is a money issue for me too I guess :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1741638)
Stop completely? not really but then again I don't buy that many toys. I mean when compared to the average person they likely think I'm a maniac but when I compare myself to people online I have a tiny collection :lol:

I've mentioned it before but I like to keep only one "book shelf" worth of toys, I gave myself some wiggle room recently to "one book shelf and one box where I rotate toys out" :lol:

As much as I'm a completist and want to have everything of a line or at least entire teams I realized it was an exercise in futility. I just don't have enough room unless I get as rich as Kim DotCom or at least an entire basement like some people do :lol:. I had most of my figures just stacked together and it all looked like a mess and ugly. Once I started getting rid of figures I might not've had the entire collection as I once envisioned but the few figures there looked awesome doing cool poses instead of all crowded next to each other.

Another factor was that as I got older I started feeling a bit embarrassed by having such a large collection as an adult and that's not a good thing. I love toys but they're also not that huge part of my life and they were taking a huge part of my house. I like other stuff more than toys and yet toys were taking up a larger amount of space.

Also my significant other doesn't get it and while she doesn't really bother me with it, I know she's putting up with it and for me it's not something so important for me for her to deal with a huge collection that I myself feel embarrassed about, because it's not as if it's her that is making me get rid of them, I'm doing it myself regardless.

A smaller collection is indeed better, being a minimalist is awesome instead of feeling like a hoarder like many collectors tend to be and I was. Yes I may miss not having complete teams but being selective makes for some awesome displays.

I still have figures I need to get rid off and yes it's difficult to sell when I like it, and yes when a new line is announced I'm heavily tempted to get everything in it because it all looks cool. Not only toys but it's the same with video games/comics and back in the day movies/music.

I was never a hoarder when it came to toys. I never saw the appeal of those TMNT action figures where the Turtles are dressed up as Samurais and other things. I just like having the Turtles as they should be and then the main bad guys and a couple of vehicles.

I do hoard video games, however. But that's because I plan to actually play them later on :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1741694)
I stopped shortly after 2013, after the first wave of Nick figures came out. I just couldn't justify it anymore and sold off a lot my old toys outside the classic TMNT line.

Yeah that's the thing. Even if I see a cool action figure or plush toy or wtv I end up thinking to myself "why would I need this? I no longer play with toys" and then realise it'd be a waste of money. I don't like buying things just to let them lay around the house.

inaheap 01-25-2018 12:56 PM

Nope. Although if TMNT goes into hiatus again I may slow down a lot. It is what I mainly collect. It's funny because as a kid I didn't get into all the funny TMNT designs a lot. Just the core characters, and a few that I liked from the show. I didn't even get Krang until a few years ago. But now I find I like a lot of the crazy designs and colors. I do want to focus more on accessories for my old TMNT. I have a lot of figures that are loose no weapons.

Autbot_Benz 01-25-2018 12:58 PM

that's a big nope from me I like having my room filled with figures of franchises I adore.

Candy Kappa 01-25-2018 01:06 PM

I'll probably not stop, just be more cautions with expenses and space. I'm a lot more critical about what toys I buy now then years before, like I've barely bought any Playmates Nick figures beyond Wave 1 of the Basic line and those I have bought I'm getting rid of like the Classics Toon figures.

I'm also more into Japanese imports and other high-end figures, quality over quantity.

AT-Man 01-25-2018 02:06 PM

I won't stop for good, but I've already completed the one collection (MOTU 200X) that I really care about, so the rest will be individual neat figures here and there.

If there will be another MOTU line in the future, though, I will most likely start collecting them immediately.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-04-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AT-Man (Post 1741919)
If there will be another MOTU line in the future, though, I will most likely start collecting them immediately.

A new film is planned, so maybe you will be able to collect again.

AT-Man 02-04-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1744177)
A new film is planned, so maybe you will be able to collect again.

I have absolutely zero expectations. First of all, they're not really making it. If they are, it's gonna be even worse than the first one. Even if it's good, the toys will not sell because no one will care.

ProactiveMan 02-05-2018 10:29 PM

I almost did a few times. I came pretty close to getting rid of everything last year, but I changed my mind.

I don't buy very much at all these days - maybe a couple of things a year.

MsMarvelDuckie 02-16-2018 03:07 PM

Stop collecting? Heck, I only got STARTED a few years ago! I started with the PD movie figs, and branched out to a lot of the classic and a few of the cooler Nick line, especially with villains and side characters. I have a few variants I like, like some of the Monster and Samurai variants, a few themed ones that I thought were cool, and a couple of vehicles and TMNT III movie figs. Mostly, I just enjoy having a hobby I can show off and really be creative with. Mine don't just sit on a shelf- well some of the bigger ones do- but I pise and play with them by taking action shots and sharing them here or on DA. Have mostly started getting more selective, but I'm not a completist anyway, and never intended on getting every fig out there to begin with.